Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I've never really gotten much into fanfiction before, but something about this show just catapulted me into the world of reading fanfiction.

My favorite right now is a one-shot based on some tumblr alternate universe fanart.

(from http://fishontree.tumblr.com/post/155598160754/from-beanpots-beautiful-day-and-night-au)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/9267092 this is it and you should read it because it's real cute and stuff (and not particularly long).

But my other favorite one is an AU wherein young Victor tells Yuuri he's fat and they become ultra rivals instead. It's also very very good. http://archiveofourown.org/works/8748484

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

GorfZaplen posted:

I believe in you JJ! You can easily make third, or maybe fourth place! It's JJ style!!

Always believe in him. He can rule the world, JJ.

(Also as an aside, I've been listening to a nice little cover of his theme. If nothing else, it's nice having a version with slightly less awkward phrasing haha. Love the original still though.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Hopeford posted:

(Also as an aside, I've been listening to a nice little cover of his theme. If nothing else, it's nice having a version with slightly less awkward phrasing haha. Love the original still though.

Missed opportunity to JJ STYLE in that video.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

YOI admittedly did not have better animation throughout than mob psycho so I get being frustrated by that (even in a, y'know, just for giggles vote) but the sheer amount of salt over seeing it do so well in the Crunchyroll awards is absolutely hilarious.

People apparently think YOI fans should not have been allowed to vote because they're "biased" ahahahahahahahaahahhahaahah

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yes, we must remove all bias in the voting for an internet award. All votes are determined by robots from now on.

To be completely fair, though, YOI's animation was more janky than I would generally think a "Best Animation" award could get away with.

So, like, I only agree with them to a point.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you can make a case that it was the most ambitious in terms of animation, but it failed where shows like mob and eupho soared. i do wish the imagined "YoI bloc" would've been a little more in touch with reality when voting in that category.

but maybe it's presumptuous to act like they're straight up wrong, when it could've been the only nominee they watched, or the animation just resonated with them more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
To be fair YoI did have some very well animated bits, it could be that the heights of the show are more memorable than the low points.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Could be, yeah. At its high point it was fantastic- but I'm biased, mob was just incredible at points (please watch mob psycho if you haven't, folks; check out the op at least, it's incredible).

I voted for YOI for a lot of awards save best animation and best op.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Mob Psycho has some stellar animation, but most of it is standard limited anime movement, just well rendered. If the small pockets of amazing animation are what makes it a winner, the same could be said for YOI. It doesn't need to 100% be incredible, but there are enough incredible parts vs bland/bad parts.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Unmature posted:

Mob Psycho has some stellar animation, but most of it is standard limited anime movement, just well rendered. If the small pockets of amazing animation are what makes it a winner, the same could be said for YOI. It doesn't need to 100% be incredible, but there are enough incredible parts vs bland/bad parts.

Sure, but I think what MP100 has over YoI is basically a much bigger bag of tricks (especially if you pay attention to really advanced techniques like different parts of shots being animated at different frame rates, shots done in different media etc) and basically the absence of any low points of production failure. It's really at the cutting edge of a lot of innovations in 2D animation. YoI has good shots but roughly speaking it's basically a re-implementation of techniques we saw previously in that Japan Animator Expo short.

To steal a term, MP100 really "knocks the lamp" in a bunch of ways in its fights.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 11, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Eh I guess. I'm a few episodes in to MP100 and nothing has made me feel even close to the way that the first three episodes of YOI did and that was definitely bolstered by the animation. Like I'm watching a couple eps a week and I was ravenous for YOI and a lot of that was I just needed to see more pretty boys. And "animation" is a pretty broad term that doesn't just mean technical tricks. Was costume design its own category? I'd roll that into there if not. And the emotion displayed by the characters in YOI is in a whole different league from the few different emotions we see in MP100.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
not even a contest. yuri on ice had some good animation at points and i love it, but it doesn't come close to beating mob psycho in terms of skillful and attractive animation. that's a category that yoi can't win in.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm just playing devils advocate here. I don't know who I would've picked because I haven't finished MP100 yet, but I can see both sides. Also awards given out by websites don't mean jack poo poo anyway.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
yeah i wouldn't put any stake into the crunchy awards anyway. the options they gave for each category were really weird and they omitted a lot of great shows so as soon as i saw that i realized that it was going to be laughable no matter what won in any category

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Unmature posted:

Eh I guess. I'm a few episodes in to MP100 and nothing has made me feel even close to the way that the first three episodes of YOI did and that was definitely bolstered by the animation. Like I'm watching a couple eps a week and I was ravenous for YOI and a lot of that was I just needed to see more pretty boys. And "animation" is a pretty broad term that doesn't just mean technical tricks. Was costume design its own category? I'd roll that into there if not. And the emotion displayed by the characters in YOI is in a whole different league from the few different emotions we see in MP100.

I think you really should finish MP100. The themes and emotional stakes of the show only later become clear.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

I think you really should finish MP100. The themes and emotional stakes of the show only later become clear.

Oh, I definitely am! I really like it. Dunno what I'll watch next. I hear mixed to great things about Flip Flappers, so maybe that.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
that's another great choice and i highly recommend it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unmature posted:

I think you might be mixing up "animation" with "art/character design". Animation refers specifically to how the illusion of motion is created.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I think you might be mixing up "animation" with "art/character design". Animation refers specifically to how the illusion of motion is created.

I know, but I'm asking how it's split up by Crunchyroll. If "best animation" is the only award they have referring to something visual, it could be a catch all.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Who cares about best animation, Yuuri and Viktor won the best couple award by 69% :laugh:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Unmature posted:

Anime of the decade.

hell yeah

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Oh poo poo, it's another post from me!

