Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Tyma posted:

"And they wonder why nobody watches Rugby Union anymore." - Jonathan "Jiffy" Davies, 2016

Has anyone told him that Cardiff and the Dragons are shite teams that even the fans are sad about watching and probably not indicative of union as a whole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The dragons have certainly been having a right shitter of a season.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
RE: concussionchat--

In our last match of the season our starting 8 got walloped in the head--probably by a stray knee while making a tackle--and proceeded to get both kinds of amnesia. When I was walking him back to the parking lot (thank God he had been driven there rather than driving himself...) he stopped three times on the 200yd walk to check if he had his house keys. The next day, he posted to the club Fb group to say "hey guys, I hear the game was a good one, which is nice to know since I don't remember any of what happened yesterday."

:ohdear:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

How do I get trickier with the ball? I never think to dummy or fake kick or any that stuff. I just run around people, run through people or pass.

Any good youtubes or drills or things I can focus on mentally?

This got lost in concussion chat so I wanted to give you some advice here--and as I have very little natural athletic talent I think about stuff like this all the time.

Your best bet is probably to run a lot of decision-making drills, like 2v1 or 3v2 at first, and really pay attention to how the defenders react. Practice dummying until you can consistently sell the dummy, and then refine it so that when the defender doesn't buy it you still have space to make the pass and let the defender commit to you.

Once you feel comfortable in that situation--and I personally am not super good at it, mind you--then you can try 2v2 and 3v3 and use the dummy or a step to create space, pulling two defenders onto yourself or your teammates in order to leave a running channel. A dummy switch or dummy loop can be very useful here, especially if you are coordinated enough to be balanced for a burst forward at just the right time.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 27, 2016

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Tyma posted:

"And they wonder why nobody watches Rugby Union anymore." - Jonathan "Jiffy" Davies, 2016

Good rugby is doing very well. The problem for dear old Davies is that Wales no longer plays good rugby.

You know you are a biased commentator when Brain Moore is more impartial than you are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brian Moore is just sounding tired recently. I think he's too angry with the state of the game to be biased any more.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Falcons just scored 2 tries in 3 minutes against Wasps. Good times :D

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Leicester sack Cockerill.

Richard Cockerill: Leicester Tigers sack director of rugby
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38489596

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
And to make matters worse for Leicester Manu Tuilagi is ruled out for 6 months with an ACL injury.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
At least the Saints are running smoothly, that's gotta count for something in the East Midlands Derby head-to-head. Leaving aside, of course, all the horrendous losing and ugly winning they've been doing.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 5, 2017

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
This is the greatest touchline conversion of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jsx4TOagQ0

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Ref should have let him re-take the conversion, and then gone and kicked the sound guy out of the stadium during the interval.

That's what I would do as ref, anyway.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Ugh, Bath have just pissed away another two score lead in the last ten minutes, and large part becuase George Ford has shanked two penalties from literally between the posts.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The Scarets - Ulster match gave a taste of how the new high tackle rules are going to be implemented. Two yellow cards and a penalty try for tackles that wouldn't have been anything other than a penalty last year. I'm all for player safety but it looked pretty daft tonight, especially the penalty try given when the player was ducking into the tackle.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
The Bath game was actually fairly sensibly reffed

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I don't know about the Scarlets penalty try - the attacker wasn't too low and the tackler was very reckless with a swinging arm on his face/head. I think it's a penalty and a yellow, although not convinced that it stopped the try scoring attempt.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
In the case of seroius foul play that might of stopped a try you take the player who committed the foul out of the picture. So in this case without the defending number 8 (who was the one who was pinged for the high and swinging arm) being there the attacker would of scored so penalty try.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
In light of the rule changes it probably was a penalty try and card, but there were at least 3 other tackles that were as bad as the one that got the Scarlets player carded through the course of the match that went unpunished. It's this inconsistency that could get frustrating, I'm not sure it's possible yet to card on every instance of shoulder high tackles due to the sheer frequency of them.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good to see Racing phoning it in against Munster today. I wonder if the French clubs will complain about teams using the Champions cup fixtures to rest players? ;)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

quote:

World Rugby is "disappointed" by Northampton's failure to treat George North's most recent head injury "appropriately".

