Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

call to action posted:

Why does carbon capture technology matter until we're nearing zero net carbon emissions in the first place? Will it ever be cheaper to capture a ton of carbon vs. prevent its emission in the first place?

I couldn't possibly agree less. If the choice is 99.999% destruction if I fight and become an ascetic monk to reduce my carbon emissions, or 100% destruction if I chill and live a nice Western life, I'm gonna choose number two.

We need to get to negative carbon emissions, not just zero. Also sequestration can help us reduce overall emissions faster than we can transform an industry.

Now this new tech seems very far down the pipeline sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hypothetically, I came up with some amazing carbon sequestration technology, it seems like that should be one of the most valuable things on the planet. Obviously a coal plant could buy carbon credits or something from me to offset what they produce. But it seems to me that to really move to negative emissions, I would need to get paid to simply remove carbon on my own dime. If there was a tax on carbon emissions, I could possibly get some of that if the proceeds were saved for such a purpose. To really drive this, it seems like you'd either have to do that or have the entire thing subsidized by the government.

It just seems that, technology aside, we aren't really structured in a way that would encourage widespread sequestration as a business. Cap and trade is a bit of a joke and too easily gamed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

call to action posted:

I couldn't possibly agree less. If the choice is 99.999% destruction if I fight and become an ascetic monk to reduce my carbon emissions, or 100% destruction if I chill and live a nice Western life, I'm gonna choose number two.

Cool strawman.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fangz posted:

Cool strawman.

False Dichotomy. :science:

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

False Dichotomy. :science:

It's also a strawman, because nobody is telling people to become "ascetic monks".

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
And Zudgemud was never seen again.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Although clearly something to watch out for regions that scrap by on subsistence farming, I don't think warming will have a significant negative impact on crop yields for industrialized nations within the next 50 or so years - at least not one that isn't offset by a mix of tech advances and the positive effect of higher CO2 concentrations.*

The problem is the water. Desertification, shift of rain patterns and general scarcity of freshwater from exploitation will have a much heavier effect, and in the context of global food production, the ocean dying will put higher pressure on food costs.

*Assuming 2-4 degrees increase. If we keep on a >10C path for end of century, then all bets are off.

call to action posted:

Cool username.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

call to action posted:

Ok, how about the more realistic scenario of saving millions of lives and a large amount of future economic hardship in exchange for supporting policies that will lead to an overall reduction in consumption?

or is the point that literally all sacrifices aren't worth it and it's better to let the world burn than give one inch on traditional first world lifestyles

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

Ok, how about the more realistic scenario of saving millions of lives and a large amount of future economic hardship in exchange for supporting policies that will lead to an overall reduction in consumption?

or is the point that literally all sacrifices aren't worth it and it's better to let the world burn than give one inch on traditional first world lifestyles

I was responding to the original post, which was literally talking about the death of 6B people vs 6.001B people. It's not a meaningful difference to me. "Fighting" has a cost, one that I'm not willing to bear if there's no significant difference even if I'm successful.

Kinda like how I wouldn't bother saving for retirement if I knew I had a 99% of dying before I retired - I can use that money to live a better life now. Saving/fighting isn't free.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Conspiratiorist posted:

the ocean dying will put higher pressure on food costs.

The ocean dying will kill every single one of us. It's a worst case scenario, literal 99% extinction event. Lucky for us it's at the extreme end of absolutely no mitigation and in fact vastly increased emissions. It's the last domino and not the first.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nice piece of fish posted:

The ocean dying will kill every single one of us. It's a worst case scenario, literal 99% extinction event. Lucky for us it's at the extreme end of absolutely no mitigation and in fact vastly increased emissions. It's the last domino and not the first.

Why?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Most of the planet's oxygen is generated by oceanic bacteria. Ocean dies, everything asphyxiates.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

Most of the planet's oxygen is generated by oceanic bacteria. Ocean dies, everything asphyxiates.

