Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

straw man posted:

This evening I realized that there are really only two things that frustrate me about losing in this game. One is selecting a landing site with granite and (other stone), and the other is pressing "Randomize" two hundred times until I get three healthy, skilled, complimentary colonists. I'm not big on modding but I've decided to start using Prepare Carefully to speed up re-starts.

Is there a mod that will quickly pick a site with the growing season, mountains, biome and stone types that I prefer?

There should be a way to search the map for parameters but I don't know of a mod for it. Prepare carefully + editing your scenario can alleviate some of the headache. You can just scatter your crash site with a bunch of granite and marble. For my third fort I made my own scenario and built my people to it. Instead of crash landing and trying to survive with limited resources until they can escape on a ship they're spoiled bored hipster settlers from a glitterworld trying to settle the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

No preparations we play Crashlanding Hard like men. So actually I do prepare carefully, but I can count on at least one of my three people dying on landing, and I'll probably pick up one or two survivors from other cryptopods that hit, but they could be useless sacks of poo poo.

This becomes improbably difficult when you're also running the mod that ups plant density because the fires from crashing ships will eat massive parts of the map in no time. You gotta pray for a ruined, stone building, or you're going to be huddling against rock walls two tiles from the flames.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

So I downloaded a mod to give me little robots with really basic skillsets. One is dedicated pretty much full time to rolling blunts.

I'm in love with this addon, it's great for a "Rich Explorer" scenario considering of course there would be robot servents in the future. Currently my explorers are starting up a smokeleaf farm/human furniture and meat business!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a way to change the default medicine settings for prisoners and colonists? I don't want my doctors using herbal medicine on prisoners dammit, it's for crafting real medical kits :mad:

Edit: Also holy drat Penoxycyline is a hell of a drug, I accidentally left one of my colonists on no medicine after a rabbit scratched them. They caught the plague so I had them take some of the stuff, knocking immunity up to 60%. She managed to become immune at 83% without any medicine at all :stare:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 10, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I will remember that, the description makes it sound like it's preventative only so it never occurred to me to try to take it after infection.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Boy this game sure is fun until some asshat with grenades shows up and you're guaranteed to lost at least a couple of colonists as he blows up everything around himself. What a dumb weapon.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Spanish Matlock posted:

Boy this game sure is fun until some asshat with grenades shows up and you're guaranteed to lost at least a couple of colonists as he blows up everything around himself. What a dumb weapon.

Grenades are a argument for weapons with ammo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Spanish Matlock posted:

Spread out your defenders or you will always know pain. Be glad it was just a grenade. Clustered defenders against a centipede and their fire launcher thing is a lesson learned in blood and destruction.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Melee counters grenades pretty well (like it does any form of ranged) if you have or can build broken terrain, so you can get up on dudes before they have a chance to throw them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Grenades are no problem if you can micro the thrower. Once you're in melee range, they can't throw, and when they are throwing you can just route around the grenade vector.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Decided to build a ship and leave my home base just to see what happens, what a cool credit song. It's nice you can continue after the ship launches, that's a nice feature (bug?).

Cannibalized almost everything important (took out 3 of the 4 main ship reactors (modded to work underground) powering the vault, I even started stripping power conduit out of the walls for steel towards the end but I got enough to build 2 engines, the AI, and enough ship pods for 10 people. Two guys remained, partially because one went crazy again (even with psychology sometimes they go bonkers if you don't treat them in time, fuckin nutcases) so he and a handler got left behind, also because I only had 10 pods for 12 people.

The last humans are in stasis now and the robots rule the land.

I'm really tempted to see if I can keep this going for a while, the base is secure and there are still lots of resources around with effort (deep miners). I'll have to switch the gardens over to exclusively haygrass production to help keep the muffalo herd alive and happy. Maybe I'll get the minerbots and constructor bots to rebuild the hydroponics lab and see if I can get a survival bunker set up with nutrient paste in case I ever have to wake up the cryptodreamers. Though there is plenty of food in the freezer, and so long as the robots can get enough steel to keep making components and repairing broken equipment (and themselves...) then everything will be fine. Until it isn't.

