Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
:getin: or :frogout:
This poll is closed.
:boom: 38 17.35%
yes 34 15.53%
no 18 8.22%
maybe 22 10.05%
paging pagancow 40 18.26%
all of the above 24 10.96%
:same: 43 19.63%
Total: 77 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jimmy Carter posted:

wtf I want strong lips

I hate lips day

avatar/post combo winner of the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jimmy Carter posted:

wtf I want strong lips

I hate lips day
prolonged use of steroid cream on your skin is bad for you because it makes your skin thinner

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Rosoboronexport posted:

I got it booted up so of course the first thing you do when using Windows 8.1 with Bing! is

Install Windows 10 on it.

And that took way much more time than it was supposed. There were many puzzles in this yosbox. First the direct upgrade path failed, then installation from ISO did not work until BIOS was updated and the chosen installation media (microSD card) had to be inserted on a USB card reader instead of the handy microsd card reader on the compute stick.
But on the other hand, Windows 10 is still free ityool 2017.

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 5, 2017

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

congratulations on your windows downgrade!

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Rosoboronexport posted:

For non-nordic country residents an explanation: Cross-country skiing is a big thing around here and Norway has been the king of it for the last decades and so far no signs of doping have been detected. Unfortunately Finland's attempts have not been as good. So it was a schadenfreude moment when one of their top skier got a suspension for allegedly using a lip balm that contained banned steroid. The lip balm in picture does not contain that steroid :)

went skiing today and can confirm that the lip-balm did not enhance my performance in the slightest

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

suffix posted:

went skiing today and can confirm that the lip-balm did not enhance my performance in the slightest

you're supposed to put it on your lips

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Rosoboronexport posted:

And that took way much more time than it was supposed. There were many puzzles in this yosbox. First the direct upgrade path failed, then installation from ISO did not work until BIOS was updated and the chosen installation media (microSD card) had to be inserted on a USB card reader instead of the handy microsd card reader on the compute stick.
But on the other hand, Windows 10 is still free ityool 2017.

I had honestly considered putting Haiku on the Compute Stick so it'd be a properly weird poasting station but Haiku's UEFI is really too new for me to want to mess with, and when I first tried on the stick I sent OSI Bean Dip last year it didn't really work so I just restored Ubuntu and then installed my tweaked build of Meroko

you should totally give Haiku a try on the stick or a netbook though, its WebKit based browser is even sufficient for reading the forums and it'll absolutely fly, and you can try it from a live USB stick or SD card

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

eschaton posted:

you should totally give Haiku a try on the stick or a netbook though, its WebKit based browser is even sufficient for reading the forums and it'll absolutely fly, and you can try it from a live USB stick or SD card

It's got Windows ten
the uniform posting spot
shaggar knew what's up

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Suffix sent a nifty bonus gift!

Dog doesn't seem to appreciate the finer arts though

Thanks!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

Thanks!

poo poo that's a dope book

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm deeply sorry for you're lots

attention whomever gets Silver Alicorn for next year's Santee: there will be plenty of stuff from this line out by then.

https://twitter.com/sanrio/status/817129523774787584

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Thanks!

goddamn I want that book so much

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

attention whomever gets Silver Alicorn for next year's Santee: there will be plenty of stuff from this line out by then.

b-banime

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

HOOOOO BOOY

i didnt post my santa gifts because of anime but just wait till i get home, yall gonna see some god drat anime

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I regret nothing as that is the first Sanrio character that owns and in ways is hella YOSPOS

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

fair enough, I relate

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I regret nothing as that is the first Sanrio character that owns and in ways is hella YOSPOS

I like chococat

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

i need to know the blood type of all the characters

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I

i

I am super ok with this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

mods ban this sick filth

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rosoboronexport posted:

For non-nordic country residents an explanation: Cross-country skiing is a big thing around here and Norway has been the king of it for the last decades and so far no signs of doping have been detected.

