Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

In retrospect this was a really weird picture to turn into an ensemble piece, but I like it.

It makes me miss the Civil Meatles picture though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Beet Wagon posted:

In retrospect this was a really weird picture to turn into an ensemble piece, but I like it.

It makes me miss the Civil Meatles picture though.

Someone archer moma's avatar in there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean I get that MWO is a bad game nobody plays but they literally just spent the last year and a half trying to deal with the fallout of not being able to detect cheaters. This is p common sense stuff.

Oh god, yes.

You go the gently caress away and you grab something like punkbuster et al and you put that in your stack immediately to understand the ramifications on everything else. You do not retrofit. You do not assume that everyone is going to play nice. You don't make wild predictions of MLG cross over and not attract the attention of the cheater business model.

It's literally baby steps. And yet they hadn't done it. <ponder> Nope, not getting the disconnect there, perhaps more money will help.

Samizdata posted:

Wait, shouldn't we start tweeting with #IStandWithDerekAndLowtax?

I think we need one of those compound names to indicate they're besties, like 'Kimye'. Best I can do is Delowtaxart, and it sounds like a medication than a marriage made in heaven.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

kilus aof posted:

Detecting cheaters isn't the hard part, it is not getting false positives. Cheat makers disguise their programs to match normal software as much as possible. So when Blizzard or Valve get a software detection it always flags a hell of a lot of legitimate users. And sorting through that is the slow tedious part.

and with 12K+ accounts all over the place you better be sure when you pull the trigger especially in alpha.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

I think we need one of those compound names to indicate they're besties, like 'Kimye'. Best I can do is Delowtaxart, and it sounds like a medication than a marriage made in heaven.

Richart, Deryanka or Smartax are the only options

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

I'd pay $140 million to watch that. Derek seems pretty scrappy.

Erin would glass the two of them.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Star Citizen Real Hahahaha Citizen Just Get A Refund Like Citizen Close Your Wallet Haha

original content do not steal

:krust:

:same:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

No one has fixed the lack of Justin in the shot so far.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

intardnation posted:

and with 12K+ accounts all over the place you better be sure when you pull the trigger especially in alpha.

The lawsuit if they do it to someone in a country with proper consumer laws would be fun to watch too.

But they won't ban anyone unfortunately.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

You can only confidently ban cheaters when you have server logs of various interactions and behaviors that betray cheating behavior. I'd put money on CIG not being anywhere close to even being able to have logs of things like that. That's the sort of thing you can do once you start getting your network and server behavior in some kind of confident order, which they don't appear anywhere near. You should be setting up infrastructure for that as part of your fundamental network design right from the start, but it seems pretty clear CIG is just slamming things together as fast as they can just to make stuff work. This is why they are talking about needing video evidence of cheats. Any well thought out cheat resistant networking setup would allow them to look back at internal records to verify a cheat report.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

RobotDogPolice posted:

What about the people who are going to die before this ever gets released, after sinking hundreds/thousands into it?

They are the lucky ones. Reality can't destroy dreams when you are dead.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello

same guy who sent the sq42 cancellation rumor over

quote:

Motion capture wasn't expensive. Less than ten or fifteen million, all-in. The sixty million figure is nonsense. Most of the money went to produce content about the game and not in the game. Over seventy percent of our budget and time was spent on creating marketing content. This includes both internal and external marketing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chin posted:

Why would Erin Roberts, head of Foundry 42, the biggest studio focusing primarily on SQ42, need to fly across the Atlantic for a PU discussion?

And why is this taking place in Austin? Surely Chris could more conveniently have the minions fly to him in LA.

Thanks for the confirmations, Sandi.

When you're talking about looming layoffs, the end times etc, you have to do it face to face. I guess.

The fact that it's taking place in Austin (where Tony Z is located) is interesting. Maybe that's going to be the focus of yet another set of layoffs.

AbstractNapper posted:

Merging SQ42 with Star Citizen would make sense. It's idiotic for them to keep to making two games when they practically and provenly can't handle developing one, while the project management is chaotic due to parpy Chris and marketing stuff is taking up all or most of their resources.

