Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nobby posted:

One day, the editors of the X-line will be held to account for their crimes against spelling. But not today.

That is such an Angry Claremontian Narrator line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Now I really want to hear Jay Rachel Edidin read it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rantmo posted:

Now I really want to hear Jay Rachel Edidin read it.

I'm also a big fan of Miles's Gambit, it's so creepy.

So Death of X is a comic. I admit I like Bobby's reaction to the Inhumans use of Downers power without warning.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 4, 2016

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm really not looking forward to the finale since they're basically going to have to cram the entire event into it because nothing has happened yet. It feels like it's been three issues of stalling for time and then a thing will happen and then it's on to the next event. I'd like it to be good, but I just don't see how it's anything other than a letdown.

Also, all of the X-Plain the X-Men Patreon voices are great though I think my favorite Miles voice is either Sexy Dracula or Apocalypse. I chose the Angry Claremontian Narrator for mine.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

rantmo posted:

I'm really not looking forward to the finale since they're basically going to have to cram the entire event into it because nothing has happened yet. It feels like it's been three issues of stalling for time and then a thing will happen and then it's on to the next event. I'd like it to be good, but I just don't see how it's anything other than a letdown.

Also, all of the X-Plain the X-Men Patreon voices are great though I think my favorite Miles voice is either Sexy Dracula or Apocalypse. I chose the Angry Claremontian Narrator for mine.

The whole Death of X thing seems like it's basically just a lead-in to IvX, considering that the escalation between the Inhumans and the X-Men is literally the only thing that's happened. There's no point to flashing back eight months; the books had enough on the current status quo that seeing just how the Terrigen clouds float over the world is totally pointless. And the only "mystery" to be revealed is how Scott died, which, again, doesn't matter because how he died doesn't have any impact on what's going on.

I really can't wait for ResurreXion because, as much as I've enjoyed All-New Wolverine and every other issue of All-New, this whole era feels pointlessly contrived around an event in continuity that literally doesn't matter.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rochallor posted:

The whole Death of X thing seems like it's basically just a lead-in to IvX, considering that the escalation between the Inhumans and the X-Men is literally the only thing that's happened. There's no point to flashing back eight months; the books had enough on the current status quo that seeing just how the Terrigen clouds float over the world is totally pointless. And the only "mystery" to be revealed is how Scott died, which, again, doesn't matter because how he died doesn't have any impact on what's going on.

I really can't wait for ResurreXion because, as much as I've enjoyed All-New Wolverine and every other issue of All-New, this whole era feels pointlessly contrived around an event in continuity that literally doesn't matter.

Well, the mystery at this point is IF Scott died, and where Emma is.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure if this is entirely appropriate here, but I am the only one now bearish on Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men never getting to big line re-launch in the early 90s? I get that they both say the podcast is going to stay on track, but any time you get collaborators moving really far apart, it gets way harder to keep things on track.

It sucks because that is not only the best X-Men podcast out there, it's easily the best comics podcast out there-- a plot recap podcast that somehow ends up staying more interesting than others and covers a decent amount of issues a year (probably in excess of 200 a year) I could just be my usual cynical self about it, of course.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There's been some kind of amicable separation looming over the show for a while now, and while I would love for the both of them to keep on X-Plaining right into the modern era, if it's easier (and healthier) to build to a predetermined end point, I hope they do. Better than watching the whole endeavor lurch slowly and awkwardly into a shallow grave. And there's always the hope that someone else will be inspired to do something similar (New Teen Titans!) even if everything turns out just fine and they continue on unimpeded.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait whats going on? I am behind and sounds like non-podcast realated serious happened.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

twistedmentat posted:

Wait whats going on? I am behind and sounds like non-podcast realated serious happened.

They decided to amicably divorce. Reading Jay's articles on the subject, it sounds a bit like his making the full transition to male put some stress on the relationship.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
ah poo poo. I'm glad they're still friends and can't imagine how difficult that situation is for them both. I'm still in the 130's, so I'm behind.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The fact that they've got a professional producer and also experience with long-distance guests speaks favorably for the future of the show. It's not just some fly-by-night operation. So the means are all there as long as they're willing to continue the show.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Incidentally, Edidin's columns about transition were pretty eye-opening for me. https://medium.com/@raebeta

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah, Jay's a hell of a writer and that column has been just incredible to read. My only fear with the podcast is that the audio quality will suffer if Jay is recording remotely, but that's mostly just because I'm super-picky about sound and the podcast's audio has always been so good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

With a professional producer and editing, sound quality will be fine. It's a matter of each person recording their half of the conversation and combining them afterward. Accidental Tech Podcast does this and it's no different than them being in the same room. (Takes longer to produce, though, obviously.)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inkspot posted:

There's been some kind of amicable separation looming over the show for a while now, and while I would love for the both of them to keep on X-Plaining right into the modern era, if it's easier (and healthier) to build to a predetermined end point, I hope they do. Better than watching the whole endeavor lurch slowly and awkwardly into a shallow grave. And there's always the hope that someone else will be inspired to do something similar (New Teen Titans!) even if everything turns out just fine and they continue on unimpeded.

