Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
If you want to go for Bluetooth definitely go for the best sena set you feel you can afford. There should be a Sena vs Scala review in my post history.

Edit:
Here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393894&pagenumber=460&perpage=40#post463065267

Supradog fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Unless I can find a crazy deal on a used one on ADVRider, BT is probably out of the question. My budget is probably no more than about $75. Any other fun money for motorbikes is being set aside for new boots and tires right now. Maybe I'll buy a couple corded ones or some decent on-ear headphones and hack them up.

I just picked up a new Scorpion EXO AT950 helmet.

First impressions:
Overall fit with a medium is very comfortable on me. My head is wide about the ears, so I have a hard time finding sunglasses that fit well. My hat sizes are usually pretty large. So I'd say sizing runs large on this helmet. My old helmet is a Seven Zero Seven, so things like noise, weight, venting, etc are all very relative.

Aerodynamics: I've had it out for one ride, topping out at about 60 mph, with the peak on. It's a little buffety, but not terrible. It's a long helmet, though, so when you turn your head at speed, it will try to unscrew it.

Vision: Excellent side and low front peripheral. The visor seems to be optically correct. The internal sun visor is a little distracting. It doesn't swivel down quite far enough, so you can see an inch or so of space below it. The bottom edge is constantly in my vision and it might not be great if the pavement is wet and it's sunny. We'll see how I adjust to that. Might just get a tinted visor. The internal sun visor is not optically correct, but it's not terrible. Kind of irritating but not enough to return it.

Vents: Excellent. One of my first complaints was that the lowest setting on the visor is too high to just crack it and keep the fog down. However, the chin vent feels like a blower when it's open, so that's probably not gonna be an issue. I'd worry more about chapped lips. The top vent seems good, too, but I kept it closed because it was cold out.

Noise: Overall volume isn't bad, but there are some odd whistles and whines from different sources depending on your head position.

Construction: Seems solid. The whole face shield locks into place with metal latches and is pretty heavy and satisfying to work. I'm unfamiliar with modular helmets in general, though, so I don't know how it stacks up to Schuberth, AGV, and the others.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now seems like as good a time as any to ask: what is the point of peaks on helmets? Especially MX helmets where you're wearing goggles anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You mean the little thing above the visor/opening? It's a sunshade.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Now seems like as good a time as any to ask: what is the point of peaks on helmets? Especially MX helmets where you're wearing goggles anyway.

For MX helmets they're roost guards. You put your head down and you don't get roosted in the goggles and can still sort of see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

For MX helmets they're roost guards. You put your head down and you don't get roosted in the goggles and can still sort of see.

:aaa: I see.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Renaissance Robot posted:

UK Sportsbikeshop are currently offering £100 off the exact colour of Shoei Neotec I want (and only that colour), and I still don't have the money to buy it outright :negative:

Gonna try taking advantage of getgeared's price match, since they have finance options that don't suck.

I have this helmet in this color scheme. I like it. It took forever to break in the cheek pads so as not to irritate my ears, but once that was done it's solid.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

I think on adv helmets, it's just for looks for the most part. This one is probably not positioned well enough to keep the sun or roost off.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

On my Schuberth E1 it's a decent sun shade. I can't drive with it on the lowest position because I feel it blocks too much of my vision.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think on adv helmets, it's just for looks for the most part.

The peak on the XD3/XD4 works very well as a sun shade. Riding into the sun where sunglasses or a tinted visor would still leave you squinting, the peak just blocks it provided the angles are right.

It also works really well as a sail when you turn your head for lane checks. Need to crack your neck? No problem, just check to see if that minivan is still trying to hide in your blind spot.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Looking for a boot suggestion:

I have hilariously large feet (size US 18), which no one makes proper motorcycle boots for. For the past two years I've worn a pair of Reebok steel toe work boots with a mid height ankle. I know these arnt the best, especially for ankle protection, not to mention the steel toe makes shifting feel numb. Any thoughts on a better alternative? I worry about my ankles if I go down.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

pokie posted:

I have this helmet in this color scheme. I like it. It took forever to break in the cheek pads so as not to irritate my ears, but once that was done it's solid.

Helmet arrived early and fuuuuck it's so pretty! Pictures don't do it justice, the gloss is so deep.

