Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Videogame reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Daius posted:

Videogame reference

Please carve this into my headstone.

*E* Hell, carve it into Smitty's.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Slime posted:

I'm now realizing that Annie did almost nothing during this whole thing.

Hey, she's appeared in at least 500 panels gazing in confusion at all the action going on around her. That counts as something, surely?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Slime posted:

I'm now realizing that Annie did almost nothing during this whole thing. Wasted party slot, lockpicking barely costs any skill points at all. loving noob party, dkp minus.

She kinda flubbed with the arrow but she should have a relatively big part coming up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

She's got three souls to take home.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

She's got three souls to take home.

She'll try to keep Smitty's soul in his body until they can bip him to the hospital, but there'll be a mixup and, long story short, it'll be Jeanne's soul in Smitty's body.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

She'll try to keep Smitty's soul in his body until they can bip him to the hospital, but there'll be a mixup and, long story short, it'll be Jeanne's soul in Smitty's body.

I wish Freaky Friday had a theme song.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Come on, Smitty ain't gonna die.

There's just going to be a series of surgeries followed by an incredibly long and painful rehabilitation. That's more Tom's speed.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

There's just going to be a series of surgeries followed by an incredibly long and painful rehabilitation. That's more Tom's speed.

Kat can make robots right? And she's not afraid to play god? What if she makes Smitty a cyborg?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What if he already was?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RandomPauI posted:

Kat can make robots right? And she's not afraid to play god? What if she makes Smitty a cyborg?

I'd love to see Robot's reaction to Kat putting a biomechanical arm on an organic person.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Jetamo posted:

He could still be pretty lucky and not actually die from his wound, y'know.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RandomPauI posted:

Does Jones know Smitty is a robot? They should totally hang out!

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Smitty is dying, Annie. Maybe you should be useful for once in this chapter and tell Parley to make with the teleporting now?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

annie what

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah she's pretty loving chill about one of her friends dying like 10 feet away.

Her entire mood shift since she got onshore feels really off.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Guessing she's in Guide Mode right now. Remember how she acted when she guided Mort into the ether, she was pretty much emotionless until after he had completely disappeared, then collapsed crying in Kat's arms.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Where is Kat going with that wood beam?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sam Sanskrit posted:

its the arrow

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

"I'm glad that this plan is being pulled off without a hitch" - Antimony Carver, good friend

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the half of you complaining about Annie being useless and the half of you complaining about Annie not paying attention to Smitty should meet. Her primary role in this thing was to bring Jeanne to the afterlife once she's receptive to it, and as we saw in that hospital flashback chapter, sometimes guides need to be all calm and reassuring and such. There isn't anything Annie can do for Smitty, she was rushing to shore when she saw Jeanne attack him, but now it's hospital or nothing for him, and Annie needs to get the murderghost and her boyfriend out of here.

Like, I'm sure Annie's going to be sad very soon, but it's still the heat of the moment (pages aren't minutes) and there are still two messed up ghosts standing between her and him and ignoring them might not be a good idea, especially when she's the only one who can productively deal with them at this point.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 11, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not seeing a bip from offpanel, Parley, why am I not seeing a bip.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, the half of you complaining about Annie being useless and the half of you complaining about Annie not paying attention to Smitty should meet. Her primary role in this thing was to bring Jeanne to the afterlife once she's receptive to it, and as we saw in that hospital flashback chapter, sometimes guides need to be all calm and reassuring and such. There isn't anything Annie can do for Smitty, she was rushing to shore when she saw Jeanne attack him, but now it's hospital or nothing for him, and Annie needs to get the murderghost and her boyfriend out of here.

It's mostly just a holdover from her being :kimchi: about getting her hairclip back from elfzombie which was really offputting

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
"Yeah love, bleedin' strong current today. Felt like I was pinned down!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Daius posted:

"I'm glad that this plan is being pulled off without a hitch" - Antimony Carver, good friend

Don't worry. It's not her blood.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

It's mostly just a holdover from her being :kimchi: about getting her hairclip back from elfzombie which was really offputting

I can accept that smile as a wave of relief.