This game is incredibly fun :allears:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Lost my first game outright for the first time ever after blight killed my first round of crops, followed by a cold snap killing my second, followed by raider activity, solar flares and another cold snap killing my indoor crops repeatedly followed by everyone going crazy and berserk due to the resulting cannibalism and finally the survivors dying of frostbite related inefections after all the doctors were killed in the resulting tantrum spiral. Was very sad because this was my first actually planned layout fort. Rip.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Flesh Forge posted:

I started that colony with 1000 wood, 12 herbal medicine and 40 food (plus a little salt) and I just barely got the quarry up in time to survive the winter, I had to burn some of the wood to avoid freezing. There was enough wood left over to finish a couple of wood-only constructions I needed (medieval tailor and smelter, so I can recover a minuscule amount of wood from invader weapons and can make some better cold-weather gear) and then it got too cold to fish safely so I had to leave the fishing piers forbidden for most of the winter. No one came to trade and we had to be pragmatic about injuries, so nobody got any medicine for random injuries and minor frostbite. Plague hit during the worst of the winter and we were grateful for that tiny hoard of herbal medicine. It was -130C outside and even indoors it was touch and go, hovering around -65C most of the time.

We made it though the winter without tasting the Long Pig except once, which was totally an accident ('consume' is right under 'haul' oops) :black101: And now it is late spring, the indoor temperature has crept above freezing and the cave shrooms are starting to sprout.

Sounds fuckin idyllic mate

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Praise pathing jesus

Path Avoid Area Tool

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835555932

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well drat here's a mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836308268

Adds a hygiene need and bladder need to colonists.

Injured pawns that are bedridden are currently unwashable and soil themselves, updating soon with extra jobs to handle this

:stare:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This is not so great when fighting a fire. Just lost part of a warehouse because every single pawn involved in fighting the fire decided to take bathroom breaks, allowing an otherwise controlled fire to rage out of control.

Imagining a real world situation where firefighters are all struck with inconvenient incontinence and have to visit neighboring houses to use the bathroom in their suits and all is RimWorld as hell.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
There's always some weirdo who wants to add bodily functions to these sorts of games.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, I've been playing around with infestations a bit. Neat trick:

If you fill every square inch of your base that is beneath heavy rock with rubble, no infestations will spawn, and because your pawns are never climbing up and down, they will not suffer a speed penalty --- they just move atop the rubble.

Sun lamps and temperatures below 0 degrees F also do effectively block spawns. (You can test all this with dev mode by spawning infestations).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any tips for the single wealthy explorer start?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Lost my first game outright for the first time ever after blight killed my first round of crops, followed by a cold snap killing my second, followed by raider activity, solar flares and another cold snap killing my indoor crops repeatedly followed by everyone going crazy and berserk due to the resulting cannibalism and finally the survivors dying of frostbite related inefections after all the doctors were killed in the resulting tantrum spiral. Was very sad because this was my first actually planned layout fort. Rip.

Accurate colonization simulator.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Now that there's overworld travel I'd love to see vehicles. Wagons could increase the carrying capacity of animals, cars could run 24/7 with a chemfuel cost, solar charged cars could run slower and only during the day for free. Would be pretty easy to program if they don't do anything on the game map but you can bring it on trips to change the parameters. As a bonus postgame thing the ship could fly super fast over the world, allowing for player prompted orbital trade and assaults. Could even have an easier to build shuttle that will zip over obstacles.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Now that there's overworld travel I'd love to see vehicles. Wagons could increase the carrying capacity of animals, cars could run 24/7 with a chemfuel cost, solar charged cars could run slower and only during the day for free. Would be pretty easy to program if they don't do anything on the game map but you can bring it on trips to change the parameters. As a bonus postgame thing the ship could fly super fast over the world, allowing for player prompted orbital trade and assaults. Could even have an easier to build shuttle that will zip over obstacles.

On a similar note, it would be cool to be able to trade with outlander settlements via transport pod. Contact them on the comms, load up the goods, and once the pods are fired off your purchases are launched at you. Maybe even have more options, like emergency requests for items that you and the outlanders could make in return for goodwill. Would probably need a fair bit of balancing, with say more expensive prices to cover the cost of the pods, but I think it would be a nice addition.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Carcer posted:

There's always some weirdo who wants to add bodily functions to these sorts of games.

But my IMMUHRRRSIOOOON!!!