Five minute sofa wear trip report: it's so quiet inside I'm getting tinnitus just wearing it. I can't wear it out for a while yet, I'm away all weekend and the rest of next week looks like crap weather :(

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 6, 2017

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This reminds me that I need to review the custom ear plugs I got. http://www.earplugstore.com/westone-motorcycle-4rt.html
I went to an ear doctor, where they took a mold of my ear holes. Overall costs was about $230. The plugs took about 2.5 weeks to be made.
They are much quieter than my regular plugs. I normally wore and used these two:
https://www.amazon.com/Ear-Buddy-Premium-Plugs-Decibels/dp/B00PSX6ZV2/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1483812115&sr=1-14&keywords=ear+plugs
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...words=ear+plugs

I could barely hear a fire truck's sirens from 2 blocks away which is a bit of a concern. There is still some noise on the highway, but overall the sound protection is superb. The problem is that they are much less comfortable, being solid plastic. You really need to push them in deep so that when you turn your head they don't brush against the helmet and cause pain. If you don't use them for a while, ears are very unhappy about hosting them. Ultimately I find them worthwhile for long trips, but definitely overpriced.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Should my RF-1200 have come with the pinlock insert? I bought it a while ago but didn't read the manual until today, and I noticed it talks about it coming with a pinlock insert. I may have just misplaced it when I got it, but i don't think it did.

I always have my gold tinted visor on anyway, but I need to find some solution for fogging.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yes. There should have been a pinlock in the box.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

MomJeans420 posted:

Should my RF-1200 have come with the pinlock insert? I bought it a while ago but didn't read the manual until today, and I noticed it talks about it coming with a pinlock insert. I may have just misplaced it when I got it, but i don't think it did.

I always have my gold tinted visor on anyway, but I need to find some solution for fogging.

Did you buy from Cycle Gear by any chance?

The girl on the floor who grabbed the right size/color for me tried to sell me the insert separate. It was summer, so I said I'd wait (not knowing better).

Then the guy behind the counter who rang it up unboxed for me and seemed surprised that there wasn't one and said someone must have poached it. He grabbed a freebie off the shelf for me & I went on my way. So in conclusion... gently caress if I know. But the people at Cycle Gear might remove them from the box often enough that it's common for them to sell them without?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did buy from Cycle Gear, good guess! It was long enough ago though that I'm probably screwed. I'll check my closet again, maybe it fell out somewhere. The fact that I can't breathe through my nose really helps gently caress up my visor, even with the breath guard installed (which also makes it slightly uncomfortable on my nose). I haven't heard great things about coatings, so I guess I'll have to spend the money on a pinlock lens. I've just been riding with the visor up when it fogs, but freeways speeds in the rain kind of sucked with it open.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's cycle gear, so that exact store still has your purchase info. They never purge it. It's also cycle gear, so they might just help you anyway. Your Cycle Gear May Vary.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Man, do I got some bad news for you: those Olympia suits look just as frumpy. You haven't looked cool in years. [...] you are going to look like a 55 year old dad, just learn to accept it.

noooooo

builds character posted:

They last forever and are indestructible. Check out advrider for used klim and aerostich stuff. Maybe pick up some kind of tool carrier while you're at it...

All the ADVrider people seem to be at least 3 sizes larger than myself, but I keep checking anyways. Find me a cool looking tool carrier that is long enough to hold tire irons and I'll certainly consider it.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions from everyone. It really helped me get a better grasp on my gear search. Now that I know my sizes, I'll keep an eye out for the other options. I did just order the Slate/orange ICON DKR jacket/pants, because I kept gravitating back to that suit throughout my entire search. If it doesn't work out, I'll be looking for 'stitch and olympia, next. No way was the klim overland going to stay clean enough in my use.

I wish the DKR pants had vents, so i could use them in the summer instead of my mesh. Rain protection is important...

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Tell me how the icon stuff works out. That jacket has been on my list for a while.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

It's cycle gear, so that exact store still has your purchase info. They never purge it. It's also cycle gear, so they might just help you anyway. Your Cycle Gear May Vary.

noooooo

All the ADVrider people seem to be at least 3 sizes larger than myself, but I keep checking anyways. Find me a cool looking tool carrier that is long enough to hold tire irons and I'll certainly consider it.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions from everyone. It really helped me get a better grasp on my gear search. Now that I know my sizes, I'll keep an eye out for the other options. I did just order the Slate/orange ICON DKR jacket/pants, because I kept gravitating back to that suit throughout my entire search. If it doesn't work out, I'll be looking for 'stitch and olympia, next. No way was the klim overland going to stay clean enough in my use.

