Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Phlegmish posted:

The difference is not all Americans are creationists

I forgot that diversity of beliefs is a uniquely American trait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

The US, for all its faults, at least nominally pays lip service to and guarantees freedom of opinion.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

nice to see it's still going, spent a lot of time there back in 2005

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
The truth is that Mao have brought the calamitous century of foreign domination in China to its end and saved the whole nation from the perpetual chaos. This simply outweighs all administration failures hereafter.
This is already the consensus among all the reasonable and unbiased Chinese.
They know what are the facts and not brainwashed!
All discourses challenging this are basically malice.
For those white worshippers who keep whining that many many people died, please consider 1. The percentage of male killed in the civil war of US. and 2. Thanksgiving thanks Whom? Actually it is completely hilarious

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

LentThem posted:

The truth is that Mao have brought the calamitous century of foreign domination in China to its end and saved the whole nation from the perpetual chaos. This simply outweighs all administration failures hereafter.
This is already the consensus among all the reasonable and unbiased Chinese.
They know what are the facts and not brainwashed!
All discourses challenging this are basically malice.
For those white worshippers who keep whining that many many people died, please consider 1. The percentage of male killed in the civil war of US. and 2. Thanksgiving thanks Whom? Actually it is completely hilarious

Is this a real quote? There's no way to tell.

Bringing up the American Civil War is bizarre considering China had a civil war at the exact same time that killed twenty times more people.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

oohhboy posted:

This might be one of the few times shaving off metal might actually make the product better.

Yeah but it's the kind of metal you shave that matters, also quality of machines.

I suspect that the fractal subcontractor hierarchy of chinese manufacturing will bring this venture to its doom.

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 10, 2017

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I love how they always jump to criticizing the "Unnamed Country" when faced with criticism of their favorite hill billy lunatic's administrative gently caress ups.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

nickmeister posted:

I love how they always jump to criticizing the "Unnamed Country" when faced with criticism of their favorite hill billy lunatic's administrative gently caress ups.

It is a effective counter for the majority of (uneducated)uncritical readers though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Late to the party but if you're looking for a savory bean dish

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/04/175966697/a-simple-chinese-twist-on-young-soybeans

is so goddamned delicious.

It's just soybeans stir fried with ginger, peppers, and mustard greens.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

In light of the outline in the schmorky thread im gonna post NONGS

not really but god drat it, I posted earlier about starting to work for the chinese earlier in this thread and god drat it its all gone to poo poo due to us not being able to call the shanghai office directly to get some problems solved because that would be going over the head of our local chinese ceo and the hamburg office so we are hosed majorly and pretty much disappointing and losing our customers lol

I dont think this is really part of the face culture? But when working for the Taiwanese it really was not a problem to contact the Taipei office over the Rotterdam office if there were problems but here we are now.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

bamhand posted:

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/04/175966697/a-simple-chinese-twist-on-young-soybeans

never had this but I've never know any Chinese from around Shanghai

usually the only soybean dishes I've eaten have been just simply steamed, or fresh soymilk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I thought belief in TCM was very widespread in China. If not I duly apologize for my lack of cultural sensitivity

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

bamhand posted:

Yeah, edamame is some good poo poo; though I go more for some five-spice, mushroom soysauce and a touch of sesame oil with some good animal fat (duck is loving fantastic)

Good finger food

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phlegmish posted:

I thought belief in TCM was very widespread in China. If not I duly apologize for my lack of cultural sensitivity

Your thought is correct. It is everywhere and taught in school and stuff. Anecdotally I have never met a Chinese or Korean person who didn't believe wholeheartedly in TCM. It also exists in other Asian countries but I don't have enough experience in any others to say.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Drunk & Ugly posted:

well on the one hand thats ok but what happens if i actually slip because im a goofus and your mongoloid boyfriend tries to get into a fight with me just to prove he's real cool and to get laid later and i stab him

ps i dont like big boobs youre safe

Don't worry about it, then! Gosh. Relax yr butthole.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

My boss is an elderly Thai woman and she was sick the last couple days. All she did was drink really hot water to try to cure herself. I mean, hydrating is always a good idea, but I kept laughing that that was her "cure".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I like drinking hot water now :ohdear: our office is so cold!

