Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Having a culture where ambitious people climb socially based on their ability to fracture organizations they are members of is not conducive to ever accomplishing anything.

What are the benefits of call-outs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

What would that be?

You don't know? I feel sorry for the people around you.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Brainiac Five posted:

The same reason you wouldn't beat and rob someone.

I mean you say that, but there are people I would feel entirely justified in beating and robbing. Like slave owners for instance.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

thechosenone posted:

So then, what reason would you give to white people for not being racist?

Because racism is tragically bad. It's bad in a Darth-Vader-in-Star-Wars bad. It's bad in a way a 4 year-old can understand.
I'm sorry to use such a simple and manichean - one would say naive - argument. But racism is simply awful.

Now, of course I realize the futility of such a talking point in this day and age. It's extremely hard pull someone out of the poisoned well of racism. However it's still feasible to stop someone from falling down.

To conclude once more: It's my belief that the simple "racism=bad", the emotional argument, is more effective than rational ones. It's also my belief that we whites should waste no time convincing bona fide racists. We might use some time to openly ridiculize them when and where we outnumber them. And also always remember in the back of our minds that violence is sometimes the answer... But in fine the best argument is that racism is just the worst.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence posted:

I mean you say that, but there are people I would feel entirely justified in beating and robbing. Like slave owners for instance.

I wanted to avoid repeating myself from earlier in the thread where I used murder as an example.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

You don't know? I feel sorry for the people around you.

Indeed, so do I, please tell me why not to beat and rob someone so that I may become a better person.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

Indeed, so do I, please tell me why not to beat and rob someone so that I may become a better person.

Let's start on honesty first.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Because racism is tragically bad. It's bad in a Darth-Vader-in-Star-Wars bad. It's bad in a way a 4 year-old can understand.
I'm sorry to use such a simple and manichean - one would say naive - argument. But racism is simply awful.

Now, of course I realize the futility of such a talking point in this day and age. It's extremely hard pull someone out of the poisoned well of racism. However it's still feasible to stop someone from falling down.

To conclude once more: It's my belief that the simple "racism=bad", the emotional argument, is more effective than rational ones. It's also my belief that we whites should waste no time convincing bona fide racists. We might use some time to openly ridiculize them when and where we outnumber them. And also always remember in the back of our minds that violence is sometimes the answer... But in fine the best argument is that racism is just the worst.

So it is so easy to comprehend why racism is bad that even a four year old may understand, I really am stupid. Could you explain it to me?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

thechosenone posted:

So it is so easy to comprehend why racism is bad that even a four year old may understand, I really am stupid. Could you explain it to me?

I'm out! :v:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Let's start on honesty first.

Please tell me why it is wrong to beat and rob someone, surely you can find it in your heart to explain to me this reason.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Please explain why, it would surely take little of your time, and it would surely help me to understand better your position. please gift me this knowledge, I know I incredibly dense, but surely if you explain it will make sense to me!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

thechosenone posted:

Please explain why, it would surely take little of your time, and it would surely help me to understand better your position. please gift me this knowledge, I know I incredibly dense, but surely if you explain it will make sense to me!

Dude, chill! We did the maieutics dance, now it's done. Time to pack and go home.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

Please tell me why it is wrong to beat and rob someone, surely you can find it in your heart to explain to me this reason.

Imagine, if you will, the greatest possible pain you can think of, the deepest misery, the most existential form of suffering. Now imagine something ten times worse than that. In the Hell to which you will be condemned for dishonesty, such a sensation will be like a warm bath after a relaxing dinner and a good movie, on an all-expenses paid vacation, after a hell of a good gently caress. Your daily existence will be at least a thousand times more painful. And worst of all, the angels of torture will ensure that you know with all your mind and heart and soul that you are only getting what you deserve for being a jackass in a thread online.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Dude, chill! We did the maieutics dance, now it's done. Time to pack and go home.

But what of the 'trap card'? or about explaining why it is wrong to beat and rob someone, which I have been told would give insight as to why it is wrong for a white person to be racist?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Imagine, if you will, the greatest possible pain you can think of, the deepest misery, the most existential form of suffering. Now imagine something ten times worse than that. In the Hell to which you will be condemned for dishonesty, such a sensation will be like a warm bath after a relaxing dinner and a good movie, on an all-expenses paid vacation, after a hell of a good gently caress. Your daily existence will be at least a thousand times more painful. And worst of all, the angels of torture will ensure that you know with all your mind and heart and soul that you are only getting what you deserve for being a jackass in a thread online.

