Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the netdeck bogeyman is at it again boys!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rigel posted:

netdeck

What kind of scum netdecks in this day and age?!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm interested to hear what people are hearing for why people aren't showing up to standard at the local level these days, because I really think the decline in standard is Hearthstone finally catching up to WotC and cutting into them but I'd like to get an idea if that's the case or not

Tulsa area, I've been noticing if anything an increase in standard attendance, or at least a consistent turnout from my previous years playing. I'm fully aware that it's an outlier but we've been getting 25-30 people weekly and another twenty or so for modern alongside it every Friday, in addition to supporting a typically ~20 person modern event on Tuesdays which is about the same turnout as previous years. The only people I hear talking about not playing standard are the ones who just like modern better. My community is pretty vibrant and fairly competitive here, tbh

The only time I recall attendance getting notably worse was in the dark times of cawblade

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 10, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Limited and Constructed scratch different itches. Cube is the perfect format because it scratches both itches at once.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

suicidesteve posted:

What kind of scum netdecks in this day and age?!

I'd guess it would be someone who refuses to admit that limited is the most fun and interesting format.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the problem is that you're a dumbass if you use the pejorative net deck. well i guess its only a problem if you mind being a dumbass

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
As a guy who has the disposable income to play any format (including vintage but I'm not an idiot) Legacy is hands down the best format.

Modern is not as fun.

Standard will never be as good as INN/RTR was. Just a great loving time to be playing standard.

Limited sucks balls.

See you guys in Vegas.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Tulsa area, I've been noticing if anything an increase in standard attendance,

Down in OKC, my store stopped having standard FNMs every week and now alternates with frontier.

I haven't touched a deck in 9 months, but when I go back it won't be for standard, and I'm sure as poo poo not spending money on frontier, so gonna grab that Sram dude and jam Cheerios in modern until retract or chrome mox gets banned.

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 10, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

suicidesteve posted:

I play JtMS or Stoneforge every week. Everyone could if WotC cared about legacy at all!
Ha, yeah, the math surely works out on that one

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Spiderdrake posted:

Ha, yeah, the math surely works out on that one

can you show the math for me here so i know that you did the work, im very curious about this math

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

I'm guessing the PT meta is going to be jeskai aggro (with the combo), jeskai control (with the combo), jeskai midrange (with the combo), and various r/b lists that each beat one variant but lose to the others

hey at least no more green anymore

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

the problem is that you're a dumbass if you use the pejorative net deck. well i guess its only a problem if you mind being a dumbass

Why would you even bother netdecking in an era where every good card beats you over the head with how it either a) gives you a 2+ for 1 or b) is several mana cheaper than it should be? Decide what idiot simple valuemans you are going to play and insert the appropriate glue that comes up in a keyword search.

And I think what he means by math is there are literally not enough dual lands in existence to support legacy as a real format. As long as the reserved list exists legacy will continue to die.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Rigel posted:

Saying that limited is boring is insane if your alternative is constructed a few weeks after release. You are literally seeing and predicting that your opponent has in hand the same stupid loving efficient card you've had to beat in that guy's netdeck over and over again.

Meanwhile, my opponent could have anything, I don't loving know. Sure I might have a guess, but he might be some weirdo who is playing some card that I've deemed to be unplayable and only seen played once before at most, but he decided to board it in and it actually might be bad for me in this situation.

drat you're right nothing is more exhilarating than wondering which of the 30-40 playable commons/uncommons in their colors my opponent has! Maybe even a - *GASP* RARE!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

akulanization posted:

And I think what he means by math is there are literally not enough dual lands in existence to support legacy as a real format. As long as the reserved list exists legacy will continue to die.

This is true. If I ever won the lottery I would buy every underground sea ever to go online and then throw them.in a woodchipper. Once they got to 10k a peice wizards might think of reprinting them.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is true. If I ever won the lottery I would buy every underground sea ever to go online and then throw them.in a woodchipper. Once they got to 10k a peice wizards might think of reprinting them.

why not just buy WotC and then run them into the ground by letting us run it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ThePeavstenator posted:

why not just buy WotC and then run them into the ground by letting us run it?

