Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

qirex posted:

in tokyo if your train is more than 60 seconds late the train company gives you a card you can show to your boss explaining your tardiness

this is only because if you don't have a card you're expected to prostrate yourself at his feet crying and begging for forgiveness

A japanese man who was late to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in japan if you don't show proper deference to people above you in the company hierarchy they can dock your pay on the spot

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

"oh its totally different here guys!! I swear!" - every full of poo poo foreigner

im american and it really is totally different hear guys i swear.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in japan if you don't show proper deference to people above you in the company hierarchy they can dock your pay on the spot

lol

wow foreign cultures are so hosed up

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the paris transit system makes the BART look like a bag of mashed up old dicks

coincidentally this is also what BART upholstery smells like

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

wow foreign cultures are so hosed up

it's really hosed up because your discretionary income is deliberately kept small by the company

(they know exactly what your housing costs because they arranged it!)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A cheerful and happy girl with a heart of gold, Hello Kitty can bake delicious cookies, but she loves Mama’s apple pie even more. Her favourite hobbies include travelling, music, reading, and making new friends.

腰掛け(koshikake) – She’s accused of being one by Hog Honcho in episode 1, and then again in 5. The literal meaning is ‘chair’ or ‘seat’, but it’s a noun mainly used to describe working women who are waiting until a more desirable position opens up somewhere, with plans to leave once that becomes available. It’s also used to describe women who will quit once they get married, so they can devote themselves to housewife stuff.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

this whole page is beautifully sad-office-worker yospos:

https://horseiuchi.wordpress.com/aggressive-retsuko-character-bios/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow, furry anime in yospos.

where's graph?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Progressive JPEG posted:

No loss as the muni screens were always lying anyway

Bus in 3 minutes
Bus in 2 minutes
Bus in 1 minute
Bus in 30 minutes

around here they've been rolling out some good tech, i've honestly been impressed several times. light rail stops used to just have one-color dot matrix displays for signage, now they've changed to full-color LCD-type monitors that show a lot more information, and some stations even have extra monitors that play a slideshow with transit notices and daily news headlines/pics. i'm very curious how much those screens cost, as they keep on working even when it's below-zero (Fahrenheit) and the viewing angles on them are fantastic. some standard bus stops are getting active displays too: they have had this for a while at a few downtown commuter express stops, but now they're getting pushed out to boring standard regular-route stops

aside from signage, the in-vehicle tech is improving too. many buses now have free wi-fi, although i kinda shudder at how insecure that is. and i've started to see an uptick in the number of buses that have automated GPS-enabled stop information, where it will play an announcement for "next stop: butt street" and flash a message on the in-bus dot matrix display

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the paris transit system makes the BART look like a bag of mashed up old dicks

i had to take bart up north for a wedding and i got on the red line then noticed i was on the yellow line after like 6 stops? evidently i had to get off at one of two junction stations and get on the red line again?? :confused:

infernal machines posted:

wow, furry anime in yospos.

where's graph?

i dont see any

is that link nws ?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

graph posted:

i had to take bart up north for a wedding and i got on the red line then noticed i was on the yellow line after like 6 stops? evidently i had to get off at one of two junction stations and get on the red line again?? :confused:

i dont see any

is that link nws ?

no its just some cartoon characters by the hello kitty people. i know this b/c i read the red panda thread in PI vOv

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

i dont see any

is that link nws ?

no, it's a joke

Lutha Mahtin posted:

no its just some cartoon characters by the hello kitty people.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

"oh its totally different here guys!! I swear!" - every full of poo poo foreigner

so you've never been out of n. america. have you ever been to manhattan even?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

graph posted:

The final destination is what the lines are called fyi, not the color on the map :spergin:

Tho technically i guess that means there are two Richmond lines and two Fremont lines but hey I'm not making the rules

Also gonna guess you mean the northbound transfer at 19th vs the southbound transfer at MacArthur. Idk why they do it that way either tbh, could swear they've even moved it around and had the northbound at 12th before

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ArmZ posted:

so you've never been out of n. america. have you ever been to manhattan even?

yes

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
foreigners and americans with bad opinions also think soccer is a real sport

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

manhattan, new york, not manhattan, montana

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like, somewhere with more than 16 people per km2

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shaggar was... wrong?????

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

new thred title

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

fart simpson posted:

shaggar was... wrong?????

no

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

kansas also has a manhattan in case you were wondering

it has KSU which i assume is closed by now

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

around here they've been rolling out some good tech, i've honestly been impressed several times. light rail stops used to just have one-color dot matrix displays for signage, now they've changed to full-color LCD-type monitors that show a lot more information, and some stations even have extra monitors that play a slideshow with transit notices and daily news headlines/pics. i'm very curious how much those screens cost, as they keep on working even when it's below-zero (Fahrenheit) and the viewing angles on them are fantastic. some standard bus stops are getting active displays too: they have had this for a while at a few downtown commuter express stops, but now they're getting pushed out to boring standard regular-route stops

my friend plans sidewalk sign installs and a basic glass and metal sign with no electronics or anything costs 25k before installation, so probably 2 or 3 trillion dollars

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

boston is the height of shagger's urban cultural experience lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Progressive JPEG posted:

The final destination is what the lines are called fyi, not the color on the map :spergin:

Tho technically i guess that means there are two Richmond lines and two Fremont lines but hey I'm not making the rules

Also gonna guess you mean the northbound transfer at 19th vs the southbound transfer at MacArthur. Idk why they do it that way either tbh, could swear they've even moved it around and had the northbound at 12th before

the lines are never referred to as such. you just take a wherever-bound train.

the northbound transfer definitely used to be at 12th st, and I've always wondered why they moved it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

lol no.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Noticed the map looked like this on a train yesterday, with the purple bit between SFO and Millbrae:

Apparently that map was at least 9 years out of date (purple bit was redrawn Jan 2008)

Also it looked better than the current version imho

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Also implies that maybe the 12th st transfer was some kind of temporary thing given it's 19th as of that map

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a 12th st transfer would be weird, iirc bart is single-tracked through that station

anyway muni signs always seemed accurate to me, never had a problem with it. only problem with muni is it's pretty slow, but that's what you get without any sort of grade or even traffic separation

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pretty sure its double tracked thru all of 12th/19th/macarthur

i was living in berkeley and remember transferring at 12th onto a richmond train and then having the bay pt train doin its thang across from mine thru 19th and macarthur

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Progressive JPEG posted:

pretty sure its double tracked thru all of 12th/19th/macarthur

i was living in berkeley and remember transferring at 12th onto a richmond train and then having the bay pt train doin its thang across from mine thru 19th and macarthur

19th st southbound is double-tracked but one track is physically on top of the other so a transfer would be awkward because you gotta take stairs or an escalator

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

whoa not stairs or an elevator!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, we're building a $3billion one-stop subway extension because the people of scarborough loving hate taking the stairs or an elevator to transfer

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
there's way more to it than that

but it's all so dumb and depressing I can't even

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Portland got a lot of snow this past couple days. Broke something like a forty year record. Also managed to cause a MAX derailment. No injuries and wouldn't really be a big thing except it happened at one of the unfortunate bottlenecks in the Rose Quarter that affect multiple lines :rip:

http://katu.com/news/local/max-train-completely-off-tracks-in-derailment-at-rose-quarter-expect-major-delays

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
So much for global warming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

im the sad react

• Locked thread