Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
An elaboration is that earlier I proposed the possibility of an approach to the Force in which the entire Dark/Light struggle is irrelevant. At least one poster interpreted this as a wholly alien mindset inaccessible to humans.

SMG quoted something calling the death of Christ the ultimate pagan scandal. This is where he conflated the paganism of Rome with the entire world outside of it. The scandal of the Christian world is that there were places in which Christ's death was never necessary, that possibilities outside of their God and his death exist.

I am saying that there are people who never needed Christ but were forced to accept him. For these people, Christ came to enslave them. The truly terrifying part is that the suffering inflicted on them thereby lead many to embrace Christ. Christians learned that by inflicting suffering, they could make Christ necessary to people who never needed him.

This is the power Palpatine wields.

e: those who believe that all of this was done despite Christ and his teaching instead of by Christ according to his teaching are Zod. I am saying that Superman was right to destroy them. Krypton had it's chance.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Danger posted:

From that site:
"Hey Luke, did I ever tell you that all Jedi used to dress like homeless moisture farmers the same as I do, despite that still dressing like a Jedi is no good way to hide from Empire? It was a good robe though."

That is actually an important distinction within the series of films. Remember that Episode I-III are sequels to A New Hope. In A New Hope, Obi-Wan's robes signify him as blending in or living amongst the desert tribes; they are tribal and working class garbs. The Jedi order takes them as uniform in the sequels.

Except that's already been thoroughly debunked in this thread: Ob i-Wan's costume is different from the moisture farmers in Episode IV already, being based on samurai garb. Likewise, the Jedi have individual robes in the prequels, all of which are different from the moisture farmer look. There'S a huge post with all the different costume designs and designer'S comments on them that shows that this particular meme is bullshit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except that's already been thoroughly debunked in this thread: Ob i-Wan's costume is different from the moisture farmers in Episode IV already, being based on samurai garb. Likewise, the Jedi have individual robes in the prequels, all of which are different from the moisture farmer look. There'S a huge post with all the different costume designs and designer'S comments on them that shows that this particular meme is bullshit.

If someone has this post, I'd love to read it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

If you look at a shot where moisture farmers and Jedi are both in frame, you can visibly see that the farmer robes are made of much coarser material. The Jedi ostentatiously dress like peasants, but they still live in a palace just down the street from the Senate, and that's something they carry with them everywhere.

Yeah, notice that in RO, Jyn's mom is wearing something approaching Jedi robes, yet for all we know she's just a farmer.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hodgepodge posted:

I am saying that there are people who never needed Christ but were forced to accept him. For these people, Christ came to enslave them. The truly terrifying part is that the suffering inflicted on them thereby lead many to embrace Christ. Christians learned that by inflicting suffering, they could make Christ necessary to people who never needed him.

A similar point came up in a conversation I had the other day about Silence. I wouldn't have expected Silence and Star Wars to evoke similar theistic arguments.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

Hey, why don't we just ask John Mollo, the guy literally in charge of designing the costumes for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back?

Guess we'll just have to throw TESB into the trash bin along with the prequels now.

Or let's take it even further. Let's look at Ben Kenobi's outfit in Episode IV and compare it to Uncle Owen's:

The only thing they have in common is that they're both wearing robes, and that they're both wearing double-breasted garments. Everything else is completely different. Owen is wearing a dirty little shirt that only goes down to his waist; Ben is wearing a long kimono-like garment which reaches all the way down to his toes. Owen's sleeves are narrow and functional; Ben's sleeves are wide and billowy. These differences were all intentional, and were meant to differentiate Ben from the Tatooine farmers by giving him a look like more akin to a Japanese samurai warrior wearing traditional hakama garb:

Unlike Owen, Ben also wears a sash around his middle called an obi, which was probably a partial inspiration for his name (ken is a Japanese word meaning "sword"; thus, a literal translation of Obi-Wan Kenobi would be something like "Sash-Wan Swordsash".)