But oxygen depletion of the atmosphere below what's survivable by plants and animals would take centuries if not millenia even without the ocean's contribution.

I mean, yes, besides the unlikely second Venus that's the worst case long-term scenario, but it's beyond the scope of time humans care about.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

But oxygen depletion of the atmosphere below what's survivable by plants and animals would take centuries if not millenia even without the ocean's contribution.

I mean, yes, besides the unlikely second Venus that's the worst case long-term scenario, but it's beyond the scope of time humans care about.

There's a lot of things beyond the scope of time humans care about.

Such as the day after tomorrow

*ominous music starts playing*

In a world

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

The ocean is also a pretty major food source. Because, you know, fish.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

At what point, Zudge, do you think we will start capturing carbon faster than we are emitting it? As in, what would be the public awareness tipping point to get someone to start paying for capture in earnest?

Probably when the consequences of climate change becomes too large to ignore for the population at large and when the cost of energy and carbon capture technology has become low enough for it to be a politically viable alternative to include in an international "Kyoto protocol #X" type of deal. The real deal maker is probably when renewables/non CO2 emitting powersources become so cheap that they mostly out-compete coal/oil/gas, as a decrese of emissions will have the biggest effect on CO2 levels. Still though, for this long term and slow solution of carbon capture to be seriously considered and implemented, I would assume a majority of powerful nations need to be dramatically squeezed by climate change, so maybe between 50-100 years?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Oxxidation posted:

On a massive timescale, sure. It's more that we need everything the ocean produces, including its ability to sequester carbon dioxide.

Conspiratiorist posted:

On the other hand, a massive ocean-wide anoxic event (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoxic_event) could conceivably happen as a worst case scenario within a few hundred years. And probably on an unprecedented scale, given the multiple stressors on ocean life and biology humans provide, abundant organic material for breakdown... yeah. Better learn to breathe hydrogen sulphate gas.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

call to action posted:

I was responding to the original post, which was literally talking about the death of 6B people vs 6.001B people. It's not a meaningful difference to me. "Fighting" has a cost, one that I'm not willing to bear if there's no significant difference even if I'm successful.

Kinda like how I wouldn't bother saving for retirement if I knew I had a 99% of dying before I retired - I can use that money to live a better life now. Saving/fighting isn't free.

0.001 billion is a million people.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

On the other hand, a massive ocean-wide anoxic event (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoxic_event) could conceivably happen as a worst case scenario within a few hundred years. And probably on an unprecedented scale, given the multiple stressors on ocean life and biology humans provide, abundant organic material for breakdown... yeah. Better learn to breathe hydrogen sulphate gas.

I'm sure once there's the demand, there will be incentives to provide oxygen creation technologies that will fill in the niche left by our moribund biosphere. That's how the free market works.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Change comes once someone figures out how to monetize the tech. Until a lot of people can 1. get rich by doing a thing that sequesters carbon and 2. lose money by producing carbon then there will be no change. Governments just exist to protect the industry incumbents so expect them to slow this process of change further.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Change comes once someone figures out how to monetize the tech. Until a lot of people can 1. get rich by doing a thing that sequesters carbon and 2. lose money by producing carbon then there will be no change. Governments just exist to protect the industry incumbents so expect them to slow this process of change further.

Change comes when governments implement the correct policies to allow individuals and corporations to monetize tech. It will never be worthwhile to sequester carbon when emitting it carries no consequences, as an example. Or society understands the value for sequestering carbon and will pay people to do it. If I figured out how to sequester 10% of my nations emissions in my backyard, it wouldn't be worth any money unless the policies were in place to allow me to be paid to do it.

BattleMoose fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 11, 2017

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
The biggest push will be when a market forms to use sequestered carbon. Once that "waste" becomes valuable, sequestration will make business sense.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

0.001 billion is a million people.

