Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
One of the members of the Deep Lying Podcast has been using Assombalonga with Sttutgart. Assombalonga is absolutely destroying the Bundesliga as a CF-A there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
There's an FM podcast? How is it?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mandalay posted:

There's an FM podcast? How is it?

I like it. They talk about their tactics, player roles, mentalities, other people's saves, etc. They usually have a good guest on as well.

The audio quality varies between ok and garbage, because none of them are in the same location.

Edit: There's usually also a community update that goes over what various youtubers/streamers are up to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm not sure what's happening, but I've been playing as Nottingham Forest, rolling with a fairly generic (and I expected lovely) 5-3-2 formation after my assman suggested it, and it's led to

3rd in Championship (Won Playoffs)
6th in Premiership
Currently 8th in Premiership (2 points out of 5th)/Knockout stages of Europa/Semi-Final of League Cup/4th round of FA Cup

I try to completely avoid any team instructions or opposition instructions, and just have the lads run around and have fun. Kind of a Harry Redknapp style

It seems like through balls/long balls to strikers going out wide are better as opposed to it purely being wingbacks just destroying everyone. And free kicks are actually useful again. But still, late arriving wingbacks putting in crosses are the poo poo. Also, Britt Assombalonga is the loving man. Scored 27 in the Championship, 19 with 10 assists first season in the Premiership.

Fullbacks on Automatic, worthless post.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

Fullbacks on Automatic, worthless post.

Fullbacks on automatic is really good because it means you can't forget to set their instructions individually per game

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

Fullbacks on automatic is really good because it means you can't forget to set their instructions individually per game

FYI, your wingbacks are on defensive duty.

Your mentality is Counter (defensive), so anyone on Automatic is going to use that. If what you're using works, more power to you, but :effort:.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

That screenshot's not mine, but I leave my fullbacks on auto so that when I change the teams mentality per game, my fullbacks change automatically to defend or attack or whatever without me having to remember to change them manually

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

FYI, your wingbacks are on defensive duty.

Your mentality is Counter (defensive), so anyone on Automatic is going to use that. If what you're using works, more power to you, but :effort:.

I'm pretty sure Counter is Support.

Automatic is a bad idea because changing from Defensive to Standard to Overload during a game doesn't ruin team shape, it just modifies how fast you want the ball to move, how high to press etc. but the different duties of full-back have massive effects on how they operate going forward.

Just because I want to slow things down doesn't mean I want my full-back to abandon his job when we're in possession. If he stops (or starts) moving forward another player is going to have to move to accommodate that. It's a mess.

Contain & Defensive = Defend
Counter, Standard, Control = Support
Attacking & Overload = Attack

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 3, 2016

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
https://youtu.be/8FQgiILe6NE

So that happened

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I've actually had them on 'support' forever (usually I just put anyone I'm not sure of on this), but I tried automatic for about half of the season in the screenshot. It appeared to make 0 difference in anything but maybe if I paid more attention to individual matches it would have been clearly bad.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

that's a match, sure

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I've had trouble getting work permits in 2017. I have 3 players who are out on loan until I can get one. I tried for one of them earlier and got one, so I decided to try for another one. Every time I click on Apply For Work Permit, I get a message saying when the decision will be made, but then nothing happens. I don't get any message about it and can apply again. Anyone else had this? Should I just keep trying and it'll work eventually?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mickolution posted:

I've had trouble getting work permits in 2017. I have 3 players who are out on loan until I can get one. I tried for one of them earlier and got one, so I decided to try for another one. Every time I click on Apply For Work Permit, I get a message saying when the decision will be made, but then nothing happens. I don't get any message about it and can apply again. Anyone else had this? Should I just keep trying and it'll work eventually?

I think you usually have to wait a bit for the decision. I had one that took a week for the decision to be made.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Shroud posted:

I think you usually have to wait a bit for the decision. I had one that took a week for the decision to be made.

No, it says the decision will be that day or the next, but then no message comes through. For the guy who got one, it was the same day.

edit: the game updated before I loaded it today, which I'm hoping means that's why the wp came through for one guy, though might just be coincidence.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
One of the first things that happened to me post-update was an AM message saying "player has suffered an injury but should be able to continue, it looks like defaultinjury#1"

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Adrianics posted:

One of the first things that happened to me post-update was an AM message saying "player has suffered an injury but should be able to continue, it looks like defaultinjury#1"

Got that the other year playing 5 a side. Potentially career ending. Doc had no idea how to treat it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ok I finally caved and bought 17, what's the good tactical strats this year so I don't have to discover them myself? Is it still all about attacking fullbacks?

Also is this the 17 thread too and if so can a mod plz change the name, please and thank you

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Is 17 worth buying now then, have the big bugs been ironed out?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Coohoolin posted:

Is 17 worth buying now then, have the big bugs been ironed out?

