Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Little Mac posted:

So if I watch this speedrun of Undertale without having played it, would it ruin things for me if I wanted to play it later?

I have no idea how the run goes but since the game is almost impossible to not spoil even just by talking about it I'd say it at least would make some things less enjoyable for you if not outright ruin them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Little Mac posted:

So if I watch this speedrun of Undertale without having played it, would it ruin things for me if I wanted to play it later?

Yeah, if you have any interest in playing Undertale, I wouldn't watch the speedrun until after finishing the game. It's one of those games that's waaaaay better when you haven't been spoiled on it at all.

Like, it's really up to you, it's just highly recommended to not spoil yourself on it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Little Mac posted:

Yeah, I'd say so, anything beyond the first few minutes, anyway. If you don't care about ever playing it then whatever but if you wanna play it, it's definitely best to go in as blind as possible.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Little Mac posted:

Possibly. It's entirely possible to beat it before the run, too. Or well, do a "normal" and a pacifist run.

Hell, you could do it while watching AGDQ. Fights are turn based.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Little Mac posted:

I haven't seen it speedrun, but I can only imagine the answer is yes. The final bosses are incredibly spoilery, and the specific ending they're going for is one of those experiences that is powerful and memorable if you play it, but loses a lot if you just watch it. IMO play through it before watching a speedrun, it's that kind of game.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
It's only $5 dollars on Steam if that changes anything for you; it definitely did for me. Based on all of the hype it received (and still receives) I expected $20 or more. At $5 it's very worth checking out.

E: You're probably getting way more info than you cared for but one more thing: The story and dialogue is what you're really paying for with Undertale, and that's going to be skipped/spoiled in a speedrun.

EE: VVV Those, too. It's just a good short lil game! Fair amount of replay value as well; you'll probably play it at least twice. VVV

timp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 10, 2017

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Battle system and music were the best things about the game in my opinion, but it's got a good story too. It was worth playing, though not nearly the "omg best game ever".

And yeah, it's short. My first playthrough was slightly north of four hours.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm really interested in seeing how Undertale looks in speedrun form.

In other news though, I liked that Descent 2 run a lot. The run itself is really fast and action packed, and there's a few good moments with cool tricks and Marathon Luck, but it's also a huge testament to how much a good runner/commentator can do.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Deformed Church posted:

I'm really interested in seeing how Undertale looks in speedrun form.

In other news though, I liked that Descent 2 run a lot. The run itself is really fast and action packed, and there's a few good moments with cool tricks and Marathon Luck, but it's also a huge testament to how much a good runner/commentator can do.

It's mainly just fast plays until a certain point, and then the run gets pretty drat interesting/broken.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, Descent is a good speed game and the runner was great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

something posted:

It's mainly just fast plays until a certain point, and then the run gets pretty drat interesting/broken.

That's good to hear. I've never watched an Undertale speedrun before so I don't know what to expect. If it didn't have much in the way of broken poo poo then it would be a pretty bad game to speedrun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

iospace posted:

Fights are turn based.

drat, this killed it for me. I'll probably give the LP a go before the run if I can squeeze it in.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

s.i.r.e. posted:

drat, this killed it for me. I'll probably give the LP a go before the run if I can squeeze it in.
It's turn based fights but the fighting system is actually good and involved, so fights are actually fun to do anyway. I usually can't stand random encounters but the fighting system made me not mind it so much.

Also: lol, v-sync

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a free demo, give it a go.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

s.i.r.e. posted:

While turn based they are active. You are required to dodge attacks some taking over 30 seconds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It was pretty fitting that the first part of the Daikatana run had to involve serious tech problems, but since that stuff got ironed out it's been pretty good.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, the enemy attacks in Undertale are basically tiny bullet hell stages. It's "turn-based" in that you choose what to do in between each bit of bullet hell, but it's not the usual boring JRPG thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, the enemy attacks in Undertale are basically tiny bullet hell stages. It's "turn-based" in that you choose what to do in between each bit of bullet hell, but it's not the usual boring JRPG thing.

Hmm... at $5 I can't be mad if I hate it. Thanks guys.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any of the runs after Vertical Super Metroid worth watching?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

s.i.r.e. posted:

Hmm... at $5 I can't be mad if I hate it. Thanks guys.

It's a great game for that cost, and it was great for its original price. Doesn't have much in the way of replay (most people will end up running it 2, maybe 3, times), but it's one of those fun little games that lasts just as long as it needs to.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rirse posted:

The Dark Messiah run is pretty interesting if only for classic Source Engine physics fuckery. Descent is good for being Descent.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rirse posted:

I think all of them except maybe Half-Life: Blue Shift are worth a watch. My favorite of the group was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which is a stupid-broken game with lots of fun physics glitches so if that's your thing then it's a must-watch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I enjoyed Fallout NV and I hear Dark Messiah was fun too. If you like hilariously glitchy FPS games anyway :v:

(also posting to free up a stuck post)

e: I can already say with certainty that I recommend DOOM :allears:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 11, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Going to have to watch Dark Messiah and New Vegas once the VoD splits. Glad those two are good runs, as New Vegas is one of my all time favorite games, and Dark Messiah is always a blast watching people do stuff like icing a bridge and making enemies slide into a spike wall or off a cliff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

new vegas had a couple funny mistakes in it in addition to being a pretty good run

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

When was vertical Super Metroid? Can't find it in the VODs or schedule.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

chiefnewo posted:

It was right after Metroid Prime 2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

chiefnewo posted:

It's on the schedule as Super Metroid Rotation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chiefnewo posted:

Super Metroid Rotation and it was played by Feral5x. It took a slot that was originally reserved for setup time.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Sweet, thanks all.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Ok, Doom is most definitely a must-watch run. That was amazing.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
Add DOOM to the must watch list because that run was awesome in so many ways

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Just popping in to say:

WATCH DOOM IF YOU MISSED IT.

Not only it's a great game, but the Speedrun busts it wide open, and is full of OOB, clips, has a lot of skill-based weapon boosting. A real spectacle and good commentary.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The Doom 4 speedrun is the first time Doom 4 has interested me, it's pretty solid and the runner did some cool aesthetic mods for the event.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Doom was cool as hell, too bad it's being followed up by like 8 hours of unwatchable races

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The first Mario race was pretty watchable and very well-commentated

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

All the classic Mario races should be pretty good, yeah.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And the Lost Level race is being commentary by BIG JON!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That soft lock!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This Sunshine 4-way race is badass. Alot of shortcuts and quick routes that can be made with the F.L.U.D.D.. F.L.U.D.D.+dive seems to be super effective

• Locked thread