Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

Well, sort of. Supposedly Rob doesn't actually own any of his Extreme/Maximum stuff anymore.
What's this based on? At least as of the most recent "Extreme" book published (Prophet Earth War #6, November 2016) the copyright page says everything is C/TM "Rob Liefeld" and that book contains characters from Prophet and Youngblood and etc.

Also the movie deal announced last week describes the option being sold by Rob Liefeld.

I know that the sequence from Image to Maximum to Awesome to Arcade to whatever may have been in part to run from creditors, but at no point did I ever hear that he lost the rights to anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Can the costume thread be unlocked?

It's urgent.

Scarlet Spider's doctors told him he could never be Spider-man due to his horribly deformed shrunken right leg, but he didn't let that stop him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

That's nice and all but I, and I assume Gros, have the first two collections on our shelves and want the rest that way. At least Vertigo books seem to make it out, although I half expect the Unwritten deluxes to stop after a couple.

Feel my pain. I am still waiting for DC to release volume 2 of Moench/Jones' Batman.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Madkal posted:

Feel my pain. I am still waiting for DC to release volume 2 of Moench/Jones' Batman.

Same. poo poo, I thought the hardcover release meant DC would definitely follow through with the rest. At least there appears to be a 2nd Perez WW omni coming out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zachack posted:

That's nice and all but I, and I assume Gros, have the first two collections on our shelves and want the rest that way. At least Vertigo books seem to make it out, although I half expect the Unwritten deluxes to stop after a couple.

Bingo. I'm getting tired of DC doing this too, they did it with "Bwahahaha" era JLI, they did it with Moench/Jones Batman, I hope they don't with Waid's Flash but they better not.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The '90s Resurrection Man was only supposed to be two volumes, and they couldn't even manage that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Probably 40-50% of the remaining DC on my shelf is poo poo they began collecting and stopped. It's like a giant neon reminder to never trust their trades department.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bingo. I'm getting tired of DC doing this too, they did it with "Bwahahaha" era JLI, they did it with Moench/Jones Batman, I hope they don't with Waid's Flash but they better not.

Volume two is solicited for later this year and I think it has cover art and everything. Whether it'll get past that remains to be seen but they've done a fairly good job of keeping the Ostrander Suicide Squad going. I believe they're also publishing the Starman Vol. 4 omnibus in paperback after all, having previously indicated that they wouldn't be. The second Wonder Woman by George Pérez omnibus is due out soon.

One thing Marvel's had in the past that DC has lacked is a TPB line they can use to release creator-focused or run-focused reprint collections. Marvel used to have the Visionaries line (e.g. Hulk Visionaries for Peter David, Fantastic Four Visionaries for John Byrne, Thor Visionaries for Walter Simonson, Excalibur Visionaries for Alan Davis) and the Classic line (e.g. Thunderbolts Classic, New Mutants Classic, New Warriors Classic, Deadpool Classic), and they currently have the Epic Collection line (which continues to expand) and more bespoke multi-volume creator-focused releases (e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy by Jim Valentino, Black Panther by Christopher Priest etc.).

DC sometimes does the latter sort (provided your name is Geoff Johns) but they don't have any kind of "Superman Visionaries: Elliot S! Maggin" or "Flash Visionaries: Cary Bates" or "The Power of Shazam Classic" or anything like that. On the whole they seem a bit more scattershot. What DC seems to be going in for is releasing collections which correspond to "age". They've got Golden Age and Silver Age omnibuses (and corresponding trade paperback editions) for Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, the Justice League and many others. They're putting out a Bronze Age Justice League Vol. 1 omnibus later this year that I'm looking forward to.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Teen Titans is still getting new trades put out as well. It would be really nice if they didn't release five months apart though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

New Teen Titans is still getting new trades put out as well. It would be really nice if they didn't release five months apart though.

It's better than the mess that the omnibuses ended up in.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Having since read it, the stuff posted in the funny panels thread from Captain America #17 were so ridiculously cherry-picked to get outraged about.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

Having since read it, the stuff posted in the funny panels thread from Captain America #17 were so ridiculously cherry-picked to get outraged about.

Can people think something is dumb and stupid without it being labeled outrage?

...Frank Cho?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

...Frank Cho?

I think Frank Cho is dumb and stupid.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Same.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Agree

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

I think Frank Cho is dumb and stupid.

Lol how could you be outraged, unlike me the most logical man to exist.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WickedHate posted:

Yes.

