Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

whyyyyyyyyyyyy do 7:30 classes exist?

more to the point, why am I unable to sleep before them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Surely there are ads in the back of classic car magazines for buying imperial bolts?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Of all the technical, complex stuff I do, replacing three-way light switches never fails to screw me over.

gently caress three-way light switches.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

poo poo, I thought I was scheduled for a 10:15 root canal, but they had me down for a 2:15. The worst part about going to the endodontist is going twice.

e. Well, that and the $6 I pumped into the parking meter that I won't be getting back.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

Of all the technical, complex stuff I do, replacing three-way light switches never fails to screw me over.

gently caress three-way light switches.

I think this is why the PO of my house just painted the three-way light switches instead of buy white ones when he went to redecorate.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
3 way and 4 way light switches are dumb simple. Use a multimeter to figure out which is the common terminal, or if it's broken completely, open it up and figure it out. 3ways are literally just an SPDT toggle, 4ways are a DPDT prewired to either run the two wires straight through, or cross them over internally.

Tomarse - I have no idea how to ship things internationally or pay duties but if you can get me a list of poo poo you want for your assortment, I can buy grade 8 fasteners by the pound at TSC and mail them to you. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1" UNC are all in stock in many lengths, if you need UNF or 7/16 you might be toast. Also, try ordering from boltdepot.com if it will let you, they are awesome and stock drat near everything you could ever want and the prices are great, especially if you don't mind stocking up just a little. They're my go-to for metric stateside since I have the opposite problem, but they do cover UN threads pretty well too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I paid my student loans off recently thanks to my mum. She always felt awful that I had a massive student loan and she wasn't able to help, and one of our last conversations was about how she was at least glad that she'd be able to take care of that when she passed and she was glad that I wouldn't be paying $3000/month for 2 years to pay them off on my own

It's bittersweet :saddowns:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

3 way and 4 way light switches are dumb simple. Use a multimeter to figure out which is the common terminal, or if it's broken completely, open it up and figure it out. 3ways are literally just an SPDT toggle, 4ways are a DPDT prewired to either run the two wires straight through, or cross them over internally.

If I wanted to go all the way into the garage to grabe the meter, that would have been fine, but I was just switching out a standard Leviton switch for a Decora Leviton switch. I just swapped wire-for-wire and it was all hosed up. Bottom line was that the two switches were wired differently and one of the common's placement on the Decora switch was different. Just never fails, though... 3 way switches always end up taking more time than they should. :shrug:

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I paid my student loans off recently thanks to my mum. She always felt awful that I had a massive student loan and she wasn't able to help, and one of our last conversations was about how she was at least glad that she'd be able to take care of that when she passed and she was glad that I wouldn't be paying $3000/month for 2 years to pay them off on my own

Congratulations, TT. That's a big investment in your future, so thanks to your mom.

In less emotional news, my wife and I paid off her loans from law school in November. It's more satisfying than I thought to take enough money to buy a new Mercedes and metaphorically light it on fire. :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Never takes me that long? Hell, usually one of the three hot screws is colored differently or has a marking cast into the plastic housing indicating it's the special one. Easy!

The thing that annoys me most about those sorts of things is the drat screws into the outlet box are always a little stiff going in and I freak out wondering if I cross threaded or chowdered the threads, and also back-stabbed wiring is the loving worst and never should have been allowed by NEC, the only thing it did was make slapping together mcmansions cheaper and faster during the last real estate bubble. Hopefully some of them burn down because of that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Genuinely good thing by your mum and good for you on being responsible. That is a huge kick start on making the life of your family into a prosperous one. That is truly a great way to honor your mum.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Genuinely good thing by your mum and good for you on being responsible. That is a huge kick start on making the life of your family into a prosperous one. That is truly a great way to honor your mum.

yeah it's loving insane how huge of a kickstart this is for us. suddenly we can pay double payments on our mortgage and have a fully funded emergency fund. we've never been able to spend money without thinking "hmm it's this or some groceries which is more important" so it's going to be a whole new world for us

it's such a huge blessing i can't even begin to describe it

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Student Loans are the devil. The wife has 100k that she will never pay off because social worker but they hang over like a dark cloud. We have to file taxes separately since if we did it together they would expect her to pay thousands per month which really means I would be paying them since they would base the payment on our joint income and I make around 4 times as much as she does. Sorry to hear about your mother but it is good she was at peace before she moved on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

whyyyyyyyyyyyy do 7:30 classes exist?

more to the point, why am I unable to sleep before them?

yeuuup. I've learned that anything before 9am is a stretch.
Class doesnt start for me for another 2 weeks :D

FFFFuuuuuck student loans. I'm not there yet, but pretty sure I will be someday..

when the garage is flooded and parts are in the mail, build trucks.
the two on the far right i designed/built. left 3 are stock kits for now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tomarse posted:

Cheers guys. My issue is that I don't know what size i need as i'm working blind on a few blind holes at the back of the heads.