Indeed it is. If the choice is between a world that has somehow gone through a hyperholocaust and ended up with a million people (presumably the richest on earth) left alive and no one left alive, I don't really care.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

call to action posted:

That's actually an interesting and useful wedge between us here. My moral compass operates on a totally different basis.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For one, excepting for a level of certainty sitting at alpha level that we're going to face "hyperholocaust," it'll be worthwhile to attempt avoiding that scenario. IN all that's lovely about inaction on climate change right now, we're fortunate in that this isn't a single roll of dice fate we're facing. It's not like you or I are straight-up consigned to a fate that was determined decades ago that cannot be changed. We're just mostly hosed by actions we've taken and not taken decades ago if we continue to not act in dramatic ways.

The "if I am 99% likely to die before retirement" bit is a false dichotomy and a failure to look at a system analytically. You aren't assigned a death date. If you are thirty right now and someone says, "Based on your present health profile, income, and spending habits, you're 99% likely to die before you can retire," do you throw your hands up in defeat? Well, apparently you do, but perhaps others would exercise, eat healthier, address other specific medical concerns if possible, engineer their lifestyle around saving, and perhaps assess opportunities for career advancement. It's not a binary choice; there's a massive sliding scale of reaction that can be taken.

(edit, continue reading below)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 11, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

anonumos posted:

The biggest push will be when a market forms to use sequestered carbon. Once that "waste" becomes valuable, sequestration will make business sense.

Not sure if there will ever be a productive use for sequestered carbon. Its value is entirely based on its being in the ground and not in the air, and that value needs to be created through laws and regulations that make people pay for emitting carbon and give that money to people who remove carbon from the air.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

If you are thirty right now and someone says, "Based on your present health profile, income, and spending habits, you're 99% likely to die before you can retire," do you throw your hands up in defeat? Well, apparently you do, but perhaps others would exercise, eat healthier, address other specific medical concerns if possible, engineer their lifestyle around saving, and perhaps assess opportunities for career advancement.

Those are all things you can do with regard to your own life, which is a small scale situation that any person has the ability to change.

This thread is about things that nobody has the ability to change, outside of a few hundred billionaires who don't give a poo poo. It's pretty absurd to compare climate change to the life of a single person.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 11, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

(phone posting, pardon third post)

To bring that thinking -- that ACC isn't as simple as your reductive morality would seem to like to pare it down to -- back to the topic of the thread, we can absolutely accept the binary choices of "We totally engage in a global uberfocus on emissions cuts and reversal now" and "we do nothing and go +6C by 2100 full holocaust" if we do so with the mindset that those are extremes toward opposing ends of a broad spectrum of paths we can take.

Like, literally paths we can take: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_Concentration_Pathways

On the note of paths,

Zudgemud posted:

Probably when the consequences of climate change becomes too large to ignore for the population at large and when the cost of energy and carbon capture technology has become low enough for it to be a politically viable alternative to include in an international "Kyoto protocol #X" type of deal. The real deal maker is probably when renewables/non CO2 emitting powersources become so cheap that they mostly out-compete coal/oil/gas, as a decrese of emissions will have the biggest effect on CO2 levels. Still though, for this long term and slow solution of carbon capture to be seriously considered and implemented, I would assume a majority of powerful nations need to be dramatically squeezed by climate change, so maybe between 50-100 years?

I wanted to reply to you on the note of RCPs. From the wikipedia link above (and from the top of the article) comes a chart of four hypothetical trajectories humankind can take with respect to CO2 concentration in the near future.

That green one? That's a best case scenario, something that the Paris Accord was intended to help us reach. Notice that after 2040, that trajectory's crystal ball hopes humankind can start going negative on carbon emissions per year, as in we're deploying carbon capture or using then-better-understood natural systems to help pull CO2 out of the air. The whole green best-case scenario trajectory that keeps us to just +1C by 2100 -- which is still something of an ecological disaster -- assumes these carbon capture technologies and our governments will be ready for primetime by 2040.

