Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
New day, new tournament. Here's my most recent advice on it:

Malgrin posted:

Squad Tournament

Some pointers: Wait a few hours to enter. The biggest whales like to get started right away. You'll still have some 6 hours later, but not a lot. New shards are created about every 5000 players. Recent tournaments have had no refreshes, so you can wait as long as you want to join, but you probably need 2-3 hours of attacking if you want to climb to the top. My preference is to join after about 10 PM Pacific as people are going to bed around then, midnight to one is great. I don't attack though, I then wait until morning. This way, everyone in my shard is earning points, but not me. When I wake up, I start attacking, and I have a whole bunch of easy targets before I start hitting the hard ones. This lets me use cheap teams that don't cost tons of AP (they start at free, then 100 AP per hero per refresh and scale upwards of 1k). At the start of each tournament, I outline the squads I want and plan ahead with mods. Depending on the shard, I'll run anywhere from 2 to 4 moderate teams (think Tier 3 and below heroes), and then my top 3 squads (as of this writing, Empire, Rebels, Droids). Here's what my notes looked like for the most recent tournament (DV's ship):

Key: (weak, middle, strong)
W1: CC, Teebo, EE, JC, GS
W2: AA, Leia, Poe, Lumi, Ahsoka
W3: Phasma, FOTP, Daka, Rey, Nebit
M: JKA, Barriss, QGJ, Yoda, Fives
S3: HK, 88, 86, K2, JE
S2: Wiggs, Lando, STH, Boba
S1: EP, Vader, TFP, RG, Shore

Leftover: Dathcha, Eeth, RP, Tarkin, Dengar, Scavenger, Poggle, Dooku, Luke, HRS

I started by modding S3 with my best mods, and W1 with my second best mods. I climbed to 1k per hero per refresh with W1, and then moved those mods over to W2. After they got close to 1k, I hit a point where I couldn't progress much farther, so I moved mods to W3 and started attacking with S3. Every now and then, I hit a team comp I could beat with W3 and moved in with them. I ran S3 up to 1k per and moved to S2, repeated, and moved on to S1, where I just attacked until I ran out of time. I never actually ended up using M, and barely used W3, so I might cut out W1 and W2, or do some consolidation there, so that I just have 5 teams for tournaments where I'm going deep. If I'm not going deep for a tournament, I'll probably run 7-8 teams up to 250 per hero per refresh and call it good -- roughly 20k AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Do we know if it's 1k or 2.5k cap format?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Hey IGD folks, just kicked off another rancor raid. Damage phase is tomorrow 8 am pacific. Start was a little late, so I'm letting people know here.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Jedi Anakin is a dream, why did Satan put him on one HM shard.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
He is in cantina 7G too. Probably out of reach for a new-ish players though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Mr. Neutron posted:

He is in cantina 7G too. Probably out of reach for a new-ish players though.

HE SURE IS

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The thing you need right now in order to get ahead is always the thing you're going to need to get ahead a bit in order to get.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

Do we know if it's 1k or 2.5k cap format?

Its cap is higher than 1k. I haven't brought any squads higher than that yet though. This means that you get 1x free, 2x 100, 2x 250, etc. From 1k, it jumps to 1500 and goes up by 500 from there, I think to 2500, but could be 5k. Don't remember.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is there an up-to-date priority list on GW characters to farm? What I've got:

Lumi
Teebo
Biggs
Datcha
RP
Phasma

Leaves me to farm:
Poggle- 3/100 -seems like the obvious choice next
Cad - 9/50 (my scoundrels for now are ST Han, Fett, Lando, 88, Chewy)
Initiate - 2/10
Magmatrooper - 10/25
Raider - 21/50

I kind of don't see a reason to work at the NS Initiate or the Tusken Raider and will switch to ships, instead? Should I bother with Cad?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

tadashi posted:

Poggle- 3/100 -seems like the obvious choice next
Cad - 9/50 (my scoundrels for now are ST Han, Fett, Lando, 88, Chewy)
Initiate - 2/10
Magmatrooper - 10/25
Raider - 21/50

I kind of don't see a reason to work at the NS Initiate or the Tusken Raider and will switch to ships, instead? Should I bother with Cad?

