Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I've not received one yet, though I haven't been able to find anyone to hire me in years anyway. In the meantime, the demands by the JSA and Centrelink have caused me to have a breakdown twice. And now I've been diagnosed with MS, so bring on more shite, it's not like I'm not used to it by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Dark Project posted:

I've not received one yet, though I haven't been able to find anyone to hire me in years anyway. In the meantime, the demands by the JSA and Centrelink have caused me to have a breakdown twice. And now I've been diagnosed with MS, so bring on more shite, it's not like I'm not used to it by now.

You have my sympathy for being an innocent person caught in a system specifically designed to be as hostile as possible to the people who need it most because of malicious intent and (let's just call it what it is) theft of public money by rent seeking "job search provider" leeches that provide no benefits to society.

Who are actually monetarily incentivized not to provide a positive outcome for their "clients". Or "victims" as I would call them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Perverse incentives to rent seekers is basically all of Liberal Party Policy at this point.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
SIDELINED Health Minister Sussan Ley is no doubt used to having her name misspelled and mispronounced.

Those familiar with the Liberal MP know to add a third “s” in the middle of her first name and that, despite the spelling, it’s pronounced “Susan Lee”, not “Suzanne Lay”.

But this confusion wasn’t always an issue for the senior frontbencher (who, to be fair, has more pressing issues to deal with at the moment anyway).

Ms Ley deliberately added a third “s” to her name when she was approaching her 20s, she revealed in a 2015 interview.

The unusual spelling didn’t draw any influence from the politician’s family or cultural background, but rather, from numerology.

“I read about this numerology theory that if you add the numbers that match the letters in your name you can change your personality,” she told The Australian.

“I worked out that if you added an ‘s’ I would have an incredibly exciting, interesting life and nothing would every be boring. It’s that simple.

“And once I’d added the ‘s’ it was really hard to take it away.”

Sounds bizarre, right? According to Chris Brazel, “Australia’s leading numerology, feng shui and colour expert”, not so.

Ms Brazel has been researching and practising numerology for more than 20 years and has seen people transform their lives and companies transform their fortunes by simply changing their names.

As she explains, numerology is the study of the numerical value in words, linking them to other events.

When it comes to numerology and names, Ms Brazel says the letters in your name and their corresponding numbers must match your birth date. When they don’t match up, it means you carry a “birth emotion”, projected on you by your mother or father at the time of your birth.

According to the theory, these birth emotions can often cause anxiety and stress in people whose names don’t pass the numerology test but, thankfully, according to Ms Brazel, that can be fixed.

“With numerology, the day you’re born tells you everything about you, and your date of birth and name should match,” she says.

“Every letter has an energy vibration, and there’s a really complex formula to use which is pinpoint accurate.”

Ms Brazel says she has worked with people whose first names didn’t match their birth date, but a simple change of a few letters, and a “domino effect” of changes that followed, led to positive changes. She told the story of a nine-year-old named Brooke whose anxiety disappeared when the “e” was dropped from the end of her name, and businesses whose profits exploded after they changed their brand name on her advice, despite their products remaining identical.

She says that Ms Ley’s story of a name change affecting her life didn’t come as a surprise.

“You’ll often need to change your name to what’s happening in your life and, really, your energy totally changes,” she said.

“It might not be just be putting another ‘s’ on the name, but by doing that, this minister — or whoever the person may be — is consciously making a paradigm shift and there is a domino effect of changes that happens after it.”

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

SIDELINED Health Minister Sussan Ley is no doubt used to having her name misspelled and mispronounced.

Those familiar with the Liberal MP know to add a third “s” in the middle of her first name and that, despite the spelling, it’s pronounced “Susan Lee”, not “Suzanne Lay”.

But this confusion wasn’t always an issue for the senior frontbencher (who, to be fair, has more pressing issues to deal with at the moment anyway).

Ms Ley deliberately added a third “s” to her name when she was approaching her 20s, she revealed in a 2015 interview.

