Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
For anyone AU players looking the tickets have gone on sale for the QLD regional. I won't be going but I figure someone would want to.

https://www.irresistibleforce.com.au/search?type=product&q=regionals

Also the venue is fully licensed so you can get your drink on and run into everything.

Raged fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Raged posted:

For anyone AU players looking the tickets have gone on sale for the QLD regional. I won't be going but I figure someone would want to.

https://www.irresistibleforce.com.au/search?type=product&q=regionals

Also the venue is fully licensed so you can get your drink on and run into everything.

Huh, that doesn't sound too bad. I've forwarded it to the Adelaide group, so I might consider going if others are interested, too.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, there might be a couple of Victorian guys who might travel. Let's take the trophy outside of Queensland ;)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I took the idea of Bossk's Party Bus and I'm going to practice with hopes of bringing it to a tournament. Did anyone try it out and have some suggestions? Here is the list so far.

Aggressor: · IG-88B (36)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Autothrusters (2)
YV-666: · Bossk (35)
· Lone Wolf (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
· IG-88D (1)
Gunner (5)
· Dengar (3)
Glitterstim (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

I took the idea from before and reworked it around a theme. The idea is that the Bounty hunters from Empire go on a drug fueled party binge to celebrate the death of the overrated rear end in a top hat, Boba Fett. I'll write 4Lom and Zuckuss on little pieces of paper and tape them over IG88D and Gunner respectively.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I got your X-wing fix home brewed right here.

Millennium Falsehood. 0 Points. X-wing/A-wing only.

When two ships with this title are in Range 1 of each other, you may combine their Agility values when defending with either ship, and use either ship's tokens. If they are further than Range 1 at the end of the Activation Phase, discard all copies of this title.

-------

Garik "Face" Loran. T-65 x-wing. PS 7. 25 points.

After obstacles are placed but before ships are placed, you may copy the Pilot Ability of any other ship that you or your opponent will be piloting this game.

--------

Voort "Piggy" saBinring.T-65 x-wing. PS 7. 24 points.

At the beginning of the Combat phase, choose one friendly ship at Range 1-3. That ship receives one Evade token or one Focus token.

None of this is playtested and I don't care.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Do face or piggy have EPT

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Do face or piggy have EPT

Face does. Piggy....yes? Could be too strong at 24 points. Face probably is too. Give him R3 Astro, PtL, IA, and Vectored, then Jake's ability. That's 32 points for an A-wing that does more damage but can't dodge as much.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's important to know the rules of X-Wing. Like when my opponent at a tournament on Saturday attempted to launch a seismic torpedo with Push The Limit.

Probably would have lost that match if I hadn't pointed out that PTL states that you can perform action bar actions only as your second action

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

It's important to know the rules of X-Wing. Like when my opponent at a tournament on Saturday attempted to launch a seismic torpedo with Push The Limit.

Probably would have lost that match if I hadn't pointed out that PTL states that you can perform action bar actions only as your second action

Yeah. Should have done seismic first, in that case.

I usually see people PTL'ing to try to get rid of crits. Nope, can't do that bro.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't realize PtL was action bar only, or that PtL and Experimental Interface did different things, for an embarrassingly long time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I got your X-wing fix home brewed right here.

Millennium Falsehood. 0 Points. X-wing/A-wing only.

When two ships with this title are in Range 1 of each other, you may combine their Agility values when defending with either ship, and use either ship's tokens. If they are further than Range 1 at the end of the Activation Phase, discard all copies of this title.

-------

Garik "Face" Loran. T-65 x-wing. PS 7. 25 points.

After obstacles are placed but before ships are placed, you may copy the Pilot Ability of any other ship that you or your opponent will be piloting this game.

--------

Voort "Piggy" saBinring.T-65 x-wing. PS 7. 24 points.

At the beginning of the Combat phase, choose one friendly ship at Range 1-3. That ship receives one Evade token or one Focus token.

None of this is playtested and I don't care.

Lol at Face copying Biggs for 2 higher PS and identical ability when it's already one of the most broken abilities in the game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Lol at Face copying Biggs for 2 higher PS and identical ability when it's already one of the most broken abilities in the game.

What happens if two Biggs' are next to each other? You can't shoot either? You can pick? lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. Should have done seismic first, in that case.

I usually see people PTL'ing to try to get rid of crits. Nope, can't do that bro.

Guy had to boost with his first action into range to use seismic, so seismic torpedo wasn't happening that turn anyway.

