Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think believing canadians are so dumb that flashing a meaningless formula would scare them away is worse than not understanding the formula.

It's nice to believe she's dumb and bad at math because the only alternative is that she's evil and hateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

And hasn't Blair apparently done a surprisingly okay job with the marijuana thing? Like the whole Liberal "it's only to prevent criming" thing is bullshit but I remember reading from something in here that he was actually doing a reasonable job listening to people and so on? Could have been bad coverage, I guess.

Just a bang up job*.

*No, really, by Liberal party standards he's doing exactly what he should be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dreylad posted:

Yeah well who ended up winning the war huh??

No seriously someone tell me who won

Definitely the British. They achieved all their war aims (make this war go away, don't lose territory in the process), while giving up very little in return. The losers, as usual, were the Native Americans.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
CTV has a few more details

quote:

OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to give his year-old cabinet a facelift on Tuesday, shifting some weak ministers and promoting strong performers as his government braces for Donald Trump's imminent ascension to the U.S. presidency.
Sources tell The Canadian Press that the shuffle will involve at least six people.

Those expected to be moved include International Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland, who is believed likely to replace Stephane Dion at Foreign Affairs [:cry:].

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau holds a news conference with his cabinet after they were sworn-in at Rideau Hall, the official residence of Governor General David Johnston, in Ottawa Wednesday, November 4, 2015.
Freeland, a former economics journalist with extensive contacts in the United States, is credited with deftly navigating through some eleventh-hour obstacles that threatened last fall to scupper the Canada-European Union free trade agreement -- potentially valuable experience for dealing with the incoming Trump administration.

Trump, whose inauguration takes place Jan. 20, has vowed to adopt an unapologetically protectionist, America-first policy on trade, including re-opening or even tearing up the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Dion's tenure at Foreign Affairs has been a rocky one, marred by controversy over his approval of a $15-billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia. His prickly demeanour could also be ill-suited to dealing with the unpredictable Trump, who has demonstrated a tendency to easily take offence.

Rumours have swirled for months that Dion was to be named ambassador to France but he has denied any interest in the plum post.

News of the shuffle leaked out Monday, just as the Prime Minister's Office confirmed that Trudeau's two top aides, Katie Telford and Gerald Butts, have been meeting with some of Trump's senior advisers, building bridges to the incoming administration.

Also believed to be in the shuffle mix are Status of Women Minister Patty Hajdu, seen as a strong performer, and Democratic Institutions Minister Maryam Monsef -- widely criticized for her handling of Trudeau's promise to reform Canada's voting system.

Employment Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk is also expected to be moved.

Sources, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to disclose details publicly, expect at least one new face in cabinet: Francois-Philippe Champagne, parliamentary secretary to Finance Minister Bill Morneau.
In his first cabinet of 30 ministers, Trudeau famously appointed an equal number of men and women "because it's 2015." That parity was upset last fall when Hunter Tootoo resigned from cabinet and the Liberal caucus to seek treatment for alcohol addiction following what he later admitted was an inappropriate relationship with a female staffer.

The addition of Champagne would restore the gender balance, assuming Dion remains in cabinet in some capacity.

Another insider, speaking anonymously to discuss details not yet made public, said Tuesday's modest shuffle is part of a strategy to gradually renew the cabinet team, rather than conduct one massive shake-up midway through Trudeau's first mandate.
Another realignment of ministerial positions is likely in the summer before kicking off the second half on the mandate in the fall with a throne speech, said the insider.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Arivia posted:

Of course not. I was referring more to her chewing out the committee and saying they didn't do that job. That shitfuck was a pretty good example of "losing faith in the [serving] government to do its job", imo. Honestly I'd forgotten about the Gallagher laugher.

And hasn't Blair apparently done a surprisingly okay job with the marijuana thing? Like the whole Liberal "it's only to prevent criming" thing is bullshit but I remember reading from something in here that he was actually doing a reasonable job listening to people and so on? Could have been bad coverage, I guess.

In Massachusetts, they voted to legalize November 8th and proceeded to do so on December 15th.

