Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks! And thanks for the noms, guys! I'm glad y'all believe in me.

I don't believe in you. But I do believe in Koalas. Koalas rock. So therefore we should make all Koalas mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Tesseraction posted:

Dugin?? Putin's influence reaches to right to the upper echelons of Something Awful...

I was thinking more along the lines of Jeff Zucker tbqh

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lowtax posted:

I don't hate dealing with poo poo like this, but I do hate it when people tell me what I think or believe. Like your comment about me not seeing race in posters; I don't. The threads I read are the entertaining ones, and debating politics is not interesting to me, so race hardly ever comes into play in my mind when I'm reading threads. While I don't personally agree with your belief that skin color should be a factor in moderating, and I honestly don't agree with a lot of the prevailing beliefs here, I don't have any problem accepting the fact that people can believe and interpret things in a different way, and if that includes choosing a mod based on skin color, then so be it. Not a big deal.

Thanks for explaining your views, and sorry if I got heated while arguing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chelb posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of Jeff Zucker tbqh

gently caress zucker I'm sticking to the Russian hackers angle

they stole SA's credit cards in order to frame Lowtax as a leaky admin in order to put in a puppet moderator

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

I don't hate dealing with poo poo like this, but I do hate it when people tell me what I think or believe. Like your comment about me not seeing race in posters; I don't. The threads I read are the entertaining ones, and debating politics is not interesting to me, so race hardly ever comes into play in my mind when I'm reading threads. While I don't personally agree with your belief that skin color should be a factor in moderating, and I honestly don't agree with a lot of the prevailing beliefs here, I don't have any problem accepting the fact that people can believe and interpret things in a different way, and if that includes choosing a mod based on skin color, then so be it. Not a big deal.

Its not that race should be a determining factor in and of itself, it's that race has an impact on a person's life experiences and necessarily gives them a different view on the world. If a large enough group of posters feel like that view is marginalized, and it's not insane or unreasonable to accommodate them, you should maybe try to make it represented among the mod staff if for no other reason than because it will help remove the idea that the mods are institutionally against them

That's why people want a mod who isn't a white dude: because they dont feel represented and they do feel marginalized and poo poo on because ExMarx is a bad admin, or badmin if you will

I'm not trying to take a swing at you big Daddy Richard I just want to help DND not be garbage and reframing the issue is part of that. God Bless.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Segmentation Fault posted:

Here's my two cents as a white guy who has no place in this thread really

Fluffdaddy makes a great point when he talks about the ridiculousness of this thread even existing. Black politics is American politics, and American politics is Black politics.

As a white dude I disagree because black people ARE treated differently and while american politics can be some overarching term for "all politics within america" I would not say that knowing generally about american politics necessarily means you know a single goddamn thing about life as a black person or in a black community, and it does not mean you know what "black politics" even is.

Take me for example, I don't know poo poo about being black and I don't know poo poo about black politics, yet I follow my local politics and watched all the presidential debates and whatnot. I grew up in the south and I'm still here, and I have witnessed racism. I have dealt with the justice system and it had me tied up for years with stupid poo poo. I don't know what the same experience would have been like if I was black, and I don't know what affect it would have on my personality now. What I do know is that statistically speaking if I had done all the same poo poo in georgia as a black dude instead of a white dude, I would have been more likely to get hosed up worse. This thread existing isn't ridiculous, it's just a reflection of the way things are in the rest of the world. Like I said before, the existence of the sentiment alone is grounds for accepting that the issue is real. I don't need to analyze if or why something is necessary before accepting that people have the perception that something is necessary.

There's some poo poo you're never going to understand. And that's just the way it is because you are only yourself.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Its not that race should be a determining factor in and of itself, it's that race has an impact on a person's life experiences and necessarily gives them a different view on the world. If a large enough group of posters feel like that view is marginalized, and it's not insane or unreasonable to accommodate them, you should maybe try to make it represented among the mod staff if for no other reason than because it will help remove the idea that the mods are institutionally against them.
I understand that, which is why I did it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

Cool. The way you phrased it didn't make it sound like you really got it but we're cool. I still love you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm glad Koalas March is a mod and it's a good thing you did Lowtax.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I wish I had something cool to say during all this but I got here too late. Glad this ended peacefully though. Congrats Koalas March.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

drat, you go take a nap and poo poo blows up. Grats Koalas!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Gaunab posted:

I wish I had something cool to say during all this but I got here too late. Glad this ended peacefully though. Congrats Koalas March.