A look at the evolution of costume concepts for General Kenobi, by Ralph McQuarrie:

The standard Jedi costume for the prequels was clearly designed as a blend between the kinds of outfits seen being worn by Ben Kenobi and Yoda in the originals and the outfit seen being worn by Luke in Return of the Jedi:

So hell, let's just throw it all out. It's obvious no thought was put into any of it. gently caress the prequels. gently caress the originals. gently caress Star Wars in general.

Cnut the Great posted:

Sorry for my harsh tone. But like many things, I find it hard to understand why this has emerged as a perennial criticism of the prequels, because, I mean, did you actually watch the movies or didn't you?

Like, people actually complain about prequel Yoda being dressed exactly the same as Obi-Wan and all the other Jedi or some such bullshit. Well, no, in all three prequels he's actually wearing more or less the exact same outfit he wears in Empire, only not as ragged. It follow basic Jedi convention, of course (just as it did in Empire), but it's not the same as everyone else's:

This makes sense, because it's not as if Yoda would have taken the time to give himself a complete fashion overhaul before heading off into exile.

And you can see that it's also not true that all the Jedi dress completely identically:

There's a baseline Jedi style, and there are slight variations as well as major deviations on that style on display within the ranks of the Jedi Order. Just like you'd see in any culture, really.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
There's also the part where dead Jedi Anakin in ROTJ wears those same kind of robes as Obi-Wan and Yoda. So I don't see how anybody could have expected Jedis to wear anything dramatically different from 1983 on.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also it behooves the Jedi to wear robes that are easily mistaken for robes a poor moisture farmer would wear - something common - since part of a Jedi's role is that of an intelligence operative, a spy.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Hodgepodge posted:

An elaboration is that earlier I proposed the possibility of an approach to the Force in which the entire Dark/Light struggle is irrelevant. At least one poster interpreted this as a wholly alien mindset inaccessible to humans.

SMG quoted something calling the death of Christ the ultimate pagan scandal. This is where he conflated the paganism of Rome with the entire world outside of it. The scandal of the Christian world is that there were places in which Christ's death was never necessary, that possibilities outside of their God and his death exist.

This is the power Palpatine wields.

e: those who believe that all of this was done despite Christ and his teaching instead of by Christ according to his teaching are Zod. I am saying that Superman was right to destroy them. Krypton had it's chance.

The power Palpatine wields is precisely what SMG is alluding to."Pagan" as i've always read it, applies to rationalisations and justifications of atrocities carried out in the service to some Big Other, acts justified for a "greater good" or as "natural outcomes" or whatever. Christ's teaching confronts this directly. Like you say, he came to bring the sword - Love - that cuts through such rationalisations.

In this sense, the death of Vader is the ultimate pagan scandal, because he didn't bring balance to the force. In doing so he demonstrated that the emperor has no clothes, undermining this power with a tragic punchline. SMG was in agreement with you, this dark/light struggle is irrelevant, but Palpatine is a symptom. The Jedi Order didn't question taking command of a slave army, or that slavery persists outside their purview; The Republic allowing a conglomerate the same rights as a planetary political body within the senate and so on, Palpatine simply exploited what was already there.The tricky part is what comes after Vader's death, if the Republic is restored.

Charlie Rose: What are we talking about here then? Must there be a Superman?

Senator June Finch: There is.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The "Radical Christianity" Zizek has to offer is more or less Gnosticism without the numinous, the ecstatic, the contemplative. Which, to be fair, is about what you can expect out of a fairly orthodox Marxist trying to engage with religion. It's an interpretative framework, but good lord, don't try to make it the center of your spirituality.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

Who are these people who never needed the universal emancipation that Christ stands for?

In Star Wars terms, you are implicitly taking about the primitive-communist Ewoks. Weren't they 'better off' not being discovered? The first problem here is that, again, the Ewoks don't have healthcare. They practice cannibalism and so-on. But, moreover: the ship has sailed. Now that they've been contacted, there's no going back. So what are they going towards?

This imagery is very deliberately racially charged, but the point of any such 'first contact' story (as Star Trek has always toyed with) is that these 'primitive' people confront us with our own limitations. Will the Ewoks be brothers in a true universal democracy, or will they be simply assimilated into a Republic as token faces of the liberal multiculture (as Jar Jar was)?