It would have been funny if it worked out though, because he was torpedoing the rock his Rey had landed on, in order to give her a shot in the combat phase, rather than eating shots from 3 ships without shooting back.

Guy was sorta a poor sport about losing. It went to time, like all my games that day, and he lost by an 8 point margin because I had half points on his fat Rey and he destroyed Fenn only.
"Well, I don't feel like I lost that game" :jerkbag:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

canyoneer posted:

Guy had to boost with his first action into range to use seismic, so seismic torpedo wasn't happening that turn anyway.

It would have been funny if it worked out though, because he was torpedoing the rock his Rey had landed on, in order to give her a shot in the combat phase, rather than eating shots from 3 ships without shooting back.

Guy was sorta a poor sport about losing. It went to time, like all my games that day, and he lost by an 8 point margin because I had half points on his fat Rey and he destroyed Fenn only.
"Well, I don't feel like I lost that game" :jerkbag:
Thank god for half points on fat ships.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love people like that.

He parked his Rey on a rock, and she couldn't shoot, and he doesn't feel like he lost? :)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You must feel the Victory around you; here, between you, me, the Rey, the rock, everywhere.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

Hey you want X-wings to be good or not?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I played against another interesting list that day.
Delta Squadron Pilot (30)
TIE/x7 (-2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)
Primed Thrusters (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Guy who played it was a really good local player. He took first place in our 96 player bracketed championship.

It was a tricky matchup for me, because none of his stuff could get blocked at PS1, so anytime he missed an action it was was an unforced error self-bump.
Guy pretty much ran a "focus fire" clinic on me, knocking out Fenn first, and then when time was called put the final damage on Manaroo. Zuckuss still had all shields.
I killed a defender in the first round of shooting, and he did a good job evading arcs. Although I always had shots with all my ships, he arranged it well so that I rarely was shooting at the same ship twice in a row, or even twice in the same turn.
I had his remaining two defenders down to hull, and the /fo was nearly dead by the end. Zuckuss couldn't have closed that on his own, but he might have if there was time and only one or two ships left instead of 3.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
ConfusedUs had a really good point earlier in the discussion about X-wings, and I think I agree with him that the first thing that needs to happen to fix X-wings is to errata Biggs's ability to read: "Once per round, when a friendly ship at range 1 is targeted by an attack that may target you instead, you may force the attacker to target your ship instead."

Then X-wings can actually use defensive improvements without Biggs loving it all up, because offense is definitely not the part they need help with.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

ConfusedUs had a really good point earlier in the discussion about X-wings, and I think I agree with him that the first thing that needs to happen to fix X-wings is to errata Biggs's ability to read: "Once per round, when a friendly ship at range 1 is targeted by an attack that may target you instead, you may force the attacker to target your ship instead."

Then X-wings can actually use defensive improvements without Biggs loving it all up, because offense is definitely not the part they need help with.

No what you really need is a droid that lets you change a blank to an evade every time you're attacked, until you've returned fire yourself.

Or maybe a 2-point crew for your falcon that lets you discard the first face-down card each round with the "downside" of flipping one of your other crits face up.

https://teamcovenant.com/star-wars-x-wing/veterans-of-the-alliance

(holy poo poo if Biggs were once-per-round that would be so loving good)

canyoneer posted:

I played against another interesting list that day.
TIE/x7 (-2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)
Primed Thrusters (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Guy who played it was a really good local player. He took first place in our 96 player bracketed championship.

It was a tricky matchup for me, because none of his stuff could get blocked at PS1, so anytime he missed an action it was was an unforced error self-bump.
Guy pretty much ran a "focus fire" clinic on me, knocking out Fenn first, and then when time was called put the final damage on Manaroo. Zuckuss still had all shields.
I killed a defender in the first round of shooting, and he did a good job evading arcs. Although I always had shots with all my ships, he arranged it well so that I rarely was shooting at the same ship twice in a row, or even twice in the same turn.
I had his remaining two defenders down to hull, and the /fo was nearly dead by the end. Zuckuss couldn't have closed that on his own, but he might have if there was time and only one or two ships left instead of 3.

Not sure what I'd do in that matchup, myself. Seems that you could PROBABLY erase one on the first range-1 engagement so long as they roll average.

I might trail with manaroo instead of lead so she can block the k-turns.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

No what you really need is a droid that lets you change a blank to an evade every time you're attacked, until you've returned fire yourself.