I wish the DKR pants had vents, so i could use them in the summer instead of my mesh. Rain protection is important...

Just plastidip it black. Please. For the children. And all of us. But most of all, for yourself.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I could have gotten a black one. I went way out of my way to hunt down an orange one. Plus, I really like the color orange. It looks good, but no tool tube looks better than any tool tube.

I'm gonna put KTM decals on it, just for you. :q:

Keket posted:

Tell me how the icon stuff works out. That jacket has been on my list for a while.

You know I will!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 11, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

All the ADVrider people seem to be at least 3 sizes larger than myself, but I keep checking anyways.

ADVRider is exclusively fat old angry white guys. I read everything on that site in Wilfred Brimley's voice and am better for it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

Same. I've almost bought it on revzilla half a dozen times, but I never pulled the trigger. I also haven't seen it at a dealer, so I've never gotten to look at it in person.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I picked up the DKR suit today, and am pretty blown away by how well designed it is, and the plethora of features. There is even a visor wipe on a tether in the chest pocket. :aaa:

I think I'm going to have to return it due to fitmet, though. :( Arms are the perfect length, and the chest is fine, but the torso length is so long that it chokes me out really badly when riding, and bunches up a ton in the front (sumo ergos too). I've had this problem with jackets before, and am not going to put up with it on a $700 suit.

Pant's are perfect length, but don't feel like they breath very well, and are incredibly baggy.

Size small on both, and exactly the size I should be wearing on both. Cycle Gear peeps were awesome and just told me to ride in it a ton before returning to see if it changed.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

ADVRider is exclusively fat old angry white guys. I read everything on that site in Wilfred Brimley's voice and am better for it.

That's hilarious.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am considering getting something like these headphones for long rides
https://www.amazon.com/UCLEAR-Digital-Definition-Speakers-Compatible/dp/B00RW10WBC/
For those of you with in helmet speakers, how are they at highway speeds for music/audio books? Can you still get clarity with ear plugs in?

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

pokie posted:

https://www.amazon.com/UCLEAR-Digital-Definition-Speakers-Compatible/dp/B00RW10WBC/
For those of you with in helmet speakers, how are they at highway speeds for music/audio books? Can you still get clarity with ear plugs in?

I actually get BETTER clarity with earplugs in for music. Specifically I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/DownBeats-Long-Stem-Protection-Percussion/dp/B00ODE0IDS
But sometimes use the squishy disposable ones as well.

I definitely have difficulty with books and podcasts though. Subtle and quite parts can be hard, though even with earbuds I sometimes have trouble. Maybe I just have a lovely helmet though!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was going to complain about my new Neotec actually being noisier than the old LS2, because I typically use triple flange earphones (plugs without music are so quiet they make my tinnitus worse :irony:) and the Shoei was so close fitting it was pushing them out of my ears and breaking the seal.

Then this morning I realised I'd forgotten to remove the foam inserts that fill the ear cavity when you don't have an intercom mounted :downsgun:

I haven't had a chance to try it out like this yet, but the space left with the inserts removed is cavernous; I'm sure it'll be fine.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

I get good enough clarity with ear plugs in. There's a lot of variables there though - I have the same setup in two different helmets (RF1100 and an XD3) and the sound is different between them because speakers are located differently in each.

The speakers you use, the amp in the device you're using to drive them, placement, helmet fit and noise levels, and the earplugs you're using can all make a big difference.

edit: words are hard

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2017

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I just ordered the headphones and will see how it goes. Worst case I can return them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pokie posted:

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I just ordered the headphones and will see how it goes. Worst case I can return them.

Please post a review when you get them. I'm looking to get a pair and have been considering those.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've been squiding it for too long and just wearing dickies and doc martins on the bike. I'd like to get some proper protection, but I'm torn as to what to get. I have an A* jacket, so I'm leaning towards A* pants so I can zip my jacket and pants together. I remember seeing someone in the A* textile overpants crash in them on here a long time ago and they didn't seem to hold up well at all, so I"m leaning towards A* leather pants. At that point, I may as well get one of the A* SMX pairs of boots, although there are apparently 4 million different versions of it. The only issue is if I'm going somewhere to hang out versus a ride in the canyons, I'll look like I just came in from the Isle of Man TT.