I'm just glad I sat back and watched how things played out instead of saying something stupid that would have gotten me banned, screwed up the discourse or both.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is one thing I've wanted to ask the thread's opinion on previously but didn't want to interrupt ongoing conversation. There seems to me to be a widespread expectation of forgiveness place upon family members of slain people of color, that somehow the proper thing to do, almost automatically, is to express forgiveness of the killer, almost regardless of any other consideration, and that should a person of color not extend that forgiveness, they're somehow exceptionally worked up or out of line to the point where their anger invalidates anything else they may have to say on the subject. Personally, I've more than once found it exceptionally crass how quickly interviewers often jump to the "do you forgive his/her killer?" question, like some sort of bizarre shibboleth on Good Black BehaviorTM. And as a result, I have to wonder if all such expressions of forgiveness are sincere, or in some cases are said simply because it's what white people expect and yet another unjust hoop that must be jumped through as part of daily life. Or am I entirely out of line here?

A lot of it is the same initial mindset that wanted to call Roof's crime anything but race-related until the preponderance of evidence made that even more ridiculous than it already was. IIRC this was framed as an anti-Christian crime as opposed to a massacre of black folks for being black. A lot of white people just are not comfortable with and do not want to deal with a bunch of seemingly disgruntled or upset black folks, so the first thing to do is to try to smooth it over as quickly as possible. So it quickly jumps from "That's super tragic!" to "So...you still mad or nah?" It makes me think of several fairly recent incidents:

1. The son of Alton Sterling had to speak out and asks for non-violent protests. His father had just been shot by the police and he's 15 years old having to reassure the press that he knows that not all police officers are bad.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alton-sterling-son-cameron-father-police-shooting-death-dallas-ambush/

2. The mother of Philando Castille in the midst of everything that went wrong in her son's situation and the fact was honest about the concealed weapon he had, she also said she was kept from her son's bedside as he lay dying. But she still had to reassure the press that she wanted any protests to be peaceful.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/14/us/police-shootings-investigations/

3. I'll never forget the "Hero Mom" of the Baltimore Riots who smacked her son around for his participation after the Freddy Gray case. A lot of white folks clucked very approvingly about her actions (when, in any other situation, they'd probably want to call CPS). This is without understanding that she was beating on him out of abject terror.
http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/15868-a-year-on-baltimore-mom-who-scolded-her-son-during-riots-is-still-thinking-of

So, in answer to your question, I'm sure some of the victims do actually forgive the perpetrators eventually. I don't think they forgive them in the immediate aftermath of the incident, but definitely as time wears on because for some folks it's the only way to be able to move on. I believe that a lot of this push to forgiveness is because it makes white people feel better that this family is "some of the good ones" and won't be "violent thugs".

Hope that made sense.

And congrats, KM! :toot:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lowtax posted:

Okay I will make Koala's March a mod then.

This is a cool and good decision, so rock on Lowtax. And congrats Koalas March!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My only questions are:
1) Does KM's modship do anything at all to prevent black posters from getting probated for speaking out in other threads
2) Can KM remove the bullshit redtexts some psycho keeps buying for people nonstop?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

2) Can KM remove the bullshit redtexts some psycho keeps buying for people nonstop?
I've been removing redtexts on request, because a lot of the ones in D&D have been super egregious these last few months. KM technically could but it's way easier to do through the admin panel, so I'll just remind everyone to contact me if you want a text blanked out.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
e:f;b

My only questions are:
1) Does KM's modship do anything at all to prevent black posters from getting probated for speaking out in other threads

don't know about #1 but IIRC #2 has to be done by an admin, but a mod can expedite things

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeah I'm still learning all the mod stuff, so nobody flip out if you make a report and justice isn't swift or whatever. I'm keeping an eye on stuff, trust me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gringostar posted:

don't know about #1 but IIRC #2 has to be done by an admin, but a mod can expedite things
Mods can change titles in the forum they moderate, but the changes go into the queue like bans and longer probations, so it takes a little more time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been removing redtexts on request, because a lot of the ones in D&D have been super egregious these last few months. KM technically could but it's way easier to do through the admin panel, so I'll just remind everyone to contact me if you want a text blanked out.