Here's Miyamoto in hi-def Guys, I cannot wait for the rest of the extras. I really hope we also see the lady who skated for Yurio.
And here's Stammi Vicino up against the first episode Most of the changes were to the timing, but see my comment above. I really want to see someone do the spins on camera.
Where the events from Yuri On Ice fall in the skating season
Two options for the second season (Reminder: It has not been announced.)

Bonus! Volume 2 cover is out!
https://twitter.com/CDJapan/status/819715365198446592

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I've been posting my cosplay work (mostly Jojo) over in the sewing thread in DIY, and when I mentioned my next costume was Yuri Katsuki, someone suggested I post my progress in here. Thought I'd ask if y'all were interested first, I'm making his warm up outfit and his short program costume.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Goldaline posted:

I'm making...his short program costume.

yes

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

So I figured I'd give this a try and ended up watching it all in two sittings, didn't expect to like it this much but it was really good.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Goldaline posted:

I've been posting my cosplay work (mostly Jojo) over in the sewing thread in DIY, and when I mentioned my next costume was Yuri Katsuki, someone suggested I post my progress in here. Thought I'd ask if y'all were interested first, I'm making his warm up outfit and his short program costume.

Definitely, although there may be some opinions along the way.
I suggest getting swatches from the various sports/spandex retailers.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Maera Sior posted:

Definitely, although there may be some opinions along the way.
I suggest getting swatches from the various sports/spandex retailers.

I may not know much, but boy I know spandex!

It's impossible to really tell textures from the animation, but I made the decision to do it in black stretch velvet, with the sheer panels in black power net with a bigger holed fishnet over it that's black with a silver foil. then silver lame for the weird...uh...jewels? I assume they are meant to be giant sequins or something, but I'm going to make them little dimensional stuffed gems I think.

Anyway, less impressive but I'm making progress on the casual gear:

I made the top from scratch because I couldn't find anything close enough for my liking. A friend is making me an iron on vinyl Mizuno logo though I feel weird making essentially bootleg brand name clothing! Pants were workout pants that were the right shape, but had white where I needed teal, so I ripped them apart and replaced it. The same teal will be the piping on the jacket, eventually.

I will also get a haircut, promise!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Goldaline posted:

It's impossible to really tell textures from the animation
You're in luck! The original costume designer did a series of interviews about the costumes and there are swatches included for the animators!

Here's the link for episode 3: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/10/26/behind-the-scenes-of-yuri-on-ices-costume-design-3/

Have you considered using clear thermoplastic for the gems?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 14, 2017

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Maera Sior posted:

You're in luck! The original costume designer did a series of interviews about the costumes and there are swatches included for the animators!

Here's the link for episode 3: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/10/26/behind-the-scenes-of-yuri-on-ices-costume-design-3/

Have you considered using clear thermoplastic for the gems?

Yeah, I've seen that, it's great! Though you can tell there was a lot of changes from those initial designs to what we see on screen. The fishnet looks spot on to what I bought. The velvet might not be 'canon' but I thought it needed some kind of texture, it's really a lot of plain black space. And it will photograph nice and black, black spandex comes off grayish often.

I hadn't! If there's one thing I don't know, it's prop making! I tend to just make everything out of fabric because it's what I'm comfortable with. But I'll look into it if I don't like how my gems look!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Goldaline posted:

I hadn't! If there's one thing I don't know, it's prop making! I tend to just make everything out of fabric because it's what I'm comfortable with. But I'll look into it if I don't like how my gems look!
Worbla has put out a number of videos showing how to use their stuff. You could take a look at this one:
http://www.worbla.com/?p=5424

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Goldaline posted:

Are you some kind of spandex wizard, my god :stare:

Really excited to see the progress on Yuuri's SP costume, I can't even imagine how to begin making that.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Unmature posted:

The real better contender is Euphonium by several hundred miles

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Goldaline posted:

I will also get a haircut, promise!

Whoa, I hope this doesn't weird you out but I think I've seen pictures of your cosplay stuff before. You do fantastic JoJo stuff!

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Goldaline posted:

Amazing stuff! :aaa:

And with that haircut, you could easily cosplay as JJ or Otabek

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Whoa, I hope this doesn't weird you out but I think I've seen pictures of your cosplay stuff before. You do fantastic JoJo stuff!

Thank you! I mean, I've posted it in the cosplay and sewing threads here, so it's not that weird. Never actually in the Jojo thread though, dunno why. I've done Mista, Josefumi, and JoJolion Kira. And now I'm working on Yotsuyu Yagiyama which has been hellish. I started Yuri as an 'easy' costume for when I needed a break from that project.

Miss Nomer posted:

Amazing stuff! :aaa:

And with that haircut, you could easily cosplay as JJ or Otabek
That's my normal summer haircut, so I'm definitely thinking about doing Otabek for Otacon this year. I hate wearing wigs so I try to pick characters that I can work around my own hair.

Ok, I'll stop derailing the thread, you'll see me again when I finish the jacket or start drafting the short program outfit.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Finally finished this and Amanchu in the same dayish span and despite all the press I think Amanchu is actually the recent show that saved the gays and anime.

Liked YoI a lot though. I'm losing my mind over Yurio's free skate outfit. Really enjoyed all the later skating sequences (and all the rear end) The ep. 10 credits sequence was

Looking forward to next year's female skater focused spinoff, Bella on Ice.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Finally decent merch charms.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The ending to this didn't really stick the landing for me. The last second drama felt kind of forced and also Otabek didn't make it on the podium.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There was a discussion earlier in the season about which anime people would still be talking about 10 years later and now I'm not so certain YoI would be one of those shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

There was a discussion earlier in the season about which anime people would still be talking about 10 years later and now I'm not so certain YoI would be one of those shoes

It depends on season 2

• Locked thread