Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Pan Dulce posted:

I'm convinced Chidi's in the Good Place because he did nothing. Like, he's absolute neutral from Futurama.

He sought enlightenment, at the very least. And he sought the hell out of it, spending so much time seeking it. The enlightenment he sought was in the area of ethics, so... well, seeking the light is worth some points, I'm sure. Besides, I think you have to have a high score to get into The Good Place. I don't think it's as simple as coming out above zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

STAC Goat posted:

He's super moral and ethical. Like, there's no question about that and he's repeatedly done the selfless/right thing in the Good Place at great risk of his own fate. But yeah, he clearly spend his entire life too indecisive to do any tangible act of good or bad.

He's kind of an interesting foil to Tahani in that respect where she clearly did a lot of good acts but seemed to get a lot of personal satisfaction and smugness from it and was driven by a need to be praised. Tahani's kind of a case of "if you can rack up the points with deeds the why doesn't matter" and Chidi is an example of "if your intentions and thoughts are pure and good then it doesn't matter that you never did anything about it."

And then you have Real Eleanor who appears to be the best of both worlds.

He made Fake Eleanor mostly good from not quite evil. That's pretty impressive. Honestly my guess is that his students became fantastic people who helped the world. Or that his death inspired his friend to become the greatest person ever. Remember that he did stand up to Michael when Eleanor was taken away. Chidi's pretty good in his resting state. He's neutral when he needs to make a decision. He's fantastic when he goes with his gut and yells at people making bad decisions.

Also he's ripped. That probably counts for something. Abs have to be lawful good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Soylentbits posted:

He made Fake Eleanor mostly good from not quite evil. That's pretty impressive. Honestly my guess is that his students became fantastic people who helped the world.

Yeah, I buy that. But I also don't think the Good Place point system is necessarily based on tangible results. Jianyu is presented to us as someone who spent his life in prayer and meditation. Unless he was always bringing about world change and I missed that just the "holy living" was enough to score him high. So Chidi devoting his life to ethics, even in a purely academic sense, would theoretically be in the same area.

Like I said, I think that's an interesting aspect of the points system. Its not a bunch of similar minded and living people. Tahani, Chidi, and Real Eleanor all lived very different lives and very different motivators and personalities.

All this reminds me that somewhere in the bad place a Buddhist Monk is suffering in silence at the hands of Adam Scott.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

All this reminds me that somewhere in the bad place a Buddhist Monk is suffering in silence at the hands of Adam Scott.

If we don't get to see that then I will be munster-forking mad.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

Also he's ripped. That probably counts for something. Abs have to be lawful good.
I liked that with all of her descriptions and observations of him, it was "he's surprisingly jacked" that made her realize she was in love.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

I love that a show in the UK might only have one episode per season.
That's not even a joke, it's just a thing that actually happens. Jonathan Creek has had season lengths of 5, 6, 1, 6, 1, 6, 1, 1, 1, 3 and 1 episodes respectively, spaced out over almost twenty years, including a five year gap between 2004 and 2009.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

That's not even a joke, it's just a thing that actually happens. Jonathan Creek has had season lengths of 5, 6, 1, 6, 1, 6, 1, 1, 1, 3 and 1 episodes respectively, spaced out over almost twenty years, including a five year gap between 2004 and 2009.

So, it's like the Venture Bros., except with shorter breaks between seasons.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The whole gimmick of the show is that, over time, it becomes clear that none of them deserve to be in the good place. We start with Eleanor, then Jianyu, then we realize the flaws and ethical shortcomings of other characters, etc. Tahani is judgmental and Chidi is paralyzed. It's a situation similar to the one Yudhishthira faces in the Mahabarata.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's almost like the criteria for acceptance was designed by aliens who don't understand humanity

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

precision posted:

It's almost like the criteria for acceptance was designed by aliens who don't understand humanity

:ssh:

I actually really hope it's not aliens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well I mean, Michael is certainly an "alien" in the most literal definition. He mentions how he's never had a body until recently. So they're "aliens" as opposed to "anything remotely human or based on humans"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

precision posted:

Well I mean, Michael is certainly an "alien" in the most literal definition. He mentions how he's never had a body until recently. So they're "aliens" as opposed to "anything remotely human or based on humans"

I'd be ok if they were rocking Old Testament angels like wheels of fire with wings. Imagine Ted Danson's voice coming out of something like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

stone cold posted:

I actually really hope it's not aliens.

Janet designed it. Her asking if anyone objected, then ignoring Fake Eleanor and Tahani when they voiced that they obviously objected was fantastic.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

CountFosco posted:

The whole gimmick of the show is that, over time, it becomes clear that none of them deserve to be in the good place. We start with Eleanor, then Jianyu, then we realize the flaws and ethical shortcomings of other characters, etc. Tahani is judgmental and Chidi is paralyzed. It's a situation similar to the one Yudhishthira faces in the Mahabarata.