The unusual spelling didn’t draw any influence from the politician’s family or cultural background, but rather, from numerology.

“I read about this numerology theory that if you add the numbers that match the letters in your name you can change your personality,” she told The Australian.

“I worked out that if you added an ‘s’ I would have an incredibly exciting, interesting life and nothing would every be boring. It’s that simple.

Sounds bizarre, right? According to Chris Brazel, “Australia’s leading numerology, feng shui and colour expert”, not so.

Ms Brazel has been researching and practising numerology for more than 20 years and has seen people transform their lives and companies transform their fortunes by simply changing their names.

As she explains, numerology is the study of the numerical value in words, linking them to other events.

When it comes to numerology and names, Ms Brazel says the letters in your name and their corresponding numbers must match your birth date. When they don’t match up, it means you carry a “birth emotion”, projected on you by your mother or father at the time of your birth.

According to the theory, these birth emotions can often cause anxiety and stress in people whose names don’t pass the numerology test but, thankfully, according to Ms Brazel, that can be fixed.

“With numerology, the day you’re born tells you everything about you, and your date of birth and name should match,” she says.

“Every letter has an energy vibration, and there’s a really complex formula to use which is pinpoint accurate.”

Ms Brazel says she has worked with people whose first names didn’t match their birth date, but a simple change of a few letters, and a “domino effect” of changes that followed, led to positive changes. She told the story of a nine-year-old named Brooke whose anxiety disappeared when the “e” was dropped from the end of her name, and businesses whose profits exploded after they changed their brand name on her advice, despite their products remaining identical.

She says that Ms Ley’s story of a name change affecting her life didn’t come as a surprise.

“You’ll often need to change your name to what’s happening in your life and, really, your energy totally changes,” she said.

“It might not be just be putting another ‘s’ on the name, but by doing that, this minister — or whoever the person may be — is consciously making a paradigm shift and there is a domino effect of changes that happens after it.”

What the gently caress :o

Satire or what? Jesus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
'Sidelined' is a new one.

I bet there's journalists and editors all through the Australian news media fistpumping that it was Ley that had a big scandal. Not for any ideological reason, but because her name is so ripe for pun-based headlines and hashtags.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Sussan Ley charges taxpayers $13,000 for capital city charter flights

Health Minister Sussan Ley charged taxpayers more than $13,000 to pilot private charter planes along busy capital city routes and is refusing to say why she didn't use cheaper commercial options.

The embattled minister stood aside on Monday after a week of pressure over her travel to the Gold Coast and a property purchase during a taxpayer-funded visit.

But travel records reveal the licensed commercial pilot also charged $6300 to fly from Canberra to Melbourne in July 2014 and another $7000 to travel from Canberra to Adelaide in May 2015.

Ms Ley's social media accounts indicate she was in the cockpit.

On both occasions she had official ministerial business to attend to - for childcare policy meetings in 2014 and talks with GPs in 2015.

However, ministerial guidelines say charters can only be used under special circumstances "such as where no scheduled commercial services exist or a minister would be unduly delayed by the use of scheduled services".

A spokesman for Ms Ley refused to say whether any such special circumstances existed.

"Sussan Ley's travel claims are being independently reviewed by the Departments of Prime Minister and Cabinet and Finance," the spokesman said.

"Ms Ley, who has stepped aside from her ministerial position, is co-operating fully with these reviews and will await their outcomes. At this stage, it would be premature and inappropriate to be commenting before the release of the findings of these thorough reviews."

If she had flown commercially she could have done so at a fraction of the cost. Twice daily Canberra to Adelaide Qantas flights cost between $190 in economy and $815 for business-class.

Qantas typically runs Canberra to Melbourne flights once every hour on weekdays for between $180 and $770.

Ms Ley is a prodigious user of charter flights around her own electorate, racking up 120 charter flights at a cost of about $210,000 since 2014. She has previously justified these expenses on the basis she has a big electorate and it's the only way to efficiently serve her constituents.

