Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hammerite posted:

What did they do? I assume they are US ones and won't work on my game or I would just try them.

They each give you double points toward Island Scan. I don't know if they're region-locked though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

oddium posted:

looks good

thanks

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So before I sink three hours into it, did anyone watch that GDQ live speedrun of Emerald and was it worth watching?
Direct link: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/113536780?t=11h40m00s

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
In no particular order:

(Oricorio) (F) @ Charti Berry
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

I want to believe in the Dancer. Hurricane is mostly useless. I'm gonna replace it with Air Slash. Tailwind is always good.

(Tapu Lele) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Got to have some Terrain support, if only to mess with someone else's team. Being able to juke Aqua Jets is good stuff.

(Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Yawn
- Sludge Bomb

Drought setter. Bulky, and people don't seem to realize that it's SpecD deficient. Yawn support is always good.

(Volcarona) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

One of the lead. Sun-boosted Flamethrowers are tough, and if they can let me get up Oricorio-mimicked Quivers, it might as well be GG.

(Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 72 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Usually used for speed-boosted Sleep Powders, but Mega-ing is a good trap card as an anti-ice defense.

(Gastrodon) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Water sucker, Ice Beamer. Scald and EQ have been used, like, twice, ever.

Lead with Volcarona and Torkoal. Volcarona melts something, Torkoal Yawns or switches into Tapu/Oricorio. The Tapu and Gastrodon are my anti-drizzlers. Biggest problems are stupid fucker things that should be banned already. (Sidebar: give me a metagame that has no legendaries.) I think I could lose Oricorio -- I want Knock Off support. And something that can deal with Solar Power Heliolisk -- that thing just destroyed me.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

For all the steps forward Sun/Moon made, it's disappointing they still have limited use/quantities of evolution items.

This is true. I've heard some refer to evolution as simply being "exposed" to a special stone, and it plain doesn't make sense that the stone just vaporizes after use.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Actually the Pokemen eat and digest the evolution items to evolve.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Poor Scyther

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Countblanc posted:

Poor Scyther

How do you think it grows the metal exoskeleton?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Countblanc posted:

Poor Scyther

I feel worse for King's Rock pokemon

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

that ivy guy posted:

This is true. I've heard some refer to evolution as simply being "exposed" to a special stone, and it plain doesn't make sense that the stone just vaporizes after use.

I figured they absorb whatever energy it is, and the stone doesn't dissolve, but it's basically just a useless rock afterwards.

Now if you could find a big elemental stone sticking out of the ground, like the Leafeon and Glaceon evolutions, you could evolve stuff all day.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

TVs Ian posted:

I figured they absorb whatever energy it is, and the stone doesn't dissolve, but it's basically just a useless rock afterwards.

Now if you could find a big elemental stone sticking out of the ground, like the Leafeon and Glaceon evolutions, you could evolve stuff all day.

Stone Preservation Movement, these evolution stones are a finite resource. We must prevent over eager trainers from tapping their resources indiscriminately! Say no to Glaceon overpopulation, and Leafeon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm still annoyed Gamefreak's insistence of avoiding some sort of evolution paradox by forcing any new evolutions of an old pokemon have a new method. I should be able to evolve eevee to leafeon with a leaf stone, and now that there's an ice stone to evolve alola Vulpix and Sandshrew, why is there still an ice rock for glaceon?

it's not like rejiggering evolutions are out of the question - Feebas went from beauty to trade w/ item due to beauty getting the axe. Yet in HG/SS you couldn't evolve to Leafeon or Glaceon because there was no mossy or ice rock.

Same goes for the inconsistency among baby pokemon.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I'm still annoyed Gamefreak's insistence of avoiding some sort of evolution paradox by forcing any new evolutions of an old pokemon have a new method. I should be able to evolve eevee to leafeon with a leaf stone, and now that there's an ice stone to evolve alola Vulpix and Sandshrew, why is there still an ice rock for glaceon?

it's not like rejiggering evolutions are out of the question - Feebas went from beauty to trade w/ item due to beauty getting the axe. Yet in HG/SS you couldn't evolve to Leafeon or Glaceon because there was no mossy or ice rock.

They are babies leave them alone

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

So before I sink three hours into it, did anyone watch that GDQ live speedrun of Emerald and was it worth watching?
Direct link: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/113536780?t=11h40m00s
I just watched it, it was pretty great. Shenanigans and other good commentators on the couch really giving a lot of interesting background info, and a solid runner too. Recommended if you're into glitchless Pokémon speedruns, and if you haven't watched one before you'll find out if it's your thing quickly enough.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxyclean posted:

You're right all of Eevee's evo's should be stone ones. We've got enough stones to do it.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're right all of Eevee's evo's should be stone ones. We've got enough stones to do it.

Umbreon: Dusk
Espeon: Dawn
Sylveon: Shiny
Leafeon: Leaf
Glaceon: Ice

Hey, that even leaves us with Sun and Moon stones for future evolutions.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alternatively, use Sun for Espeon and Moon for Umbreon, due to the whole Day and Night thing?

Also, if they ever do a normal type eeveelution, it should totally involve an everstone in some way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

tyblazitar posted:

Umbreon: Dusk
Espeon: Dawn
Sylveon: Shiny
Leafeon: Leaf
Glaceon: Ice

Hey, that even leaves us with Sun and Moon stones for future evolutions.