At this point I would farm ships. None of the rest are worth it -- Geo squads aren't really good, and Jawas complement droids better than Poggle now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

At this point I would farm ships. None of the rest are worth it -- Geo squads aren't really good, and Jawas complement droids better than Poggle now.

concur

Just farm ships.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Saw this bounty hunter team in my arena today. Underpowered for its rank and I can't come close to beating it. I like that this guy saw the potential in Boba's lead and ran with it:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

Saw this bounty hunter team in my arena today. Underpowered for its rank and I can't come close to beating it. I like that this guy saw the potential in Boba's lead and ran with it:

Here's G11 with mods and Denger in place of Zam care of reddit.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 10, 2017

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
And here is a video of them taking on meta squads.

Looks like a very fun and viable team. Probably crumbles on defense however.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
How many shards do you get when you get a character you already have? I understand it varies by character but it's not based on what I thought it was.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

How many shards do you get when you get a character you already have? I understand it varies by character but it's not based on what I thought it was.

A 4* hero grants you 32 shards (I just checked this based on my second unlock of Jyn). I think a 3* is around 20. A 2* is about 10, and I think a 1* is 6.

Correct me if you know the right numbers.

e: The first three all work out to .4, which might just be the ratio, in which case the 1* would be 4, but I feel like you get 6 from the 1*, so you might get more from the 2* as well. Not sure about 3*.

e2: Just got an answer, it's 32, 25, 15, 7.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 11, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
1 star is 7 thats what RG breaks down to.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
I have qgj boba and ahsoka from cantina store. Should i buy some ship credits for awhile or go for Fives?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

I have qgj boba and ahsoka from cantina store. Should i buy some ship credits for awhile or go for Fives?

Fives

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

Allrighty then.

Thanks for all the help throughout the past few months (applicable to anyone else who has provided advice as well), it's helped out a ton to keep me competitive in Arena and prevent me from wasting resources. Just hit 80 today and up until the past week or so I had been top 10 in arena every day no question.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

Allrighty then.

Thanks for all the help throughout the past few months (applicable to anyone else who has provided advice as well), it's helped out a ton to keep me competitive in Arena and prevent me from wasting resources. Just hit 80 today and up until the past week or so I had been top 10 in arena every day no question.

I mean, getting ship money isn't bad, but Fives isn't a bad hero to have in your roster, especially if goons ever start clearing AAT (Fives is a beast with General Kenobi lead). He's not amazing though, so if you need to do better in ship arena it might be worth buying a lot of ship credits. I doubt you'll have the materials to level/gear him anytime soon, so I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Boozie posted:

Ship credits seem to me to be a very poor value. I'm not sure what level you are, but daka may also be worth getting.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

Malgrin posted:

I mean, getting ship money isn't bad, but Fives isn't a bad hero to have in your roster, especially if goons ever start clearing AAT (Fives is a beast with General Kenobi lead). He's not amazing though, so if you need to do better in ship arena it might be worth buying a lot of ship credits. I doubt you'll have the materials to level/gear him anytime soon, so I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

That was kind of my thought. Basically I need a ton of ship credits to get me to Zetas and I don't want to be late to get there for my arena bracket. I do know that Fives is solid to have so I couldn't make up my mind between the two.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Cactus posted:

The thing you need right now in order to get ahead is always the thing you're going to need to get ahead a bit in order to get.

And the thing you will really need in the end was the thing you should have farmed in level 1 or 2 all along.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Clone team is the next meta team.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
IGD, I kicked off a tank raid. P2 damage starts at 8 am pacific time tomorrow morning.

Davethulhu posted:

Ship credits seem to me to be a very poor value. I'm not sure what level you are, but daka may also be worth getting.