"It's not an extravagant form of transport," she told the ABC in 2015.

"It's a third of New South Wales, and I love every inch of it," she said of her electorate at the time. "If I don't have the chance to talk to my constituents, my contribution is of a lesser value, I feel."

Ms Ley also regularly charters planes between Canberra and her home base of Albury, with costs ranging from $1500 to $4000 per flight - even though it's only a three and a half hour drive.

Other MPs from the area, including neighbouring crossbench independent Cathy McGowan, regularly make the drive.

According to Civil Aviation Safety Authority guidelines commercial pilots must fly three flights every 90 days to maintain their licences.

Ms Ley's social media indicates she also flew herself on a charter plane from Canberra to Melbourne on September 2 last year so she could attend an AFL women's match in her capacity as Sports Minister.

However it's unknown what she charged taxpayers for this flight because records for that period haven't yet been publicly released.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...110-gtosl7.html

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
These rorts have gone from unsurprising through embarrassing and all the way into impressive.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

The Dark Project posted:

Can you get on Disability from that? Getting on disability and off newstart was literally the best thing to ever, and will ever, happen to me in my entire life. The difference is literally life changing.

In a very tragic form of irony my experiences with Centrelink helped develop an anxiety disorder severe enough that I was eventually able to claim disability. Then after about a year of disability I was able to function enough like a human being again to work. Seriously they spent a decade hounding me and making me jump through hoops under the fictional excuse of getting me back into the workplace and all they had to do was leave me alone so I could catch my breath. After a decade of what Centrelink had done to me getting out from under it literally felt like I had stepped into a fantasy world. As if I had stepped into a world of fiction I had only read about. I'd marvel at myself shopping in the supermarket and walking down the street during the day while cars and people go by. "I'm buying eggs motherfucker! Eggs! At a supermarket! Look at me put these eggs in my basket like a person!" I'd listen to people talk and be amazed that people's conversations did actually sound a bit like they do on TV. Seriously, if I woke up in Middle Earth tomorrow it'd feel passe. I also got a multi-thousand dollar payday from the ATO when I finally put in the backdated "I didn't earn anything leave me alone" forms so they paid me back all the non-lodgment fees they took from me over the years. I still can't remember how I managed to pay off those fines while on a payment that pays less than the poverty line AND missing many payments due to not being able to make myself go to Centrelink. That entire decade kinda blends together into a fuzzy mass.

It's basically why I didn't reply about the Centrelink story request. My experiences were loving dark. It involves such stories as only not killing myself because I had already made a doctor's appointment before Centrelink cut me off and when I went out of obligation my doctor literally said the words "you don't have to go to Centrelink for 2 weeks so give me until then ok?" to pull me from the edge. I loving hate that place and still mentally picture the LNP as an existential threat. Abbott talking poo poo about people on disability a few days back sent a PTSD-like jolt of panic down my spine.

That went on a bit so sorry about that, but seriously look into disability. It's so much better if you're suffering mentally from what Centrelink does to you on Newstart. They will probably tell you "oh they've just changed how this works" or "but it's changing soon so I don't know" a lot but I'm sure you're used to that by now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I knew she was a pilot but I thought that was within her electorate and assumed it was to reach regional centres. But this, this is just stealing because you like flying.

Now extrapolate this to other MP's. But someone has to be backgrounding the media with this. This is long-term stuff, designed to shut the door on Ley's career just like Bishops. I'm in no way sympathetic to either, but there's more to this grubby bonanza.

edit: oh re disability. I finally twigged today why DSP and JCA's have been basically stopped up here in the last year because my doctor filled me in on what's been going on with NDIS. It was supposed to drop in this area in November and they keep putting it back for various excuses and we're now being told it won't get off the ground until March. So Centrelink have just sat on requests for processing because they want to offload the lot on NDIS the minute it becomes operational. I expect that to become news across the country as that filters through.