You can say that Jar Jar was better off in the swamp under Boss Nass' rule, but the truth is that the Republic's colonialism - what ripped the Gungans violently out of their life-world - is also what opened up the space of universality for them.

"Another example to make this clear, one of my heroes Malcolm X, the great American fighter for black rights, who was a little bit more violent than Martin Luther King jr., chose to replace his family name with just an X, as the unknown, because at an immediate level he wanted to emphasize how the blacks, by being torn out of their African ancestral homes, are deprived of their roots. But the programme of Malcolm X was not, 'so let’s return to those roots,' but X means: what if we grasp this very void into which our enslavement put us, the fact that we don’t have any genuine tradition to rely on, that we have to, as it were, collectively, re-invent our identity as a unique opportunity of freedom. And it’s also clear that he followed this line, in the end he was right, he found a new universalist frame in Islam. He had no dreams about returning to origins."
-Zizek

In much the same way, Martin Luther King is much more a Christian than any of the people who sought to oppress him.

The danger is in saying that universality itself is the problem, and 'if you have a point of view, then you are truly lost!'

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You don't need something until you know it exists.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, Malcolm's conversion to Islam had no effect on how he saw himself and certainly didn't provide any traditions for him to act within. Not a bit.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Star wars thread, in which SMG defends the White Man's Burden

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Who are these people who never needed the universal emancipation that Christ stands for?

In Star Wars terms, you are implicitly taking about the primitive-communist Ewoks. Weren't they 'better off' not being discovered? The first problem here is that, again, the Ewoks don't have healthcare. They practice cannibalism and so-on. But, moreover: the ship has sailed. Now that they've been contacted, there's no going back. So what are they going towards?

The healthcare aspect of this argument is deeply ironic, considering what Christians brought to the Americas wasn't healthcare. It was smallpox.

In terms of Star Wars, there is no option presented outside of the Dark/Light dichotomy. This leads many to assume that these are objective, scientific aspects of the Star Wars reality. In our world, the people who didn't need Christ were the people who were not already enslaved by Rome and had never believed in its gods or that of Judaism.

And in the end, your "now what" is a permutation of my observation that Christianity creates the suffering it proposes to solve. "Oh, I'm sorry that everyone who spoke your language is dead and we beat you for speaking it as a child. Have you heard the Good News?"

quote:

The danger is in saying that universality itself is the problem, and 'if you have a point of view, then you are truly lost!'

Is the only possible point of view universal? The connection between universality and imperialism barely needs to be elaborated upon.

(Note that this doesn't foreclose the possibility that we, the West, need Christianity. The most difficult thing for a white man to admit is that his problems and solutions are his own and not everybody else's).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 10, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, Malcolm's conversion to Islam had no effect on how he saw himself and certainly didn't provide any traditions for him to act within. Not a bit.

It has nothing to do with 'abandoning traditions'.

X found a new universalist frame in Islam. In Christianity, you have the Holy Spirit which is the community of believers. The origin of these believers is irrelevant:

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Phi230 posted:

Star wars thread, in which SMG defends the White Man's Burden

That is precisely the opposite of what I wrote the burden is on the Ewoks. Will they get such things as universal healthcare, and what kind of bullshit will they have to go through to get it? Can they coexist without being exploited? The point of evoking the 'violent' X is that they will undoubtedly have to fight for it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Officially, at least in the nu eu they get used as comforters for wounded rebel and republic military.

quote:

As a manner of recompense for saving Endor, some Ewoks agreed to travel offworld to help Rebel veterans recuperate, working with Doctor Arsad as "therapy Ewoks." Therapy Ewoks were offered to those who had suffered the horrors of war, such as decapitation or witnessing tragedy, and needed help with their recovery. Those that found this option distasteful were sometimes given the use of a therapy droid instead.

They are fuzzy and like being stroked.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 10, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Okay, I finally saw Rogue One, and it's loving awesome. I'm looking forward to watching the entire series again, from Episode 1 through Episode 6, because the ending of Rogue One actually strengthens the end of A New Hope.