Umbreon and Espeon should be Moon and sun stone. They evolve at night/day respectively.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 10, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Umbreon and Espeon should be Moon and sun stone. They evolve at night/day respectively. Leave

They're also literally called the Sun and Moon Pokémon

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
I figured Dusk and Dawn had the same theme going, and Dusk seemed appropriate for Umbreon, but sure. Dusk and Dawn stones left over for Gen VIII!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

just roll all the eevees into one and make the evos into forms you can switch at will

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

TVs Ian posted:

I think it would be a nice touch then if the stone transformed into an Everstone or Hard Stone after use

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I would like to perform the Mew glitch as demonstrated in these videos, but I have already defeated both of the trainers used for the second encounter. Is there another one I could use, and if there are multiple, which one is closest to Cerulean City?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Say hit to the new UU!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

I called mine The Surly Bird.

How about the Tiki Tiki Doom?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

necrozma in UU??? what the gently caress is this list

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
keldeo being UU is my "favorite"

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Ariong posted:

I would like to perform the Mew glitch as demonstrated in these videos, but I have already defeated both of the trainers used for the second encounter. Is there another one I could use, and if there are multiple, which one is closest to Cerulean City?

I haven't done it any other way than the regular two, but my understanding is that mew glitch generates based on the special stat of the Pokemon last fought. If you get a pokemon with a special stat that corresponds to mew (Bulbapedia should have the list), you can fight a ditto and get it to transform. When it transforms it gets the special stat of the Pokemon it transformed into and the game will count that the same as any of the ones used for the normal glitch. You will then be able to use any long range trainer to generate a mew. It's just those two have Pokemon who already have the correct stat.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

tyblazitar posted:

I just watched it, it was pretty great. Shenanigans and other good commentators on the couch really giving a lot of interesting background info, and a solid runner too. Recommended if you're into glitchless Pokémon speedruns, and if you haven't watched one before you'll find out if it's your thing quickly enough.

Cheers for the recommendation. I have a soft spot for Emerald but I'd feared it would be a rather dry affair compared to TAS-runs and last year's Red/Blue race. Good commentators can be enough to make a speed-run worthwhile.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ariong posted:

The Bulbapedia page goes really deep, and the Glitch City Laboratories page isn't much better, but what it boils down to is that:
    1) The first trainer is only used to set the flag and then fly away
    2) Something that counts as a second trainer is necessary at some point - this can be an actual trainer or use a PC, get your menu back, and push a Strength boulder (flying to Fuschia is probably best, there's one in the Warden's building)
    3) The Pokemon you encounter when you walk back to the first trainer's area is based on the Special stat of the last Pokemon you fought. You can manipulate that either with a wild Ditto transforming into something you need or with a specific trainer (or with a wild encounter) or with a lucky random encounter
You need the right Special stat, basically. If those two are gone, it looks like the only other trainer option is to force a switch out on the bottom lady of the stack of four in that area with the Gambler and kill her first Pokemon last. I would absolutely recommend using a wild Ditto and a pokemon of your own with either 21 or 21+256=277 Special instead.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Only recently started playing Sun but I have to say that I have a new best friend forever. His name is Golisopod and he is strong and smart and great

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Looks like all those cuckolds in the old UU tier just got cucked by the big cuckold cuck monster. Cuckold.

gently caress you

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Someone edit in the Tapus laughing at this list.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Smogon tiers continue to be bad

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Smogon tiers continue to be bad

Mind elaborating, or is this just "lolsmogon"?

It's early in the format, and this is purely by usage rates, without bans established, and it's also still a period where everyone's trying all the shiny new stuff. That said, I wish that UU wasn't turning into ORAS OU, but I guess that just means I'll be playing RU and NU now, or something. Or they'll make a new tier somewhere.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

As I write this, I'm fighting what I'm pretty sure is like, the fifteenth one of the same pokemon in a row. Two of my dudes have now been knocked out trying to catch one low level wild pokemon. Whoever decided Pokemon should be able to call for help should never touch a video game again. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if you could at least throw a ball before its next attempt to call for help.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Honestly it's probably a good time to change the criterion for usage tiers on Smogon. Like, right now the way tiers are calculated is based on a cutoff of "50% chance to see a Pokemon on a team in games against X random opponents" or whatever. The thing is, suppose there's 10 Pokemon that are all equally good and in 10 random games you have a 80% chance to see a particular one of them. And then they add 4 more to the pool. Repeat 5 times. If every one of those Pokemon were all equally good, all of a sudden the chance to see any particular one of those Pokemon in 10 random games plummets. Basically, the cutoff is unsustainable as more Pokemon at similar power levels are added.

The way Smogon's always done it is just by adding more tiers, but at this point it probably makes more sense to just start making the tiers bigger. And honestly it would have made more sense from the beginning if they said like "UU is anything that's not top 30 most used Pokemon in OU, and RU is anything not top 30 most used in UU" and just made those cutoffs bigger as time went on. As is, the average usage rate of any individual Pokemon goes down every generation because the pool keeps getting bigger, which means the tiers actually get smaller over time.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

man nurse posted:

As I write this, I'm fighting what I'm pretty sure is like, the fifteenth one of the same pokemon in a row. Two of my dudes have now been knocked out trying to catch one low level wild pokemon. Whoever decided Pokemon should be able to call for help should never touch a video game again. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if you could at least throw a ball before its next attempt to call for help.

Try paralyzing them. Or poison. Or sleep. Or burn. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

As unbalanced as they can get, I prefer to just stick with Battle Spot ladders since I waited many years for officially sanctioned in-game competition and I like supporting those.

I'm sure OU/UU/etc. are super fun or whatever but they don't appeal to me, so let the Smogon community have their fun and committees and votes and supermajorities etc.