Also Higsian that's really loving awful but nothing surprises me about those bastards any more.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 10, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Staff inside the Centrelink unit responsible for income reviews and eligibility assessments warned officials from the Department of Human Services that automated data matching would lead to incorrect debts being issued to low-income and vulnerable Australians, an insider has revealed.

A longtime employee of one of Centrelink's income and debts teams said staff being reassigned to other work within the department were told computer-based debt recovery processes would be more efficient because the systems involved were relatively simple and would be less susceptible to errors.

The Victorian-based staffer, who Fairfax Media has agreed not to name, said public servants were "flabbergasted" by the justification for the new processes - which have already seen about 170,000 people receive debt notices from Centrelink including some seeking repayment of thousands and tens of thousands of dollars.

A growing list of welfare recipients say their debt notices include errors and demands for debt they insist they don't owe.

The Commonwealth Ombudsman said it was investigating the changes on Monday, following days of controversy and calls from Labor and independent MPs for the processes to be halted or shut down permanently.

"They don't care about average Australians, they don't care about their customers or their staff," the woman said.

"We told them 'poo poo', that's not going to work when they explained how the computer was going to do the work and said that it was going to misrepresent people's income and lead to incorrect debts going out, but they just told us 'computers and data can't be wrong'.

"They wanted to save a shitload of money and weren't interested in hearing what we thought about it."

The Turnbull government has downplayed the number of complaints received about the debt letters and customer services for welfare recipients trying to challenge the amounts they are being told to repay.

The staffer said longstanding cultural issues inside Centrelink and the department had contributed to the problems, with a view by senior bureaucrats that poorly developed online systems could be opened to the public and fixed later if faults emerged.

"There's a view that we should just keep moving, get customers off the phone and it is very frustrating for staff working inside DHS," she said.

"They deliberately make it hard for people to contact Centrelink to report problems and register for benefits. If you deter a few thousand people from registering for Newstart, even if they are eligible, it will save a lot of money for the government."

Last week the department quietly changed advice on its website requiring welfare recipients to keep evidence of income including pay slips for six months.

The advice now requires evidence of income to be kept indefinitely.

Labor's Linda Burney called on Human Services Minister Alan Tudge, who has returned from leave this week, to address the controversy.

"Sending out 20,000 letters a week, potentially 4000 of them mistakes, is crazy. It is not the way in which public policy."

In his first comments about the controversy, Mr Tudge stressed debt notices were only issued after recipients had clarified any possible discrepancy or ignored an initial notice.

He said recipients had three opportunities to correct inaccurate information.

"Labor is demanding we cease a process that has successfully recovered over $300 million of incorrectly paid taxpayers' money since July and, frankly, I don't think many taxpayers would support that call," Mr Tudge said.

"Centrelink is simply doing what has been done for years: cross-checking Tax Office income information against what welfare recipients have self-reported to Centrelink.

"The only major change is that it is more automated so we can complete more checks.

"People who work hard and pay taxes to assist those in need expect there to be integrity in the welfare system, and that is exactly what we are ensuring."

quote:

Last week the department quietly changed advice on its website requiring welfare recipients to keep evidence of income including pay slips for six months.

quote:

quote:

Jesus loving Christ

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Jesus loving Christ

Bill the government for a number of safety deposit boxes equal to the total population of Australia so everyone has a place to store all their payslips, forever.

What a pack of fuckwits.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
I have yet to received the letter from Centrelink saying that I owe them money.

Either I dodged the money-grubbing bullet or I'm going to have debt collectors at my door before I receive their letter.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I got the text from Centrelink before Christmas but can't login to the website because it's been five+ years since I had to and don't remember my password or ID number.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ink fades too. Like payslips don't last forever, especially if it's a casual job using paper.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SuddenCactus posted:

I got the text from Centrelink before Christmas but can't login to the website because it's been five+ years since I had to and don't remember my password or ID number.

