Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

free basket of chips posted:

With a ritual summon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

With a ritual summon?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

With Sophie, the Goddess of Rebirth?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

With a ritual summon?

The perfect dimension can only be formed by sacrificing the trash ones.

Ritual Dimension with Ritual Yuya and Gong saving the day.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

With a ritual summon?

The gently caress are you talking about with this 'ritual summon' poo poo?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Somebody said that besides shilling that Gear deck Asuka must have been killed before this because Zarc has no 'gently caress Rituals' button. I could see it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They could've easily added a No Ritual button, his entire deck is to no-sell it all. The staff simply like Crow more and see him as the more popular character, so they used him to drum up numbers in the "Lets Job To Zarc 'till It's Reiji Time" line.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Take it with a grain of salt but supposedly a new interview with Arc-V's director has him saying that everything is building up to the finale and someone who couldn't possibly appear will show up.

We're still owed one Zexal character and two DM characters.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I saw a theory floating around ages ago that Kaiba would be the big bad mastermind of Arc-V, since he bankrolled Academia in GX and gives zero fucks about busting through dimensions to find good duelists.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ither posted:

We're still owed one Zexal character and two DM characters.

No they owe us an apology for the first Zexal character.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kite is great though (even if they did screw up his deck).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ciphers are a good replacement tho.
Especially when his biggest gimmick, anti-Numbers, cant be applied.

But why no cipher matter dragon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We did get a second Zexal character.

They just decided that Anna had to be genderbent for some reason.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ciphers are a good replacement tho.
Especially when his biggest gimmick, anti-Numbers, cant be applied.

But why no cipher matter dragon

I would have preferred more generic Galaxy support, instead of getting a bunch of new things that don't function well on their own.

All of the other returning characters got new support that works with their old cards, so it's weird to me that Kite didn't.

Plus I really like Galaxy.dek so I'm biased anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

To be honest, I only really dug Jack. He felt like a perfect fit for the series, giving Yuya someone to aspire to and try to defeat, like some sort of rival. Crow's alright I guess but he's Crow, Ed just doesn't really feel like Ed, Asuka didn't get to do much and Kite is just kinda there.

You can kinda tell that the idea of returning characters was made with Jack Atlas in mind, then an executive decided that shilling more Blackfeathers is always worth it. After that it was just "what cards Can we shill a bit or are on the pipeline? ehh, bring the character that fits best I guess.", I mean, Ed and Kite don't even really use Fusions and XYZ much in their original series.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dexie posted:

Kite is great though (even if they did screw up his deck).

oh you mean shun 2: exactly the same character as shun

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

oh you mean shun 2: exactly the same character as shun

Kite came first so other way around.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I mean, Ed and Kite don't even really use Fusions and XYZ much in their original series.

Kite had a handful of Xyz he used in Zexal, and he had quite a lot of them in the manga.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No I mean that Kaito in Arc-V is indistinguishable from Shun except for how he's flat and boring

Everything he does could be replaced by Shun with minimal rewriting and would be more effective since it's a character the show has established instead a lame copy of an already not great character from a not great show who is only sticking around as a desperate ratings ploy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Agreed. AV Kaito is just. There. And replaces Shun for three seconds before backpeddaling and going "wait, no, Shun should duel his sister. HERE'S SHUN?"

"What's Kaito's defining trait?"
"He committed pretty evil acts for the sake of his family, specially Haruto"
"Well, we can have someone else mention it once in a flashback and be done with it."
"Next in line is Ed's deck, defining trait is British Anti-heroes"
"D... Dystopia. Guy. Done and over. Grab ZeXall III, slap a D and call it UtopiaGuy for his final ace, now lets go back to writing JACK ATLAS"

Arc V is not a well made show after its first year. I guess we now know that Yoshida's less to blame for 5D's troubles, tho

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 11, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm glad I stopped shortly into synchro to wait for it to finish.

The Dimensional Warfare plot was way stupider than it originally looked.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You made the right choice. This is me during the late Synchro arc and early Year 3 :smith:

The story is dumb, the villain is unrelatable, the characters are so underused (the big tragic moment is four girls dying... and we only really knew two of them, one kinda sorta and the last has never really spoken outside of short flashbacks or a bug mind controlling her while it gropes her monster's boobs) it's crazy, the villain force is so impossibly tiny that heroes need to just sit and do nothing even when they win just so everyone gets one in and Yuya's development is like seeing a toddler try to drive stick. Animation's been way too shoddy for a while now and now it's becoming more and more likely that the show's being mismanaged and animators aren't even getting the materials needed to do their work.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I feel that the show would have been better if Standard had been the aggressor, because that's what pendulum summoning is, the main deck invading the extra deck. That, or Leo's plan should've involved fusing all four dimensions, and not just all four of his daughters.

That said, reading the summaries makes me appreciate that the two times that the girls have gone up against their direct counterpart one-on-one, they've won.