Alright, I am imagining that (perhaps being flayed alive while feeling like your dying of some incredibly nauseating disease?) What else must I do to understand why it is wrong to beat and rob someone, (which I've come under the impression will tell me why a white person should not be racist as well)?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

Alright, I am imagining that, What else must I do to understand why it is wrong to beat and rob someone, (which I've come under the impression will tell me why a white person should not be racist as well)?

All you need to do is continue living and when you die you will suffer all the suffering of everyone that has ever lived for every second you thought this was clever. This will repeat endlessly until you understand why it was wrong for you to do, and then your actual sentence can begin. It normally starts at a million years for just what you've done in this thread but you will probably earn a couple trillion.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

How do you sell people on the idea they shouldn't murder?

Do you think most people are secret murderers?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

the point

you

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I don't see what your perpetual argument about how people who are alive and not dead persecute you for saying racial slurs has to do with anything.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

All you need to do is continue living and when you die you will suffer all the suffering of everyone that has ever lived for every second you thought this was clever. This will repeat endlessly until you understand why it was wrong for you to do, and then your actual sentence can begin. It normally starts at a million years for just what you've done in this thread but you will probably earn a couple trillion.

I must admit I am a complete and utter idiot, and that it is amazing that have made it as far as I have. Please, could you have pity on this disgusting fool and explain to him why it is wrong to beat and rob someone? I know it must be true, but surely I would understand more, perhaps even be able to understand why a white person should not be racist, if you would be so kind as to explain it to me, burdensome as it is.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

I must admit I am a complete and utter idiot, and that it is amazing that have made it as far as I have. Please, could you have pity on this disgusting fool and explain to him why it is wrong to beat and rob someone? I know it must be true, but surely I would understand more, perhaps even be able to understand why a white person should not be racist, if you would be so kind as to explain it to me, burdensome as it is.

I'll tell you if you provide me with your Social Security Number, credit card information, and a cool ten thou in cash. No coins, please.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

I'll tell you if you provide me with your Social Security Number, credit card information, and a cool ten thou in cash. No coins, please.

Upon my word, tarnished as it may be, I will do so. So, please, liberate me from my ignorance, why shouldn't someone beat and rob someone?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

Upon my word, tarnished as it may be, I will do so. So, please, liberate me from my ignorance, why shouldn't someone beat and rob someone?

You gotta pay to play, kid. The little misunderstanding will also cost you your bank account numbers.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

You gotta pay to play, kid. The little misunderstanding will also cost you your bank account numbers.

Oh please Brainiac, have mercy on me! Surely you can find it in your heart to tell me why one should not beat and rob someone, I shall provide you everything, so please tell me! Surely if you can find reason not to beat and rob people, you can find reason within to tell me why?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't see what your perpetual argument about how people who are alive and not dead persecute you for saying racial slurs has to do with anything.

I've never been persecuted in any meaningful way so I'm not sure where this response is coming from. However you seemed to be drawing some kind of equivalence between Murder, Violence and Racism, so perhaps you'd like to expand on it?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Frosted Flake posted:

Having a culture where ambitious people climb socially based on their ability to fracture organizations they are members of is not conducive to ever accomplishing anything.

What are the benefits of call-outs?

Calling out an individual for their behavior in a group, is done for a few reasons. One; it draws attention to the action or statement and points out its negative implication. Two; It removes the ability for the individual responsible for the action or statement to assume that everyone, through their silence, agrees with his or her action/statement. Three; It reinforces the social norms of decency in polite conversation.

Probably more, but I'm busy.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I've never been persecuted in any meaningful way so I'm not sure where this response is coming from. However you seemed to be drawing some kind of equivalence between Murder, Violence and Racism, so perhaps you'd like to expand on it?