Hasbro would never sell it to me.

But if they did I would make Mcmagic the CEO in 2 seconds flat.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

instead of ending tweets with "#WOTCStaff" it would be "#WOTCStaff..."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

akulanization posted:

presumably in this "support legacy" plan they wouldn't just reprint stoneforge and jtms and go "oh whoops lol forgot about dual lands"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

End of Life Guy posted:

Down in OKC, my store stopped having standard FNMs every week and now alternates with frontier.

Any particular reason your shop doesn't run Frontier as a FNM? They can do that you know. All they have to do is select Friday Night Magic—Casual instead of Friday Night Magic—Ranked on the Frontier nights.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wish I was better at draft because I would definitely play it more. Yes I realize I won't get better at it unless I play but I constantly get my rear end beat in Limited and can never figure out why, so it's like "pay $15 to play with random cards, or pay $10 to use cards I already know how to pilot well and spent hundreds of dollars to obtain?" I went 1-2 at the Theros prerelease with TWO Stormbreath Dragons for God's sake!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Would they though? Also I think Martin Shkreli was talking about doing this for a hot minute, or at least hoarding a bunch of pricey RL cards like some sort of cardboard Smaug.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

martin shkreli is full of poo poo and an attention seeker, he was also supposedly interested in buying a pro league of legends team but actually he's just interested in easy press from people he thinks he can outrage

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

C-Euro posted:

I wish I was better at draft because I would definitely play it more. Yes I realize I won't get better at it unless I play but I constantly get my rear end beat in Limited and can never figure out why, so it's like "pay $15 to play with random cards, or pay $10 to use cards I already know how to pilot well and spent hundreds of dollars to obtain?" I went 1-2 at the Theros prerelease with TWO Stormbreath Dragons for God's sake!

Would they though? Also I think Martin Shkreli was talking about doing this for a hot minute, or at least hoarding a bunch of pricey RL cards like some sort of cardboard Smaug.

I would post videos of me woodchipping boxes of them so they now they were destroyed. People would be clamoring for reprints.

gently caress I don't know.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Standard will never be as good as INN/RTR was. Just a great loving time to be playing standard.

As someone who came back on board slightly too late to be part of INN/RTR, what in particular made it stand out over SOM/INN or RTR/THS?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

Limited and Constructed scratch different itches. Cube is the perfect format because it scratches both itches at once.

Ron_Swanson_Dont_Half_Ass_Two_Things_Whole_Ass_One_Thing.gif

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

presumably in this "support legacy" plan they wouldn't just reprint stoneforge and jtms and go "oh whoops lol forgot about dual lands"

Well I mean they just did reprint both stoneforge and jtms, since neither is on the reserved lists those reprints are completely different beasts.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ThePeavstenator posted:

drat you're right nothing is more exhilarating than wondering which of the 30-40 playable commons/uncommons in their colors my opponent has! Maybe even a - *GASP* RARE!

This is, unironically, true.

You have convinced yourself that commons and uncommons are silly boring trash, but we're playing two different games here. You are playing a game with, what, maybe 60 moving pieces over a few sets (mostly mythic rare and expensive poo poo that I am selling to you) in it? 80 if you stretch, tons of 4-ofs, where you are absolutely going to see repetitive monotonous gameplay, far more often than limited at least. Once you see their colors and a few cards you pretty much know 90%+ of their deck, all the important cards, and you launch into one of many well-practiced strategies where you try to beat that deck.

I am playing a different game. A game with HUNDREDS of pieces, crazy randomness, surprise, and wild deckbuilding on the fly. OK yeah, sure, almost all of your pieces in your game can kick the everloving poo poo out of most of my pieces in my game, but there is never a case where a constructed deck battles a limited deck, so who gives even the slightest poo poo about the relative power level? I don't even know what my deck will look like, what colors it will play, or if it will even be good when I sit down, and just because I know my opponent's colors doesn't mean I know what he'll do. There's a nearly endless realm of possibility and surprise in my game (enough at least to be fun for 3 months).

