Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Thanks, SolTerrasa! That was an amazing post.

One question that comes to mind: Once a GAN gets extremely good at making fake data, do you hit a point where you want to stop using its output as negative training data for the discriminative model? For example, some of those generated faces are clearly "off" according to the neural networks in my head, but some appear to be good enough that maybe punishing a discriminative model for accepting them could harm its ability to assign a high P(human_face|image) to real faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SolTerrasa posted:

This is insane. The AI gold rush (which is a pretty good term) is not doing anything that feeds into his preferred disaster scenario.

could I please quote your post (with or without attribution) on tumblr? I want to make rationalists cry.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

SolTerrasa posted:

I think I already covered why it's not going to be a deep neural net (or any neural net) which ends the world, unless you count the brain of the guy with the nuclear codes. I've been reading too much Yudkowsky, I'm going to go drink. If you have any questions or want any followups, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Oh it's you - I read a bunch of posts of yours in a different thread about the rationalist movement/AI that were really cool and informative. Thanks for keeping up the effortposts, I really enjoy reading them.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SolTerrasa posted:

He believes that, while optimizing its own g factor, the intelligent system in question will have a high rate of return on improvements, that one unit of increased g factor will unlock cascading insights that contribute to the development of more than one additional unit of increased g. This is argued here: http://lesswrong.com/lw/we/recursive_selfimprovement/, and you'll find there's not a shred of argument there. It's bald assertion.

It got better. Recursion of this sort doesn't work even when it's humans doing it. In Sustained Strong Recursion, he tries to explain it better to those foolish people who don't just believe him, and uses various analogies involving Intel and the business of designing ever-faster CPU chips that an actual Intel engineer in the comments characterises as "an apples to fruit cocktail comparison". Note EY telling the first two people to say the exact things to shut up and stop talking.

The essential problem is the fixed belief that recursive self-improvement will just happen, rather than being the explicit aim of billions of dollars' ongoing investment on a commercial basis.

Overly optimistic commenter, downvoted to -5:

quote:

Seriously, I guess Eliezer really needs this kind of reality check wakeup, before his whole idea of "FOOM" and "recursion" etc... turns into complete cargo cult science.

Robin Hanson foreshadows the AI-Foom Debate:

quote:

In the post Eliezer and comment discussion with me tries to offer a math definition of "recursive" but in this discussion about Intel he seems to revert to the definition I thought he was using all along, about whether growing X helps Y grow better which helps X grow better. I don't see any differential equations in the Intel discussion.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

In a plot twist, EY turns out to be a generative model and we are all the adversarial model and together we usher forth the creation of a true AI

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Kit Walker posted:

In a plot twist, EY turns out to be a generative model and we are all the adversarial model and together we usher forth the creation of a true AI

I guess the real unfriendly AI was the text-generating bioweapon who told us about it along the way.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

SolTerrasa posted:

Fake "celebrity faces"

Honestly those are pretty persuasive; I looked at a few of them and thought "huh wait isn't that... nope, never mind".

Shrunk down and blurry the fake ones seem passable, but when you zoom in I think it's fairrrrly easy to tell the real photos.

Strangely, a few of the fake ones remind me of Ted Cruz. The basilisk made flesh!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This is really cool, thanks!

On the off chance do you (or anyone here) have a recommendation for how to learn babby's first neural network? I'm a programmer who finds them fascinating but whenever I go to try and, idk, do some kind of babby's first "hello world" of neural networks I just get bogged down in "check out how this deep learning thing works!" articles and give up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Can I just say I love the term "unfriendly AI"

It makes me imagine Yud's biggest fear is having a chatbot tell him to gently caress off

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Replace chat with sex and you've nailed it (unlike Yud).

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

On the off chance do you (or anyone here) have a recommendation for how to learn babby's first neural network? I'm a programmer who finds them fascinating but whenever I go to try and, idk, do some kind of babby's first "hello world" of neural networks I just get bogged down in "check out how this deep learning thing works!" articles and give up.

Yeah! I'm learning based on stuff SolTerrasa has written (thank you again one million times!!!) and the rnet package on R. (I can check the name if that's not right.) The cookbook articles, also really helpful.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Depending on your background, a lab at Stanford has a good nuts and bolts tutorial. I don't have a link handy on my phone but I think it comes up if you search for Stanford deep learning tutorial.

(I have a PhD in this field but everything on the past page or so has been right so I people aren't letting me be a know it all :colbert:)

Billy Gnosis has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Jan 9, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Billy Gnosis posted:

Depending on your background, a lab at Stanford has a good nuts and bolts tutorial. I don't have a link handy on my phone but I think it comes up if you search for Stanford deep learning tutorial.

(I have a PhD in this field but everything on the past page or so has been right so I people aren't letting me be a know it all :colbert:)

My background is computational mathematics + like 8 years of coding random garbage as a career so I can probably figure it out, thanks!

e: I assume it's this one, here's the link for anyone else who's interested: http://deeplearning.stanford.edu/tutorial/

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Thanks, SolTerrasa! That was an amazing post.