Option 2 would be some kind of kevlar jeans and a boot more like this.

I'm not super convinced of the protection of jeans and boots like that, so if I'm only going to buy one set of boots and pants right now I'm tempted to go all out and get leather pants and real boots, then just look boy racer at lunch with friends. Ideally I'd have the more casual clothes for shorter, closer rides, and the more extreme protection for longer / faster rides, but I don't want to drop that much cash right now. Do most people on here just end up with tons of different gear?

alr
May 14, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Do most people on here just end up with tons of different gear?

I have leather pants, waterproof pants, and moto jeans. I currently only have a leather jacket, but am planning on picking up a proper waterproof one to replace the waterproof zip up thing I throw over the leather that I use now. Two pairs of gloves and I want another pair, another pair of boots, and a better helmet for trackdays... yeah.

Fwiw, I use the jeans and some boots (these) for Uni knowing full well the leather is better protection. Don't skimp on boots, imo. I don't have any experience with them but I've heard nothing but good things about the SMX plus or these Dainese boots.

MomJeans420 posted:

I'll look like I just came in from the Isle of Man TT.

My dude this is unironically one of my fav things about motorcycling

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I have enough different gear I'm genuinely considering getting a rack or two like they have in the shops to hold it all, atm its filling a cupboard, a decent chunk of floor space and a friend has a full set that fits her for when she rides pillion at her house.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MomJeans420 posted:

I bet. I have been riding for only a year but have 3 jackets, 3 sets of pants, 4 sets of gloves, and 2 pairs of boots. It's an expensive hobby if you want to have the right gear for different weather conditions.

And, yes, I have a rack for it.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Can I get a recommendation for a colder weather riding suit? I have a rev'it leather jacket and BMW riding pans with stylemartin riding shoes, but the bay area is in the 40s right now and with the road wind I'm freezing my balls off. Looking at Revzilla there's only 4 riding suits on offer and none of them look that great and I don't think a racing suit is really the thing I should be looking at for warmth

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Pikey posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a colder weather riding suit? I have a rev'it leather jacket and BMW riding pans with stylemartin riding shoes, but the bay area is in the 40s right now and with the road wind I'm freezing my balls off. Looking at Revzilla there's only 4 riding suits on offer and none of them look that great and I don't think a racing suit is really the thing I should be looking at for warmth

I've taken a pair of the Rev'It Factor 3 pants out in ~25 degrees and they're fine with the thermal liner. I've also done about 400 miles in a day (sometimes in the rain) at about 50 degrees and they also worked just fine in that situation. They're pretty comfortable and all I need under them is some smartwool leggings and they seem to be fine in any temp. The waterproofing worked out nicely and nothing got through there either.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I've more like progressed in what I want in features. Generally it was driven by heat management and then rain. I only have one set of gear I use, but I've swapped parts of it plenty of times. Some stuff was bad quality and got worn out after 1-2 seasons.

Pikey posted:

If it's actually your balls that is cold I can't recommend a good fur rug or other sitting plate enough. You look silly, but it is so so warm and nice. Sheep is warm but gets wet pretty fast, reindeer or beaver does not soak water as much.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I still say you should replace the mirror stalks with antlers.

e/ if it wasn't clear I think your transalp is one of most aesthetically bitchin' bikes I've ever seen

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 17, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pikey posted:

There is no substitute for heated gear so try a heated jacket liner or vest and heated gloves (or grips if you don't think the heated glove protection is adequate). Alternatively, have you tried a layer of good long underwear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

alr posted:

My dude this is unironically one of my fav things about motorcycling

Well I bought the A* SMX plus vented boots, so I guess Isle of Man TT look it is. Figured I may as well go all out now, and have less protective gear later. Now I have the fun of finding A* leather pants that fit right, apparently they're meant for Italian men who skip leg day. Not that I'm great about leg day, but I think I'll have to get ones loose in the waist from what I can see on the comments. I guess if it zips to your jacket it doesn't matter as much (until you take your jacket off and walk around).