Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
They sell a tool that is basically a bearing with a cone on it. You put some grease on the backside a nut on the stud and hammer the nut down. It makes stud changing a million times easier. This can also be accomplished with a poo poo ton of washers and nut that's bigger then the stud thread. Also use a touch of schmoo on the studs splines to help aid in install. Because no one or thing likes when ya ram it in dry as an 80 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it's taking frozen studs, grease on the splines, and four times emptying my compressor with the regulator wide open to seat them. If I could find my heat gun I'd warm the axle too.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, it's taking frozen studs, grease on the splines, and four times emptying my compressor with the regulator wide open to seat them. If I could find my heat gun I'd warm the axle too.

Dang. I often forget what it's like running an impact on a small compressor. Well at least the end is in sight and should make it a little easier sort of? Maybe?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Freeze the studs, heat the axle (no oil on it - into the oven it goes at 160 to 170 degrees! :v:), and use an appropriate size socket as a receiver while blasting them in with a BFH? that is how I always did them, the socket taking the load right around the stud hole in the flange keeps it from warping the flange. Don't hit the bearing journal with the hammer!

On old shafts getting new studs, it also helps if you spin them while pulling slightly to feel when you have the splines lined up with the slight indents the old stud splines made... not that that does you any good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I tried hammering them with the biggest one I have, a 2lb copper hammer. Didn't work.

I set up a box fan on my air compressor and finished it that way. I've run the rattle gun from this little compressor for years, but I've never had any fastener that needed anywhere near this much repeated hammering.

No photos today because I was pretty worn out right from the word go. But yes, I did get the rest of the studs in. Then it was lots of swearing at the brakes, plus a short lived oh poo poo moment when I managed to spit the spider gears out. Got them back into place on the second try.

Right now I have it 99% back together. Ran out of gloves, and any energy to push through the rest tonight. Each time I need to leave I have to basically pack the whole garage back up again anyway. All that's left on this project is to put gear oil in the rear, torque the lug nuts all the way around, and see what's rubbing where.

Then I need to finish the throttle cable, and actually get some miles on it this week.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Maybe a little spacer action will address the rubbing?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably, if it's rubbing where I think it is. Something like a quarter inch is probably enough since if I come out too far, I'll be in range of the tire-shredding bolt heads that hold the fenders together.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's no way it can be rubbing. I can turn it full lock in either direction and easily get my hands on every edge of the tire, without the back of them touching anything. If it's anything, it feels like it's the front tires scrubbing against each other. Probably some funky ackerman angle going on.

Oh, and...forgive the horrible photo quality:

Haven't driven it further than the driveway yet. Gonna take it on a short shakedown either late tonight or tomorrow night. Still have the following in the must-do category before I leave town:

*Bed in the brakes
*Change engine oil
*Check and/or change transmission fluid
*Finish adjusting throttle cable
*Clean the drat thing
*Align the front end

Maybe if I get time, I'll even recenter the steering wheel.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Looks great.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's no way it can be rubbing. I can turn it full lock in either direction and easily get my hands on every edge of the tire, without the back of them touching anything. If it's anything, it feels like it's the front tires scrubbing against each other. Probably some funky ackerman angle going on.

Oh, and...forgive the horrible photo quality:

Haven't driven it further than the driveway yet. Gonna take it on a short shakedown either late tonight or tomorrow night. Still have the following in the must-do category before I leave town:

*Bed in the brakes
*Change engine oil
*Check and/or change transmission fluid
*Finish adjusting throttle cable
*Clean the drat thing
*Align the front end

Maybe if I get time, I'll even recenter the steering wheel.

:getin:

Looks awesome, man. Too bad you changed lug patterns. There's a whole bunch of burnout fuel in your bed.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I think before this thread it'd been a decade since I saw that truck last. I think I even remember the old engine and your LS swap stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It rolls and drives! Hope the shakedown goes well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fuuuuuck me. Went to go pull it out for a shakedown tonight. Small puddle of brake fluid at the right rear, and it looks to be coming from the wheel cylinder inside.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
DRUUUUUUMMSSS!!! :argh:

That sucks, man. Hopefully it is the cylinder and it's easy enough to bang out a replacement. Doesn't make it any less annoying, though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fuuuuuck me. Went to go pull it out for a shakedown tonight. Small puddle of brake fluid at the right rear, and it looks to be coming from the wheel cylinder inside.

On the plus side, that statement is in a forum post and not a police report. :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's nothing else it could even be. Leak is inside the drum, while the bleeder and hardline fitting are both on the back side of the backing plate.

Mostly it pisses me off for the following reasons:
They are the ONLY things I didn't replace.
I just did all of the work needed for this.
The last time I un-mothballed this truck 17 years ago, the exact same thing happened.

Hopefully next time I touch the rear brakes after this, is to go disc.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Replaced the wheel cylinders tonight, no real issues there. Definitely getting the full Roadkill experience of working late into the night with a deadline, without getting finished :v:

Still to do tomorrow:
*Fix leak somewhere on rear axle line - not sure if it's the frame hardline to the flex line or what
*Adjust rear brakes in, they're grabbing too hard and heating up just driving along
*Change engine oil
*Check ATF
*Maybe get an alignment?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

*Fix leak somewhere on rear axle line - not sure if it's the frame hardline to the flex line or what
*Adjust rear brakes in, they're grabbing too hard and heating up just driving along
*Change engine oil
*Check ATF
*Maybe get an alignment?