So, no I don't think any Liberals are doing what I would call a good job.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Regardless of where he spends the holidays, does anyone really believe that the prime minister of Canada is "equal" to the average Canadian? Like, whose epiphany was triggered here?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

Regardless of where he spends the holidays, does anyone really believe that the prime minister of Canada is "equal" to the average Canadian? Like, whose epiphany was triggered here?

Presumably Ikantski's when he realized that no one reads his posts so he could feign outrage about it in a more reasonable context than when he posted the same thing last week.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

this certainly has the construction of a joke
https://twitter.com/CBCComedy/status/818627169840570369

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's like what you would get if you described a joke to an alien, with no native concept of humour or laughter.

I'd say it's like a joke told by a piece of software, but seebotschat was hilarious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like to wonder what jokes get left on the cutting room floor. Probably some triumphs of surrealism in there.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 9, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I like to wonder what jokes get left on the cutting room floor. Probably some triumphs of surrealism in there.

Maybe that's the problem, it's too curated, the truly genius humour gets filtered until we're left with something resembling a dad-joke as told by a particularly dull youth minister.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

infernal machines posted:

Maybe that's the problem, it's too curated, the truly genius humour gets filtered until we're left with something resembling a dad-joke as told by a particularly dull youth minister.

Comedy-by-committee would certainly fit the available evidence.

How lovely must the writers feel that loving Denny's and a dictionary are running tweet-circles around them? On Jan 25th, let's talk.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Norm Macdonald would tell the hell out of that terrible CBC Comedy joke tweet, to be fair

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 9, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sure, but that's something that requires actual delivery, not a tweet.

I can picture him doing it in the SNL weekend news update format, and it would work. On twitter, no.

quote:

Donald Trump has hated #MerylStreep ever since he was left cold by her film ...'The Fridges of Madison County'.

The pause and the emphasis are key.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 10, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As long as we're criticizing CBC for being utter poo poo, how about this bullshit clickbait headline:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-cam-newton-1.3928346?campaign_id=A100

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What's bullshit or clickbait about "Don Cherry called out for Cam Newton criticism"?

I mean it's on twitter, but that's literally what happened as illustrated by the article. Like, it's not news, but it's sport's commentary news, which is a thing CBC covers as part of their sports coverage. The headline doesn't seem misleading or inflammatory, unless there's some context I'm missing here.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 10, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

brucio posted:

I wouldn't turn a beer down from anyone unless they were offering Molson Canadian

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

What's bullshit or clickbait about "Don Cherry called out for Cam Newton criticism"?

I mean it's on twitter, but that's literally what happened as illustrated by the article. Like, it's not news, but it's sport's commentary news, which is a thing CBC covers as part of their sports coverage. The headline doesn't seem misleading or inflammatory, unless there's some context I'm missing here.

Oh poo poo, for some reason it was showing up on my news feed as "Don Cherry gets sacked for Cam Newton criticism." I don't know why it doesn't show up on the article, but some of the comments mention it so it wasn't just me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

Oh poo poo, for some reason it was showing up on my news feed as "Don Cherry gets sacked for Cam Newton criticism." I don't know why it doesn't show up on the article, but some of the comments mention it so it wasn't just me.

Football pun?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Looks like that was the original headline, Google still returns the CBC mobile site with that line if you search for it specifically.

GG guys.

Subjunctive posted:

Football pun?

Either too clever for the CBC or too obscure for Canadians.

I mean who in the hell watches "football" in Canada?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
In other news, it snowed last night, so yet again Calgary showed itself to be terrible at being a Canadian city, and Calgary Transit showed itself to be terrible at being a transit service in a Canadian city.

HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN!??!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

i miss kids in the hall too

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

P.d0t posted:

In other news, it snowed last night, so yet again Calgary showed itself to be terrible at being a Canadian city, and Calgary Transit showed itself to be terrible at being a transit service in a Canadian city.

Don't worry, I'll just merge onto Deerfoot at 50, surely that will help

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Just put your four ways on. that means you're not responsible for all the dumb poo poo you're currently doing.

It also means you can park anywhere. four way flashers are like the ultimate lifehack.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's like what you would get if you described a joke to an alien, with no native concept of humour or laughter.

I'd say it's like a joke told by a piece of software, but seebotschat was hilarious.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

P.d0t posted:

Barrie city council is freaking out that they have spent most of the winter maintenance budget already.