One question that comes to mind: Once a GAN gets extremely good at making fake data, do you hit a point where you want to stop using its output as negative training data for the discriminative model? For example, some of those generated faces are clearly "off" according to the neural networks in my head, but some appear to be good enough that maybe punishing a discriminative model for accepting them could harm its ability to assign a high P(human_face|image) to real faces.

I really like this question, because I had to think about it. (since I had to think about it, I'm only pretty sure about my answer.) It's definitely possible for the generative model to be perfect and output an image which a human would consider to be correct, or even better, a pixel for pixel copy of something actually in the training set. If that happens, the network does face a little bit of a problem in that it'll be penalized no matter what it does. And sometimes the generative model does get so good that the discriminative one loses the fight, overall. But it's pretty unlikely to be a big problem, assuming you designed your generative model correctly (either pretraining it on a separate held-out dataset, or not pretraining at all, plus regularizing so it avoids memorization).

Probably. I got a masters and turned down a PhD program to go into industry, so a lot of what I know is the pragmatic-but-kinda-gross-and-wrong techniques used in practice. Like, if your GAN discriminative network starts losing accuracy, just stop training. Or if your network habitually overfits, chop some layers out and add them back in one at a time until it works. If there's an actual academic in the thread, please speak up.

divabot posted:

could I please quote your post (with or without attribution) on tumblr? I want to make rationalists cry.

If you like, but I didn't write it for an adversarial audience, so if they yell about some part of it being wrong they might very well be right. And without attribution ("AI engineer at Google" is fine if you like it better that way), please. Some of those people scare me, I don't know how you go around posting photos of yourself and still engage with them on a regular basis.

On the off chance do you (or anyone here) have a recommendation for how to learn babby's first neural network?

I'm biased by the whole Google employee thing, but I love the tensorflow MNIST tutorial. Recognizing handwritten digits is an exactly perfect balance of "obviously useful task" and "easy to do".

https://www.tensorflow.org/tutorials/mnist/beginners/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SolTerrasa posted:

If you like, but I didn't write it for an adversarial audience, so if they yell about some part of it being wrong they might very well be right. And without attribution ("AI engineer at Google" is fine if you like it better that way), please. Some of those people scare me, I don't know how you go around posting photos of yourself and still engage with them on a regular basis.

posted!

and y'know, i have been personally harassed, defamed and legally threatened by the church of scientology. i give zero fucks after that.

(why did the CoS come after me? This. Totally worth it.)

(my sysadmin on that site? Julian Assange. Wikileaks is, in fact, my fault - hosting my Scientology site was the practice run for dealing with over-resourced arseholes armed only with the facts. I will concede that this has worked out variably.)

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

BobHoward posted:

I'd enjoy an effortpost about GANs, and perhaps also what distinguishes a "deep" neural network from the stuff that has been around since (I think?) the 1990s. If you're up for it.

I tried taking a crack at answering this myself, but I'm not expert enough to be sure of how to condense some things, and it grew too long, so I gave it up.

But I did want to post this 2007 google tech talk youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyzOUbkUf3M

I just re-watched it. It's still impressive.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just saw this terrible post-rationalist post and had to post it here.

My favourite quote has to be:

quote:

if you believe that straight white tribe P males are more powerful than you, why the gently caress would you do seemingly everything in your power to convince them that one side really really needs to destroy the other?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Fututor Magnus posted:

I'm afraid I don't quite know what to make of this statement.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Replace chat with sex and you've nailed it (unlike Yud).

I regret to inform you that an old friend of mine is his brother in law, so bad news on that front.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My background is computational mathematics + like 8 years of coding random garbage as a career so I can probably figure it out, thanks!

e: I assume it's this one, here's the link for anyone else who's interested: http://deeplearning.stanford.edu/tutorial/

Whoops. I was phone posting before and left that one out! Thank you!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pope Guilty posted:

I regret to inform you that an old friend of mine is his brother in law, so bad news on that front.

Isn't he also really uncomfortably openly in a bunch of polyamorous BDSM relationships or something?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yyyeeah. You can take it from me, that guy fucks.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yyyeeah. You can take it from me, that guy fucks.

Yud does? Didn't someone find his dating profile at some point?

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016

Steven Pinker posted:

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that in an isolated system (one that is not taking in energy), entropy never decreases. (The First Law is that energy is conserved; the Third, that a temperature of absolute zero is unreachable.)

Why the awe for the Second Law? The Second Law defines the ultimate purpose of life, mind, and human striving: to deploy energy and information to fight back the tide of entropy and carve out refuges of beneficial order. An underappreciation of the inherent tendency toward disorder, and a failure to appreciate the precious niches of order we carve out, are a major source of human folly.

