Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ParanoidInc posted:

The rainmaker also rules because it's insanely safe with virtually zero chance of a botch or injury
And also lariats are loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

MassRafTer posted:

If you can enjoy a dude who had the two weakest looking finishers you can add flips to, it's really hard to see how a lariat would come off as weak. It's hard to miss the significance given he does a pose that is coordinated with a camera zoom just to emphasize this is a cool, big deal.

If he did a flip and then did the lariat I would like it more. I like flips. You can zoom in to the move all you want, at the end of the day it's just a clothesline. You see like a hundred of those a week.

The SPD was awesome though. I didn't think people did that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
You're in a very tiny minority and trying to defend your point though. The Rainmaker is a protected finisher that's only been kicked out by 2-3 people in the last 6 years of main events.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If he did a flip and then did the lariat I would like it more. I like flips. You can zoom in to the move all you want, at the end of the day it's just a clothesline. You see like a hundred of those a week.

Uh, he spins the opponent around and then pulls them towards him. That makes it at least twice as powerful as a normal lariat.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

RealFoxy posted:

You're in a very tiny minority and trying to defend your point though. The Rainmaker is a protected finisher that's only been kicked out by 2-3 people in the last 6 years of main events.

2 and its in ANY event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

A lariat is often a powerful finisher in Japan...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Yorkshire Tea posted:

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/816624330687844352

Just a clothesline. loving Bradshaw.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

The Rainmaker is a hell of a lot better than Naito's goofy rear end finisher, as well as 90% of WWE finishers which are just "giving yourself a rock bottom"

Who cares though the match is great for reasons beyond "he kicked out of a finisher". I wish wrestling would get rid of the concept of 'finishers' entirely

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I will defend the Destino for being the only Sliced Bread that when executed properly actually looks both cool and that it can hurt.

Lid fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 9, 2017

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Destino rules. Rainmaker rules because stiff strikes are great finishers and I'm a big fan of counter/reversal spots when guys go for their big finish. Someone back in October made an imgur gallery of finishing sequences in Okada matches in 2016 that shows off some of the really cool spots around the Rainmaker.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lariats in Japan have a history they don't have here. Hogan knocking out Inoki, Hansen being a god over there. The idea is that Okada travelled to America and not only came back with American swagger - thus the Rainmaker persona - but came back having learned the secret of the lariat.

I mean, his finisher before was a German suplex, and I assure you, as nice as he makes that thing look, the Rainmaker is a thousand times more exciting and versatile.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Rainmaker rules! Rainmaker pose rules! Okada rules!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Rainmaker Rules, Destino Drools.

This is the truth.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lid posted:

I will defend the Destino for being the only Sliced Bread that when executed properly actually looks both cool and that it can hurt.

I really hate it he doesn't call it The Colony Drop.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lid posted:

This gif is mesmerizing to watch. It must take a lot of strength and balance to flip yourself over using mainly your opponent's arm as a pivot.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Wish Naito did a Stardust Press in the WK11 match, but that would've been overkill I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Suplex Liberace posted:

clinteastwoodnoddingonlyitisgedobeamingwithprideforhisperfectson.gif

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dudes getting turned inside out by lariats never gets old. :allears:

Lid posted:

2 and its in ANY event.

What's the antithesis of this kind of super protected finisher in NJPW?

I know the High Fly Flow seemingly never works the first time on anybody good, to the point where Tanahashi seems to take it for granted that he needs to hit 2+ in a row, or the counter resets to zero and he has to start all over again.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 9, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Lariats in Japan have a history they don't have here. Hogan knocking out Inoki, Hansen being a god over there. The idea is that Okada travelled to America and not only came back with American swagger - thus the Rainmaker persona - but came back having learned the secret of the lariat.

I mean, his finisher before was a German suplex, and I assure you, as nice as he makes that thing look, the Rainmaker is a thousand times more exciting and versatile.

We have that history too, if I'm right and it comes from Stan Hansen. He broke Bruno Sammartino's neck in a match and they blamed it on his lariat, though from what I understand it was actually a botched slam that really did it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I disliked how the English commentary said "Destino." It just sounded very bland instead of "DESTEEENOO!"

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

sean10mm posted:

I know the High Fly Flow seemingly never works the first time on anybody good, to the point where Tanahashi seems to take it for granted that he needs to hit 2+ in a row, or the counter resets to zero and he has to start all over again.

In a big nakamura match he would hit like 4 bomayes

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

SaberToothedPie posted:

In a big nakamura match he would hit like 4 bomayes

I remember him hitting Styles with about 500

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

When I close my eyes I still see the one to the back of the head

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I finally got around to watching WK and I just want to say that Meltzer was right about omega vs okada. That match was something special. Holy loving poo poo.

Also Kushida vs Takahashi was great and my sleeper match of the show. I've always liked Kushida but he looked great. He was crisp and hard hitting. He hit everything right on the mark.