Roughly 6 weeks after release.... seriously.... how much surprise and fun is still really in your standard game?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
You know what we should do, is another Thunderdome.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Alris posted:

As someone who came back on board slightly too late to be part of INN/RTR, what in particular made it stand out over SOM/INN or RTR/THS?

The mana was really good and while there were a couple of cards that were too strong and too easy to splash (most famously Thragtusk and Restoration Angel) there were a ton of different decks with wildly diverse play-patterns from Naya Blitz human aggro decks that could kill you on turn 4 to Sphinx's Revelation Esper decks that killed with Nephalia Drownyard. There was a 4-mana wrath, multiple one-drop green mana dorks, red had good cards from 1 to 5 on the curve. The disruption was strong but not demoralizing.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Instead of playing a fun game I want someone to flash bright colors and terrifying imagery in my eyes at random, maybe the unceasing novelty of it will distract me from the fact that it's thoroughly unpleasant.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

black potus posted:

Instead of playing a fun game I want someone to flash bright colors and terrifying imagery in my eyes at random, maybe the unceasing novelty of it will distract me from the fact that it's thoroughly unpleasant.

I'm glad Gaspar Noe is making the Magic movie.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Constructed is the familiar hole in the wall where everyone says "hi" when you walk in and the bartender knows your usual order. Limited is a molecular gastronomy bar where instead of serving you a drink in a glass they just subject you to the Ludovico technique.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i like limited but pretending like games are new or surprising after a month plus of playing the same set is pretty disingenuous. you saw the cards in your pod, you know the cards in your set, and even if you play against somebody with weird card evaluations you're gonna get used to that in six weeks of playing.

rtj3 mother fuckers

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

This is, unironically, true.

Roughly 6 weeks after release.... seriously.... how much surprise and fun is still really in your standard game?

Drafting is just a blast for the skill it takes to be able to throw a deck together on the fly while making sure the colors you are going are actually viable, and know when to switch when needed. Then actually playing the deck, and seeing how horribly you did.

Kaladesh took me a while to get down.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

rabidsquid posted:

i like limited but pretending like games are new or surprising after a month plus of playing the same set is pretty disingenuous. you saw the cards in your pod, you know the cards in your set, and even if you play against somebody with weird card evaluations you're gonna get used to that in six weeks of playing.

rtj3 mother fuckers

This is probably true. I resorted to using at least a bit of hyperbole and flourish in crafting my argument.

I'll even admit that I'm about as bored and ready for something new as a standard player right before a new set, but I am certain that I am FAR more excited about a new set (either 100% or 40%+ of my cards are changing, woo!), and quite a bit more engaged and interested 5 weeks after release.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

There should be a paper version of the Standard Gauntlet where you can show up and pay basically draft prices and rent a deck for three rounds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

I miss INN/RTR Standard.

Izzet Blitz was The Best Most Fun Deck.

G/W Aggro was some of the most fun I ever had, and one of the best decks I ever played.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

Funny thing is that stupid enchantment from the planeswalker deck that fogs for a turn is actually an option against the deck that a few I know are exploring. I will laugh if it ever catches on.

What card are you talking about?

Ajani's aid isn't a general fog unless I'm reading it wrong.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 10, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I enjoy limited... and constructed...... and commander

Guys I think

I think I may like the card game Magic the Gathering.

I'll see myself out of the thread I guess

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013

Rinkles posted:

What card are you talking about?

I think he's talking about Ajani's Aid? If so, it only prevents combat damage A creature would deal this turn when you sac it, so it's not going to work against the Felidar Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kids and Guns posted:

I think he's talking about Ajani's Aid? If so, it only prevents combat damage A creature would deal this turn when you sac it, so it's not going to work against the Felidar Guardian.

That's why I'm asking.

Kinda strange it doesn't target. Seems like a poor idea for an intro level pack in.

• Locked thread