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Don't worry about it, then! Gosh. Relax yr butthole.

Well, having to stab some fool is a big thing for some of us, sheesh.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Why drink unflavored water hot

Like... Why not tea?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Like... Why not tea?

I've been asking this for six goddamn years.

If you're going to insist on only drinking hot water put some drat leaves in it. Tea is good.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Like... Why not tea?

My boss drinks tons of tea, but not when she is sick. :confused:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Don't loving no why me guys I want a real answer

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Glenn Quebec posted:

Don't loving no why me guys I want a real answer

A real answer or the real TCM answer?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
this story from reddit :smith:

quote:

Non profit I was working with got together about USD50k worth of musical equipment to give to schools in rural China that we would then give lessons to. Took loving ages of going from manufacturer to manufacturer asking for handouts (Yamaha is loving awesome, ended up giving us everything + a few bucks to pick up stuff they didn't make). Then the real bullshit started when local governments decided that now they actually saw the kit we got our hands on it shouldn't be going to the schools we wanted to put them in (low income areas does not begin to cover it). They wanted the programme to go to the top schools in the province which already had plenty of instruments and teachers. In the end we managed to get them to hold to our initial agreement and we got the instruments to the schools we wanted them in. Bullshit did not end there...

So after a couple of months of the programme working in the area the police show up during a lesson and pull everyone outside into the lovely Ningxia winter. They start going through all the teachers' papers. Luckily our supervisor had a bunch of experience with getting Chinared so we were loving solid, correct visas work permits everything (not hard when you hand out 50k worth of equipment like candy and are fairly anti-religious). So no reason given, but the lessons for the day had to be canceled, our bus driver got shooed off (we had to bus most of our kids in from the local area) so we were stuck outside a school in the middle of rural Ningxia (-20C) with about 40 kids and 5 teachers. 2 hours later and about rmb2k worth of taxis and all the kids are home and the teachers are back at the hotel. We insisted on maintaining western levels of duty of care meaning that we couldn't let kids go in taxis on their own and we needed at least 1 adult per 8 kids. Needles to say our local assistants hosed right off home as soon as they could. That was the only time I was with the program that our duty of care fell below our own standards but hey...

We talked it over with the head of education for the province and smoothed it all out (genuinely nice guy, no clue about education though).He said it was just a mistake. So about 2 weeks later we go back to the school we had the problem in and all of our kit is gone (just shy of USD5K) We ring the head and he said that "our helpers" came and took all the stuff just after we left, he didn't know where too and was smart enough not to press the issue with the "helpers". We follow up as much as we can on the kit but get basically nowhere so we start figuring out the best way of at least keeping that schools kids in the programme (bus them to another of our schools about an hour away). So a while later one of the schools contacts us asking if we can do a one off with them as they recently got in some new equipment (they didn't know how to use it went unsaid). We agree because gently caress it, we knew the rich schools had lovely teachers and the kids could use the help. When we show up its all our old equipment just loving trashed (we catalogue it all obvs and the serials were still on most bits). Barely any of it worked anymore and it was all covered in cigarette ash and burns. Luckily we still had a day before we actually were going to start classes so we fixed what we could and put away the broken stuff. The camp went of without a hitch, only person from the school we saw was the super who let us in and started up the heaters and he knew (or would say) nothing about our stuff. We asked if the kids knew anything and they said they had never seen the stuff before.

tl;dr: Talked Yamaha (awesome company by the way) into donating a poo poo tonne of awesome music stuff for poorer schools in China. Some local government shitstain sees the awesomes and decides he wants it "for his school". We say no. SOMEONE sends cops in shitstain's area to gently caress with us while we are working and take the awesome poo poo we gave to povstruck school rather than yuppie school. Kit shows up a little while later absolutely trashed in one of the richest schools in the province and it's clear that 0 kids have had a go on any of it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

The bandoleers are not bad by themselves, but what hosed them up was the Chinese were still using Matchlocks with loose powder, something that had been obsolete for at least 150 years in Europe. Because of the match if they fell over for any reason the power would spill and woosh! It was bad enough even the British complained about all the burning men.

