Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Rock n' Roll drugs drugs
drugs drugs drugs drugs rock n' roll
drugs drugs sweet metal riff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll be a late addition and :toxx: some lord of war for mechanicus.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

I'll be a late addition and :toxx: some lord of war for mechanicus.

Edited you in! Happy to pledge more souls to our one true master Tzeentch as they offer themselves to the Great Lord Birb.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
This is a much better thread than other worse threads.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Because I don't need another centerpiece model I'm going to *~*up the stakes*~* and provide prize support for the Lord of War voted to be the best by this thread.

For the best Lord of War, I will buy you a complete non-LoW unit entry. After all, you just painted your own Lord of War, now you need some dudes to run it with! What does this mean? A Contemptor Dreadnought Talon can have 3 Contemptors, which is what I would buy you (along with the weapons of your choice). Or 20 tactical marines (with upgrade kits as available). Or whatever other dumb bad choice you want!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

panascope posted:

Because I don't need another centerpiece model I'm going to *~*up the stakes*~* and provide prize support for the Lord of War voted to be the best by this thread.

For the best Lord of War, I will buy you a complete non-LoW unit entry. After all, you just painted your own Lord of War, now you need some dudes to run it with! What does this mean? A Contemptor Dreadnought Talon can have 3 Contemptors, which is what I would buy you (along with the weapons of your choice). Or 20 tactical marines (with upgrade kits as available). Or whatever other dumb bad choice you want!

:eyepop:

Nice. More toxxes pls.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Thanks guys! My favorite thing about the dorks is their loyalty.

Also quote this post if you wanna :toxx: to complete a superheavy this year- built and painted.

:toxx: for a superheavy, one of which I technically bought just to paint this year? Why the hell not!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
There is a reason
This line's seven syllables
Iron in, Dorks Throughout

Edit: for better last line

Felime fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 10, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

God bless us, every one.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Rulebook Heavily posted:

:toxx: for a superheavy, one of which I technically bought just to paint this year? Why the hell not!

Welcome to damnation, battle brother. Added you to the post.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

It's here, the best Warhammer thread

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Put me down for a :toxx: for Guilliman. Let's paint this patrician motherfucker

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

Put me down for a :toxx: for Guilliman. Let's paint this patrician motherfucker

You're down for painting one Alpharius!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hmmm. Alright, I will up the reward prize pool based on Inferno. Assuming I have stuff I won't use, I can most likely muster a second place prize.

Something like infantry, or dread, javelin, etc.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Being extremely temped to get a Perturabo for this, have some questions:

1) Is his gaming base seriously just a smaller version of his display base? If so, how hard is it to swap between the two?
2) For painting that base, do we know anythign about any Knights that he's faced?
3) Is the arm with Forgebreaker easily magnetized two swap between that and his normal hand?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Decimation is
A word often misused
Petruabo knows

(I don't actually want the Typhon, I just like the idea of 40k haiku :v:)

Iron Hands of the
Iron Hands has iron hands
But no head

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Being extremely temped to get a Perturabo for this, have some questions:

1) Is his gaming base seriously just a smaller version of his display base? If so, how hard is it to swap between the two?
2) For painting that base, do we know anythign about any Knights that he's faced?
3) Is the arm with Forgebreaker easily magnetized two swap between that and his normal hand?

At least with Horus, the gaming base just slots into the larger display base.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Can I wait on my Toxx untill Inferno drops? :shobon:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yes but if you win your prize will be a hand turkey drawn by me.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Pfft...

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

The natural evolution from 3 laser vindicators and a sicaran venator in Autilon's Skorr's Decapitation Squad would probably be a Cerberus. :unsmigghh: :toxx:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I have an intimidating baggy filled with Fire Raptor parts, and I don't want to hand scrub each tiny piece. Is it enough to dump this stuff in a bowl of warm soapy water, or do I need to break out the ol' resin scrubbing tooth brush?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I have an intimidating baggy filled with Fire Raptor parts, and I don't want to hand scrub each tiny piece. Is it enough to dump this stuff in a bowl of warm soapy water, or do I need to break out the ol' resin scrubbing tooth brush?
You definitely want to scrub everything. I tend to be pretty fastidious about that sort of thing and I still end up with patches of leftover release agent.

Also, as someone who is currently wrestling with a Fire Raptor kit, enjoy. :shepface: It is, without a doubt, one of the worst kits I have ever put together.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You don't have to scrub as hard when you leave it in a tub for like a week, especially one so full of soap that the water changes color.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Iron Circle good rules
WS3 AP5 2A 3+ can't run
215 points per-model

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

panascope posted:

A Sicaran ain't a lord of war.

I didn't read the part where it had to be a LoW.

Backup should be Corax, I'm too broke for a Glaive or Fellblade.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Iron Circle good rules
WS3 AP5 2A 3+ can't run
215 points per-model

Don't be tricked my simple friend
By the stripes upon my mans
Though Iron Warriors they may seem
They count as Iron Hands

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I didn't read the part where it had to be a LoW.

Backup should be Corax, I'm too broke for a Glaive or Fellblade.