Take the minister to the small claims court for your time billed.

(I'm talking out my rear end but I find the idea hilarious)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Certainly makes that Nazi coffee pot expense seem even more sinister. :godwin:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Centrelink loving the poor while the health minister bills the state for her private flights to keep her commercial pilots license and buys property from party backers is possibly not the best optics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

"Labor is demanding we cease a process that has successfully recovered over $300 million of incorrectly paid taxpayers' money since July and, frankly, I don't think many taxpayers would support that call," Mr Tudge said.

Ahahaha

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

In his first comments about the controversy, Mr Tudge stressed debt notices were only issued after recipients had clarified any possible discrepancy or ignored an initial notice.

Liar. People logging on to mygov get an update notice and the moment they click on it they get slugged with a debt notice.

quote:

He said recipients had three opportunities to correct inaccurate information.

Liar. They are threatened with debt collectors and it's not their job to correct anything.

quote:

Liar. It's already been admitted that the percentage of debts is miniscule compared to the demands for payment.

quote:

"Centrelink is simply doing what has been done for years: cross-checking Tax Office income information against what welfare recipients have self-reported to Centrelink.

"The only major change is that it is more automated so we can complete more checks.

Bullshit. It's obvious it's rigged to be unfair. Who decided to avoid using ABN's, the most obvious thing to cross-check with?

quote:

"People who work hard and pay taxes to assist those in need expect there to be integrity in the welfare system, and that is exactly what we are ensuring."

Scumbag. Lies and smugness. And demanding indefinite evidence, when you legislated for banks to destroy their records after 7 years? Scumbag.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When you say "scumbag" or "liar" to which LNP member are you referring?

I tried narrowing it down using those words as wildcard criteria and that filter must be bugged or something because it didn't eliminate anyone.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

When you say "scumbag" or "liar" to which LNP member are you referring?

I tried narrowing it down using those words as wildcard criteria and that filter must be bugged or something because it didn't eliminate anyone.

:golfclap: It's not class war, it's a faulty regex.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Man my story isn't anything like yours but it did remind me how long I've now been unemployed and receiving unemployment and I think all that messaging has been worming its way into my mind because I started to feel incredibly guilty even though I know I really shouldn't but that feeling has started chasing me of late.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Tarantula posted:

Man my story isn't anything like yours but it did remind me how long I've now been unemployed and receiving unemployment and I think all that messaging has been worming its way into my mind because I started to feel incredibly guilty even though I know I really shouldn't but that feeling has started chasing me of late.

To add to this, there's a beat-up story about jobseekers basically every week on ACA et al, so it's being drilled into people constantly. If I didn't have an unemployed stint to give some perspective to my parents about that kind of life, I'm sure they would have some deformed opinion they would spout off about like they do everything else.

The plus side is you have what most people don't: time. You can use that to volunteer, get really loving good at card tricks, get into politics, blog, cook, bird-watch, whatever. Just do something other than wallow in front of the Nintendo. Being unemployed will give you plenty of excuses to sleep in late, and sleeping in late will give you plenty of excuses to not leave the house for the day. Just try and get into as many sympathetic ears as you can in situations where the things people know about you is a little more substantive than what's on your drivers licence and that fact you don't have a job at the moment.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah that feeling of guilt and shame is what they want you to feel. If the government really wanted people to have jobs they'd set up an organisation to straight up link employers and employees instead of this requiring boilermakers (I ran into more than a few of these looking for work) and whatnot learning interviewing and resume writing skills they will never use on their actual jobs. The way we do it is terribly inefficient even before you get into the morality of it. But it's not designed to help people find work, or even help employees find workers, it's designed to grind down your pride so you'll never realise you deserve far more than you get. The whole of society is backwards and it's nothing to do with you. I know it's tough with all the propaganda but hopefully knowing the obstacles set up in front of you and the knowledge that there are people out there that know it's not your fault helps you keep your head up.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Frogfingers posted:

To add to this, there's a beat-up story about jobseekers basically every week on ACA et al, so it's being drilled into people constantly. If I didn't have an unemployed stint to give some perspective to my parents about that kind of life, I'm sure they would have some deformed opinion they would spout off about like they do everything else.