Like, this city averages 220cm of snow a year on top of being located int he middle of the loving snow belt. How do you not set aside a huge budget based on worst case scenarios?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

PittTheElder posted:

Coming at it from a transit angle, the bus stop by my work (and the sidewalk leading up to it, which has never been plowed all winter) basically had snow plowed all over it from the street.

At the other end of the spectrum, trying to catch a bus that's supposed to be running every 5 minutes at ~5pm actually results in a 20 minute wait (and this is going out of downtown) meanwhile the same route but going in the opposite direction apparently has 3-4 buses go by in the same timeframe :wtf:

And we got, what? Looked like 2-3cm when I left this morning.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Furnaceface posted:

Barrie city council is freaking out that they have spent most of the winter maintenance budget already.

Like, this city averages 220cm of snow a year on top of being located int he middle of the loving snow belt. How do you not set aside a huge budget based on worst case scenarios?

I didn't catch the name of it, but apparently there's a city in B.C. that carries over their snow removal budget from year to year. When winter forgets to arrive. as it's done for the last four years, the pot builds up and the city doesn't need to freak out when a dump of snow lasts for a week or more.

Why are snowbelt cities using the same asshat fiscal planning policies as Victoria? Did someone miss the memo that global warming means more heat in the atmosphere -> more water in the atmosphere -> more weather and not necessarily less snow?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Winnipeg has already broken snowfall records, there's no room left on the boulevards and back lanes so it's a constant battle between street clearing sidewalk clearing and parking pad clearing and we just got another 5-10cm last night.

Instead of biking to work this morning I woke up early to strap on snowshoes.

This has been a winter of extremes across the continent from what I hear.

Also the ground was 98% saturated before it froze so when all this snow melts it's most likely going to cause massive flooding.

At least I'll get to take paid time off for when I want to go help sandbag, from what I hear.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I mean who in the hell watches "football" in Canada?

Heh, don't you mean ... [SMUGFACE INTENSIFIES] handegg

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-government-cabinet-shuffle-2017-1.3928723

quote:

Chrystia Freeland will be appointed Canada's new foreign affairs minister in a sweeping Liberal cabinet shakeup to be announced later today, CBC News has learned.

Freeland will replace Stéphane Dion, who is leaving politics to take a diplomatic post.

John McCallum also is leaving politics, and will be named Canada's ambassador to China.

Other changes to be announced today, confirmed by CBC News:

François-Philippe Champagne will become minister of International Trade
Patty Hajdu will move from Status of Women to Labour
Maryam Monsef will transfer from Democratic Institutions to Status of Women
Karina Gould will be named minister of Democratic Institutions
Ahmed Hussen become minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Haven't women suffered enough?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

Karina Gould will be named minister of Democratic Institutions

A McGill grad who graduated high school in 2005. I remain cautiously optimistic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

A McGill grad who graduated high school in 2005. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Maybe someone with degrees from McGill and Oxford will be slightly less anti-intellectual but I wouldn't count on it if that's the strategy the Liberal Party wants to use to shut down electoral reform.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hopefully Monsef will be replaced with someone who will be receptive to alternatives.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

Maybe someone with degrees from McGill and Oxford will be slightly less anti-intellectual but I wouldn't count on it if that's the strategy the Liberal Party wants to use to shut down electoral reform.

Seems to me that somebody with those academic chops could still be convinced to screw over the average Canadian 'for the greater good.' Noblesse oblige and all that.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

:freep:/ Trudeau isn't a Catholic, he's a Muslim!!

Hand Knit posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-government-cabinet-shuffle-2017-1.3928723
Ahmed Hussen become minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

:freep: / Secret Muslim Trudeau agenda confirmed

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Hopefully Monsef will be replaced with someone who will be receptive to alternatives.

It's not to late to deport her just saiyan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

To be a fly on the wall of Mike Wallace's campaign office in the upper-middle class stronghold of Burlington when he lost the election to a 28 year old.

Burlington's liberal MPs have been pretty solid though, had Paddy Torsney for over a decade before that half-melted stick of butter Wallace got elected.

gently caress I just realized I may have gone to high school with a loving cabinet minister. I'm officially middle aged.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 10, 2017