Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm still looking for third party fantasy heads. Specifically non-goofy skulls and Dark Souls type helmets. What are your go tos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How does pinning work? I wanna make some aircraft bases out of model aircraft but I would need to pin. How does this do

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on masking tape, while not perfect them came out 100 times better.

I think apply varnish after applying the masking tape diamonds when a really long way to prevent bleeding. Now I just need to finish painting the bikes and paint the riders.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone have a portable painting station set up that they really like? I'd like something that is easily stowed away, basically, since I don't have a dedicated table or desk.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does anyone have a portable painting station set up that they really like? I'd like something that is easily stowed away, basically, since I don't have a dedicated table or desk.

Warlord Games has some painting stations

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

HobbyZone.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pierzak posted:

HobbyZone.

This is the answer IMO. I have their pro paint station it rules

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on masking tape, while not perfect them came out 100 times better.

I think apply varnish after applying the masking tape diamonds when a really long way to prevent bleeding. Now I just need to finish painting the bikes and paint the riders.

That's some pro poo poo right there dude.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

That's awesome, I'll have to try the same with some minis of mine.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

That's some pro poo poo right there dude.

Thanks, one of my hobby goals is to really improve my airbrush skills for this year. hopefull the gradients will get neater as I improve.

Weirdo posted:

That's awesome, I'll have to try the same with some minis of mine.

I used Tamiya tape and liquitex gloss varnish. I think the tape might also be important as it is significantly thinner than the 3m scotch, which created a smaller space for pooling wet paint, which caused sharper lines to form.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Star Man posted:

Go to an art supply store like Guiry's or Michael's and get a brush cleaning jar with a metail coil in it. Just fill it with water--no fancy brush cleaning soap. Stroking the coil with your brush will remove paint from it and it will simk to the bottom. Don't run it along the course of the coil, just stroke it across the diameter of the coil. They look like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/silicoil-brush-cleaning-tank/

Does anyone know where I can get one of those in the UK? not having a huge amount of luck with google.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Been a couple months since I've painted, but I recently picked up some Skitarii and have been painting them.

here's the second one I did. I'm much happier with this one, although I do need to work on my brush control. Also, i can't ever seem to get really crisp contrast and lines between colors. Do you think it might be because my paint isn't watered down enough?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

HobbyZone.

Thirded.

Though it's been a few days, thanks to all who responded regarding the airbrush PSI recommendations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Pierzak posted:

HobbyZone.

HobbyZone is amazing. If you're in Europe, use their main store, but if you're in the US, they have a local distributor.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

HobbyZone is amazing. If you're in Europe, use their main store, but if you're in the US, they have a local distributor.

Please note that, as with all things in this online age, I purchased my station (including shipping) via Ebay for less than the distributor charges.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have this thing and I love it. Especially since I can bring it with and paint on long train rides with it.

http://frontierwargaming.com/?product=paint-case

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

I have this thing and I love it. Especially since I can bring it with and paint on long train rides with it.

I've been looking at that thing but couldn't find reviews. Build quality pretty good?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Shadin posted:

I've been looking at that thing but couldn't find reviews. Build quality pretty good?

Yeah, my only complaint is the glue on a couple of the acrylic windows wasn't strong enough to hold it for repeated pullings, but that was easily fixed by just super gluing them back on.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

I appreciate the hell out of the concept, but cases like this just scream "ugly, uncomfortable, and difficult to carry, heavy wooden box banging against everything."

Though, on the other hand, it would be a great portable station at home, where I could just close it up and not have to worry about the puppy eating a unit of 10mm Elf spearmen.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It actually doesn't bang around on stuff much. I don't know if its the handle placement coupled with the heft of it (its not heavy loaded out but you certainly notice it more than a plastic army case) but it doesn't sway much at all while carrying. I actually kind of like the look, but that is of course subjective and I bought it much more for utility than aesthetics.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Any suggestions for a colour to use as highlight for Citadel's Zamesi Desert? I'm using Zamesi as the armour colour on Tau and I'm a bit stumped. I guess maybe Zandri Dust or Ushabti Bone.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

berzerkmonkey posted:

Please note that, as with all things in this online age, I purchased my station (including shipping) via Ebay for less than the distributor charges.

It's hard to beat free shipping though, which you can get from the US distributor for orders of $80(?) or more.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's hard to beat free shipping though, which you can get from the US distributor for orders of $80(?) or more.

True, but I only ordered the one station, so it worked out to be cheaper for me.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Any advice on fixing/improving damage done by filing a plastic mini? My ebay rescues have had their mold lines removed with agressive filing and plastic's gone fluffy

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ayn Marx posted:

Any advice on fixing/improving damage done by filing a plastic mini? My ebay rescues have had their mold lines removed with agressive filing and plastic's gone fluffy

Brushing a small dot of liquid poly cement can be used to smooth out any fuzz, just be careful not to use too much and melt the detail.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm gonna magnetize a handful of bases and mail some models in Royal Dansk cookie tin.

What kind of packing material should I add in there to make this a less awful idea?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
sowing supplies and safety-pins
Bubblewrap and foam are probably your safest bets.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

I'm gonna magnetize a handful of bases and mail some models in Royal Dansk cookie tin.

What kind of packing material should I add in there to make this a less awful idea?
You could cut some pick and pluck foam to fit the tin

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I save my plucked pick and pluck to masturbate on use for further packing.

Those rolls of thin packing for is good for wading up and stuffing with, it's the stuff you'd use to separate plates if you were a normal person.

E: you know I'm kinda upset now that somebody linked the is distributor for for hobbyzone. I spent more on the warlord games paint station and that poo poo hasn't even shipped yet. Might cancel depending on what WLG says about my order.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 11, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thanks guys, I'll try to find some cheap foam, and then wrap the whole deal in bubblewrap before boxing.

As inspired by another goon I'm working on this little buddy.

EDIT:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 11, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

mango sentinel posted:

Thanks guys, I'll try to find some cheap foam, and then wrap the whole deal in bubblewrap before boxing.

As inspired by another goon I'm working on this little buddy.

EDIT:

poo poo, you nailed a color scheme better than I did. Awesome job!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I have a difficult time picking out detail so I'm gonna go back and use for reference for the separation and the satchel, yours looks better IMO 😋

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Have some pictures!

Had a sick day today, so I did the priest and the Astropath.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think he's done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.
Pretty much done with my biggest model yet! Also, several other models included in the last shot which have the finished basing. http://imgur.com/a/fquwj

Also included, my messy workstation:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
2 year progress report. Had the guy on the left pop up on my Facebook memories thing, which means it's 2 years since I got back into the hobby. He was the first mini I painted since my return. One on the right is the latest one I've finished.

Learned a lot with the Wood Elf - purposefully tried to go for brighter highlights than usual, so they actually stand out in the darkened rooms I normally play in. Had some fun with glazes and tried to shade fabric better. Cursed having to paint in detail that the model lacked. Learned when to step back, say "it's done" and stop meddling - I kept trying to correct mistakes I'd made on the face and quiver, and just ended up making them worse.

For people who use Didi's Magic Ink - what's your workflow? I've been trying it on a few minis and had varying results. I know you're supposed to varnish the mini before applying, but should this be at the gloss stage where the surface is smooth, or once the matte coat is applied, giving it something to bind to?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This came in the mail yesterday. It's loving awesome. I've just been using an LED desk lamp and holding my minis in my hand while painting this whole time.

Being able to hold it perfectly steady by the base so I don't accidentally chip paint is the best. And it actually comes with the batteries! :monocle: But seriously, genuinely couldn't be more pleased for the price.

Also, I know a few pages back someone posted a picture of their fruity disco space marine that had a really cool starry / outer space looking cloak, but I'm on mobile and can't find it / don't have the data to scroll through pages and pages of pictures :( anyone able to link a tutorial on how to achieve that kind of effect? I've attempted a few different approaches myself but it looks like poo poo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

glitchkrieg posted:

For people who use Didi's Magic Ink - what's your workflow? I've been trying it on a few minis and had varying results. I know you're supposed to varnish the mini before applying, but should this be at the gloss stage where the surface is smooth, or once the matte coat is applied, giving it something to bind to?

I'd use it over gloss. Didi's is very thin and is designed to flow into crevices while leaving the large surfaces relatively bare. The real reason to varnish though is because if you put it on bare paint it has a tendency to hydrate the paint and wipe it off. The best use for it is over highly detailed, pitted surfaces like fur and chainmail.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone have the new Thousand Sons blue and Ahriman blue and can compare them to P3 Trollblood Base?

Also, can anyone recommend some good industrial bases for a Stealer Cult? I have some sheets of plastic textured to look like steel but I don't fancy cutting out a full army's worth.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

signalnoise posted:

I'd use it over gloss. Didi's is very thin and is designed to flow into crevices while leaving the large surfaces relatively bare. The real reason to varnish though is because if you put it on bare paint it has a tendency to hydrate the paint and wipe it off. The best use for it is over highly detailed, pitted surfaces like fur and chainmail.

Do you slather it over like a wash, and then let surface tension take over? I apply it more delicately in the areas you want it to "pool"?