See, I didn't pick up on it until this episode. But I didn't read Jay's Medium column or anything of the like. So I guess it was a shocker, sort of like how two friends of mine seemed to have a decent marriage until they not-so-amicably separated this summer. I'm also an eternal pessimist, (more so after 2016) meaning I always assume the worst. Meaning, I have a hard time seeing this podcast move past the spring when Jay moves to NYC.

I wouldn't mind if the podcast stopped at a set position in continuity, but I'm worried that they drop off at a random point and nobody else has an easy way to pick back up. I know I'd love to do a podcast that started at the 90s reboot, (it's where I initially got into comics at) but a) I'd never do anywhere near as good a job as those two have with stuff, and b) I'm seriously ignorant of the plotlines between the the end of AoA and the Grant Morrison reboot in the 00s-- I get that it was a low point in the comics, but it does need to be covered. Part of my slight frustration is that the other big era of the comics that I missed was the one they are currently on (X-Men breakup, then gradually getting the team back together for the reboot after Muir Island) so this is finally new stuff for me that might last most of the rest of the calendar year. But I'm now hoping you guys are right, and that the people involved aren't fly by night amateurs.

Also, if you are looking for something with New Teen Titans, Titan Up the Defense is covering the series, albeit at a glacial pace. There is really no other podcast I've seen that covers a comic the way X-Plain does, which is surprising since it seems incredibly popular.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Why is nobody in the marvel universe protesting the inhumans ongoing genocide of mutants

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The thing Cyclops didn't do that didn't make him mutant Hitler made all the humans hate the mutants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Inhumans have AMAZING PR people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

Also, if you are looking for something with New Teen Titans, Titan Up the Defense is covering the series, albeit at a glacial pace. There is really no other podcast I've seen that covers a comic the way X-Plain does, which is surprising since it seems incredibly popular.

I haven't listened to it in a while, but the Fantasticast does something similar to Jay & Miles (I discovered it when Jay & Miles mentioned it in their X-Men vs FF podcast) for the Fantastic Four. They're two English guys who both have other comics podcasts.

One cool feature they have for each episode (at least as far as I listened) is that they'll do a sort of "also this month in Marvel" segment which summarises the other stuff happening in other Marvel books at the time.

They end each episode by playing the number-one single in the UK at the time of the comic's publication.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Fantasticast is solid. Didn't know about Teen Titans Wasteland/Titan Up the Defense. Is there a reason they start reviewing Defenders alongside NTT? Seems like a weird choice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

There's an Inhuman that has the power of PR.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Only because Sinister killed the X-Men PR woman during Gillen's run. She was a damned professional!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't listened to it in a while, but the Fantasticast does something similar to Jay & Miles (I discovered it when Jay & Miles mentioned it in their X-Men vs FF podcast) for the Fantastic Four. They're two English guys who both have other comics podcasts.

One cool feature they have for each episode (at least as far as I listened) is that they'll do a sort of "also this month in Marvel" segment which summarises the other stuff happening in other Marvel books at the time.

They end each episode by playing the number-one single in the UK at the time of the comic's publication.

I listened to a few episode of Fantasticast, and it was a little too glacial for my tastes. They're also very much more serious along an axis that has them almost at one end and Titan Up the Defense/Teen Titan Wasteland on the other. These guys do legit seem to love the stuff, but one issue an episode means you are milking the Lee/Kirby stuff forever. I get that there are effectively only 2-3 good runs of FF, (Lee, Hickman, maybe Waid) so they are trying to maximize the time in the first one.

Inkspot posted:

Fantasticast is solid. Didn't know about Teen Titans Wasteland/Titan Up the Defense. Is there a reason they start reviewing Defenders alongside NTT? Seems like a weird choice.

