Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Toast Museum posted:

I know we're talking a lot about setting background, but we should probably use spoilers for realizations that yet-to-be-introduced characters have during the course of the story.

Quoting this so you can't edit it later. Hmm, yes, the incredibly important plot development that mustn't be spoiled of [character name] speculating on future warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milky Moor posted:

Quoting this so you can't edit it later. Hmm, yes, the incredibly important plot development that mustn't be spoiled of [character name] speculating on future warfare.

If only I'd said it were incredibly important :allears:

Sure, it's minor, but it's a conclusion the character comes to as a result of her experiences during the story, not just background information about the setting. I'm all for erring on the side of caution and not spoiling little character beats for people who haven't read the books.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Toast Museum posted:

If only I'd said it were incredibly important :allears:

Sure, it's minor, but it's a conclusion the character comes to as a result of her experiences during the story, not just background information about the setting. I'm all for erring on the side of caution and not spoiling little character beats for people who haven't read the books.

I think we can be one hundred percent certain that no one is going to read those few lines in one of the first chapters of Caliban's War and think THAT FUCKWIT MILKY SPOILED IT, THIS WHOLE BOOK IS RUINED, IF ONLY TOAST MUSEUM HAD PROTECTED ME.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I, for one, appreciate conservative spoiler tagging because if you read enough minor details, you can start to infer the bigger picture. :shrug:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Finished reading Leviathan/Caliban over a long flight, the books really do read like an elaborate RPG session, and where the characters of significance are dynamic and keep rolling speech checks so the story can move in the "correct" direction.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also I finally got the significance of the term "protomolecule". It doesn't mean anything. It's just the megacorps who discovered it named it after themselves, as if they can control it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I think her concern is less“standard gee” and more “rifle behind every blade of grass”.

I'm really glad you spoilered the character's gender. That would have completely ruined things for people.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think you're reading a little too much into it. Protomolecule is a pretty good name for exactly what it is. A primitive, unevolved molecule that develops into a ton of different stuff depending on how it's used.

edit: vv Spoiled that for ya. Maybe I'm not remembering the first season of the show very well, but don't they talk about that in the first season after they find Julie and scramble to escape Eros? At least in terms of what it did to people and how, I mean.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 4, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Background details are one thing but that's a doozy of a spoiler in terms of the season coming up. There IS a book thread.

^- They barely say the name. Nothing concrete. Even that it was found, not made is only hinted at and people in this thread missed evidence on first watch.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 4, 2017

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah can we remember that there is a book thread, and that book spoilers either shouldn't be posted at all, or should have big obvious signs that you're talking about a book spoiler. Especially with Season 2 coming up soon, I don't want to see a spoilered post, think "I've seen all the aired TV episodes" and then read something that hasn't come up in the show yet.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Baronjutter posted:

Mars is like 1/3 gravity, I imagine even the proud disciplined warrior martians are gangly and weak. Also why are those idiots trying to terraform, mars gravity is too weak and no magnetic field, that poo poo's all going to get blown/burnt off.

From what I understand, if you established a Earth-like atmosphere on Mars, it would take a million years for it to be blown off. You're right that it would dissipate, and possibly screw over anyone living there. But the time the atmosphere lasts isn't the issue stopping terraforming.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZorajitZorajit posted:

From what I understand, if you established a Earth-like atmosphere on Mars, it would take a million years for it to be blown off. You're right that it would dissipate, and possibly screw over anyone living there. But the time the atmosphere lasts isn't the issue stopping terraforming.

Ah that's not so bad then, sounds like it wouldn't be totally impossible to maintain it long term then, so long as you have BELTER SLAVES feeding your terraforming facilities with whatever they need to replace the slowly diminishing atmosphere. Still, for all the energy mars has put into terraforming they could have built millions of O'Neill cylinders in orbit instead, all at 1g and lovely breathable atmospheres and what ever sort of environment they want.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Milky Moor posted:

I think we can be one hundred percent certain that no one is going to read those few lines in one of the first chapters of Caliban's War and think THAT FUCKWIT MILKY SPOILED IT, THIS WHOLE BOOK IS RUINED, IF ONLY TOAST MUSEUM HAD PROTECTED ME.