Either way your account will be banned on Jan 1 of next year unless you post some kind of LoW you painted in this thread! :evilbuddy:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Either way your account will be banned on Jan 1 of next year unless you post some kind of LoW you painted in this thread! :evilbuddy:

I'll have to set up an annoying calendar reminder for every 3 days like I have to remind me to update my CEUs

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

They count as Iron Hands

Warsmith Tim
Had striped artificer trim,
He thought them all afraid of him;

But sad to say,
Rainbow stripes today,
Won’t make power fists go away;

So he challenged in a fight,
He had no cyber familiar in sight,
And that was the end of Warsmith Tim.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Finally finished the 30 or so tacticals that I started months ago. I decided not to go with the marble base, it looked great but detracted from the model. After a while I just fell into using astrogranite debris combined with agrellan earth, then painted VMA black grey.

Sorry about the lighting, I did try.

I used a Necron staff because I figured it's a good symbol of their pre-heresy attitude: the desire to mess with things they do not have a full understanding on. It's like something this little dude "found" and figured it worked pretty cool.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Warsmith Tim
Had striped artificer trim,
He thought them all afraid of him;

But sad to say,
Rainbow stripes today,
Won’t make power fists go away;

So he challenged in a fight,
He had no cyber familiar in sight,
And that was the end of Warsmith Tim.

The army headed off to war
To fight their mortal foe
They marched out in bare plastic grey
All clad from head to toe

But much to their surprise
They found their foes all looked the same
So neatly built and cleanly made
In plastic nice and plain

Dice were rolled, distances measured
One side had clearly won
When a distant voice loudly rang out
"Unpainted? loving dumb."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Not going to toxx on it but I'll really finish my Armorcast Warhound, hahaha

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Recoome posted:

Not going to toxx on it but I'll really finish my Armorcast Warhound, hahaha

Congratulations, I've added you to the toxx post. Welcome to the traitor legions brother, we are the lost and the damned.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

They count as Iron Hands

We have a loving winner here. It may not be haiku, but goddamnit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

seeing as I have been toxxed against my will, and I'm not going to have a lot of time to actually do this before university starts up again, here is shot one of what I have to work with after I took this thing out after ages

This is the standard Armorcast Warhound Titan, which is patterned after the original Epic Warhound (the lovely one no-one remembers) and I guess the original sketches for it? I'll be painting it in the colours of Legio Mortis (scarlet and sable), although I'm not sure whether my airbrush still works so it's going to be interesting.

Step one will be easy enough, it'll involve cleaning the model and planning out the paintscheme properly. The model is held together by bolts, which I'll unfasten in order to clean it and to fix up the undercoat. The difficulty will come from keeping the paint smooth, as there is ~a lot~ of flat surface here.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Ah, gently caress it. Not gonna order him till Thursday but :toxx: for Perturabo.

SALTY WITHIN
SALTY WITHOUT

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren: :siren:
Haiku entries are closed- now it is up to 50s Raygun to choose the winner!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Due to my involuntary commital, I will also outline some of my thoughts regarding the game. I don't really game all that much anymore because university and work keep me really busy so this critique is probably about a year old, although I don't think much has changed.

The biggest issue I have with 30K is the scale and size. The 28mm dudes means you can have a lot of detail, and it's good enough for a skirmish game, but I really don't think it scales up to anything larger than a skirmish very well. This is extra evident in 30K, where I feel like games are usually larger outside playing poo poo like Zone Mortalis, which is almost specifically designed towards a skirmish/small unit engagement.

Movement and shooting with dudes becomes a tedious chore in larger games, with assaults taking literally ages to resolve. The game either is all about movement or just getting bogged down in shooting/not moving for the whole game (this is my experience anyway), which sort of leads me into the next part of my criticism.

The problem with Titans
This also applies to things that aren't Titans but fit in the powerband. Titans are great if you hate having friends because unless your opponent(s) have ways to counter it, the game turns into a "Sink the Bismarck" kind of game where the Titan fires one of it's big gently caress-you guns and invalidates a swathe of a person's army. I remember the look of consternation as my SM-crewed Baneblade annihilated about 50+ Imperial Guardsmen which took a while to set up and poo poo in a single shot, that guy wasn't having a good time (and we got hit with some dudes homebrew bullshitwagon flying titan thing, yikes). I'm not really sure the game handles the high power levels which Titans bring, and while my Titan isn't egrerious with only a single Double-Barrelled Turbo Laser and either a Flamer, Melta, or Plasma Blastgun (whatever I feel like, basically), anything with 2x DBTLs or more (like a Reaver) would just be horseshit. I guess there's ways around it but every game I've played using this high-powered poo poo involves lining up in parade formation and blasting each other, because the scale is too large to maneuver. Anyway thats enough for now.

Titan update

Step one is basically complete, the model is now clean, primed, and disassembled. The paint scheme is black/charcoal, red, and then different colours of metal for the metalwork/detail. The trick will be painting stripes on half the leg, and one side of the upper hull. The lower legs will be split in half, with black on the inside and striping/red on the exterior. I'll probably pick these paints up within the week.

Overall I'll be really happy when it's done because I'm not really fussed on ever really using it, but at least it'll be painted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

:siren: :siren:
Haiku entries are closed- now it is up to 50s Raygun to choose the winner!

we'll do it by vote, i don't like poetry.