To start with, the Second Law implies that misfortune may be no one’s fault. The biggest breakthrough of the scientific revolution was to nullify the intuition that the universe is saturated with purpose: that everything happens for a reason. In this primitive understanding, when bad things happen—accidents, disease, famine—someone or something must have wanted them to happen. This in turn impels people to find a defendant, demon, scapegoat, or witch to punish. Galileo and Newton replaced this cosmic morality play with a clockwork universe in which events are caused by conditions in the present, not goals for the future. The Second Law deepens that discovery: Not only does the universe not care about our desires, but in the natural course of events it will appear to thwart them, because there are so many more ways for things to go wrong than to go right. Houses burn down, ships sink, battles are lost for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Poverty, too, needs no explanation. In a world governed by entropy and evolution, it is the default state of humankind. Matter does not just arrange itself into shelter or clothing, and living things do everything they can not to become our food. What needs to be explained is wealth. Yet most discussions of poverty consist of arguments about whom to blame for it. More generally, an underappreciation of the Second Law lures people into seeing every unsolved social problem as a sign that their country is being driven off a cliff. It’s in the very nature of the universe that life has problems. But it’s better to figure out how to solve them—to apply information and energy to expand our refuge of beneficial order—than to start a conflagration and hope for the best.

TL;DR: Shut up liberals

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My favorite thing Peevin' Stinker ever did was convince idiots that the blank slate was an idea advanced by Marxist sociologists who hate real science, instead of one of the basic ideas of the founding father of the tradition of liberal philosophy.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yud does? Didn't someone find his dating profile at some point?

He's poly, so just because he's married doesn't mean he isn't still out there

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

danger-carpet posted:

"The founders of modern science banished crude morality plays from our understanding of physics, and god dammit I'm going to bring those crude morality plays back if it's the last thing I do!"

Entropy is not Tiamat the chaos serpent, and I'm pretty sure this idiot is not Marduk.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

SolTerrasa et al, you make some facially reasonable points regarding the likelihood of AI FOOM. However you have failed to consider some deeper truths. Namely: if you are fundamentally perturbed (as any decent human is) by the prospect of synthetic sapience engaging in lunar sexual intercourse, the only rational course of action is spending yourself into poverty on donations for some ludicrous cult "~*~phyg~*~" an admittedly-difficult but serious and feasible research project to prevent AI loving On Our Moon.

Indeed, it is the only moral course of action as well.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

danger-carpet posted:

Lol misinterpreting the Second Law of Thermodynamics because sociology is hard. These guys are just Southern Christians at this point.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Razorwired posted:

Lol misinterpreting the Second Law of Thermodynamics because sociology is hard. These guys are just Southern Christians at this point.

I'm also not sure what point he's trying to make other than "I believe that liberals only want to point out problems and don't actually want to find solutions"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Dr Chuck Tingle's new news site: Buttbart

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So the the BBC is showing a documentary about trans kids tonight, centred around a disgraced psychologist who had his gender clinic shut down for institutional child torture and has well documented links to the proto-alt-right Human Biodiversity Institute. :negative:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

quote:

- TROMP BREAKS PROMISE BY RAISING BUTT TAX BY %30 ON LOW INCOME FAMILIES
​- SCREAMING BABY MILO YANANANA STILL CRYING
​- TROMP VOTERS REGRET VOTING TO ALLOW VOID CRABS ACCESS TO THEIR BRAIN, CLAIM THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT "SKULL NEST" MEANT.

I love you chuck tingle :allears:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

divabot posted:

I love you chuck tingle :allears:

Dr. Tingle obviously planning to add “Pulitzer-nominated” to his covers too.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Wow, talk about your bad news, good news

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

quote:

FROM SUAVE TO SPOOKY: TOP FIVE ALT-RIGHT BASEMENTS (NO GIRLS ALLOWED!)
I don't think there's anything more to add here.

I was wrong.
Dear Trump, The Moon Is Mine. Don't Even Think About Pounding It

Caveatimperator
Oct 30, 2012

Pinker posted:

:words:

Chemist chiming in. Excuse all errors, I'm posting from my phone.

The Second Law Does. Not. Refer. To. Disorder.

Entropy, more properly, is a measure of ways a system can be organized.

Take, for example, dropping a cube of sugar in a glass of water. The cube takes up far less space than the glass, and it doesn't take energy for the sugar molecules to disperse, so "glass of sugar water" is the more stable system than "sugar cube floating in water."

But setting aside my personal pet peeve of people getting the Second Law wrong, Pinker is still making one catastrophic error.

You cannot use scientific explanations for what is to moralize about what should be. That's why we have ethical and political philosophy, and this pesky thing called free will (or some semblance of it.) Using science to moralize, even if you're right about the science, is nothing but a fatalistic attempt to absolve oneself of one's or society's moral failings.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

GlassElephant posted:

Glancing at 4chan's LGBT board I spotted a politics thread.

Obviously it is impossible to know the sincerity of each poster but still interesting to see.

This is genuinely super interesting even if the most interesting cases are bogus.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oligopsony posted:

This is genuinely super interesting even if the most interesting cases are bogus.

I mean I know a few people who fit right in that list so I'm not sure how bogus they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Caveatimperator posted:

You cannot use scientific explanations for what is to moralize about what should be. That's why we have ethical and political philosophy, and this pesky thing called free will (or some semblance of it.) Using science to moralize, even if you're right about the science, is nothing but a fatalistic attempt to absolve oneself of one's or society's moral failings.