I think repeatedly engaging in a page-long thread derail using out of context quotes that are explicitly countered by the full text easily crosses the large grey area between the two.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That is just my opinion, though. I apologise for my choice of words if you feel "outraged" was perhaps too strong a descriptor for the occurrence. "Thing I strongly feel needs to be said repeatedly instead of simply moving on" is probably more accurate, but hasn't entered the lexicon yet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I mean, I didn't read the issue, but I don't know how context could make the pages posted less ridiculous and cringy. Even if it was cherry picked or whatever, what I saw with my own two eyes was pretty dire.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With Twitter, there's no room for hot issues to come up with any context. Nobody's actually gonna read a comic, silly billy.

edit: Especially with Sam Wilson. Remember the supposedly underage Zola's daughter relationship brouhaha?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 11, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Like, the activists are ridiculously over the top in every single panel. "Consider this your trigger warning" is dumb and stupid, but all of their dialogue is that level of over the top stupid to the point of farce. They're supposed to be extremists but even when they are trying to murder someone they aren't portrayed as villainous or hostile as the Tomi character who does nothing in the issue but talk.

The page posted as Sam Wilson "apologising" to Steve Rogers. Steve Rogers isn't in the entire comic, let alone the same room. He's alone and just expressing his exasperation at now being on the other side of dealing with a passionate sidekick he can't control.

This panel where he's giving Rage the talk about compromising and toning it down?

That ellipsis is him in the very next panel saying "but you were right earlier - I would've played it safe and that would've been the wrong decision. I need you to keep reminding me not to compromise." Which goes back to his 'apology' and what I would say is the point of the issue, that is him realising he's now the conservative whose instinct is to moderate his radical younger associates but trying to bring that into balance with knowing how important radicalism is having once been one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Consider this your trigger warning!" was a funny line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, let's not derail about this comic any further. It's been done to death at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why is Falcon's sidekick a luchadore?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's Rage, a very unsubtle character from the early 90s avengers who spent all his time getting really mad at how racist honkeys are.

Like, that's literally all he ever did. He has some backstory but basically he was just ANGRY BLACK MAN.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
He is like 15 too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Luchadore masks are sacred, you can't just go put one on because you want to. You have to earn it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Rage was an attempt at a Billy Batson Captail Marvel type character where it's a kid who transforms into an adult. Darkhawk was the same way, and was around at the same time. They both ended up in the New Warriors, where Rage got a better costume.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

He is like 15 too.

More like 12 or possibly younger, hence the "he has some backstory". I get that it was a sincere attempt at introducing some racial discussions into a punchfight superhero comic and that making him a kid who's secretly a sweetheart is meant to explain his boisterous attitude, but he's still kind of an embarrassing character who was about as subtle as a law and order episode.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Rage was an attempt at a Billy Batson Captail Marvel type character where it's a kid who transforms into an adult. Darkhawk was the same way, and was around at the same time. They both ended up in the New Warriors, where Rage got a better costume.

Ditto for Slapstick. And maybe Sleepwalker? But that guy might've been older.

That a was weird time for "new" comic characters in Marvel, where they were all kids or black men on skateboards.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think Darkhawk and Sleepwalker were both late teens. RIP darkhawk

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ferrule posted:

Ditto for Slapstick. And maybe Sleepwalker? But that guy might've been older.

That a was weird time for "new" comic characters in Marvel, where they were all kids or black men on skateboards.

Dwayne McDuffie was a treasure.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I became disappointed in that memo when I found out that Dark Wheelie wasn't real. Because three characters like that would've actually been some kind of trend. Whereas two characters that were actually created over a decade apart from each other really doesn't set up the premise as well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I was reading Acts of Vengeance earlier in the week and oh god Night Thrasher really did get too excited and needed Namorita to help him chill out.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Speaking of Night Thrasher, that Contest of Champions miniseries was better than it had any right to be. And set up a bunch of potential stuff (Outlaw's new thing, a new super-hero team, entirely new French Female Superhero, loving Ares literally getting yanked out of his happy afterlife to come back to Earth) that I'm sad isn't ever going to get referenced, except maybe some small thing years from now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KaosMachina posted:

Speaking of Night Thrasher, that Contest of Champions miniseries was better than it had any right to be. And set up a bunch of potential stuff (Outlaw's new thing, a new super-hero team, entirely new French Female Superhero, loving Ares literally getting yanked out of his happy afterlife to come back to Earth) that I'm sad isn't ever going to get referenced, except maybe some small thing years from now.

Al Ewing wrote it and he's been shown to be a continuity geek, he'll come back around to parts of it eventually.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've thoroughly enjoyed everything Ewing has written so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I've thoroughly enjoyed everything Ewing has written so far.

Yeah, I love his fondness for underused characters. Plus he resurrected Night Thrasher, which is a huge plus in my book.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does anybody know of any good articles or blog entries about the New Gods/Fourth World stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does anybody know of any good articles or blog entries about the New Gods/Fourth World stuff?

I found this to be a pretty helpful and entertaining summary/review of post-Kirby Fourth World: http://www.savagecritic.com/reviews/seems-like-even-the-gods-have-their-accidents-comics-sometimes-the-king-is-still-dead/

• Locked thread