Lulu should've beaten Shay, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Senerio posted:

I feel that the show would have been better if Standard had been the aggressor, because that's what pendulum summoning is, the main deck invading the extra deck. That, or Leo's plan should've involved fusing all four dimensions, and not just all four of his daughters.

That said, reading the summaries makes me appreciate that the two times that the girls have gone up against their direct counterpart one-on-one, they've won.

Lulu should've beaten Shay, though.

Oh but it did! Leo fuses all the dimensions, now they're standing on some platforms from different dimensions.

Huge asterisk tho, the girls don't actually fight. They're being controlled by some evil scientist, thus they have none of their personality and their wins come from using a fusion monster they wouldn't have otherwise.

Shun's win is literally because "Uh, I know what's best for you. Always have. But that time I didn't? Now I know I was wrong, man i've grown as a character, OTK."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh but it did! Leo fuses all the dimensions, now they're standing on some platforms from different dimensions.

Huge asterisk tho, the girls don't actually fight. They're being controlled by some evil scientist, thus they have none of their personality and their wins come from using a fusion monster they wouldn't have otherwise.

Shun's win is literally because "Uh, I know what's best for you. Always have. But that time I didn't? Now I know I was wrong, man i've grown as a character, OTK."

Zuzu was fully in control of herself in Episode 2, where she beat Yuya clean.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Senerio posted:

Zuzu was fully in control of herself in Episode 2, where she beat Yuya clean.

Oh yeah, okay that one was amazing and i'm happy that happened. I tend to just try and distinguish Arc V's first season from the rest of the show because year 1 was actually good. Yuzu even had a subplot and a rivalry going.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I wonder if they ever trained anymore Lancers or did everyone just agree how terrible that sounded and went about their lives?

Got to play a load of Legacy of the Duelist on Steam. Great fun for the most part, but I wish there was a way to have cards pop up a message to activate their effect when relevant, rather than every part of the turn. It's great fun playing through the GX Campaign and roasting decks with a Pendulum / XYZ deck that would fall apart if someone played a Spell Jamming card.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They killed their pacing by sticking to 1year/1dimension. Synchro could have been over ao much faster, but no gotta have crow summon raikiri every other ep.
Synchro should have started with the Jack Atlas curbstomp by like, the third episode in, the Jean Michel/Council/revolutionKAKUMEI DA KAKUMEI DA subplot by the fifth and then four-five eps for the friendship cup, then another four-five to roundup.
A good 20 episodes instead of 50.

They seriously squeezed themselves for time by overextending certain plots, now the most hyped up aspects, zarc and dimensional fusion, have barely any time to resolve in a satisfying way.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 11, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

While that is true, do note that we've also spent over four episodes on Battle Beast, which i love but that's clearly something not as important compared to the rest of the run. Heck, we're spending five episodes on Zarc stomping a chocolate box of Lancers. I think it's less that Synchro Year made them squeeze the story too tight for the end and more like Synchro Year was the beginning of aggressive time mismanagement that would plague the rest of the show.

Just watched this week's episode. That sure was 20 minutes of Kite and Shun achieving nothing and not harming Zarc in any way shape or form beyond making him draw one (1) card from his deck. :psyduck: Also ghosts, but who knows where they come from, hi allan and zayaka bye allan and zayaka. :psyduck:

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 12, 2017

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
There's been another dub clip of Dark Side of Dimensions released, Bakura still has his dumb accent :3:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
zarc is the broly of yu-gi-oh

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

His dueling....
Is MAXIMUMER

E: hi animation budget, gongenzaka, Jack

Hiw I have nissed you

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 15, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

zarc is the broly of yu-gi-oh

I love this. It's exactly true.

Also, at least these episodes have lead to westernyugiohfandom.jpg

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why did it have to be Crow Konami? :argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I never understood all the hate Crow gets. Then again, 5Ds is my second favorite YGO series so :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is kind of boring and sidelines a much more interesting female protagonist.

Plus his archetype gets a weird amount of love.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Buy Blackwings.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I kinda like the idea of the boss monster being this ever-growing threat that each supporting character tags in to try to defeat over the course of one duel. Better than simply starting a duel each time with a fresh field.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

TFRazorsaw posted:

Buy Blackwings.

I'll buy them when Konami write a consistently competent female character.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ApeHawk posted:

I kinda like the idea of the boss monster being this ever-growing threat that each supporting character tags in to try to defeat over the course of one duel. Better than simply starting a duel each time with a fresh field.

The way this is going it might be better if they did start with a fresh field and then try to FTK him. And if they fail thay dont have gimped themselves with 2000 LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The way this is going it might be better if they did start with a fresh field and then try to FTK him. And if they fail thay dont have gimped themselves with 2000 LP.

Okay, idea: we give everyone a duel disk and an exodia deck. Each person gets a turn after the last one doesn't draw all of exodia on their first turn until eventually one does.