Wrestling is cool.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

remusclaw posted:

We have that history too, if I'm right and it comes from Stan Hansen. He broke Bruno Sammartino's neck in a match and they blamed it on his lariat, though from what I understand it was actually a botched slam that really did it.

We do, but it's not nearly on the same level as it is in Japan. Hansen spent 20 years hitting lariats there. Just look at how the crowd reacts in this Baba match at just the hint of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD8EfnFIcpo&t=616s

Or how Inoki sells it when Hansen hits it for the finish here: https://vimeo.com/28280425

These are guys who booked themselves as gods, and treated this move as their kryptonite, especially if it was Hansen or Hogan hitting it. The closest anything has come in the years since, I'd argue, is how New Japan promoted the Styles Clash after the Yoshi Tatsu incident. That move was put so over by them treating it as a legit danger to people's health that even Omega setting it up at the G1 Finals has the crowd freaking the gently caress out.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The_Rob posted:

I finally got around to watching WK and I just want to say that Meltzer was right about omega vs okada. That match was something special. Holy loving poo poo.

Also Kushida vs Takahashi was great and my sleeper match of the show. I've always liked Kushida but he looked great. He was crisp and hard hitting. He hit everything right on the mark.

Wrestling is cool.
i have been afraid to say it because dave meltzer gave the main event 6 stars, but kushida/takahashi was my favorite match of the night.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

cams posted:

i have been afraid to say it because dave meltzer gave the main event 6 stars, but kushida/takahashi was my favorite match of the night.

I think Omega vs Okada is now one of my favorite matches ever, but yeah Kushida and Takahashi was loving fantastic. Like they both just really went out there to impress you can tell they felt like they had something to prove.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I really appreciate this match and think its very good. However it is real goddamn hard for me to take a move named after sephiroth seriously.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 10, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Platypus Farm posted:

I really appreciate this match and think its very good. However it is real goddamn hard for me to take a move named after sephiroth seriously.

That's how you know you should take it even more serious.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

consider that it is hilarious and owns that his move is called that. also he basically works a megaman gimmick where he takes people finishing moves and used to enter to literal megaman music and his name is omegaman

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I guess i just don't take wrestling ironically enough then.

I like kenny omega and his whole gimmick and his athleticism and okada was awesome. Naming your finisher after XxXSephirothXxX is little much for me, sorry.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

cams posted:

A couple people have said this, around different places, and I don't get it. It was one of the sloppiest matches I've seen from either of those guys and I didn't really get the story of it. the english commentary didn't help, i'm sure.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Platypus Farm posted:

I like kenny omega and his whole gimmick and his athleticism and okada was awesome. Naming your finisher after XxXSephirothXxX is little much for me, sorry.

hes not naming his finisher after an internet poster, it's named after the real sephiroth. who is cool. also the name of the move doesnt depend on you knowing who sephiroth is, its just a cool sounding name. maybe YOU'RE the nerd for getting the ref.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Under the vegetable posted:

hes not naming his finisher after an internet poster, it's named after the real sephiroth. who is cool. also the name of the move doesnt depend on you knowing who sephiroth is, its just a cool sounding name. maybe YOU'RE the nerd for getting the ref.

I mean I dunno. The stone cold stunner is such a cool classy name.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

grow up

Under the vegetable posted:

A couple people have said this, around different places, and I don't get it. It was one of the sloppiest matches I've seen from either of those guys and I didn't really get the story of it. the english commentary didn't help, i'm sure.
what you saw as two guys being sloppy and dangerous i saw as two guys selling that they wanted to kill each other and doing very dangerous things to do it. they kept up an amazing pace and told a good story. sorry about your opinion.

cams fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 10, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i don't enjoy the VOW flagship podcast a lot generally but they made some strong points in support of the kushida/hiromu match on their recap ep. basically hiromu is a perfect foil for kushida in being a similarly time-themed wrestler with a '80s aesthetic except that kushida is a great technician who has proven over the last year that he can beat any other junior in a legit wrestling match, and hiromu is a total lunatic who can't match him by wrestling but can beat him by being thicc sabu

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kushi is a trim and clean cut time splitter hiromu is a wild-eyed beefy time BOMBUUUUUUUUUU its pretty swell

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

i don't enjoy the VOW flagship podcast a lot generally but they made some strong points in support of the kushida/hiromu match on their recap ep. basically hiromu is a perfect foil for kushida in being a similarly time-themed wrestler with a '80s aesthetic except that kushida is a great technician who has proven over the last year that he can beat any other junior in a legit wrestling match, and hiromu is a total lunatic who can't match him by wrestling but can beat him by being thicc sabu
this is a good way to sum it up. this was the most i've enjoyed a kushida match by a decent margin and part of it was that takahashi made him go nuts instead of being a evenly placed technician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the foil stuff is more accurately from spermgod on t witter i think but it all comes together

• Locked thread