I don't know what those capitalized words refer to.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

I believe he refers to murder, violence, and racism, only capitalized. please, educate us! you may very well be our only hope!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

They are the subject of my question. You started out making a comparison to murder, you then shifted to a (non-sequitor?) of robbery, and those are both being compared to racism, by you and others.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Talmonis posted:

Calling out an individual for their behavior in a group, is done for a few reasons. One; it draws attention to the action or statement and points out its negative implication. Two; It removes the ability for the individual responsible for the action or statement to assume that everyone, through their silence, agrees with his or her action/statement. Three; It reinforces the social norms of decency in polite conversation.

Probably more, but I'm busy.

Couldn't this be applied to not being racist?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

They are the subject of my question. You started out making a comparison to murder, you then shifted to a (non-sequitor?) of robbery, and those are both being compared to racism, by you and others.

No, your question featured capitalized words, which I assume referred to some code. I want to know why you capitalized them so I can assess whether you are mentally normal enough to be worth talking to.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

thechosenone posted:

Couldn't this be applied to not being racist?

How? This question seems largely nonsensical.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

No, your question featured capitalized words, which I assume referred to some code. I want to know why you capitalized them so I can assess whether you are mentally normal enough to be worth talking to.

Please, do not hide such immense knowledge from us Brainiac! Please tell us your reasonings, and surely we will understand!

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

How? This question seems largely nonsensical.

I mean, if that is how we change people's minds, wouldn't racist people have done that to non-racist people, 'correcting' them before they could grow into their own? If reason doesn't work, how can we expect to out emotion them, when they are more emotional then us? how can we out violence them, when they are more violent then us?

It just seems like if we can't get people to defect to our side, and they outnumber us, then how are we supposed to win?

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 10, 2017

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

thechosenone posted:

I mean, if that is how we change people's minds, wouldn't racist people have done that to non-racist people, 'correcting' them before they could grow into their own? If reason doesn't work, how can we expect to out emotion them, when they are more emotional then us? how can we out violence them, when they are more violent then us?

It just seems like if we can't get people to defect to our side, and they outnumber us, then how are we supposed to win?

The same way we've always won. With grindingly slow progress, tiny victories over generations that add up to a whole goddamn lot when taken from an overall view. Occasionally by using the army on Southerners.

edit* And to be less flippant and address your first point, yes that's exactly how racists acted toward non-racists when they were the majority. The Civil Rights era was a goddamn street brawl compared to today, when being a "race traitor" could get your family killed. We still won that fight. So today, being an open racist is considered impolite even in the south. Some are mad about that, and they rush to Trump like he's the second coming of N.B. Forrest. The rest of his voters (to be clear, voters are not the same as his supporters) are just your standard Republican. They don't mean folks any particular harm, they could just care less if minorities or gay folks live or die.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 10, 2017

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Keep in mind, Trump didn't exactly win with a ton of votes either and didn't even win the popular vote. There isn't a horde of right wingers backing any of this poo poo up and a few 'cucks' or whatever madeup words idiots are using aren't numerous. They're only loud.

With that said I'm not sure if I'd be happy to call myself conservative with what their leadership represents.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

It is merely a posting style where I capitalize certain words for emphasis, I apologize for confusing you.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
61,900,651 people voted for Trump.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Not many Trump voters out there. Hell, they're only about as numerous as the population of France or Italy or the UK or Thailand. No big deal, I'm sure they're gonna fade away on their own, no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Talmonis posted:

The same way we've always won. With grindingly slow progress, tiny victories over generations that add up to a whole goddamn lot when taken from an overall view. Occasionally by using the army on Southerners.

edit* And to be less flippant and address your first point, yes that's exactly how racists acted toward non-racists when they were the majority. The Civil Rights era was a goddamn street brawl compared to today, when being a "race traitor" could get your family killed. We still won that fight. So today, being an open racist is considered impolite even in the south. Some are mad about that, and they rush to Trump like he's the second coming of N.B. Forrest. The rest of his voters (to be clear, voters are not the same as his supporters) are just your standard Republican. They don't mean folks any particular harm, they could just care less if minorities or gay folks live or die.

But exactly why is it that we did not succumb to this when they did so, if it is effective at changing people? where exactly did the civil rights movement come from?

Also, it makes me ask why it is that bigoted opinions would succumb to this any more readily than ones which aren't. I know Racism is bad, but how can you convince anyone that what you say is right when all someone would have to do is ask why to leave you forced to sidle around it. It puts a lie to it, and leaves you exceedingly vulnerable to being undercut.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 10, 2017

• Locked thread