I haven't actually noticed any big bugs this time around, although I think started on 17.0.2 so maybe I just missed them.

I do keep buying too many players though cos I can't refuse a bargain, and now I need to sell 4 players just to trim the squad down to 25, someone help me

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

I haven't actually noticed any big bugs this time around, although I think started on 17.0.2 so maybe I just missed them.

I do keep buying too many players though cos I can't refuse a bargain, and now I need to sell 4 players just to trim the squad down to 25, someone help me

Sell the 4 with the lowest Anticipation.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I was just gonna get rid of the 4 most expensive non-homegrown players and replace them with youth but I'll see who has low anticipation and decisions. Are either of those particularly trainable skills? and same for Aggression, I don't think I've ever seen that increase.

Any tips for actually getting rid of squad fillers? I tend to get no offers and they just get upset about being offered out because they are actually still good enough to play for the club, they just don't get enough games to justify their wages.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't consider Decisions especially important. Look at how little putting players outside their trained positions matters - that's a Decisions penalty and nothing else.

Aggression isn't linked to CA/PA so it can change but it's more events based than the normal gradual up-arrows style.

Offer em out for peanuts.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
If someone already has the personality and PPMs you want, is there any point in tutoring them?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

If someone already has the personality and PPMs you want, is there any point in tutoring them?

If the tutor has the same personality, and hopefully higher Determination, sure.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I read online on some dodgy website many years ago that tutoring was a significant contributor to development.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Speaking of tutoring, does anyone else buy Angelo Palombo every save just for his tutoring abilities?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

If the tutor has the same personality, and hopefully higher Determination, sure.

Determination is a junk attribute.

Mandalay posted:

I read online on some dodgy website many years ago that tutoring was a significant contributor to development.

Player development is influenced by playing time (and the level they're playing at), Ambition, Professionalism, Injury Proneness and pure good old-fashioned luck. edit: And facilities but who pays attention to that?

Tutoring can help improve two of these, as long as you're sure the tutor has better values. So many people tutor to give kids high Determination and end up killing their Ambition and Professionalism in the process.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 9, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

No.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Determination is a junk attribute.

Doesn't that attribute influence how a player reacts when the other team has the lead?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

Doesn't that attribute influence how a player reacts when the other team has the lead?

It's one of many attributes that affect how players react to adversity.

The in-game morale states aren't worth worrying about though. Nervous, fired up etc. it's just small modifiers to other attributes.

Get a team of players with good First Touch, Passing, Off The Ball, Anticipation, Vision and Weak Foot and win football matches.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

Speaking of tutoring, does anyone else buy Angelo Palombo every save just for his tutoring abilities?

He also was the best DM in the game for an entire decade of FM releases for some reason

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Determination is important but no moreso than a bunch of other mental attributes.

I've got a chance to sign Leroy Sane, Memphis Depay, Anthony Martial or Alex Teixera for all around the same price ($20 mil). Wanna know who you guys would sign out of that lot

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If nothing else Determination is better than Workrate.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I sold Martial to PSG for 120m during my beta FM17 game. So him?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, I was thinking that $20M is an insanely low price for Martial or Sane, so one of them (probably Martial), but I don't play with big teams so I don't have any experience actually managing that kind of player, just a vague sense that the researchers would give Martial the best stats of that lot.

They don't seem like like-for-like players, though, so maybe "whichever one fits your tactic best"?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Bogan Krkic posted:

Determination is important but no moreso than a bunch of other mental attributes.

I've got a chance to sign Leroy Sane, Memphis Depay, Anthony Martial or Alex Teixera for all around the same price ($20 mil). Wanna know who you guys would sign out of that lot

I have both Depay and Sane and Sane is by far the better of the two. He got me about 25 goals as an inside forward and about 30 as a retrained AF in my weird 4222

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tbh I don't need to sign any of them, I just feel like I should because it's rare a player of that rep and that potential comes up for so cheaply, and now I'm spoiled for choice... There's also Marco Pjaca available for around the same price and stats-wise the 4 players are pretty much the same. I'm leaning toward Martial because he seems like the most suited to play as a lone striker and that's probably my weakest position currently, but idk man i j d k

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I may as well post all the players I can buy for the same price (~£30m) and my current options in the wide positions for a 4231:

I've also got Luan, Berahino and Pinaranda that I can use in those positions in a pinch, so it's not like I need another winger, but I'd like to bring in one if not two of these guys at the end of the season, especially since my striking stocks are pretty low currently.

You lot are my transfer committee now

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I also have Asensio and I would absolutely sign him, almost certainly my best player and probably will be for a long time. Averaged about a 7.40 rating every year and is the most consistently good freekick taker I've used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They're really letting the west ham researcher run wild with Lanzini.