Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
poo poo, he made that? That movie I would not just among his best.

But still, I'm giving him 4 great to 2 mediocre films, a 2:1 ratio, with no real bad films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

greatn posted:

poo poo, he made that?

Nope.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Written by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, directed by the guy behind Superbad.

All in all a dissapointing effort. Pegg also wrote the latest Star Trek right? Not so good a track record I guess.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Paul is fine, but World's End has that great out-of-nowhere reveal. It's amazing watching that film blind, or watching someone else watch it for the first time. Since it's not as highly regarded, no one should remember the trailers for it now, if it ever spoiled it (I don't remember seeing any trailers for it).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shageletic posted:

Whoops! My bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think the trailers spoiled anything. They just made it look like a bunch of buddies out to drink all the beer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The World's End is legitimately my favorite movie, um, ever, and you guys are really underselling it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shaun of the Dead is usually the favourite but Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim are way more rewatchable for me. Just watched Hot Fuzz this past weekend, actually. Man, I love that film.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought Ant-Man was pretty great.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You don't need half a dozen films to introduce the idea of an ensemble of superheroes working together.

No, but it helps, and the DCU movies could use some. Look at Suicide Squad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

No, but it helps, and the DCU movies could use some. Look at Suicide Squad.

Suicide Squad just needed better writing. You don't need previous movies to create strong, indelible characters. Just look at The Magnificent Seven or Predator.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

Suicide Squad just needed better writing. You don't need previous movies to create strong, indelible characters. Just look at The Magnificent Seven or Predator.

Mystery Men is another good example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Most films introduce their entire cast in a single film prior to the invention of the ~cinematic universe.~ You don't really need a developing film for every character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think if you know those characters are going to get their own movies anyway it makes more sense to have those movies first so your ensemble movie doesn't have too much introduction in it. Especially since the entire appeal of Justice League and Avengers as concepts are "all these big heroes you already know coming together". Even the DCAU had the Justice League show come after the Superman and Batman cartoons. It's a sensible approach when you're working with a shared universe. Sure, a standalone justice league movie could work fine, but only if it was, indeed, meant to be standalone.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

While I agree it's not absolutely needed in most film's, I do think it helps prevent tonal whiplash in super hero team-ups when the individual character's origin's range from rich vigilante, to alien, to science experiment, to literal magic user. Granted, this might not have been as big of a deal for Avenger's outside of Thor, considering how they tied so many of the characters to the government and super-soldier program. I do worry Justice League will have this problem, especially in light of their previous in-universe films where simple character motivation couldn't be adequately explored within the confines of a single film, much less the backstory needed to allow adequate suspension of disbelief.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the Justice League characters are a level of famous above what the Avengers were going into things and will manage fine.

Maybe not Cyborg, but then again he has two cartoons.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I think the Justice League characters are a level of famous above what the Avengers were going into things and will manage fine.

Maybe not Cyborg, but then again he has two cartoons.

Relying on public knowledge of a famous character is fine, but that went out the window for DC when the plot of their introductory film revolved around a character with a no-kill policy trying to kill a man he'd never met.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 10, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Batman could have flown a fighter jet through a warehouse district blowing up trucks with gatling guns and missiles and it wouldn't affect anyone's recognition of Batman.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Arist posted:

The World's End is legitimately my favorite movie, um, ever, and you guys are really underselling it.

It's loving genius, his best film by far. Not the easiest to embrace exactly, no but certainly the most poignant and satisfying. And impeccably constructed.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I think Batman could have flown a fighter jet through a warehouse district blowing up trucks with gatling guns and missiles and it wouldn't affect anyone's recognition of Batman.

They'd recognize him, but if warehouse murder was the central plot, they might question why the change in interpretation.

But to go back to my original point, tone is also a major consideration. People might recognize Bugs Bunny, but if he appeared part way through Justice League to help save the day, it'd still raise eyebrows. Though, I suppose that is exactly what they did with Wonder Woman in BvS.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
IT would've been my pretty pretty cool if there hadn't been some way to keep Wonder Woman secret before BvS came out so her appearance could have been a big surprise. That would have been fun. Not really possible these days, unfortunately.