Here are the exact values. 2000 arena currency nets you 1 million credits. 2000 cantina credits only nets you 420k ship materials. The cost to level a ship and a character are, I believe, the same.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Sweet. Military Might event soon! I can finally complete it now that I have a super Rebels team.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Three days notice isn't enough time to get a 7th star from arena tokens. Bastards.

Unless the event lasts a week...? I have Wigs&Lando, STHan at 7 stars and leia at 6, will I be able to do it? All G8 except Han at G9, 2 slots away from ten.

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002

Davethulhu posted:

Here are the exact values. 2000 arena currency nets you 1 million credits. 2000 cantina credits only nets you 420k ship materials. The cost to level a ship and a character are, I believe, the same.

I'm buying it exclusively because I don't know another way to get ship credits ...

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Ship credits are hard to find, I have been buying them with every refresh of the cantina store for weeks.

So is jyn any good at 4*? If only k2 wasn't android exclusive I would be able to make a full rogue 1 squad, though all at crappy star levels

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

two_step posted:

Ship credits are hard to find, I have been buying them with every refresh of the cantina store for weeks.

So is jyn any good at 4*? If only k2 wasn't android exclusive I would be able to make a full rogue 1 squad, though all at crappy star levels

I spent every cantina credit I earned in the double rewards days and every day since on ship credits. I only have 1 max level ship (Biggs).

I recently stopped to start building Ahsoka, and 6*'ed her today. I'll probably go back to buying ship credits when she's done until my base 9 are all 85.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It is much better to have 6 or 7 60-70s than one 85.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Cactus posted:

Three days notice isn't enough time to get a 7th star from arena tokens. Bastards.

Unless the event lasts a week...? I have Wigs&Lando, STHan at 7 stars and leia at 6, will I be able to do it? All G8 except Han at G9, 2 slots away from ten.

I think they actually posted about this one in December.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

It is much better to have 6 or 7 60-70s than one 85.

Every ship I field is at least 70. I hit that benchmark before pushing Biggs to max. I usually finish top 10, and sometimes snipe a top 5er. 1 and 2 on my ship shard are whales and there's no way I can beat their bullshit.

Malgrin posted:

They should send push notification or have them in the event list a month out. Expecting people to read the official forums for a fuckin' phone game is like putting instructions on the side of a box of pop-tarts.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 11, 2017

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of K2SO, I'm almost done with Vader so will be looking for a new focus from the shard shop soon. I wasn't able to clear the bonus tiers of the K2 event so ended up with him at 6*; is he worth spending shard points to finish up, or should I go straight into the Grievous grind?

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
I should do EP to G9 before Boba right? Stinks that Boba takes 2 pieces of raid gear to get to 9.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Now that I've got Lando to GXI, I'm going to shift my gearing to TFP (GIX), Boba Fett (GVIII), and Darth Vader (GVIII)

Still gotta do droids too; god drat, son.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Malgrin posted:

That'll teach me to pay attention. Actually is there any kind of long-term calendar of upcoming events anywhere?

Chilichimp posted:

They should send push notification or have them in the event list a month out. Expecting people to read the official forums for a fuckin' phone game is like putting instructions on the side of a box of pop-tarts.

I mean you're right, but if I care enough to be mildly pissed off about it then I care enough to look on the drat forums. I go there to recruit for my guild so it isn't too much of a stretch.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 12, 2017

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Cactus posted:

That'll teach me to pay attention. Actually is there any kind of long-term calendar of upcoming events anywhere?

I mean you're right, but if I care enough to be mildly pissed off about it then I care enough to look on the drat forums. I go there to recruit for my guild so it isn't too much of a stretch.

They posted a full series of them in November. This is the last we know of..

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/76100/event-information/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That was all I could find yeah. I suppose providing players with enough info to farm ahead would cut into revenue gained from impulse purchases. The joys of freemium.