I think we can be one hundred percent certain that there is a book thread where you can post book spoilers. If you post something from the books in this (the TV show) thread, use spoiler tags.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

NmareBfly posted:

^- They barely say the name. Nothing concrete. Even that it was found, not made is only hinted at and people in this thread missed evidence on first watch.

Gotcha, maybe I'd better finish rewatching season 1 before I post much more in here. Really didn't intend to get into book territory there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just saw this linked in another thread, realistic space combat game, looks like KSP with guns and massive amounts of space-autism.
https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/

It's like project rho, the game.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm really glad you spoilered the character's gender. That would have completely ruined things for people.

You are welcome, friend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

Ah that's not so bad then, sounds like it wouldn't be totally impossible to maintain it long term then, so long as you have BELTER SLAVES feeding your terraforming facilities with whatever they need to replace the slowly diminishing atmosphere.

Yeah, a thicker atmosphere would block plenty of radiation too. You're not wrong that the sun would be blowing it off but the atmosphere is really big, maintaining the pressure wouldn't be difficult for a civilization able to do the initial terraforming.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, a thicker atmosphere would block plenty of radiation too. You're not wrong that the sun would be blowing it off but the atmosphere is really big, maintaining the pressure wouldn't be difficult for a civilization able to do the initial terraforming.

What about that toxic soil tho?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

What about that toxic soil tho?

Poop on it and grow potatoes until it's not toxic anymore.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well, that has officially already been done in the Expanse Universe, so there's that.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
New "what to expect" video.

https://youtu.be/rk94uwbOoJQ

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sheeeeeit they're gonna need some more of those wall patches....

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

bring back old gbs posted:

sheeeeeit they're gonna need some more of those wall patches....

That shot looks so loving cool (and terrifying).

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
so goddamn hype for this poo poo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is that sequence the end of book 1?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Phi230 posted:

Is that sequence the end of book 1?

That's my guess, but they've made enough changes that it could be something else.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of shots in the season 2 trailers that have me wondering what the gently caress is going on.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

grilldos posted:

There are a lot of shots in the season 2 trailers that have me wondering what the gently caress is going on.

I imagine season two is going to tighten up the story and lose major chunks of book two and blend what's left into the end of the first one, since it's pretty much the same story as book one and 75% unnecessary padding. I expect it'll be an even bigger departure with three and four because there's a lot of dead wood to trim, and the stories are even more similar beat per beat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having read book 2, I agree most of it can be cut out, especially the conspiracy subplot which is already bought forward into season 1 with Ava.

Also, I was joking earlier today with one of my colleagues, one of the authors read a Wikipedia article on T cell immune deficiencies and decided to cram it into the book 2. It's cool that my field sort of got a shoutout.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also if you want a story about the meaninglessness and helplessness of humanity in the face of greater forces in the universe read cixin liu 3 body trilogy, esp the last story

your not stopping the aliens with a freaking air-gap

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've just started reading the first book in this series, can anybody tell me how far the events of the tv show go in relation to the book??

Thx

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Season 1 of the TV show broadly covers about half or 2/3rds of the first book, I think. But it also has some characters brought forward from later books and some entirely new material too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The book authors are also on the writing team of the show, and they said the show is how they'd probably write the books, if they had to do it again after knowing with what they came up so far.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Boing posted:

Season 1 of the TV show broadly covers about half or 2/3rds of the first book, I think. But it also has some characters brought forward from later books and some entirely new material too.

Yeah. It's almost exactly half of Leviathan Wakes, with scenes that are flashbacks in later books incorporated. It looks like Season 2 will be the second half of the first book.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Based on the trailers so far, season 2 will almost certainly dip into book 2 content, though I think the continued divergence will make that sort of comparison harder over time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In the grim dark future, the Kiwi accent is not extinct

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So is there anywhere that I can actually stream the show in the US? I keep looking for it on the standard streaming sites, and I know that Neflix has it, but only in the UK/EU.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jadebullet posted:

So is there anywhere that I can actually stream the show in the US? I keep looking for it on the standard streaming sites, and I know that Neflix has it, but only in the UK/EU.

In the US it's on Amazon Prime.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jadebullet posted:

https://www.amazon.com/The-Expanse-Season-1/dp/B018BZ3SCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

In case you need a season one recap.

• Locked thread