However, it would be another link in their chain of broken promises and they have already sold SQ42 as separate packets to get more moneys. It also dramatically reduces the scope of SQ42 (lol 3 episodes with hours and hours of missions and gameplay).

I was more interested in SQ42 than whatever impractical and unfeasable stuff they were dreaming about their MMO.

I am glad that I got out before SQ42 implodes and "is now in the game".

As I said on Twitter earlier today, I can't wait to see how CIG/RSI explain to backers why SQ42 is part of Star Citizen via a menu (like AC and Star Marine). tbh, it's a good idea cuz SQ42 was always standalone anyway. they just have to disable network parts & run it like the single-player hangar. Or they could retain networking, host it like AC/SM and bring back co-op play. that would require refactoring the missions though.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, despite SQ42 being single-player and having been split from SC as a separate game, some are acting as if this would be normal if true. Mind blown.

In fact, they're thinking that just because it's just a menu option, that's it's the same thing. This despite the fact that it looks like it's going to be "just another game mode" like AC and SM.

RubberJohnny posted:

I have a theory that the SQ42 Vertical Slice was cancelled due to Infinite Warfare showing them up.

Within two months they went from "nearly done" to contradicting themselves about the nature of what the demo would even be. There's a big thing that happened in those two months and it's the launch of Infinite Warfare. A blockbuster military scifi AAA dogfighting and on foot combat game that simulates downtime between missions in your spaceship carrier and lets you freely choose which missions to do across a whole Star System, and performance-captured Game of Thrones characters, i.e exactly what SQ42 is supposed to be. It even does the more open-freeform combat situations that SQ42 is supposed to with your character movement, hacking into bots to turn them to your side, calling in air support, using turrets, even hijacking mechs, all of which is more dynamic than Star Marine combat.

Despite backers insisting SC will be insanely polished, unlike those evil publisher games, they've never put out anything polished for anyone to judge this, and I genuinely think they can't, even their pitch videos passed off as progress are buggy messes. IW is actually insanely polished and good looking, it has probably the most stunning space vistas of any released game and faces that don't look like they're melting.

So I think they realised their grand showing was poo poo compared to games actually released and chickened out, Chris then turns up to the Anniversary show announcing they're redoing the Vanduul and all their ships because they're not fidelitous enough, so they're probably redoing everything to try and stay on the bleeding edge. They can't convince anyone with gameplay, so they have to do so with graphics.

I agree with this synopsis.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

TheAgent posted:

hello

what the poo poo. how do you spend $60mm on marketing that, as far as I can tell, basically extends to a few weird fake review sites and lovely streamers.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

You can only confidently ban cheaters when you have server logs of various interactions and behaviors that betray cheating behavior. I'd put money on CIG not being anywhere close to even being able to have logs of things like that. That's the sort of thing you can do once you start getting your network and server behavior in some kind of confident order, which they don't appear anywhere near. You should be setting up infrastructure for that as part of your fundamental network design right from the start, but it seems pretty clear CIG is just slamming things together as fast as they can just to make stuff work. This is why they are talking about needing video evidence of cheats. Any well thought out cheat resistant networking setup would allow them to look back at internal records to verify a cheat report.

Not only that, but reviewing footage to find cheaters is almost useless against anyone who knows what they are doing, and only serves to rile up the community. Before Rainbow Six: Siege implemented cheat detection, the subreddit would get 10-12 posts a day calling someone out as a cheater and everyone would just argue whether the clip was cheating, lag, or a glitch. Hell, there was a super popular R6:S streamer who ultimately got banned for cheating and he was loving streaming the whole time.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

TheAgent posted:

hello

10-15 million is not expensive?

Yep, this guy is/was definitely CIG, he shows the signs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheAgent posted:

hello

That smells like bullshit. We've gone over the the MoCap numbers and they seem to add up on our end. I have no idea what this guy is on about.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

BinaryDoubts posted:

what the poo poo. how do you spend $60mm on marketing that, as far as I can tell, basically extends to a few weird fake review sites and lovely streamers.
I'm assuming they are talking about the gamescom/anniversary demos too in that figure

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

10-15 million is not expensive?