When I see an article on a carbon capture tech, I think "Oh thank god, we need that to be commercalized in a little over 2 PhD cycles." I am saddened by the thought that many red-blooded Americans read the same article and probably think, "I knew technology would solve it, I'm glad we didn't wreck are economy on something as stupid as climate change."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ChairMaster posted:

Those are all things you can do with regard to your own life, which is a small scale situation that any person has the ability to change.

This thread is about things that nobody has the ability to change, outside of a few hundred billionaires who don't give a poo poo. It's pretty absurd to compare climate change to the life of a single person.

i know, I'm phoneposting and its a long drat post so I put it into three. 2nd flows into 3rd, above.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

ChairMaster posted:

It seems like the discussion always goes that way, yeah. I don't think it should be what the thread is about. Occasionally, there's some good posts about actions people are taking in their own lives or working with a group. Often, some article about a small advance in a technology or a good policy action somewhere. Quite a bit, people posting new articles about some aspect of climate change. Those are all good contributions.

Inevitably, people latch onto the article about a bad thing and melt down about how all is lost, etc. It's really not interesting to read anymore. Posts not about despair are met with "yeah, but it's not enough to make a difference." Well, of course it isn't, by itself. Climate change is a problem that needs a constant stream of small changes that begin to add up. There is no one solution. I think the thread reaction to "hey here's a thing I or some group did" should be celebrate and add to, not denigrate then shitpost. Seems like goons are too edgy for that, though.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Posts not about despair are met with "yeah, but it's not enough to make a difference." Well, of course it isn't, by itself. Climate change is a problem that needs a constant stream of small changes that begin to add up. There is no one solution. I think the thread reaction to "hey here's a thing I or some group did" should be celebrate and add to, not denigrate then shitpost. Seems like goons are too edgy for that, though.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Individual actions, as long as you're not literally the chief executive of a county, are almost entirely meaningless.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Ok, so what?

I don't see how when you reduce it it's different than knowing that everybody dies someday. You're alive now, what are you going to do about it?

Sphairon
May 5, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A LIBERTARIAN PIECE OF SHIT AND TONGUING RON PAUL'S BIGOTED ASSHOLE WHILE HE BEATS A GAY COUPLE TO DEATH WITH A GOLDEN DILDO AND JERKS OFF TO A PICTURE OF THE CONFEDERATE RAG WHILE WATCHING ATLAS SHRUGGED IN 3D

Your Wiki article seems to suggest these anoxic events are associated with (for our standards) very high CO2 levels in the atmosphere caused by methane releases:

quote:

Such rises in carbon dioxide may have been in response to a great outgassing of the highly flammable natural gas (methane) that some call an "oceanic burp". Vast quantities of methane are normally locked into the Earth's crust on the continental plateaus in one of the many deposits consisting of compounds of methane hydrate, a solid precipitated combination of methane and water much like ice. Because the methane hydrates are unstable, except at cool temperatures and high (deep) pressures, scientists have observed smaller "burps" due to tectonic events.

You're saying this might be a worst case scenario a few hundred years away, but given the rapid meltdown of polar ice chronicled in this thread and the associated danger of huge methane releases, what's keeping us from being confronted with it possibly within our lifetimes? Given how fast we managed to warm the planet with relatively less potent CO2, wouldn't the temporal lag between a clathrate release scenario and such an anoxic event be decades rather than centuries?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Placid Marmot posted:

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Posts not about despair are met with "yeah, but it's not enough to make a difference." Well, of course it isn't, by itself. Climate change is a problem that needs a constant stream of small changes that begin to add up. There is no one solution. I think the thread reaction to "hey here's a thing I or some group did" should be celebrate and add to, not denigrate then shitpost. Seems like goons are too edgy for that, though.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Individual actions, as long as you're not literally the chief executive of a county, are almost entirely meaningless.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I think the thread reaction to "hey here's a thing I or some group did" should be celebrate and add to, not denigrate then shitpost. Seems like goons are too edgy for that, though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

That green one? That's a best case scenario, something that the Paris Accord was intended to help us reach. Notice that after 2040, that trajectory's crystal ball hopes humankind can start going negative on carbon emissions per year, as in we're deploying carbon capture or using then-better-understood natural systems to help pull CO2 out of the air. The whole green best-case scenario trajectory that keeps us to just +1C by 2100 -- which is still something of an ecological disaster -- assumes these carbon capture technologies and our governments will be ready for primetime by 2040.