I've been sorting out yesterday and today and have just been through my 2 junk storage boxes containing 10 years of assorted fixings and 'bits' and I think i might have a few candidates.

I have definitely found some 3/8 UNC

95% of what I ever deal with here is metric. You can get imperial bolts - but not as easily as metric ones that I can just buy from a shop on the high street. Ordering them online in small quantities means they end up costing 10x what the metric stuff does.

We have the opposite problem here in the US, despite all of the cars and everything from China being metric. Never mind that the hardware at the local home centers are slightly harder than cheese, anyway.

edit: I've got about $9K left on my student loan, but my wife went back a couple of years ago, about to finish, and I'm in denial about what she owes. I really, really hope she gets a better job because of it.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 10, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

kastein posted:

There really needs to be a "home lighting for EEs" book and you need to write it because holy poo poo I used to be scared of them but hearing this and then looking at the below diagram has taken all the mystery out of them:

Like seriously why isn't all home wiring shown like this it's so loving easy to understand now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On Thursday night my older cat Smokie passed away. She was only 9, and my heart is broken :(

I miss her a lot already. She was my first cat.

It's been a bad couple of years for pets at my household.
Sorry to hear that man. :glomp:

It's tough. You're always going to see her out of the corner of your eye too.

Darchangel posted:

WalMart: driving the race to the bottom.
Again: who is going to buy your crap when you run every manufacturer in America out of business? Those fuckers need to be leashed, and now, though I'm not sure by what authority or legality anyone can do it.
It's pretty much too late already on the retail end of any business of consequence/scale. Companies are always using the "Shareholder value" excuse be it sellers or manufacturers. And it is true shareholders benefit (a lot of people have those shares as part of their funds for savings/retirement if they indeed have any), but at the same time people always seem to want to pay as little as they can at retail and will search high and low to save 3% on a $25 item.

I actually had a run-in with a factory technical sales rep just today on $75,000 worth of :911: US-MADE :911: heavy 6" pitch industrial chain. After the end user received it here locally, I was looking at it with them and saw a tag that said "MADE IN CHINA BY (US COMPANY) TO (US COMPANY) SPECIFICATIONS." Keep in mind this company has absolutely PRIDED itself on being MADE IN THE USA, #1, RAH-RAH MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BUY ANY lovely JAPANESE OR CHINESE PRODUCT!!!!

So when I called him on it he said "Yeah, I know, but it's THE EXACT SAME AS OUR STUFF HERE SO DON'T WORRY" so when I asked if I can expect a refund of around 30% because it sure as hell cost them a poo poo-ton less to make and my client and I pay a premium for their product, he had an uncomfortable chuckle. I told him congratulations on basically losing the only reason many people still like dealing with them (being made in the USA) and you made your life a whole lot more difficult going forward because you're now glomped in with everyone else and it's going to be a straight pricing game.

We had another run in with a very well known large North American Aluminum manufacturer a couple years ago where they literally locked key contract suppliers in a room at their head office and said "You are not leaving until you can lower our prices by 20%." Keep in mind these contracts are fixed margins, typically anywhere from single digits to low teens if you are lucky and they usually don't pay their bills worth a poo poo. Our guys thought about it for 5 minutes, said "No." there was no possible way we can do a reduction like that across the board. Maybe there was other ways to save money a little outside the box...?

The company refused and said they needed an outright price reduction, so we said we couldn't. The aluminum company then said our relationship would end. As much as I dislike the agreements some of these corporate account fucks get us into, I'll give them a pat on the back for saying no and waking out on those dinks.

The ironic thing, even though we almost immediately lost the corporate contract the local factory still insist on doing business with us (and I understand it is similar elsewhere) but since we are now out of the contract we can actually profit with them :buddy:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kastein posted:

The thing that annoys me most about those sorts of things is the drat screws into the outlet box are always a little stiff going in and I freak out wondering if I cross threaded or chowdered the threads,
I never use the device screws to pull the device into the box. Push it in by hand and then thread the screws down to the device.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

There really needs to be a "home lighting for EEs" book and you need to write it because holy poo poo I used to be scared of them but hearing this and then looking at the below diagram has taken all the mystery out of them:

Like seriously why isn't all home wiring shown like this it's so loving easy to understand now.