I guess maybe the CGI character stuff in Rogue One is the closest but I imagine it was spoiled in advance as well (I didn't follow much news about it beforehand I saw it).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

They'd recognize him, but if warehouse murder was the central plot, they might question why the change in interpretation.

But to go back to my original point, tone is also a major consideration. People might recognize Bugs Bunny, but if he appeared part way through Justice League to help save the day, it'd still raise eyebrows. Though, I suppose that is exactly what they did with Wonder Woman in BvS.

Man, I wish I could remember the movie, but there was one where a director talked about how he wanted to do a straight action movie but at the very end Spider-Man shows up to save the hero and I always thought that would be amazing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I wish I could remember the movie, but there was one where a director talked about how he wanted to do a straight action movie but at the very end Spider-Man shows up to save the hero and I always thought that would be amazing.

Not really what I was saying, but if your going for comedy or surrealism, then yeah, that could be amazing. That said, if the director, writer, actors, etc. have done their job and gotten the audience invested in the protagonist, they tend to want to see the protagonist resolve the plot through their actions, not be saved by a newly introduced deus ex machina. Granted, I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to that rule, but it requires a certain amount of talent to pull off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I once nearly convinced my film student friend to end his bleak relationship drama short by having the main character suddenly heat vision his girlfriend's head off.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shageletic posted:

All in all a dissapointing effort. Pegg also wrote the latest Star Trek right? Not so good a track record I guess.

Star Trek Beyond is easily the best Star Trek film since The Undiscovered Country. Granted, that's not saying much. The only decent Star Trek films after that are First Contact and the reboot, but Beyond was great. Didn't do well though, I think. Having almost no marketing probably didn't help.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Veotax posted:

Star Trek Beyond is easily the best Star Trek film since The Undiscovered Country. Granted, that's not saying much. The only decent Star Trek films after that are First Contact and the reboot, but Beyond was great. Didn't do well though, I think. Having almost no marketing probably didn't help.

It also had a trailer than Pegg himself said was total poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6-8OXVnCvQ&t=71s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
DC should just fire Snyder, can the live action line and just do an all Lego dcu

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They put the entire Wonder Woman scene in the trailer because they knew that was the only good part of the movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Monaghan posted:

It also had a trailer than Pegg himself said was total poo poo.
It might as well have been a F&F trailer for how much of the scene of Kirk on the motorcycle was in it and not much else

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ImpAtom posted:

I think it was Scott Kurtz who said he would watch infinitely more procedural TV programmes if one of them randomly had at the end "Batman/The Punisher just shows up to solve the mystery."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Veotax posted:

Beyond is also one of the best ensemble movies in a while. It better than any other gives everyone something to do. Everyone has their own part of the story that comes together. You get more unlikely pairings than likely ones, and most importantly, everyone has something to do that if removed, would make the story less coherent.

Even Older Trek movies are kind of bad in not letting anyone other than Kirk, Spock and McCoy do anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, Oscar nominations bellwether the Producer's Guild of America put Deadpool on its short list for their top prize.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This has been a great year for high tier movies, so if Deadpool manages to somehow get an Oscar nod then the Oscars are stupider than previously thought. That it's with the other movies on that list is laughable. And I loved Deadpool.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 10, 2017

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I look forward to every appearance from now introducing him as Oscar Nominated Deadpool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a screenplay nod.

edit: sure enough, the Writer's Guild gave it a nod for Adapted Screenplay.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 10, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't believe that's for the Oscars themselves if I'm reading things right.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Van Wilder is up for an Oscar folks, carry on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I don't believe that's for the Oscars themselves if I'm reading things right.

No, and the post says as much. Just the Producer's Guild usually is a good barometer of what's getting an Oscar nod. Deadpool being listed alongside those other movies is laughable and if it were to get an Oscar nod it would make the Oscars even more of a joke.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ah, I see what you mean. I don't normally pay attention to the Oscars at all, so I wasn't aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a screenplay nod.

edit: sure enough, the Writer's Guild gave it a nod for Adapted Screenplay.

Is it close, at all, to any single run of Deadpool?

• Locked thread