1° from that green line by 2100? I'd think under that "best case" scenario we'd be extremely lucky to be under 3.5° by end of century. You start totaling up feedback loops very likely to occur in that time span and 3.5° looks optimistic indeed. Albedo reversal alone could potentially eat up that budget.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BattleMoose posted:

Change comes when governments implement the correct policies to allow individuals and corporations to monetize tech. It will never be worthwhile to sequester carbon when emitting it carries no consequences, as an example. Or society understands the value for sequestering carbon and will pay people to do it. If I figured out how to sequester 10% of my nations emissions in my backyard, it wouldn't be worth any money unless the policies were in place to allow me to be paid to do it.

Regulations don't precede new tech. CO2 has value, especially since it is produced along with heat. That heat and CO2 can be used to generate value added goods with the right catalysts and substrates. The tech and business case aren't there yet but the moment it is people will be seeking it out like fryer grease or garbage. A previously worthless good discarded in mass and now a limited and expensive resource in places.

solar pv + waste heat + CO2 -> algal growth and biofuel production, separate biofuel from liquid fraction and return waste liquid to bioreactor; separate solids (dead algae) from solid fraction and isolate cellulose for industrial production of paper,absorptive products, etc. Waste solids go to fertilizer production. This stuff is already ongoing, just needs it all to come together as tech matures.

It's always possible that human civilization could shift from carbon positive to carbon negative and end up with the opposite problem. If we have basically unlimited solar energy and growing trees for carbon goods is slow and inefficient then we could simply extract the CO2 from the air to generate goods and end up sucking out too much due to greed/profits/excess same as before.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 11, 2017

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Regulations CAN spur development. While solar was trucking along with significant progress, federal and state regulations increased investment and sped up efficiency gains far sooner than the previous market forces called for. IE. markets do respond to regulation, sometimes positively. Some people take it on faith that regulation always stifles innovation but that is not a truism.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

anonumos posted:

Regulations CAN spur development. While solar was trucking along with significant progress, federal and state regulations increased investment and sped up efficiency gains far sooner than the previous market forces called for. IE. markets do respond to regulation, sometimes positively. Some people take it on faith that regulation always stifles innovation but that is not a truism.
Yeah but all the regulations around solar came after solar pv tech was reasonably matured. Euro regulations acted as a catalyst to provide demand, and China used monetary policy to greatly expand production in response.

But no carbon capture tech has as of yet matured enough to gain a legislative following. No one wants to subsidize pumping CO2 in to the Earth's crust since that is political unsalable (and IMO dumb/wasteful). Now if a carbon capture tech matured enough to produce something of value that could create a new industry came along then that would be attractive for legislation and government investment and a focus for regulation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CCS is bizarrely one of the few ways to save the coal industry. If we mandate CCS then we'd need to burn 2x the coal for the same amount of power (coal CCS is very energy intensive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Sphairon posted:

Your Wiki article seems to suggest these anoxic events are associated with (for our standards) very high CO2 levels in the atmosphere caused by methane releases:

You're saying this might be a worst case scenario a few hundred years away, but given the rapid meltdown of polar ice chronicled in this thread and the associated danger of huge methane releases, what's keeping us from being confronted with it possibly within our lifetimes? Given how fast we managed to warm the planet with relatively less potent CO2, wouldn't the temporal lag between a clathrate release scenario and such an anoxic event be decades rather than centuries?

In an RCP 8,5 scenario (or worse), which is what I understand we're on track for due to vastly too optimistic models?

Uhhh... My hopes and dreams?