it is popular in minnesota too, because it gets very cold here but we do not have anything resembling olympic-tier mountains. in the summer, i see skiers training on bike paths using modified poles and goofy looking rollerblade-skis

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
as the rings have been posted, i'll announce it here: optimus_rhyme's gift is all ready to go, and I've talked to him and will be delivering the Gift as soon as the Bay Area Hell Storm ends so I'm not rear-ended by a thousand Priuses on bald tires as soon as I merge onto the highway

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

graph posted:

those cups are rad as heck. the robsonroxportorts are pro at living

agreed

we still use the plates and bowl they sent me for yosmas two(?) years ago

one of the ciders is still in the fridge, need to drink it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Thanks!

cooooool

I wish his calendar was still for sale

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

I wish his calendar was still for sale

yeah i tooted him and was just like 'im not selling it any more'

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

vanilla slimfast posted:

agreed

we still use the plates and bowl they sent me for yosmas two(?) years ago

one of the ciders is still in the fridge, need to drink it

Yeah, you should (esp if it's the one without the label, the labeled one might have gone too old at this point).

Edit: I'm still using the woolly hat Miley Virus sent me, it's v needs suiting.

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 9, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The gift is out for delivery.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ho ho ho

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:eyepop:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

:nws:

To paraphrase :allears: My Wife :allears: : Did you win some stupid contest or something?

I went to take the dog out for his nightly piss and saw a massive box with all this inside:
image quality is poo poo cause i'm using my kindle fire to take picture cause my phone battery literally died taking the first picture

and this

What's this?

OK

It's a PEN

With USB!

quote:

Dear optimus_rhyme,
Sorry this gift took so long! It's finally here at last, though, and that's what matters, right?
Right??
Anyway, you will find the following:
a powerful graphics workstation
a friendly computer for the home or business
a stylish computer for working on the go
a transforming gift for your older kid
boot disks, accessories, and adapters for those, including a high-quality mechanical keyboard which I believe is PS/2 compatible (boot disks for #2 above and AC adapter for #3 pending; the external hard drive is finicky and either won't read or doesn't have an OS)
a couple of trinkets
a sparcstation, idk
Also, knowing your penchant for infosec, and especially vintage infosec, I managed to find a VHS tape I remembered viewing and digitized it. To my knowledge, this isn't available anywhere else online. You'll be the first person other than me to see it in at least a decade. It is here: i'll share if you're okay with that (note Chrome might not like it; try VLC or Edge (ugh) and upload it to Youtube if you want).
Hope you've had a merry Christmas and that this belated Yosmas is merry too!
- atomicthumbs

*heavy breathing*

Let's open the one '4' kids. My wife decided to open this one instead of our son because

'my wife posted:

I'm not gonna let our son open some gift from some person on the internet

OMG

First the bag:

YASE!

But wtf is this monitor cable?

Ok, also in the bag was this awesome watch:

But I can't use this sun system with just these cables... unless

oh poo poo

feels so good.

Lets open the big one

O
M
G

again with the weird monitor cable tho

Ok ,what about the heavy square

WTF is this

W

T

F

I have no idea what this thing is, or how to power it but I'll see what I can do

edit: looks like nothing cause I suck at soldering

quote:

The Power supply is a 7.3V 2Amp. But you can get away with a 7.5VDC 2Amp adaptor (avaylable on ebay)...
Kaypro 2000 power socket is Center = Ground, Sleeve=12V 7.5V which is opposite of todays standard adaptor configuration.
SO you will have to either change the Power supply cable to match this or resolder the 2 wires on the power socket to fit the standard adaptor of Center = 12VDC 7.5VDC, Sleeve=Ground.

More info here: http://oldcomputers.net/kaypro2000.html

And finally, whatever the hell is in this bag....