I think the have the commonality of both being comics that Hub likes. He's a really enjoyable host, but the podcast story-wise is the most glacial of any of them (1 issue every two weeks since it's alternating) which is a little wearing. Besides that, I don't think there's another podcast that does anything similar with comics-- 90% of them are neckbeards talking about collecting, and I personally don't enjoy that side of the hobby at all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aw man, kinda sucks to hear Jay & Miles are breaking up. But at least it's

Finally got caught up on the latest issue of Enemy of the State II. It's a love letter to the Liu run (as well as stuff like Target X). I love it!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If worse comes to worse, it would be oddly appropriate for Jay and Miles to do one episode on the 90s relaunch and just walk away.

Does anyone have opinions on Paul Cornell's work on Wolverine? (Stuff from the past couple years leading up to his death, it looks like.) I know him from his work on Doctor Who, which is rather excellent, but I've heard pretty mixed stuff about his run. I'm not generally a big fan of Wolverine but I like Cornell enough I thought it might be worth looking at.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rochallor posted:

If worse comes to worse, it would be oddly appropriate for Jay and Miles to do one episode on the 90s relaunch and just walk away.

Does anyone have opinions on Paul Cornell's work on Wolverine? (Stuff from the past couple years leading up to his death, it looks like.) I know him from his work on Doctor Who, which is rather excellent, but I've heard pretty mixed stuff about his run. I'm not generally a big fan of Wolverine but I like Cornell enough I thought it might be worth looking at.

It's boring as poo poo. Read Wisdom and his captain Britain runs

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Considering most of the time their remote guests sound like they're in the studio with them anyway, I don't doubt they will be able to maintain the production values of the podcast, assuming they can manage bicoastal scheduling issues.

They have said for a while that they format of the show would have to change once they get into the period neither of them is super into (most of the 90s), going away from issue by issue recaps and more onto broad character or arc deep dives, like they did early on and recently with the Cable episode.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JoshTheStampede posted:

Considering most of the time their remote guests sound like they're in the studio with them anyway, I don't doubt they will be able to maintain the production values of the podcast, assuming they can manage bicoastal scheduling issues.

Now I feel just dumb, because I thought that guest hosts got brought into studio. The multi-location podcasts I listen to normally aren't anywhere near that level of sound quality. That legit does make me feel better about quality going into the future.

quote:

They have said for a while that they format of the show would have to change once they get into the period neither of them is super into (most of the 90s), going away from issue by issue recaps and more onto broad character or arc deep dives, like they did early on and recently with the Cable episode.

Yeah, I sort of expected that to hit at some point. I'd almost rather see a less reverent podcast handle the era, because it's definitely worth some laughs, ala early Greatest Generation's send ups of the awful early seasons of TNG. I have no real knowledge of the era from right after AoA to the Morrison stuff except that it was bad, but I almost want to dive into it and see how bad it really is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, I sort of expected that to hit at some point. I'd almost rather see a less reverent podcast handle the era, because it's definitely worth some laughs, ala early Greatest Generation's send ups of the awful early seasons of TNG. I have no real knowledge of the era from right after AoA to the Morrison stuff except that it was bad, but I almost want to dive into it and see how bad it really is.

I enjoy Alan Davis's run on the two main books, although mainly for his art.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Miles and Chris X-plain the X-men.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Miles and Chris X-plain the X-men.

They should change it to X-plain the X-woman. Has anyone done this joke yet.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chickenwalker posted:

They should change it to X-plain the X-woman. Has anyone done this joke yet.

No because it's loving awful

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I actually glossed over that for a second because my mind processed it as a suggestion to do a podcast specifically about women who have worn the X, and considering Chris Claremont is a person who exists I'm sure there's plenty that could be said (not discounting, like, the entirety of the rest of the industry).

But, no, it's a lovely trans joke.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

rkajdi posted:

Now I feel just dumb, because I thought that guest hosts got brought into studio. The multi-location podcasts I listen to normally aren't anywhere near that level of sound quality. That legit does make me feel better about quality going into the future.

I'm sure some are actually in-studio. Kurt Busiek lives in Portland, not sure who else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I finally checked out Extraordinary from last year and it is pretty decent. But wow it isn't just Bendis who writes young Jean as the worst person ever. So much casual mind invasion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's almost as if she was forced upon the X-Books and nobody actually wants to use her in their stories.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

It's almost as if she was forced upon the X-Books and nobody actually wants to use her in their stories.

Young Jean is probably the one of the O5 with the most potential for interesting stories, it's just nobody's managed to actually write one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rochallor posted:

Young Jean is probably the one of the O5 with the most potential for interesting stories, it's just nobody's managed to actually write one.

The other four have all gotten somewhat interesting stories and the only thing she's gotten is an insane doppleganger from another alternate future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was like super not into Extraordinary for the longest while and then one week it just clicked for me around the time Magic killed the little girl.

• Locked thread