Only 30% of the Chinese had fire type weapons like matchlocks, cannons and bombs. Fire arrows if you want to count them. The rest had spears, rusty swords, horses and bows. They were using cannons from the Ming dynasty and most of them had little ability to change aim.

The British had percussion rifles which had 3x the maximum range. Standardised sighted cannons on pivots that fired explosives. The first iron steam ship that had water tight bulkheads which could sail up rivers. All used by the best trained and battle hardened force at the time.

Depending on how you count it the K:D was something like 289:1 at the top end or 54:1 on the low during the first opium war. It really was spear men verses guns civilisation style, crazy poo poo.

What's crazy is that the British would march up to a town/village/city/battlefield and everyone would be dead, and they would be totally confused as to what happened. The actual fighting between the British and the Chinese was more or less a sideshow to the infighting going on in China. Warlords would see that the imperial army was in disarray during this time and would swoop in and wreck their own people's poo poo to make some short-term gains. Also the numerous representatives of the emperor pretending they had the power to mediate and the British getting pissed that nothing was happening, and moving on to the next garrison to destroy. It was basically the Chinese lining up to get curb-stomped over and over, and the guy next in line would tell the person behind him that they were winning.

Also, like you said, the "Nemesis" was a quantum leap in ship design. Since it had a paddle-wheel drive it could steam up rivers and had two pivot-mounted 32-pounder and four 6-pounder guns, and a rocket launcher. She was almost literally invulnerable to the Chinese ships and land batteries since she had guns that far out-ranged her opponents, and a hull that could repel any fire from ships fast enough to close the range.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

‘Is this what the west is really like?’ How it felt to leave China for Britain

quote:

When I told my parents the news, they were rather surprised, but both thought it sounded like a great opportunity. “Your father says he is very proud of you!” my mother said. “All your years of studying now make sense.” Then she added: “You said the scholarship is from England. Do you mean Great Britain?”

“Yes. Great Britain,” I confirmed.

“That’s great. Greater than United States, right?” my mother said, drawing her conclusions from her Maoist education of the 1960s. But I knew that she had no idea about either Britain or America. The only thing she knew about those countries was that they were in the west. “You should take a rice cooker with you. I heard that westerners don’t use rice cookers.”

quote:

“I will be walking under a gentle and moist English sky soon,” I said to myself. “It nurtures rather than hinders its inhabitants. I will breathe in the purest Atlantic sea air and live on an island called Britain.”

quote:

The only place with an open door was a brightly lit pub called the Old Swan, where I used to spend my afternoons. I liked English pubs because they had a particular smell that reminded me of my mother’s silk factory in Wenling, with its heavy scent of steam, stale air, human sweat and scorched protein.

I’d go in just after the Old Swan opened and read and write. “A cup of hot water without a tea bag please,” I would say. The woman behind the counter began to take this as a sort of weird insult, knowing that I would be sitting in the corner for hours. I learned that I needed to be a good customer, so I began adding: “I will order a plate of roast beef once your suppertime starts.” She winked at me, as if I was some alien monkey.

After a few visits with my books and laptop, everyone started calling me Lucy. “So how are your parents in Hong Kong?” they would ask. “Do they want to visit England again?” I was so confused. I wasn’t from Hong Kong, and nor were my parents, even though I secretly wished they were. Then I heard that there had been a girl from Hong Kong who lived there two or three years earlier and also studied at the film school. Apparently she had the same long, black hair as mine. They were so sure that I was Lucy from Hong Kong that I didn’t want to correct them. And I began living the part in order to fit in, making up stories of my former life back in Hong Kong, absorbing bits of information they revealed to me.