The plus side is you have what most people don't: time. You can use that to volunteer, get really loving good at card tricks, get into politics, blog, cook, bird-watch, whatever. Just do something other than wallow in front of the Nintendo. Being unemployed will give you plenty of excuses to sleep in late, and sleeping in late will give you plenty of excuses to not leave the house for the day. Just try and get into as many sympathetic ears as you can in situations where the things people know about you is a little more substantive than what's on your drivers licence and that fact you don't have a job at the moment.

Yea I've had to move in with my dad recently in order to save money and i'm pretty thankful he's helpful I know plenty of other people have it far worse.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm honestly glad to stumble into some talk that isn't "Them dolebludgers probably owe us all debts!!"

I've never been talked down to more in my life than I have when trying to deal with the unemployment people, and I'm just waiting for my debt notice given the amount of screw-ups I've already had in my account.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Higsian posted:

Yeah that feeling of guilt and shame is what they want you to feel. If the government really wanted people to have jobs they'd set up an organisation to straight up link employers and employees instead of this requiring boilermakers (I ran into more than a few of these looking for work) and whatnot learning interviewing and resume writing skills they will never use on their actual jobs. The way we do it is terribly inefficient even before you get into the morality of it. But it's not designed to help people find work, or even help employees find workers, it's designed to grind down your pride so you'll never realise you deserve far more than you get. The whole of society is backwards and it's nothing to do with you. I know it's tough with all the propaganda but hopefully knowing the obstacles set up in front of you and the knowledge that there are people out there that know it's not your fault helps you keep your head up.

This is exactly the problem, in my opinion. I think that while actually knowing how to interview and put together a resume is actually usefull, the system right now is not actually designed to help and that's v hosed up

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
After waiting 3 months to get Newstart I got a job a week before my first payment. I expect to receive a letter from Centrelink any day now.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Magog posted:

After waiting 3 months to get Newstart I got a job a week before my first payment. I expect to receive a letter from Centrelink any day now.

Make up a bunch of fake pay slips that show you earned $1m in the time you've been on it and see what they do.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Tell them a cabinet member bought your house and they'll give you a contract instead.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Magog posted:

Have you tried moving your corporate headquarters to Switzerland?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First dog:

https://twitter.com/JohnJohnsonson/status/818797433517785088

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Recoome posted:

This is exactly the problem, in my opinion. I think that while actually knowing how to interview and put together a resume is actually usefull, the system right now is not actually designed to help and that's v hosed up

Back when I applied for Newstart the provider I was assigned to actually found me the job I've been in for the last eight years. I'm terrified of dealing with the system now. How did we manage to forget the lessons of the past so quickly?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The title of the actual article is "Is Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes speech really why Trump won?", so thanks to Betteridge's Law I didn't have to read the rest.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a range of dates/financial years known to be covered by centerlink debt fuckup?

I've been overseas for a year and can just picture a debt letter sitting unread for another year causing some drama...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Where's the terrible graphs thread?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
At least it's thoroughly labelled.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The title of the actual article is "Is Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes speech really why Trump won?", so thanks to Betteridge's Law I didn't have to read the rest.

I think the problem here is, and ~unpopular opinions~ warning, there's a bit of a point here (broken clock right twice a day). It's great that Streep can talk about these things but really she comes from an establishment which regularly disempowers women and non white people so it's almost offensive when Meryl loving Streep comes out and says inoffensive thing when really it's been said a lot and for a fairly long time too but hey lucky a famous person has told me what to think now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Where's the terrible graphs thread?

Here, but I'm posting this for you because holy poo poo, that is astounding.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 10, 2017

• Locked thread