You're terrified, your friend just got ganked, a zombie grabs your foot and reaches towards you, and suddenly... it's a friendly sentimental gesture and you realize that you'll at least be able to solve the profound problem you all risked your lives to come here for.

And now she's just in Service Industry mode. Your emotions don't count when it's your job.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Smitty is dying, Annie. Maybe you should be useful for once in this chapter and tell Parley to make with the teleporting now?

Look, Annie is busy doing the guide thing now. Parley should be able to figure out that she needs to teleport Smitty to a drat hospital on her own.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Afterlife guide is a commission based position.

This isn't even a joke, guides get some kind of nebulous benefit for each soul they sacrifice to the ether and she has 2, possibly 3 solid leads here.

e: Gillitie Glen Ross

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

Afterlife guide is a commission based position.

This isn't even a joke, guides get some kind of nebulous benefit for each soul they sacrifice to the ether and she has 2, possibly 3 solid leads here.

e: Gillitie Glen Ross

ABC Always Be Conducting

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Neither Smitty nor Parley will appear or be mentioned in the rest of the comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Look, Annie is busy doing the guide thing now. Parley should be able to figure out that she needs to teleport Smitty to a drat hospital on her own.

People can't do things until the protagonist tells them to! This is YA writing 101.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jeanne is reverting to her humanity and Annie has her scar on so they're in the ether. J's green boyfriend isn't magically regenerating, he's just assumed his mortal form in the ether (rather than angry blue fire demon) now that's he's free to continue his last purpose, getting to the other side.

It's an interesting phenomenon that ghosts are largely confused and angry because they were denied their final purpose. People who die in bed probably go quietly and are aware (like ROTD vampire who never did anything in life). Jeanne and green boyfriend died in a fearful state, desperate to reunite and escape so that's what consumes their souls in the afterlife and they can't find peace, hence why Jeanne didn't pop into the ether after Annie janked the arrow. The kid that Annie rescued in the hospital scene was confused because he was a kid and he didn't understand how he died.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Off panel to put Smitty out of his misery.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Aiding and abetting the escape of a dangerous killer. For shame.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This chapter is kinda garbage. Intercutting between 'oh happy reunion' and 'oh btw your friend is possibly dying' breaks both climaxes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fangz posted:

This chapter is kinda garbage. Intercutting between 'oh happy reunion' and 'oh btw your friend is possibly dying' breaks both climaxes.

It's not even a happy reunion. They're both just acting out the remainder of their plan since they are ghosts, and there's no real sense of relief or joy at seeing each other again after however many years.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Well losing your true love to some chin poo poo wearing hippie green dude I pretty much have to side with Diego here

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I can't wrap my head around how you don't understand that she's clearly focused on making sure they get the job done that they all came here for and the reason he got stabbed in the first place. She has to drop what she's doing and tell Parley to teleport him to safety? Parley is handling it, she needs to send off the ghosts while they have the chance. Plus it's not like we've never literally seen Annie suppress her emotions to do the whole psychopomp thing and then immediately break down crying afterward.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fangz posted:

Tone deaf.

This is where it's useful to cut away to some time a few days in the future and give us a recounting / flashback of the Smitty is Stabbed :( and Yay Jeanne and Elfman Depart separately.

Everything up to the stabbing probably should have been in the last chapter, with the stabbing as the cliffhanger. The comic can then give us what happened to Smitty and what happened with Jeanne and Elfman without each new page totally interrupting any tonal continuity. With emotion ripped out from a constant AC current of oh poo poo / sad / yay? / sad / yay?, all that's left is a kinda plodding sequence of events.

"You made it!" "Sorry it took so long, strong current today!" <Cue studio audience laugh track>

im not a writer btw, it just seems like this. Constant side-swipes of sad thing happy thing sad thing happy thing! I actually have no idea what Jeanne and Elfman are supposed to be feeling right now. We just watched the two reunite. Presumably, that would be one hella emotional moment, but it's just...hollow? Am I missing something? I'm wondering what it would be like in a few months to come back to this and simply cut this chapter into two separate plots.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
It's been a long while, so bear with me but can Parley even teleport accurately to a hospital if Smitty is injured? Smitty's luck stuff is a passive but it's possible Parley can't teleport with great accuracy to the hospital if he's injured, yeah?