Started Smokeleaf Production on my colony and set my restrictions to Every 2 days, below 49% mood and 49% joy, carry 1

Any risk of addiction?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Carcer posted:

The mod is actually pretty well done, though it needs some work around the edges as mentioned. I mean, if you want yet more infrastructure to worry about.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Do toilets require components and can they break down?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Started Smokeleaf Production on my colony and set my restrictions to Every 2 days

loving shameful

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Smokeleaf everyday

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flesh Forge posted:

Well drat here's a mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836308268

Adds a hygiene need and bladder need to colonists.

Injured pawns that are bedridden are currently unwashable and soil themselves, updating soon with extra jobs to handle this

:stare:

Also http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=838508097&tscn=1484076568 which has none of these problems

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

But my IMMUHRRRSIOOOON!!!

Started Smokeleaf Production on my colony and set my restrictions to Every 2 days, below 49% mood and 49% joy, carry 1

Any risk of addiction?

Yes, 1% per use I believe, it says the addictiveness in the drug information panel.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Is there a good dramatic reason the RimWorld reddit is set to private now?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is smokeleaf addiction bad? Can't they just smoke a joint every day or two to be cool with it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Is smokeleaf addiction bad? Can't they just smoke a joint every day or two to be cool with it?

I'm sure it runs off video game addiction, IE you want your fix so much you literally cannot go a minute without going into a debilitating withdrawal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I think it probably gives you cancer as well as addiction and addiction means you need to keep taking it and getting more cancer.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Elendil004 posted:

Pretty sure you get a new "smokeleaf" bar of needs and go into withdrawal if it empties. You can just smoke weed every day and the problem is you lose productivity by smoking weed every day and need a constant supply or you go into withdrawal.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I like this game but it's really missing the "why" and "how" part of events. Why did I get malaria? Why did I get the plague? How did this tribe know I was here? Why do they hate me? Why did my conduit short? The events as they are should be a effect of a cause, not the cause and the effect. There could be roaming swarms of mosquitos in certain climates that "attack" for for a base chance to catch diseases. Rats could carry diseases and be drawn to heated buildings and unsecured food storage. Tribes could have a set of likes and dislikes that you can find out in order to stay on their good side. Factions could send a scouting party then either an envoy or a raiding party to make contact with you. Right now it's a sandbox that rolls dice every x minutes multiply by difficulty.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It would be nice if the game modeled some of those things a little better (particularly how and why diseases occur) but yes, basically poo poo happens :shrug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Elendil004 posted:

the way all addictions work:

you get a new need bar for the addiction in question. if you continue to keep up the habit, nothing bad will happen. the high effects will continue to do the same thing as ever. if your need bottoms out, withdrawal sets in.

individual addictions have different effects, and i don't know what smokeleaf's is because quite frankly i've never seen it. it has an addictiveness rating at 1% (for comparison, most hard drugs have 10%, and flake has 20%), and last i checked the addictiveness calculations, one joint every 3 days carries zero possibility of addiction.

basically there's no reason to not have a small stash of space weed around. if someone's starting to crack, letting them go smoke a fattie carries absolutely no downside aside from someone moving slower for a little bit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shadowlz posted:

I like this game but it's really missing the "why" and "how" part of events. Why did I get malaria? Why did I get the plague? How did this tribe know I was here? Why do they hate me? Why did my conduit short? The events as they are should be a effect of a cause, not the cause and the effect. There could be roaming swarms of mosquitos in certain climates that "attack" for for a base chance to catch diseases. Rats could carry diseases and be drawn to heated buildings and unsecured food storage. Tribes could have a set of likes and dislikes that you can find out in order to stay on their good side. Factions could send a scouting party then either an envoy or a raiding party to make contact with you. Right now it's a sandbox that rolls dice every x minutes multiply by difficulty.

Yeah the storytellers are poo poo. Stories aren't randomly generated. They have purpose and thought behind them. The storyteller you choose just determines how the dartboard they use to hit you with events is laid out.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
With Randy being the most fair, since he isn't standing behind every raid with a clipboard writing down "Send more bodies next time" for next months raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Lunethex posted:

Is there a good dramatic reason the RimWorld reddit is set to private now?

The Auto-Mod went rogue and shut it down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