Or maybe a 2-point crew for your falcon that lets you discard the first face-down card each round with the "downside" of flipping one of your other crits face up.

https://teamcovenant.com/star-wars-x-wing/veterans-of-the-alliance

(holy poo poo if Biggs were once-per-round that would be so loving good)

It'd be good, but it'd also suffer against multiple ships, and it'd also have a decision making element involved (which is cool and good gameplay) where good maneuvering means you might be able to bluff the Biggs player into not using their ability at all, or the Biggs player might bluff the other player into a targeting priority they prefer without using Biggs at all.

In that link:

Jaldine Gerams's ability is real loving good and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Blue Squadron Veterans are the X-wings we deserve, but also too expensive by a point I think. You can grab a Red Squadron Veteran for 1 point more, but it comes with a tech slot, boost, better dial, and extra shield. Not worth it.

Farns is literally Ka'ato. I would never use them.

Evaan Verlaine is a better Snap Shot in every single way at PS9 and an EPT on top? I like it. Rebel Y-wings probably still need love that's not related to TLTs.

Norra in a Y-wing is... kinda underwhelming. The crew slot on the ARC is what makes her ability so good.

Gold Squadron Veterans should probably actually exist.

"Pops" Krail is... better at using ordnance than most low PS ships, I guess?

Rogue Leader locks you into using non-stress EPTs, so it's basically Predator, VI, and...? Also utterly defeated by Rebel Captive. Would prefer 'receive an evade token'.

Rogue Squadron Pilot is good.

S-foils (Closed) is super loving broken jesus christ. Automatic SLAM on X-wings while still getting actions? Not being able to attack mitigates it kind of, but then it's literally just Advanced SLAM on an X-wing. 4 Straight to 3 hard with a focus/TL at the end of it. S-foils (Open) is more interesting.

"Whistler" is cool because Biggs can't use it.

R4 Astromechs are kind of weird, because you can get 1 point Plasma Torpedoes on X-wings, and that seems kind of sort of broken.

Expanded Cockpit is something that should abso-loving-lutely be a card.

Targeting Torpedo is a more expensive, worse Proton Torpedo because it is badly written and maxes out at 4 attack dice (not the 6 it's supposed to mean).

I am overall on the positive side about this home-brew. I would personally swap Jaldine for a Tycho pilot in an X-wing, but that's about it. I'd come up with my own but that is way better put together than my lovely attempts would be.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Farns takes a token. Any token. Stress? Red target locks? Ion? Tractor beams? Weapons disabled?

That's real good, son.

I also kinda liked the open S-Foils. It'd be great to see X-Wings as these highly maneuverable, hit-and-run fighters. One gets hurt? It GTFOs. Of course it makes "run away until time is called" possible, which really blows.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I didn't realize the implications of any token. Taking weapon disable tokens is pretty lovely and I would really hate its ability to be abused in game.

X-wings as really maneuverable hit and run fighters sounds about right. I don't think they can be too straight-line fast like that S-foils (Closed) though. A sort of reverse TIE Striker ability might be pretty cool though, especially if it's associated with a "may" clause.

"After you perform an attack, if you are not stressed, you may execute a green maneuver on your dial, treating it as white." or something that's not nearly as badly worded as that. Would make Generics R2s really, really loving good though.

EDIT: I think that would actually warrant being a 3 point title even on ships like X-wings that can be considered fairly overcosted in most circumstances. That kind of maneuverability would be insane and their ability to dodge arcs would be ludicrous.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 10, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

I didn't realize the implications of any token. Taking weapon disable tokens is pretty lovely and I would really hate its ability to be abused in game.

X-wings as really maneuverable hit and run fighters sounds about right. I don't think they can be too straight-line fast like that S-foils (Closed) though. A sort of reverse TIE Striker ability might be pretty cool though, especially if it's associated with a "may" clause.

"After you perform an attack, if you are not stressed, you may execute a green maneuver on your dial, treating it as white." or something that's not nearly as badly worded as that. Would make Generics R2s really, really loving good though.

EDIT: I think that would actually warrant being a 3 point title even on ships like X-wings that can be considered fairly overcosted in most circumstances. That kind of maneuverability would be insane and their ability to dodge arcs would be ludicrous.

Eh, limit it like Ailerons to specific maneuvers. The 1 straits and banks are reasonable. Could lead to hilarious situations where your high PS guys shoot at range 1, then maneuver into a bump to deny the return shot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Eh, limit it like Ailerons to specific maneuvers. The 1 straits and banks are reasonable. Could lead to hilarious situations where your high PS guys shoot at range 1, then maneuver into a bump to deny the return shot.

