Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Except for that time he tried to take over the world

Well yeah but he's an Avenger, that happens to everyone. Cap's trying to take over the world right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tony Stark as "Guy who speaks before he thinks" was certainly a Civil War thing (see: him getting punched to the moon multiple times), but let's not talk about that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dont even fink about it posted:

Tony Stark as "Guy who speaks before he thinks" was certainly a Civil War thing (see: him getting punched to the moon multiple times), but let's not talk about that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Iron Man: Hey Thor is back? I'm gonna go tell this Thunder God how things are gonna be from now on and make sure he understands I'm his Boss now!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Libertarianismmeetsreality.jpg

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jerusalem posted:

Iron Man: Hey Thor is back? I'm gonna go tell this Thunder God how things are gonna be from now on and make sure he understands I'm his Boss now!

Heh.

http://imgur.com/gallery/EtDwU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Did that ever get followed up on further?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhaka posted:

Did that ever get followed up on further?

After Siege there was a mini called Avengers Prime that had Thor, Iron Man, and Cap forced to work together and work out their issues that had been building for a while.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was that before or after Tony "reset" his brain so he lost the registry information and also conveniently forgot all the actions and choices he made during Civil War itself?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Thor issue is poo poo because its just JMS crapping on Iron Man some more after painting him as a complete rear end in a top hat during Civil War.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I see that comic a dozen times, and every time I still :psyduck: that Tony seriously thought Vision was just going to let him waltz up and slap a force-field on him. I know Tony can be dense because of his ego but jesus christ.

Counterpoint: He's Tony Stark.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

muscles like this! posted:

That Thor issue is poo poo because its just JMS crapping on Iron Man some more after painting him as a complete rear end in a top hat during Civil War.

You say that like he doesn't deserve it for said assholishness.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah Tony was a monstrous person as written during Civil War. Pretty much everyone was, mind you, that's the problem with 'smash your action figures together' storylines.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You say that like he doesn't deserve it for said assholishness.

I think their point is that JMS wrote him behaving that way, so crapping on Iron Man for doing what he made him do is just kind of... making GBS threads on a character for no good reason. Like, if you don't like the character, and you can write the character, maybe try to make the character better?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I liked the part where the big guy with a hammer hit the robot man with a bolt of lightning.

The best part of Civil War was that it left Giffen, Abnett and Lanning free to do whatever they wanted to Marvel's Cosmic lineup with little to no editorial oversight.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The little bits of Cosmic where they look at Earth and go "what the gently caress are you idiots doing, we're literally fighting for the galaxy here" are great. Like when Nova swings by earth after the war to chill out a bit and the Thunderbolts jump him and he just laughs and reads them their rights.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That was cool as poo poo. My dad was always a big Nova fan, but I never got into it myself. Starting to regret that.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Their cosmic line was so good. The Thanos Imperative was just from top to bottom crazy awesome poo poo. Such as:

That giant mummified face is the Galactus Engine, the deformed war machine built from the Galactus of the Cancerverse, a a universe taking over by Lovecraftian aspects that have mutated a entire universe, at the end of the Fault, a rip in spacetime. Those little figures facing it are our Galactus, celestials and other universal aspects trying to beat back the invasion from the Cancerverse.

go read it! It was also the send off for Nova, so it would part of the books you'd want to read.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FredMSloniker posted:

I think their point is that JMS wrote him behaving that way, so crapping on Iron Man for doing what he made him do is just kind of... making GBS threads on a character for no good reason. Like, if you don't like the character, and you can write the character, maybe try to make the character better?

JMS made a point of writing Iron Man as The Bad Guy in his Spider-Man run, but he didn't write the main Civil War series which included the Thor clone. Yes, there was a lack of good writing and cohesion across the board, but even if you wiped away all the tie ins, Tony Stark as depicted in Civil War was an rear end in a top hat and it's not on JMS to write a redemption arc for him in his Thor run, nor to have Thor laugh what happened off.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

JMS made a point of writing Iron Man as The Bad Guy in his Spider-Man run, but he didn't write the main Civil War series which included the Thor clone. Yes, there was a lack of good writing and cohesion across the board, but even if you wiped away all the tie ins, Tony Stark as depicted in Civil War was an rear end in a top hat and it's not on JMS to write a redemption arc for him in his Thor run, nor to have Thor laugh what happened off.

Yeah, regardless of inconsistent writing between tie-ins and the general shittiness of Civil War, if there's one person who has every reason to loving hate Tony after CW, it's Thor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You cloned a god and it went evil and killed a friend and then became brain dead and forgot everything then did the whole Civil War thing again and now you're brain dead AGAIN?!

Oh Tony.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

You cloned a god and it went evil and killed a friend and then became brain dead and forgot everything then did the whole Civil War thing again and now you're brain dead AGAIN?!

Oh Tony.

Upgrading your brain to Windows 10 is a real bitch apparently.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Was that before or after Tony "reset" his brain so he lost the registry information and also conveniently forgot all the actions and choices he made during Civil War itself?

Well after. Siege was the end of Dark Reign which spun out of Secret Invasion, which came after Civil War. They had all-new issues with each other by that point!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dang those are some cool panels what's all that stuff in avulsions post from

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

site posted:

Dang those are some cool panels what's all that stuff in avulsions post from

Hello welcome to Cosmic Marvel, please read everything on this list:

The pages in my earlier post are from Annihilation.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Except don't bother with anything that ends with "...of kings"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Na, that's still alright, although on the low end.

But absolutely do not read Wraith.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Scaramouche posted:

Ehhhh, War of Kings was okay, it just pales in comparison to Annihilation and Conquest. But then, most things do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't read the Cosmic line, but doesn't Thanos end up being revered as a God in the cancerverse because he brought longed-for death to them at last? Which I think is a cool as poo poo idea.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Very much the opposite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

Very much the opposite.

Well, clearly I need to read the Cosmic line then!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't read the Cosmic line, but doesn't Thanos end up being revered as a God in the cancerverse because he brought longed-for death to them at last? Which I think is a cool as poo poo idea.

Retro Futurist posted:

Very much the opposite.

To elaborate, it was a whole universe perverted by the influence of The Many-Angled Ones via their Mar-Vell's fear of death, and they decided to spread in an inter-dimensional invasion.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
It's a universe where evil gods from beyond time killed Death and corrupted all the heroes into cancerous abominations. Thanos, Death's #1 fanboy, was not welcome.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Phantom has been :krad: lately which is crazy since this arc started out with weeks long arguments between politicians about stamps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Ehhhh, War of Kings was okay, it just pales in comparison to Annihilation and Conquest. But then, most things do.

I thought most of the War of Kings stuff was mediocre to outright awful.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

WickedHate posted:

The Phantom has been :krad: lately which is crazy since this arc started out with weeks long arguments between politicians about stamps.

Replace the gun in the thrid panel and this is the most Batman thing I've seen in a while.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Replace the gun in the thrid panel and this is the most Batman thing I've seen in a while.

Given that Phantom actually predates Batman by a couple years iirc, he was probably a strong influence.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fatherdog posted:

Given that Phantom actually predates Batman by a couple years iirc, he was probably a strong influence.

The Phantom did a lot of things that Batman does. He always had a successor trained, so that even after he got killed, there would be someone to be The Ghost-Who-Walks, which always freaked out the bad guys. He knew all about cowardly, superstitious lots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Phantom knows that the thing criminals fear most of all is striped underpants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fatherdog posted:

iirc they all draw from the same pool of hardboiled detective types.
And while phantom isnt the the direct inspiration for detective batman, im willing to bet he is for caped avenger bats.