Leak: fixed. Had to cut the rear frame line short, reflare it, and add a union and a short section of preflared line. 1/4" line so of course my 3/16 inline flare tool was useless. Managed to get a decent flare out of a bar style after three tries.
Brake adjustment: done, took five minutes after I got the truck up.
Oil: going to go do that shortly.
ATF: level is good to go.
Alignment: lol nope, no time for that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Made it to Tucson. I forgot how loud this thing is at highway speeds. Either that or the weatherstripping is giving up again.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Wait, poo poo, are the Zip-Ties this weekend? Have fun out there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, and it was worth the thrash. Got four runs down the track myself. Nowhere near personal best (altitude, a passenger, a full fuel tank, and a shitload of tools all hurt a lot there) but very consistent in the 15.0-15.1 range. The only run outside of that was one where I tried too hard on launch (or took some water up to the line with me) and absolutely smoked them at the line.

I think the slightly taller and grippier tires might put 4.11s and/or a looser torque converter on the shopping list. That, or more power.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

More power. And take the hood off :)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, and it was worth the thrash. Got four runs down the track myself. Nowhere near personal best (altitude, a passenger, a full fuel tank, and a shitload of tools all hurt a lot there) but very consistent in the 15.0-15.1 range. The only run outside of that was one where I tried too hard on launch (or took some water up to the line with me) and absolutely smoked them at the line.

I think the slightly taller and grippier tires might put 4.11s and/or a looser torque converter on the shopping list. That, or more power.

What are you running for a rear end now? 3.73s? I'm thinking 4.11s* would definitely help.

*and a supercharger

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, 3.73. Original to the truck, and possibly the oldest date coded part on it - 10/69. Most parts I've found on it with a date code have been 1/70.

A supercharger would be fun, but I want to keep air conditioning and most kits don't work with it. Also, I'd have to wear a fire suit at the track.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Thread lacks burnout videos!

Glad to see the truck up and running again, the original thread was one of the ones that made me join SA in the first place!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
What, forced induction automatically requires a fire suit? Lame.

You're running a 4L60, right? What's your highway RPMs look like?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I actually have done very few proper burnouts in this thing. I've always tried to avoid the water box at the strip and never do that on the street.

I definitely did a few smoky ones at Zip Tie Drags, but my wife was riding shotgun. Hopefully they show up at some point in the social media flying everywhere.

Boaz: non-stock power adders, so forced induction on a NA engine, or nitrous on anything.

Trans is indeed the 4L60E, so with these tires highway revs are in the low 2000s. Maybe 2300-2400 if I try to push 80, but the wind noise is literally deafening at that speed. One of the next projects will definitely be a rebuild or a replacement of the vent windows. The rubber on them is all but missing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
You'd probably be looking at another 200-250 RPMs depending on speed on the highway. I'd say go for the 4.11s.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Are you driving on the highway with the windows up? I found mine to be nice on the highway with both down, the car show cards on the dash don't even blow around. It's the only thing I've ever driven that's like that, it's eerie but nice since one vent window is missing completely and the weather stripping is long gone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Windows up, it was cold as gently caress.

By Arizona terms, that is. :v: Enough so that at highway speeds with the 180 degree thermostat and the "drafty" nature of the cab, the air from the heater was lukewarm at best.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Daytime photo of the new wheels, finally.

Truck is still filthy, need to wash the drat thing while I'm at it.

First two timeslips from Zip Tie Drags. Third run was garbage thanks to smoking the launch, fourth run was very much like these two. Right lane both times in case it's not clear.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 17, 2017

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That's looks freakin awesome. So many people put those wheels on the 67-72s but they are so perfect for them. I'm still gonna do it too unless they start producing the ones from the Holley shop truck someday.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Windows up, it was cold as gently caress.

By Arizona terms, that is. :v: Enough so that at highway speeds with the 180 degree thermostat and the "drafty" nature of the cab, the air from the heater was lukewarm at best.

What was it, 60 degrees? :P

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Glad you made it and had a good time. I ended up making a last minute trip to the coast this weekend, so obviously didn't get down to the drags. Truck looks great!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Closer to 50, so, yeah. I've been in proper snow / temperatures well below freezing maybe twice in my life. Give me 110 any day.

shy boy from chess club posted:

That's looks freakin awesome. So many people put those wheels on the 67-72s but they are so perfect for them. I'm still gonna do it too unless they start producing the ones from the Holley shop truck someday.

Yup, no shame in going with what works. There are a lot of wheels that are kinda close to the Holley Shop Truck, but none that are dead on. I'd also expect them to cost a goddamn fortune.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:justpost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwcLKFE5E74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eBoSOS3cak

That rattling at the beginning of each one is whatever loose poo poo is in the ashtray. Should probably clean that out.

Unrelated, I found a SD card that actually had a full video of a Jeep run that for some reason I thought hadn't recorded properly. So here's a climb up Harquahala Peak at 8x speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAe4MGTSO4Q

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Teaser for an effortpost to come later:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where did your star go?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I threw off the yoke of my oppressors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is a club run through the Box Canyon near Florence, AZ It's a memorial for one of the members who died in a wreck on the way to this run five years ago. Most of the trail is fairly straightforward, just very tight, but we've had a shitload of rain this past week.

More photos, some from me, some from the wife.

I bought my wife a Phantom 3 for Christmas, this is the first time either of us has really tried to film anything. Because I have more R/C experience, she had me go first.

I'm not very good :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJyLvjUcwws

Photos other people took.

The road was washed out with about a 2' ledge to get back up to it... so we went river wading. WJ did fine but I'm probably going to give it fresh gear oil when I get a chance.

The water still flowing, at the entrance to the canyon.

I only got stuck twice. Once was just plain taking the wrong line on this seemingly minor rock. Just had to back off and go left.

The other was at the top of the waterfall, and I needed the tiniest tug to get up. There was still significant waterflow down that left side and I was spinning all four tires there. Pretty sure that's where I banged my steering stabilizer up.

Snaking our way out.