This Rebellion made up of the dregs of society--war orphans, deserters, mendicants, criminals, you name it--is led by a loving committee of aristocrats in silk capes. The fighters have sacrificed everything, even their own morals, and the committee decides to just throw it all away after concluding that they don't have a pragmatic master plan.

So the revolutionaries pull it off in spite of them, and then literally with their dying screams hand off their achievements to a scion of this aristocracy. This is some serious "First as tragedy, then as farce" poo poo. Amazing.

(Literally my only complaint about this movie is that I can't remember anyone's names. Gin Enzo, Rook Chinook, Saw Bobloblaw, K9 Cop, this is getting memey so I'll stop now.)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

X found a new universalist frame in Islam. In Christianity, you have the Holy Spirit which is the community of believers. The origin of these believers is irrelevant:

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

There were early Christians who encountered Buddhism and argued that the two faiths were identical. Are you arguing that the origin of the community of believers is irrelevant in that sense, that we should recognize "the Holy Spirit" as independent of this or that tradition and form a greater community based on a mutual desire for emancipation?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

ShineDog posted:

Officially, at least in the nu eu they get used as comforters for wounded rebel and republic military.

They are fuzzy and like being stroked.

I like how that excerpt can be read as "those who had suffered the horrors of war, such as [experiencing] decapitation."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

There were early Christians who encountered Buddhism and argued that the two faiths were identical. Are you arguing that the origin of the community of believers is irrelevant in that sense, that we should recognize "the Holy Spirit" as independent of this or that tradition and form a greater community based on a mutual desire for emancipation?

Correct!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

We're in agreement then.

Although I was kind of hoping for a lightsaber duel :sigh:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I'm sorry, this is very interesting but I'm unclear what point it is rebutting. What is the original argument that this is responding to?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

In fact, the "X" is about a new tradition.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jewmanji posted:

I'm sorry, this is very interesting but I'm unclear what point it is rebutting. What is the original argument that this is responding to?

Someone earlier had argued that Obi-Wan was dressed as a farmer in ANH in order to blend in on Tatooine and that the prequels hosed up by aping that style for every jedi.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thank you for finding this.

Jewmanji posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone earlier had argued that Obi-Wan was dressed as a farmer in ANH in order to blend in on Tatooine and that the prequels hosed up by aping that style for every jedi.

And then someone made reference to a large post laying out the differences between all of the outfits worn, which I asked for.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The former is correct, the latter is not.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That is precisely the opposite of what I wrote the burden is on the Ewoks. Will they get such things as universal healthcare, and what kind of bullshit will they have to go through to get it? Can they coexist without being exploited? The point of evoking the 'violent' X is that they will undoubtedly have to fight for it.

The Republic, as a neoliberal entity, no doubt would exploit the Ewoks. They didn't land on Endor, Endor landed on them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

*forest moon of* Endor. Come on man.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

*forest moon of* Endor. Come on man.

I was never clear if that meant the planet was Endor or if it was like "the land of mordor."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All of Star Wars take place around Endor.

The desert moon, the ice moon, the no moon...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I always liked how Star Trek had a very anti imperialist message

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Phi230 posted:

I always liked how Star Trek had a very anti imperialist message

Wut? Star Trek was imperialist as poo poo. Like, it's in the loving theme song.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, but the kind of imperialism where you let someone's planet fall into the sun because you wouldn't want to ruin their "authenticity."

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Danger posted:

Wut? Star Trek was imperialist as poo poo. Like, it's in the loving theme song.

Prime directive says leave people alone

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Phi230 posted:

This, I claim, is ideology.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Phi230 posted:

Don't they ignore this in basically every episode?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In TNG yeah. I am just getting through it now and I am midway thru season 3.

They gently caress it up all the time. But it's a decent thing to follow.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Original Star Trek is all about collapsing social systems and leaving people in chaos with no alternative while Captain Kirk laughingly explains that they'll enjoy the challenge of building a society for themselves. He's really a very bad socialist and racist against totalitarian computer intelligences and omnipotent blobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Ewoks all died a few years later when ten billion tons of debris de-orbited onto their moon

• Locked thread