Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Countdown till this gets nerfed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
hey goons new elite player here

I picked up the elite complete pack during the winter sale to play spacemans with a few of my GTA goonbros and I thought I would post in the thread for a little guidance. once i did the training missions enough to get some idea of what to do I used the sidewinder to get myself a hauler, then I used that to grind out my first million spacebuxx. once I had the cash i got myself into a type-6 transporter and now I'm grinding up cash to put together a cheap fighter build but I'm not sure what the next step will be after that? One friend put together a cheap eagle build to wing up and do some police ship kill scumming? but I was also looking at the viper mk4? and I'm not sure which one to go with. I know that I'll need to learn how to shoot at other ships but what should be my next few steps to get up to the next class of ships? I am slowly raising my rank in the federation? and have started working out of the Ix system to try to get better paying missions but this game really doesn't hold your hand and I'm not sure of the best way to proceed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

NuckmasterJ posted:

Tis an interesting video, but hardly relevant to a noob to the game. A Sidewinder full of loaned kit isn't the most combat effective ship I think.

Pull up the missions screen and look for small deliveries or information delivery missions. Thye should allow you to up your kit or head towards something cobra flavored fairly quickly. As you do this, you'll raise your standing with various places and get a feel for the local area. Once you get a bit of cargo space you can trade as well as run missions, assuming that you're going from agricultural -> industrial/tech, or extraction -> industrial/tech.

On the commodities screen, the 'galactic average price' column can be switched to showing where imports the good in the area, but it tends to populate when you travel to a system or buy the market details.

Try to keep a buffer of cash to replace the thing that you're flying a couple of times to avoid becoming a space hobo.

Oh, and fit a scanner. Scanning each system that you visit can give you neat residual income that pays for itself many times over.

Vecna
Feb 14, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Countdown till this gets nerfed

It'll turn out to be a typo and the reward will actually be 100,000.

But in case it's not, how did you get that gem of a mission?

Vecna fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 10, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vecna posted:

It'll turn out to be a typo and the reward will actually be 10,000.

ftfy

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Are these engineering changes retroactive to existing mods?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kavros posted:

Would like to know this too. Overcharged was very good and I have a grade 4 multicannon with it, but I don't think an extra +10% damage will make up for no extra RoF and -15% clip size, maybe it balances out well but it doesn't sound that great from a "let's have fun" standpoint.

Also, since they added military slots, it got me thinking - one of the big reason they quoted (very long ago admittedly) for not improving some ships that definitely needed it was that "internal slots are planned out based on the ship size and model so we can't add/remove/change size of internals". Now they are adding new internals to a bunch of ships? So it was just a lame-rear end excuse as I always suspected?

Not complaining, I like the idea of those extra purpose-limited internals very much, but it's not a very happy feeling. Just like the Cobra MkIV is the biggest disappointment ever.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Pull up the missions screen and look for small deliveries or information delivery missions. Thye should allow you to up your kit or head towards something cobra flavored fairly quickly. As you do this, you'll raise your standing with various places and get a feel for the local area. Once you get a bit of cargo space you can trade as well as run missions, assuming that you're going from agricultural -> industrial/tech, or extraction -> industrial/tech.

On the commodities screen, the 'galactic average price' column can be switched to showing where imports the good in the area, but it tends to populate when you travel to a system or buy the market details.

Try to keep a buffer of cash to replace the thing that you're flying a couple of times to avoid becoming a space hobo.

Oh, and fit a scanner. Scanning each system that you visit can give you neat residual income that pays for itself many times over.

Thanks for the tips! I started doing missions, using eddb.io to find commodities to fill the orders. Made 20k off my first one, so I guess it isn't all to bad. I used to play quite awhile back and apparently I scrubbed my character, but I still have an Eagle parked in the noob station so I got that going for me eventually!

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Kavros posted:

That was what was said in the beta forum thread, so I assume it's carried over to the real patch?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kavros posted:

Supposed to be. Meant to be the same roll data values extrapolated to the new ranges but who can really tell with an installed module.

Especially if it's a completely new stat like WEP reduction on lightweights.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

"If you find all the data entries... oops - did I just say I knew how many there were? Forget about that! This is totally new and I really need a capable pilot like you to go out and find however many data entries which I know absolutely nothing about. Now go with haste!"

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I would settle for a single, size 2 exploration package which only used 1 internal but combined the functionality of the ADS and DSS...

This, all of it! Or add 3x size 1 slots to every ship or allow larger slots to hold multiple size 1 modules.

Basically do what they did for planetary approach modules for scanners and docking comps

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

coupedeville posted:

I picked up the elite complete pack during the winter sale to play spacemans with a few of my GTA goonbros and I thought I would post in the thread for a little guidance. once i did the training missions enough to get some idea of what to do I used the sidewinder to get myself a hauler, then I used that to grind out my first million spacebuxx. once I had the cash i got myself into a type-6 transporter and now I'm grinding up cash to put together a cheap fighter build but I'm not sure what the next step will be after that? One friend put together a cheap eagle build to wing up and do some police ship kill scumming? but I was also looking at the viper mk4? and I'm not sure which one to go with. I know that I'll need to learn how to shoot at other ships but what should be my next few steps to get up to the next class of ships? I am slowly raising my rank in the federation? and have started working out of the Ix system to try to get better paying missions but this game really doesn't hold your hand and I'm not sure of the best way to proceed.

I'd suggest going for a python. It's very versatile, jack-of-all-trades type ship. Can be outfitted for hauling, combat, mining and general mission grinding.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Kavros posted:

Yes. At least they're supposed to be.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

TorakFade posted:

Would like to know this too. Overcharged was very good and I have a grade 4 multicannon with it, but I don't think an extra +10% damage will make up for no extra RoF and -15% clip size, maybe it balances out well but it doesn't sound that great from a "let's have fun" standpoint.

Also, since they added military slots, it got me thinking - one of the big reason they quoted (very long ago admittedly) for not improving some ships that definitely needed it was that "internal slots are planned out based on the ship size and model so we can't add/remove/change size of internals". Now they are adding new internals to a bunch of ships? So it was just a lame-rear end excuse as I always suspected?

Not complaining, I like the idea of those extra purpose-limited internals very much, but it's not a very happy feeling. Just like the Cobra MkIV is the biggest disappointment ever.

That's bullshit. Internal slots are nothing more than lines in a database. They can literally do whatever they want until the program runs out of memory. So, lame-rear end excuse gets many vote.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Krycek posted:

That's bullshit. Internal slots are nothing more than lines in a database. They can literally do whatever they want until the program runs out of memory. So, lame-rear end excuse gets many vote.

Internal slots also get a space on the model so your weapons can target and hit the modules you put into them. That sounds a bit more complicated then just "lines in a database".

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Krycek posted:

I'd suggest going for a python. It's very versatile, jack-of-all-trades type ship. Can be outfitted for hauling, combat, mining and general mission grinding.

You're telling a dude agonizing between a viper and an eagle to buy a python?

This loving thread...

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Zigmidge posted:

You're telling a dude agonizing between a viper and an eagle to buy a python?

This loving thread...

quote:

I'm grinding up cash to put together a cheap fighter build but I'm not sure what the next step will be after that?

Well, I read his post as if he was asking for a longer term goal. Python doesn't seem that far off if he's already in a type 6. Iirc, it took me ~2 weeks to go from type 6 to python.

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 10, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Libluini posted:

Internal slots also get a space on the model so your weapons can target and hit the modules you put into them. That sounds a bit more complicated then just "lines in a database".

Perhaps, but I'm sure a coder could fake it easy enough if they really wanted. Point is, they don't want to rebalance things and are content to have to have ships like mk4 cobras be outright inferior to most anything else in their class.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Welp I'm ~100 jumps into trolling the Plieades for a lil' alien action. Anal probe status: not yet probed

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Krycek posted:

Yes. At least they're supposed to be.

Supposed to. Or I guess I get to have Lostech.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
so is the cargo stuff removed from upgrades or what?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Krycek posted:

Well, I read his post as if he was asking for a longer term goal. Python doesn't seem that far off if he's already in a type 6. Iirc, it took me ~2 weeks to go from type 6 to python.

yeah the eagle vs viper 4 thing is just to get a cheap fighter so I can start becoming proficient in space combat, but for the longer term I need to do some more reading and learning about this game to see what the next big step is. I enjoyed playing ETS2 so I'm totally cool with being a space trucker for a while if that's what it takes to get to the next level but I'm not sure what I should be aiming for next or even what the next level of ships/money grind looks like?

I also know nothing about the end game but the orca beluga ship looks sexy as gently caress and isn't the endstage of any multiplayer game supposed to be flying around in a space yacht thumbing your nose at all the poors? I'm still ignorant about a vast majority of this game so I wanted to post and see what the goon hivemind had to say about it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
*insert waiting as a skeleton meme*

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

coupedeville posted:

If you want a 'fighter' your goal is a Vulture. It is basically the most capable fighter-type ship you can get. If you want an all-purpose, you should get a cobra iii. It is the single best all-around mission ship in the game until you can exploit yourself into a python. It has space for cargo, weapons, and can kit to whatever mission easily. It has alright armor, and is fast enough to run from most anything if you want to. Most importantly, it is affordable to upgrade. Despite what some posters will claim, you absolutely need to A-class some expensive components on the large ships if you want to survive combat now, and you can do that on the small ships reasonably well despite the garbage mission payouts.

The Viper IV looks to be comparable to the Cobra iii, but it had less internal space until the addition of the mil-module slot. It should perform better in combat but it is slower so running may be tricky.

The Asp Explorer has a lot of internal space and the only reasonable jump range for long-distance travel. It feels like rear end to fly and will get chumped in a fight. It is also an relatively expensive to kit compared to the smaller ships. If you want a mission-ship that hauls cargo and has a reasonable jump-range(but ignores combat) then I would recommend sticking with the type-6 over the Asp; in my experience the Type-6 is just as good for every purpose outside of combat but can run away better than the Asp.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

making space forums great again

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The viper mk 4 is a trash can and is superceded by every ship in its price point, there is no reason to ever own one. It multi roles worse than the Cobra (both versions) and is worse than the viper mk3 and Cobra mk3 for combat.

The ASP is actually a really good combat ship, 6 hard points all on center mass gives it a huge amount of firepower until you can afford a vulture. It's a little less maneuverable than a cobra and has relatively weak shields for its size but they don't detract from its ability to destroy things as long as you're aware of its limitations (e.g. don't get in a fight with multiple ships and no backup) it's a fantastic multi role ship.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
No love for the FDL as a fighter along with the Vulture, or are y'all not mentioning it because of its (IIRC) crazy pricepoint?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Morter posted:

*insert waiting as a skeleton meme*

:frontear: Patch Notes posted:

-For increased immersion, all modules will now be transferred at Newtonian velocities.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trustworthy posted:

No love for the FDL as a fighter along with the Vulture, or are y'all not mentioning it because of its (IIRC) crazy pricepoint?

If you can afford a FDL you could also afford a python, and if you can only get one, the Python is more useful. And IMO flies better. The FDL is after all a fighter designed by a company that makes space vans. Not space trucks, space vans. (Not a slur on space vans, I love the Adder as a little ship, but the heritage shows in the FDL)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think once you can afford a vulture you've played the game long enough to know what you're doing and have enough money to be able to experiment with the different ships, so ya, no mention of FDL.

Also since it was newbie recommendation chat, the DBS? (the smaller one) is a really fun and good combat ship, definitely add it to the list of ships to check out if you're doing combat regularly. It's the maneuverability of an eagle with the firepower and defenses of a viper, with a pretty good jump range to boot.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
So how's the patch?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

double riveting posted:

So how's the patch?

No commodities for engineering is pretty dope.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

The viper mk 4 is a trash can and is superceded by every ship in its price point, there is no reason to ever own one. It multi roles worse than the Cobra (both versions) and is worse than the viper mk3 and Cobra mk3 for combat.

The ASP is actually a really good combat ship, 6 hard points all on center mass gives it a huge amount of firepower until you can afford a vulture. It's a little less maneuverable than a cobra and has relatively weak shields for its size but they don't detract from its ability to destroy things as long as you're aware of its limitations (e.g. don't get in a fight with multiple ships and no backup) it's a fantastic multi role ship.

My c-rank Cobra IV could fly circles around an ASPx, they are poo poo in combat. Outside of surface mission i found the Asp painful to endure. And I liked flying my Type-7 so take that for what you will. I will admit they have good firepower if you can bring it to bear, but they are fat, slow n a turn, and fragile.

Trustworthy posted:

Yes. The FDL is crazy expensive for someone looking at a Viper iii, but it IS a sexy beast.

Mr. Crow posted:

I think once you can afford a vulture you've played the game long enough to know what you're doing and have enough money to be able to experiment with the different ships, so ya, no mention of FDL.

Also since it was newbie recommendation chat, the DBS? (the smaller one) is a really fun and good combat ship, definitely add it to the list of ships to check out if you're doing combat regularly. It's the maneuverability of an eagle with the firepower and defenses of a viper, with a pretty good jump range to boot.

Oh this is a good point, I have never flown the Diamondbacks but I have never heard a bad thing about the scout's combat abilities. I almost never see NPCs with them so I couldn't compare.

Plek fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 11, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Diamondback Scout is Life :lovewcc:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Trustworthy posted:

FDL doesn't need any buffs

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The asp is as maneuverable as an eagle and has the firepower of an fdl. It's a no brainer that it's the best ship in the game.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I really liked my Asp and used it for a long time until I got a Python.
Currently in an Anaconda with a 40 LY jump range and out and exploring. 800 some odd LY from Harm and finding a lot of undiscovered planets and stars.

Edit: UX Draconis was not as exciting as I had hoped. Looked like any other red star. I did get about a million credits for my 3 hour round trip and discovered a number of new stars and planets.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 11, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

LostCosmonaut posted:

No commodities for engineering is pretty dope.

:yeah:

also efficient beams :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Turmoil posted:

I really liked my Asp and used it for a long time until I got a Python.
Currently in an Anaconda with a 40 LY jump range and out and exploring. 800 some odd LY from Harm and finding a lot of undiscovered planets and stars.

Edit: UX Draconis was not as exciting as I had hoped. Looked like any other red star. I did get about a million credits for my 3 hour round trip and discovered a number of new stars and planets.

Betelgeuse is my favourite star to visit for sense of scale. It's ridiculously enormous and there's a landable planet in system that you can see the star in the backdrop above the landscape from.

• Locked thread