“I haven’t seen you in a long time, Lucy,” one of the barmaids said. “I thought you went back to Hong Kong! How’s your family, love?”

“Oh … they are very well, thanks,” I answered vaguely.

“I remember your dad visited you a while back, and he was very fond of our lager. Is he still working for HSBC? Or did he retire?”

“Yes, he just retired.” I guessed that was a plausible answer to her question. She smiled warmly and offered me another free cup of hot water.

quote:

The fundamental problem with English for me was that there is no direct connection between words and meanings. In Chinese, most characters are drawn and composed from images. Calligraphy is one of the foundations of the written language. When you write the Chinese for sun, it is 太阳 or 日, which means “an extreme manifestation of Yang energy”. Yang signifies things with strong, bright and hot energy. So “extreme yang” can only mean the sun. But in English, sun is written with three letters, s, u and n, and none of them suggests any greater or deeper meaning. Nor does the word look anything like the sun! Visual imagination and philosophical understandings were useless when it came to European languages.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Is that lady tarded?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Another curious realisation came when I discovered that I used the first-person plural too much in my everyday speech. In the west, if I said “We like to eat rice”, it would confuse people. They couldn’t understand who this “we” was referring to. Instead, I should have said “We Chinese like to eat rice”. After a few weeks, I swapped to the first-person singular, as in “I like to eat rice”. But it made me uncomfortable. After all, how could someone who had grown up in a collective society get used to using the first-person singular all the time? The habitual use of “I” requires thinking of yourself as a separate entity in a society of separate entities. But in China no one is a separate entity: either you were born to a non-political peasant household or to a Communist party household. But here, in this foreign country, I had to build a world as a first-person singular – urgently."

So she's that Borg data and geordi taught to say "I" instead of "we" and it totally hosed up their society?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ayn rand was right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
*assumes everyone is chinese*

we like to eat rice yes

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
noodles are better rice is okay though

too bad noodles didnt take off as hard as rice huh boy that'd be something...

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

to be fair a lot of cultures consume rice and it's pretty well liked. It's a staple food. The weird thing is it's not really something to brag about.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

日 does not actually look like the sun. Being round is like the main thing the sun does besides being bright.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Mr. Unlucky posted:

noodles are better rice is okay though

no you're wrong but it's ok

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

P-Mack posted:

日 does not actually look like the sun. Being round is like the main thing the sun does besides being bright.

日 looks like a cupboard or a polygon rear end.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

JaucheCharly posted:

日 looks like a cupboard or a polygon rear end.

Polygon rear end is a good combination of words. Thank you. The pointy butts of Final Fantasy also thank you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mods please change my name to "Extreme Yang".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

P-Mack posted:

The original pictogram was originally a circle with a dot or line in it fwiw. Eventually the circle became square and the dot became a line that went the whole way across. There's a separate radical/character that's a square that means mouth.

Source: http://www.ancientscripts.com/chinese.html

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

Is that lady tarded?

"Oh my god, the West isn't a perfect paradise they have flaws too, Communist was right!"

Bit of a simplification but holy gently caress who would leave their native country after 30 years for a foreign land without even having a basic grasp of the new language they were about to be immersed in? 30 year old unmarried Chinese woman wanting to be a film director? Yeah, that makes sense because her future in China sure as poo poo isn't going to be pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The original pictogram was originally a circle with a dot or line in it fwiw. Eventually the circle became square and the dot became a line that went the whole way across. There's a separate radical/character that's a square that means mouth.

Source: http://www.ancientscripts.com/chinese.html
Yeah, I know that and think it's cool, but the person in the article is looking at 日 and seeing 🌞 the same way I see "sun" and think 🌞, because that's what we were taught.

Nowadays Chinese really isn't pictorial outside of like, 龜.

Like I sort of get what she was saying but I think its not quite as different or unique as she thinks it is. You get into like Latin roots and stuff in English where words are assembled from the meaning of smaller components.

I dunno, not really a linguistics guy.

• Locked thread