Does that make Real Eleanor Karna? Wait does that make Jianyu Arjuna and Janet Krishna???

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
She's a robot caught in an infinite loop and he's an idiot

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really hope that's how Jason died, in the stupidest manner possible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doing what he loved, doing a bunch of whippits.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I really hope that's how Jason died, in the stupidest manner possible.

It was actually dumber than I thought it would be. The snorkel was the best part.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

You guys sit tight, i'm gonna go murder Janet again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really like that they went into the fact that Eleanor doing good because she expected a reward wasn't actually doing good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wasn't a failed DJ, I was pre-successful.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Love that Eleanor now has more points than Tahani.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
:siren: Neutral Zone confirmed, The Good Place theology completed :siren:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Kraps posted:

The way Janet talked about it it seemed like there's just one woman there, kinda hanging out? Maybe I didn't hear that right. :v:

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Polygynous posted:

The way Janet talked about it it seemed like there's just one woman there, kinda hanging out? Maybe I didn't hear that right. :v:

You heard right. Her name is Mindy. Hopefully, it's Pam Dawber.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kraps posted:

Maybe they're going to visit the (wo)man in the high castle.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This show is a forking treasure!!!

I was disappointed that Sean wasn't a big name guest star though, just because people had been hoping for someone like Nick Offerman which would have been fun.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I really like that they went into the fact that Eleanor doing good because she expected a reward wasn't actually doing good.

My only complaint about that was that it took longer than 7.32 seconds for any of the main characters to realize this. Of course, most of the other people apparently deserve their place in the Good... uhm, place. So, maybe they're just so unaccustomed to selfishness that they can't easily discern selfish motives from noble ones. That, and since they weren't all that selfish in real life, they don't know from experience that it can ruin the spirit of good deeds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well the Good Place people are also kind of weird ethically. Like you'd think a town of the best people would all be a little more forgiving and understanding towards Eleanor but instead they're hung up over things that are (a) accidental on Eleanor's part and not entirely her fault and (b) really pretty petty in the grand scheme of things.

It fits well with how Tahini is pretty arrogant and Chidi is so impotently indecisive. The system is flawed and the folks in this neighborhood really are goobers even if theyre good people. But hey, probody's nerfect.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AbsolutelySane posted:

You heard right. Her name is Mindy. Hopefully, it's Pam Dawber.

I hope it's Mindy Kaling

blue squares posted:

I was disappointed that Sean wasn't a big name guest star though, just because people had been hoping for someone like Nick Offerman which would have been fun.

While he's not that big, Marc Evan Jackson is pretty recognizable. I would like to see something where he and Seth Morris play brothers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

blue squares posted:

It was weird how they focused on his feet and then slowly panned up to reveal that it's... oh, that guy, I guess I've seen him somewhere before but I don't really remember where. :shrug:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mameluke posted:

While he's not that big, Marc Evan Jackson is pretty recognizable. I would like to see something where he and Seth Morris play brothers.

He's... from Earth. :smug:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought there was something kind of suiting about the big buildup to Sean and slow reveal only to be... that guy. It kind of fits the idea of the guy perfectly, I think. He's the impartial arbitrator of people's eternal fate. He's... that guy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tiggum posted:

It was weird how they focused on his feet and then slowly panned up to reveal that it's... oh, that guy, I guess I've seen him somewhere before but I don't really remember where. :shrug:

He's Captain Hold's husband in Brooklyn 99. And he is pretty good at disapproving glares and snarks.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 13, 2017

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He's... from Earth. :smug:

I laughed way to hard at this post. This show is great.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

He's Captain Hold's husband in Brooklyn 99. And he is pretty good at disapproving glares and snarks.

Yeah, I was excited when I saw him. It's Kevin!!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

STAC Goat posted:

I thought there was something kind of suiting about the big buildup to Sean and slow reveal only to be... that guy. It kind of fits the idea of the guy perfectly, I think. He's the impartial arbitrator of people's eternal fate. He's... that guy.

IMO it would have been far funnier if it would have been a regular guy in shorts and a t-shirt.

edit: But I must add that I'm sure this guy is hilarious. This is the best TV comedy in years and I don't think there's been a down note yet.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Your Taint posted:

IMO it would have been far funnier if it would have been a regular guy in shorts and a t-shirt.
And the guy is Adam Sandler!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It occurs to me that Fake Eleanor should have gotten similar sacrifice points from giving herself up to save Michael. So that means she was around negative million points before she got the Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the casting on Sean was perfect, that guy is amazing at the kind of deadpan bureaucracy you'd expect (from aliens)

• Locked thread