My wife, upon me opening it, went full price is right jumping up and down because....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GsbvGCWZe0
it goes on like that for about 4 minutes until...

then I tried loading something and

But it rebooted fine so I started looking around

Mostly Fun and Games

Whoa, look at all these HyperCards

I wonder what 'cuties' is

An easy game, lets see what else is there

A cool music making app

Some word documents:

Is this some 90210 fan fic? Lets see shall we

oops

Other cool docs

Here's a graphics folder labeled 'other crap' hrmmm

I wonder were 'X' goes :smug:

Whoa

Seriously though this is the best thing ever. I haven't even tried using the CDrom that came with this thing!
More pics

I'll likely take all this stuff with me to work (since my place is so tiny I have no room for it here, lol Bay Yeah-rea) and get the other stuff working if I can.

Meanwhile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-3Aj03cAF4

Oh yeah, I'm going to make a sperate let's play, but just to give you a little preview I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hgOiPi3mz0

What should I press?

Seriously though, this is a stupid awesome gift that I don't deserve. Thank you!

Follow-up question, anyone know how to make a copy of an old mac harddrive called 'DataFrame XP 30'? I kinda wanna back it up so I have an image if/when the HD dies.

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 10, 2017

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

PANIC

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
lol im dyin

im ded

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
so awesome

is the hard drive scsi? or something else?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

oh my loving god I thought the hard drive was either dead or empty

lmao

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The drive is a Miniscribe RLL drive (the non-XP models were MFM); the interface is SCSI. Your best bet, barring a newer Mac with Ethernet (though I have a few in storage that'd work for that at some point) is a bunch of floppy disks; a SCSI2SD would probably work fine too, but they're more expensive than floppies.

If I were you I'd make note of what temperature that room's at because apparently you've hit the sweet spot between "cold enough the tracks are out of alignment" and "warm enough that stiction keeps the spindle from moving." I was going to order you a floppy with System 6.0.8 on it but it looks like that's not needed!

I'm still working on getting an AC adapter for the Kaypro; I'll send it your way (via mail instead of mystery porch present drop) when I get ahold of it.

There's a 13W3-to-VGA adapter in the bag; you'll need a monitor that supports sync-on-green, IIRC. My Dell Ultrasharp does, but I'm not sure how common that is. The mouse in there is a PS/2 optical mouse because trying to use a ball mouse is a tremendous pain.

Your challenge now: find out if the Indigo boots (if not, the NVRAM battery is probably dead, which I could fix for you at some point), use the CD-ROM drive, the SCSI terminator, the included cables, and those IRIX CDs to reset the root password on the Indigo. Being that it came from Marin, it may have originally belonged to ILM or something.

http://nekochan.net is your friend when it comes to SGI information.

I have its twin, so if it refuses to boot I could eventually fire mine up and find out where yours is from too. That'd have to wait for my summer break, though.

I'll upload the video to Youtube so people can look at it without VLC. I don't know what I did to the encode, but Chrome sure hates it!

Edit: youtube hates it too. apparently google burns with hated for h.265. whoops.

also that SGI probably cost somewhere in the vicinity of $30,000-$40,000 when it was new

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 10, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

The drive is a Miniscribe RLL drive (the non-XP models were MFM); the interface is SCSI. Your best bet, barring a newer Mac with Ethernet (though I have a few in storage that'd work for that at some point) is a bunch of floppy disks; a SCSI2SD would probably work fine too, but they're more expensive than floppies.

you could also use a FloppyEmu instead of a SCSI2SD, on the one hand it's Mac-specific and just as spends, but on the other hand you'd just keep it with your Mac Plus anyway, right?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
that is all pretty drat sick and also i guess we know who stole the razer prototype laptop now

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

also yeah listening to the video that drive is absolutely not supposed to sound like that

that'd be the heads stepping back and forth almost every time it tries to seek because it can't find the track

THEORETICALLY it ought to boot almost instantly but it's a miracle it works doing that

it shouldn't really get any worse, though, as long as you don't move the drive while it's spinning

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
holy poo poo dat mac

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

atomicthumbs posted:

oh my loving god I thought the hard drive was either dead or empty

lmao

:vince: