Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hostile V posted:

Oh, as good a place as any to put this, but:
https://twitter.com/Almost_Anna/status/818826930271227904

While you're at it, delete any information you can find through this site by following the steps entailed in the following tweets.

Jesus. Good thing nobody knows my real name is Mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I just spent the last 3 hours trying to get Sundance tickets because their site refused to work correctly for me. That was fun. I got some but I also lost two in the process, including one I really wanted to see. Ah well...

Edit: ...and tickets for the some I really wanted to see opened up again. woo

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 10, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Coffee And Pie posted:

They'll never discover that my real name is Rumpelstiltskin Dumbledore Jabberwocky :sweatdrop:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coffee And Pie posted:

oh poo poo same.

someone put me in witness protection. the larry the cable guy one.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
There's also this for checking if you've got any breached accounts in the wild: https://haveibeenpwned.com

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's really funny that it was seen as cheap and tasteless in the UK, it's extremely well acted.

One can never underestimate the snootiness of the Brit critical establishment. Where are the Alex Cox's of yesteryear?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I can't decide if Nocturnal Animals would be better or worse if you cut out all scenes taking place in the 'real' world.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hodgepodge posted:

They'll never discover that my real name is Rumpelstiltskin Dumbledore Jabberwocky :sweatdrop:

Nice to meet you! I'm Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm Magnus Magnus Magnusson.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
aight help me cined you're my only hope

my tv overscans like a motherfucker but only when i use my roku, which coincidentally is when i give the biggest gently caress about overscan. i cant disable it when my roku is hooked up because ????? so i'm looking to replace this pos with something slightly newer

it needs to be a) not a billion dollars and 2) have 1:1 pixel mapping slash the option to turn that overscan poo poo the gently caress off all the time

pls help

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't decide if Nocturnal Animals would be better or worse if you cut out all scenes taking place in the 'real' world.

Way worse - the novel is largely just lurid tripe with 'autobiographical' details, the point is that the protagonist makes it about some sadomasochistic frenzy. It's basically a good version of 50 Shades of Grey.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Just watched Audition for the first time and holy moly. I've never seen a movie do that scene so well. Restraint is the key word that every single movie that tried to do this but MORE XXTREEEEEMEEEE doesn't understand is what makes the final twenty minutes so goddamned powerful. At the same time, I sort of wish the movie stuck with the it was all a dream ending because it seems more cohesive to be a film about a father's fear and anxiety at dating after becoming a widow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My cat's gonna need dental surgery cuz he chipped a toof and it got infected.

There goes my entertainment budget for the next two months.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rob a bank for your furbaby.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Rob a bank for your furbaby.

I barely know Shmorky.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Same except because I'm constantly watching tokusatsu

Do you still Dickstream?

married but discreet posted:

2017 starting good with the realization that online nazi hate squads are apparently a thing.

Apparently you've never seen the youtube comments section/imdb forums/the comments section on anything ever.

ynohtna posted:

There's also this for checking if you've got any breached accounts in the wild: https://haveibeenpwned.com

Oh no! It looks like my Myspace page has been compromised!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

That DICK! posted:

Me, 2016: holy poo poo

Me, 2017: pissssss

New CIA report is kinda wild.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/314771578850275329

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CPL593H posted:

Do you still Dickstream?

Speaking of

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

CPL593H posted:

Apparently you've never seen the youtube comments section/imdb forums/the comments section on anything ever.

I wish I hadn't. The shocking part isn't that these people exist, but that they are now apparently comfortable enough to actively try to go after others. One can only hope for them to get an old fashioned fash bashing or at least public shaming.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

MORE MONEY=BETTER THAN

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd do whatever is necessary for my cats. I'd even sell my The Third Man Criterion Blu-Ray. They're worth it. :3:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there a specific term for that kind of scene transition in the Lawrence of Arabia matchstick shot - that hard cut from a close-up to an extreme long shot?

If not, can anyone think of any other really effective examples of it off the top of their head?

Technically, it's a jump cut.

Cool thing: David Lean initially intended it to be a loooooong dissolve from Lawrence blowing out the match to the sunrise. Anne V. Coates put the jump edit in as temporary since the dissolve would have to be an optical or A/B dissolve (created when making actual 70mm prints). Lean loved how it looked and only asked for the cut to be moved up by two frames.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Egbert Souse posted:

Cool thing: David Lean initially intended it to be a loooooong dissolve from Lawrence blowing out the match to the sunrise. Anne V. Coates put the jump edit in as temporary since the dissolve would have to be an optical or A/B dissolve (created when making actual 70mm prints). Lean loved how it looked and only asked for the cut to be moved up by two frames.

My favourite example in recent memory is the one in Gone Girl that cuts from Affleck and Pike kissing to Affleck getting a cheek swab.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd do whatever is necessary for my cats. I'd even sell my The Third Man Criterion Blu-Ray. They're worth it. :3:

Same here, but it doesn't mean I enjoy paying out the rear end for something that'd cost me nothing if it was done on me. Stupid lack of pet universal healthcare.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
My mother just sent me a message that said #goldenshowers and this is gonna be world history's goofiest coup

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 11, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I would've said "smash cut" but I dunno if that's a real term or just a cool thing people say

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWlSjZeOw1E

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would've said "smash cut" but I dunno if that's a real term or just a cool thing people say

It's called Dynamism, if I'm remembering my film studies class correctly

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If I were a script reader, I'd automatically throw any screenplays into the shredder if they have even just one instance of "SMASH CUT"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

My cat's gonna need dental surgery cuz he chipped a toof and it got infected.

There goes my entertainment budget for the next two months.

One of our cats has had ear problems for the past two years, and the polyp that was in his inner ear is now moving to the outer ear canal. We could have surgery done, but at his age (he's a rescue, but best guess is he's about 16 or 17; my wife adopted him shortly after we started dating in 2004), anesthesia is risky, it's incredibly expensive, and it might only work for a few months before the polyp returns ... which means we now have to start thinking about quality of life. And right now he basically sleeps all day in his favorite cardboard box and gets up to eat and use the litterbox (and when he shakes his head to try to relieve the irritation in his ear, he spatters blood on his box). He doesn't even come up to bed and snuggle with me anymore ... although the last time he did, I woke up with my arm covered in blood-ooze from his ear.

I keep putting on a strong face because my wife is clearly thinking we should put him to sleep and she really doesn't want to do that, but when that dumb bastard goes I'll be a mess.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't a jump cut where it's a shot from the same or similar angle so that the cut is extremely visibile and makes objects or people seemingly "jump" suddenly?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
While we are at it, whats the term for a scene transition where the sound of the next scene starts before the last one is finished? It's always jarring and I don't quite get what the intended effect is supposed to be.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

If I were a script reader, I'd automatically throw any screenplays into the shredder if they have even just one instance of "SMASH CUT"

all of the best screenplays do this

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't a jump cut where it's a shot from the same or similar angle so that the cut is extremely visibile and makes objects or people seemingly "jump" suddenly?

I was under this impression too, like in Breathless.

edit: bow before the god Wikipedia Jump cut vs. Smash cut

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 11, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timby posted:

One of our cats has had ear problems for the past two years, and the polyp that was in his inner ear is now moving to the outer ear canal. We could have surgery done, but at his age (he's a rescue, but best guess is he's about 16 or 17; my wife adopted him shortly after we started dating in 2004), anesthesia is risky, it's incredibly expensive, and it might only work for a few months before the polyp returns ... which means we now have to start thinking about quality of life. And right now he basically sleeps all day in his favorite cardboard box and gets up to eat and use the litterbox (and when he shakes his head to try to relieve the irritation in his ear, he spatters blood on his box). He doesn't even come up to bed and snuggle with me anymore ... although the last time he did, I woke up with my arm covered in blood-ooze from his ear.

I keep putting on a strong face because my wife is clearly thinking we should put him to sleep and she really doesn't want to do that, but when that dumb bastard goes I'll be a mess.

That's way worse than my situation, and you have my sympathies. I'm gonna lose my poo poo when that time comes for my cats. Other than momentary discomfort and looking like a one-tooth doofus, my cat's gonna be fine. I just wish I'd caught the chipped tooth sooner so we could've avoided all this. His gums are pretty swollen right now, even after the anti-biotic shot. I'd have sprung for painkillers, but they really don't do much for infections.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

married but discreet posted:

While we are at it, whats the term for a scene transition where the sound of the next scene starts before the last one is finished? It's always jarring and I don't quite get what the intended effect is supposed to be.

That's an L or J cut, depending on whether the visual or audio changes first (because on film, you have the audio recording as a separate track under the image, so if you cut the image out first and leave the audio, you get an L-shaped piece of film and vice versa).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I can die happy if I see the piss tape.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

That's way worse than my situation, and you have my sympathies. I'm gonna lose my poo poo when that time comes for my cats. Other than momentary discomfort and looking like a one-tooth doofus, my cat's gonna be fine. I just wish I'd caught the chipped tooth sooner so we could've avoided all this. His gums are pretty swollen right now, even after the anti-biotic shot. I'd have sprung for painkillers, but they really don't do much for infections.

The funny thing is, I don't even like cats, but the minute this idiot saw me when I drove up to Madison for a visit with my now-wife, he just imprinted on me and decided he was going to be attached to me forever.

Like, when my wife and I reconciled and I moved back to Wisconsin after my year in Baltimore, I walked in the apartment door, Spike took one look at me and actually fell over and almost started hyperventilating.

A goofy cat (this was when we were packing boxes because we were getting ready to move to our house and I guess he didn't want to be left behind):

Edit: Jesus, that was less than two years ago and it's depressing to realize how much weight he's lost.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 11, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq0G2ydh8Zg

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

all of the best screenplays do this

I was under this impression too, like in Breathless.

edit: bow before the god Wikipedia Jump cut vs. Smash cut

Toebone also mentioned a match cut, which Wikipedia seems to agree with w/r/t the shot in Lawrence of Arabia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_cut

Seems like it's basically a jump cut but instead of it being a jarring transition, there is supposed to be some element of metaphorical continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timby posted:

The funny thing is, I don't even like cats, but the minute this idiot saw me when I drove up to Madison for a visit with my now-wife, he just imprinted on me and decided he was going to be attached to me forever.

Like, when my wife and I reconciled and I moved back to Wisconsin after my year in Baltimore, I walked in the apartment door, Spike took one look at me and actually fell over and almost started hyperventilating.

A goofy cat (this was when we were packing boxes because we were getting ready to move to our house and I guess he didn't want to be left behind):

Edit: Jesus, that was less than two years ago and it's depressing to realize how much weight he's lost.

It's not about liking cats, it's about this cat being your friend.

• Locked thread