Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GeneX posted:

house cats are awful, but big cats own

Just when I thought the opinions couldn't get any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GeneX posted:

You suck at opinions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rinski posted:

I agree! And a lot of people (including Richard Garfield!) believe sideboarding is an important part of the game, or that good sideboard cards are an integral tool for creating self-correcting formats. I'm just pointing out, apropos of nothing, that it's possible opinions like, "there's obviously middle ground between zero and Choke" or "some people enjoy building rogue decks that use clever, tech-y card choices" might benefit from more voices. Maybe to drown out voices that say silly things like, "I hate losing to sideboard cards," or "hey, maybe we don't need sideboarding at all."

Also FWIW people complain about Modern being the format of "who draws their SB hate first?" but if you believe the people on this board it's the most popular Constructed format right now sooooo

Speaking of which, I wonder if this means I can now finish my Leyline and Grafdigger's playsets on the cheap. And I do need a few Life from the Loam for a deck...

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/Epiccardgame/status/818602745565446145

Amazing, amazing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GeneX posted:

What the gently caress

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
history will vindicate me

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GeneX posted:

house cats are awful

man this thread has the hottest takes

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Hellsau posted:

Look I can understand banning mage to preemptively weaken the Copy Cat deck, but Copter was one of the few things that could threaten the opponent's Saheeli if they curved Inspector into two drop into just running the Saheeli out turn three. I don't understand leaving actual Twin combo in standard.

The classic solution.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
A bit disappointed in these standard bans. I had wanted to get back into standard with some friends, I had basically a complete GB delerium deck with liliana's, flayers, 4 copters, and 1-2 Emrakuls, but haven't brought it to any events yet since my friends were still working on their decks. The reason I originally stopped playing standard was because of the cards becoming worthless due to rotation. Now they're worthless because they got banned for being "too good", awesome.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My heart aches for all of you that want to play Emmy but can't. It really does.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
everyone whined for months on end about how oppressive and unfair emrakul and copter were, now they're banned and everyone is either complaining or all 'lol wizards'

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

everyone whined for months on end about how oppressive and unfair emrakul and copter were, now they're banned and everyone is either complaining or all 'lol wizards'

Most magic posts are just noise.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think I would be more sympathetic to them using bans to try to depower the format if they hadn't just reprinted splinter loving twin.

Not to mention the power level of aether revolt appears higher on average anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

You know what deck got better after the bans? Lantern control. Tron and r/g Val matchups all day for me please.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It'd be better to print good answers than to ban cards. Wizards could very easily have made one of those cycling artifacts into a Nihil Spellbomb-type card, which would have seen minimal play if delirium wasn't great, while acting as a safety valve if graveyard strategies turned out to be too strong. If those sorts of answers existed, bans probably wouldn't be necessary.

It's totally reasonable to think that emrakul and copter are problems that need to be dealt with somehow, while also thinking that banning the cards instead of having good answers printed for them indicates bad things about the set design.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

too bad epic is poo poo

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

vegetables posted:

Is there any real precedent for a Standard ban like the one on Smuggler's Copter in terms of its unexpectedness? I remember when JtMS and Stoneforge Mystic got banned Wizards more or less openly told everyone beforehand. They seem to have been far less reluctant to ban this time round, and I'd be interested in idle speculation around why.

Their reasoning is pretty consistent with affinity's ban, but there isn't a card that has warped a format so aggressively since affinity (which they waited too long on). JTMS wasn't an issue when he was introduced and neither was stoneforge. In fact, I was picking up stoneforges for $1-$2 for a year before they got broken.

e: copycat is splinter twin the same way that LED is black lotus. Similar end result but wildly different setup.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

I don't think anyone expected affinity to be nuked from orbit as hard as it was when saviors came out. I can say that, for example, ancient den being banned was a surprise to me

Naw all the artifact lands needed to be banned, otherwise Krark-Clan Ironworks would have instantly taken over the format. KCI was already really good and only had trouble against Affinity because of Disciple of the Vault, if you remove Ravager Affinity from the format suddenly it's combo winter again. Combo spring I guess, the bannings were in March.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
Gonna play the poo poo out of Dampening Pulse and not worry about combo. Also makes Ishkana worse.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Man, Liliana is going to get more expensive, isn't she? At least I have two.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sigma-X posted:

e: copycat is splinter twin the same way that LED is black lotus. Similar end result but wildly different setup.

wow I almost missed this, this is actually the dumbest thing in the thread

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Man, Liliana is going to get more expensive, isn't she? At least I have two.

Maybe not.. All the best Liliana decks were also Emrakul decks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mcmagic posted:

Maybe not.. All the best Liliana decks were also Emrakul decks.

I was thinking all PWs get better with copter gone, and one EDM mythic is getting devalued.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I'm glad I won't have to play against Copter or Emrakul in standard after Aether Revolt drops. Reflector Mage was annoying but I don't think it was ban worthy, much more annoying in the prior standard.

GGT is a good ban that just neuters it a little bit but it wouldn't surprise me if the deck is viable enough to have people griping for another ban in the next year

Not sad at all about Git Probe going. Sucks that it splash damages Storm (which is already, what, tier 3 now?) and Grixis Delver but the impact it'll have on Infect and Death's Shadow is probably worth it

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

A big flaming stink posted:

I think I would be more sympathetic to them using bans to try to depower the format if they hadn't just reprinted splinter loving twin.