Yeah, I just figured it might be helpful if you didn't have to handle every single case all by yourself. Since KM is active in these threads she can see when people have been given crappy titles in real time and just nuke them right then.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I just figured it might be helpful if you didn't have to handle every single case all by yourself. Since KM is active in these threads she can see when people have been given crappy titles in real time and just nuke them right then.
She can definitely queue them up, just be aware that it'll take a bit. But of course, if you ask an admin and they're not around it still takes a bit. So I guess it's all the same, really.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

FactsAreUseless posted:

Mods can change titles in the forum they moderate, but the changes go into the queue like bans and longer probations, so it takes a little more time.

I was probably not remembering what ZRD was saying about changing someone's AV right, or another mod somewhere said they couldn't change someone's AV because they weren't an admin which was before ZDR started to un-(radium)gently caress the forums or something.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's not strictly black things any more, but that QCS thread has now progressed to the lovely stage where they're telling me that I'm just imagining anti-trans microaggressions because I'm paranoid and people's coded language isn't really coded language I'm just reading too much into it. I came this close to using the word "gaslighting" before I realized they'd just use that as ammo.

Sorry to be off topic, just needed somewhere to vent that and I know y'all will understand it best.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

You, mind wiping the slate clean here? I've gotten my laughs from the fact I pissed someone off enough to get it, but it's kinda unfunny and ugly.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I do not understand why a 30-day probation was warranted for this reply, so I have un-probated them. Obviously the user has a history of stirring poo poo up (39 probations!!!), but I do not see how this reply alone deserved such punishment.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I think it's very important to have a thread where I can be low-key racist, anti-trans, homophobic and scream at anyone who doesn't give all their money and support to BLM.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Lowtax posted:

I do not understand why a 30-day probation was warranted for this reply, so I have un-probated them. Obviously the user has a history of stirring poo poo up (39 probations!!!), but I do not see how this reply alone deserved such punishment.

I am mostly certain it's because he has been warned not to post in here cause of said history.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Also Lowtax, when are the other races gonna get their own mods for D&D?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lowtax posted:

It's because TIC's modus operandi is to establish a "pretending to be reasonable" foothold and then blowing up with terrible posts before mods can react. He was told not to post in the thread at all and he ignored that.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

DrPaper posted:

Also Lowtax, when are the other races gonna get their own mods for D&D?
Whenever they ask. I will be fair and honor / mod any race or ethnicity that feels they aren't represented here, as long as a group of you feel the same way, they have a good post history, and I do not believe they will abuse their mod powers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lowtax posted:

Hey, nice! You made a great choice.:)

Congrats, KM!

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Lowtax posted:

Whenever they ask. I will be fair and honor / mod any race or ethnicity that feels they aren't represented here, as long as a group of you feel the same way, they have a good post history, and I do not believe they will abuse their mod powers.

Can I be the Nubian mod?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Failcon posted:

Can I be the Nubian mod?

no

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

I didn't ask you

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lowtax posted:

You people do realize you're posting in one of the most liberal sub forums on the internet, one which has resulted in our entire forum being branded SJWs for over a decade, and you're complaining about some secret alt right racist moderation conspiracy, right?

Does anyone have a handy link to the thread where posters were being told to do paper bag tests to prove their race?

That was pretty hosed up.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Can I mod GBS?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Does anyone have a handy link to the thread where posters were being told to do paper bag tests to prove their race?

That was pretty hosed up.

Negomancer has a probation for demanding someone do that then saying they where basically white on the inside when they proved they were black, so you can probably find it from his rapsheet.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I wanna be the bandito mod.

But seriously Congratulations Koala March :)

Also, 🔥
https://mobile.twitter.com/fiyawata/status/819007153675632641

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lowtax posted:

It's bad because he's a gimmickposter, and that's the opening stage of his MO - drop into a conversation about bigotry, and then use a storm of pedantry and misrepresentation to argue that the bigotry being discussed does not exist, and the people talking about it are the real bigots. He and a certain UKMT poster, Pissflaps, are a sort of troll that the SA moderation system, with its focus on individual bad posts, are poorly equipped to handle - they're reasonably civil and rarely engage in obvious bigotry, but they will do their level best to drown out any sort of productive conversation in a wave of tedious, empty, circular bullshit. It's why he's been booted out of the Israel/Palestine threads, among others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

stone cold posted:

It happened in one of the USPol threads, POC posters literally had to post their hands next to paper bags.

Well crap, never going to find it.

• Locked thread