The Wales wing, 24, appeared motionless after a mid-air tackle in the loss to Leicester on 3 December, but played on. A concussion panel review last month concluded North should not have played on, but did not sanction Saints.

A statement from rugby union's governing body said: "While it is impossible to completely remove the risk of error, World Rugby remains disappointed that there was a failure in this case to identify and manage the injury appropriately, in particular considering North's medical history."

"We know you guys hosed this up wholesale, but are not going to punish you in anyway or form so continue to go about killing your players"

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Awww, poor World Rugby, they're so disappointed. You see, they had such high expectations of Northampton, but they were let down. They're the real victim here.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Well, we all know that it's worse when you hosed up as a kid and your parents told you they weren't angry, they were disappointed. Maybe that's what WR as going for?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Haskell got to play 2 mins and got sparked out and then Robshaw is out. Going to be an exciting England back row for the 6 nations then!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

thegasman2000 posted:

Haskell got to play 2 mins and got sparked out and then Robshaw is out. Going to be an exciting England back row for the 6 nations then!

35 seconds.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Ouch! Itoje to 6 if Robshaw is out for the 6N?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Vaders Jester posted:

Ouch! Itoje to 6 if Robshaw is out for the 6N?

I have a hard time believing there's anything that guy can't do from an athletic standpoint, so why not?

e: I keep wanting to call him "just a pure athlete" but then I realize how racist that sounds. He's a skilled and smart player in addition to being a magnificently agile, quick, and strong one.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Apollodorus and Itoje sittin' in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Psh as if Rugby hasn't always been the most homoerotic sport there is.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

I have a hard time believing there's anything that guy can't do from an athletic standpoint, so why not?

e: I keep wanting to call him "just a pure athlete" but then I realize how racist that sounds. He's a skilled and smart player in addition to being a magnificently agile, quick, and strong one.

I'd agree, I reckon Itoje could turn his hand to pretty much any athletic endeavour and excel at it. He'll go far if he stays healthy and I say that as a huge Jonny Gray fan, who is likely to get cock-blocked out of the Lions test team by Itoje.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vFbMI8X4Q

Great video documenting the build up for the Italian side after the defeat to NZ and the win over SA in the Autumn.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Vaders Jester posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vFbMI8X4Q

Great video documenting the build up for the Italian side after the defeat to NZ and the win over SA in the Autumn.

clicked expecting the first rule of Italian driving preparation.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Joe Marler's just broken his leg. Those of you still playing club rugby might want to prep a highlight reel for Eddie Jones at this point...

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

tarbrush posted:

Joe Marler's just broken his leg. Those of you still playing club rugby might want to prep a highlight reel for Eddie Jones at this point...

I love how an athelete can break his leg and be a "doubt for the start of the 6N".... These guys must be banging out some sort of HGH to recover from an injury like that so quickly...

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

CyberPingu posted:

I love how an athelete can break his leg and be a "doubt for the start of the 6N".... These guys must be banging out some sort of HGH to recover from an injury like that so quickly...

Nah, I'm sure it's all of those intravenous injections of Vitamins. They definitely get more Vitamins than normal people.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Stem cell therapy seems to be the big thing for professional athletes so might be that?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It depends on the severity of the break. A badly broken leg put Paul Williams out of rugby for a couple of years back in 02 or 03, for example.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Warburton's going to be replaced by Wyn Jones as captain of the New Scotland.

The King is dead. Long live the King!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
England Grand Slam 2017 T-shirts are on sale, everyone! Buy now and you'll get a discount!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/01/12/england-grand-slam-t-shirts-go-sale-three-weeks-start-six-nations/

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gotta order well in advance if you want the sweatshops to churn them out and boat them over in time, all while keeping it the lowest cost possible because you might be shipping them to Africa as a charitable write off in a few months.

The only surprise is that they're selling them already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

rip johny sexton