They banned twin right after reprinting it too. Just give it time!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

You know what deck got better after the bans? Lantern control. Tron and r/g Val matchups all day for me please.

Ew, no thanks. There's a new player at our store who's learning the ropes and someone at the store told him to build Lantern Control, I wanted to put their head through a table. Plus he's building Mill which makes him a kindred spirit.

E:

Dehtraen posted:

Not sad at all about Git Probe going. Sucks that it splash damages Storm (which is already, what, tier 3 now?) and Grixis Delver but the impact it'll have on Infect and Death's Shadow is probably worth it

I wonder if they'll throw Storm a bone now that it's been driven into the dirt. I mentioned it before but a dude at my store bought a speculative Preordain playset last FNM.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 10, 2017

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
WB Tokens is the perfect deck for a Modern beginner

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Ew, no thanks. There's a new player at our store who's learning the ropes and someone at the store told him to build Lantern Control, I wanted to put their head through a table. Plus he's building Mill which makes him a kindred spirit.

E:

I wonder if they'll throw Storm a bone now that it's been driven into the dirt. I mentioned it before but a dude at my store bought a speculative Preordain playset last FNM.

I really don't think they want Storm to be good in Modern...

Re: Lantern Control, that is a rough deck for a new player. You have to have a very good knowledge of the format to play that deck.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

"speculative preordain playset" is not a thing anyone should ever say

i mean what the gently caress are we doing with ourselves

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Boco_T posted:

WB Tokens is the perfect deck for a Modern beginner

It is but its still expensive for what it is until they reprint Auriok Champion. Maybe modern master 2017 will have it. Don't play LOTV in the deck, its poo poo. Salt flats is still expensive too.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hellsau posted:

wow I almost missed this, this is actually the dumbest thing in the thread

There's plenty of dumber poo poo here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751954&userid=159908

Complaining that a sorcery speed 3 drop and 4 drop is the same as a instant speed 3 drop into 4 drop are the same is dumb as hell. Copy cat will be powerful in certain situations and probably as good as splinter twin in certain situations / matchups (just like LED is as good as Black Lotus) but its not going to be as flexible and straight powerful as splinter twin was and it won't allow for as wide a variety of deckbuilding (just like you can jam black lotus into any shell you want but can't do the same with LED)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

There's plenty of dumber poo poo here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751954&userid=159908

Complaining that a sorcery speed 3 drop and 4 drop is the same as a instant speed 3 drop into 4 drop are the same is dumb as hell. Copy cat will be powerful in certain situations and probably as good as splinter twin in certain situations / matchups (just like LED is as good as Black Lotus) but its not going to be as flexible and straight powerful as splinter twin was and it won't allow for as wide a variety of deckbuilding (just like you can jam black lotus into any shell you want but can't do the same with LED)

True, and yet beside the point. It will be oppressive to the format. Who cares if it's not quite as good as twin?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sdr782 posted:

A bit disappointed in these standard bans. I had wanted to get back into standard with some friends, I had basically a complete GB delerium deck with liliana's, flayers, 4 copters, and 1-2 Emrakuls, but haven't brought it to any events yet since my friends were still working on their decks. The reason I originally stopped playing standard was because of the cards becoming worthless due to rotation. Now they're worthless because they got banned for being "too good", awesome.

Sorry about your luck but you should probably check you aren't buying into the most degenerate standard in recent history before dropping $$$.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

It is but its still expensive for what it is until they reprint Auriok Champion. Maybe modern master 2017 will have it. Don't play LOTV in the deck, its poo poo. Salt flats is still expensive too.

I don't run Champion in my build :ssh: (because it is expensive). I do run a Lili but only because I picked it up for Junk, I'm going to drop it for that WB enchantment in AER that gets you Servos when your dudes die.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I know its a joke to talk about the Magic community's card evaluation skills, but its not hard to evaluate a 2 card combo that wins the game on the spot.

I'm not even kidding. Go sleeve up this deck with proxies and try it out. You won't be able to beat it without getting lucky.

What's the shell look like?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
House cats are just mediocre angry dogs, which a good dog has a 75% matchup against.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Sickening posted:

Yeah I had fine success never running Champion or Liliana or Bitterblossom. I mostly meant like you start closer to the Event Deck and if you like it you slowly improve but the deck is functional at a very cheap level. For lands you run Caves of Koilos and Isolated Chapel and I guess the brand new WB land is cheap now since it's the freshest set.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've run BW tokens w/o Lili or Bitterblossom, but had 2 Auriok Champions from way back and run them in the board. They're a godsend to improve your poor matchup against burn.

Blossom and Lili are 100% not necessary.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah with the slight nerfing of infect and getting Fatal Push B/W tokens is looking better. Still folds to Tron and R/G Breach pretty hard though.

I am a little sad Mono-U Delver also got hit by this ban. Thought Scour or Peek is not as good when trying to flip a Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

True, and yet beside the point. It will be oppressive to the format. Who cares if it's not quite as good as twin?

Between shock and push there are plenty of 1 mana ways to interact with it, and it's only a turn 4 kill if they keep a planeswalker up for a whole turn beforehand without it taking 2 damage. Oppressive? I don't think it will be. Format defining? Sure, but so was Rhino.

Twin wasn't oppressive in the standard format when it was around, either. It was totally a legitimate combo, but it wasn't oppressive.

• Locked thread