There are plenty of excellent textbooks out there that cover this poo poo actually - hell, the one I read when I was 8 and used to help my dad wire the garage* in the mid 90s covered stuff exactly like that. I'll see if I can figure out which one I read.

e: a 4-way goes between the two 3-ways and is a DPDT switch wired to either pass the red/black "traveler" wires straight through, or swap them. Now you know why you can toggle any of the switches and the light changes state! :science:

national electric code has required neutral wires in every switch box since several years ago (unsure how many, anywhere from 09 to 14 depending on your muni I think?) so you need /3-WG romex to do all lighting switch circuits these days. A lot of electricians are bent out of shape over this due to the extra cost, I didn't really give a poo poo and just complied with the code.

angryrobots posted:

I never use the device screws to pull the device into the box. Push it in by hand and then thread the screws down to the device.

Same, but those stupid tiny 6-32 threads always just feel wrong when I'm threading them in regardless. Maybe it's the brand of junction boxes I'm buying.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 10, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I somehow fixed my transmission issues by removing my battery for 15-20 minutes to confirm I had everything connected properly and no wires had been attacked by the rat in my garage. Next car I buy has a stick, gently caress trying to diagnose issues with autos.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Quick winter driving tip: when you've been plowed in it's easier to shovel yourself a path first than it is to dig out a high centered car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's even easier to just back up a touch and floor it.

Don't let off until you're out or it's on fire, either way, snow's gone.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Root canal part 1 is done. My face is all numb. The last time I was in this situation, my boss said I was "talking stroke-y".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

yeah it's loving insane how huge of a kickstart this is for us. suddenly we can pay double payments on our mortgage and have a fully funded emergency fund. we've never been able to spend money without thinking "hmm it's this or some groceries which is more important" so it's going to be a whole new world for us

double payments might be going a bit overboard, you might just be better off saving most of that money or starting to contribute more of your pretax wages to a 401k, especially if your employer offers matching contributions and you aren't already taking them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hahaha! Turns out the kid who got shot PULLED A GUN AND AIMED IT AT THE OTHER CAR FIRST.

It was an airsoft pistol but it doesn't matter. The other diver was defending himself.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Hahaha! Turns out the kid who got shot PULLED A GUN AND AIMED IT AT THE OTHER CAR FIRST.

It was an airsoft pistol but it doesn't matter. The other diver was defending himself.

Holy poo poo, how did he think that was a good idea in a gun crazy place like America?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Wow that kid is a real shining beacon of intellect. So now I guess the cops are gonna throw the book at him as well?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Wow that's a special kind of retarded. How are his parents taking it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kastein posted:

Wow that's a special kind of retarded. How are his parents taking it?

Regretting the mother drinking during pregnancy, I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His father is a cop! His is gonna be a hilarious ride. He absolutely didn't tell his parents that he aimed a gun at the other car but when witnesses started showing up he admitted he had a gun. He still claims he didn't point it at the other car but like every witness that has come forward says he did.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
God Bless America

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CharlesM posted:

God Bless America

Land that I love

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That is pretty awesome, but in a bittersweet sort of way. I'm about to get 65k more in debt thanks to student loans. The first time I went to school I should have just completed my poo poo then since It was affordable, but noooo I had to take 15 years off instead of just paying my way through initially with a 40 hour a week job, and a masters that would have been close to 8k over 2 years. I now get to take out a 65k loan for just an 18 month program for a masters. The ROI should be worth it though, hopefully.. :homebrew: :suicide:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So now I guess the cops are gonna throw the book at him as well?

Law enforcement in the US takes care of their own. Not likely.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sounds like he's the kind of problem that gets itself solved one way or the other.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh my god. Without going into political chat too far, Trump just asked Robert Kennedy Jr to chair a task force into "Vaccination Safety"

An anti-vaccer talking about "debating the science" under a presidential mandate should horrify everybody, not just Americans.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/trump-asks-skeptic-to-probe-vaccine-safety-alarming-doctors-1.3235732

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

Law enforcement in the US takes care of their own. Not likely.

is it even illegal to "brandish" an airsoft weapon? even if the kid's dad is a cop the shooter could probably walk scott-free

i wonder if the kid painted over the orange tip? :laffo:

slidebite posted:

Oh my god. Without going into political chat too far, Trump just asked Robert Kennedy Jr to chair a task force into "Vaccination Safety"

An anti-vaccer talking about "debating the science" under a presidential mandate should horrify everybody, not just Americans.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/trump-asks-skeptic-to-probe-vaccine-safety-alarming-doctors-1.3235732

remember we shouldn't disparage trump voters or we might hurt their feelings

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

You don't need vaccines because urine is sterile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slidebite posted:

Make Smallpox Great Again

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You don't need vaccines because urine is sterile.

gently caress, beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We're about one step away from the Ankh Morpork logic of "well, any water that's been through that number of kidneys has got to be pretty pure".

• Locked thread