I like it. I thought about "execute a 1-speed maneuver on your dial as a white maneuver". Thinking about it, that would also trigger R2 Astromech qualifying as a green maneuver, but if the requirement is to be unstressed it wouldn't matter any.

Man, that would also make high PS X-wings the best jousters in the game again. Line up a range 1 shot, and then not even get shot in return by your target.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

I like it. I thought about "execute a 1-speed maneuver on your dial as a white maneuver". Thinking about it, that would also trigger R2 Astromech qualifying as a green maneuver, but if the requirement is to be unstressed it wouldn't matter any.

Man, that would also make high PS X-wings the best jousters in the game again. Line up a range 1 shot, and then not even get shot in return by your target.

Yeah, I think the "maneuver after attack" idea has some serious potential. I could see limiting it to 1-banks and 1-straights, or just any straight maneuver. Shoot, then fly right by.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It'd also reward playing hard with bumps, because you could bump into someone, shoot something behind them, and then maneuver out of the way to keep your options open for the next turn. FFG please do this it would be great.

Give me a "Rebels and Rogues" double pack with X-wing and Y-wing stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

It'd also reward playing hard with bumps, because you could bump into someone, shoot something behind them, and then maneuver out of the way to keep your options open for the next turn. FFG please do this it would be great.

Give me a "Rebels and Rogues" double pack with X-wing and Y-wing stuff.

The maneuvering game is my favorite part of X-Wing and I'd dearly love to see things like this.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

This fits what we see in the big battle at end of ANH, too. I think there are a couple different times where they practically fly through blown up TIEs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think I have it.

S-Foils (Attack): After you perform an attack, if you are not stressed, you may executee a 1-speed maneuver on your dial as a white maneuver.

S-Foils (Cruise): At the end of the Combat Phase, if you did not perform an attack this round, you may execute a 2-speed maneuver on your dial as a white maneuver.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

You must feel the Victory around you; here, between you, me, the Rey, the rock, everywhere.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

The maneuvering game is my favorite part of X-Wing and I'd dearly love to see things like this.

The tough part now is figuring out flip conditions. I think going from Cruise to Attack should be an action. There are enough ways to get action economy that it wouldn't hurt the aces, and on the generics you can field several of them to make up for it. Plus you'd be able to mitigate the necessity of defensive focus by simply dodging away. Or don't flip it at all, and you'd have the same performance as a regular X-wing without the title.

Going from Attack to Cruise may hinge on attack/not attacking? The card trigger is at the end of the combat phase, so if you have the flip trigger at pilot skill order (actionless) you could swap to which one you need for that turn when you need it. This would keep generics from getting totally hosed by arc dodgers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think there are three good triggers here.

At the end of the activation phase: Use this if you want all pilots (generic or not) to be able to adapt to the current conditions in an optimal fashion.

After executing a maneuver: Use this if you want high PS pilots to have an advantage over the generics. The higher your PS, the better chance you have of choosing the optimal result.

Any time between the end of combat and the start of activation (doesn't really matter): Use this if you want there to be some question on which position to place the foils. Use this if choosing the optimal result should be difficult for everyone.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 10, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Have the flip condition be part of the maneuver execution?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Some Numbers posted:

Have the flip condition be part of the maneuver execution?

This results in a couple intersections where you might get the benefit of both, depending on the upgrade, so the different sides have to have a mutual contradiction in terms so you can't game it like that.

I honestly think Cruise to Attack should be an action. Keeping in mind that attacking while in Cruise would be possible, it would just be an X-wing's natural stats. Switching to Attack should be something that you do if you have a joust lined up, or you have a PS advantage and want to be able to get out of arc before the attack hits, or you want to set up a good move next turn that otherwise isn't possible. It'd reward EPTs like VI, Predator, and Expertise on aces, and make things like Push the Limit and Opportunist difficult to use but certainly not impossible especially if there are stress mitigating possibilities.

Attack to Cruise I picked at the end of the Combat Phase because it triggers before Corran, but also after shots have been fired so you can't use it as a "whoops I hosed up time to take no damage!" button.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
So I started playing this again last night and noticed that I'm drowning in chips and tokens. What's a reasonable number of focus/stress/evade/shield/TL etc tokens to hold onto?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

30 shields, 15 everything else. I keep extras around but separated in case I could use them for other boardgames. The focus and locks could conceivably be really handy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

This happened to me

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Sweet, thanks Chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Scratch that. You want 30 stress in case you get the itch to play Zuckuss or Tycho.

• Locked thread