Yep, this guy is/was definitely CIG, he shows the signs.

It's only disposable backing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MarcusSA posted:

That smells like bullshit. We've gone over the the MoCap numbers and they seem to add up on our end. I have no idea what this guy is on about.

Yeah I agree. There is no way in hell that mocap for this lavish production cost $10-15 million.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

BinaryDoubts posted:

By funneling backer money to yourself and friends through massively padded invoices. "Internal marketing" seems like a massive red-flag there, especially when you consider how little actual external advertising has been done. It isn't like they've taken out SuperBowl spots.

How much can you possibly legitimately spend advertising your own product to your own staff who are developing it? Have they created a Brazil-esque mind control environment where Full Burn plays around the clock with "You love Star Citizen" backmasked into it? And holy lol does it not bode well for the quality of your game that you have to do internal promotion because staff won't play it of their own accord.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

In honor of their most recent (and blatant) Archering

i can't loving breathe

goon avalanche strikes again

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beet Wagon posted:

Not only that, but reviewing footage to find cheaters is almost useless against anyone who knows what they are doing, and only serves to rile up the community. Before Rainbow Six: Siege implemented cheat detection, the subreddit would get 10-12 posts a day calling someone out as a cheater and everyone would just argue whether the clip was cheating, lag, or a glitch. Hell, there was a super popular R6:S streamer who ultimately got banned for cheating and he was loving streaming the whole time.

It seems to me that if you were going to build a mmo type game from the ground up, cheat detection would be part of the bedrock foundation, especially if people are spending tens of thousands of dollars to play. It's almost as if the person designing this game hadn't been involved in the video game industry for the last twelve or fourteen years

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The Rabbi T. White posted:

By funneling backer money to yourself and friends through massively padded invoices. "Internal marketing" seems like a massive red-flag there, especially when you consider how little actual external advertising has been done. It isn't like they've taken out SuperBowl spots.

How much can you possibly legitimately spend advertising your own product to your own staff who are developing it? Have they created a Brazil-esque mind control environment where Full Burn plays around the clock with "You love Star Citizen" backmasked into it? And holy lol does it not bode well for the quality of your game that you have to do internal promotion because staff won't play it of their own accord.

bingo

you look at this project and show me where $60 million in marketing was spent, unless that rumor's false

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

hot balls man no homo posted:

It seems to me that if you were going to build a mmo type game from the ground up, cheat detection would be part of the bedrock foundation, especially if people are spending tens of thousands of dollars to play. It's almost as if the person designing this game hadn't been involved in the video game industry for the last twelve or fourteen years

You very obviously don't understand games development, my friend.

Do not worry, it is a common affliction.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
CIG is missing out on a grand opportunity to add Cheat Detection as a $150,000,000.00 stretch goal.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

BinaryDoubts posted:

Paying a professional pick up artist and Wolf Larsen for use of his nerd slaves is expensive business.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

i can't loving breathe

My favorite part of this is that everybody contributed something. Still needs a sign that says "Dirk Shart" and has a big red circle with a line through it lmao

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

i can't loving breathe

I like how there's a bit of everyone in it.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

My favorite part of this is that everybody contributed something. Still needs a sign that says "Dirk Shart" and has a big red circle with a line through it lmao

Don't forget moma's avatar somewhere.
I mean, he has to be in it for it to be complete.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

I've got it, enlarge the thermostat and replace its dial with the HONESTY dial (enlarge so HONESTY is readable).

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

aww poo poo, took me a while.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Yeah I agree. There is no way in hell that mocap for this lavish production cost $10-15 million.

No one here has any clue how much it cost.

The made up number of sixty million is just as wrong as the made up number of fifteen.

They are going to take the real number to the grave. (It will get lost like the Russian FIFA bids got lost).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
OK that's disturbing AF

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh good, the Google bots are working.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh good, the Google bots are working.

For a second there i was reading that in the Emperors voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Haha. That's a funny font, it looks like it's spelled cult..