Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Soup Inspector posted:

So, uh... considering the Anshan is literally my first DD, how do I not suck tremendous balls? And which of the available torps should I choose?

Long range ones. Use your speed to get in good positions. The guns have nice arc so use that to your advantage and never stop moving. Ambush other dds or shoot ships that are busy with someone else. Also use AP under 10km at broadsiding cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

I have a lot of opinions on BBs but boy howdy I am so bad at DDs. They seems so fun though so I should probably pick a line and stick with it and learn the hard way.

I'm kinda doing the same thing. I figured the Clemson wasn't a bad place to start since the Fletcher seems fun.

Soup Inspector posted:

Aw, crap. They very nearly suckered me in again after I got an Anshan and an Atlanta in supercontainers. And I thought I was good with money. :shepspends:

So, uh... considering the Anshan is literally my first DD, how do I not suck tremendous balls? And which of the available torps should I choose?

What about the Atlanta? I've heard it's a good HE spammer but I want to get as much info as possible (particularly since this thread has been nothing but a goldmine of advice).

The Atlanta is a ton of fun, especially once you get the hang of it. Even on bad games, the money and XP are usually solid. You're probably a better player than I am but it didn't immediately click and my first games in it were rough. Hug islands as much as you possibly can, pretend you're a big destroyer and eat other destroyers, and use your orbital shells to light BB on fire from cover. If you have to come out in the open for whatever reason, make them chase you and wiggle while you spam HE at them. Also people seem to forget that Atlantas have really strong short range torps, so I use them in tight quarters or for defense. It's also pretty funny to catch cruisers trying to rush you, load up AP and farm citadels at close range. If BB are close enough your AP is also good enough to punch through their upper hull if you need to. I division with a guy in a Belfast periodically, it's a surprisingly strong combination.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
The Atlanta is fun but not being able to smoke for itself really is a drawback. It's hard to believe that this ship didn't have radar and sonar at some point, but now it does and it's still pretty hard to play.

It's great and all to be able to golden shower ships in HE but in a world where the Belfast exists, the Atlanta is a novelty cruiser with a much steeper learning curve.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

the wrong in this opinion is so high we may need a new classification system for it
no wait we already have it, NTRabbit levels of wrong

Amagi and Nagato are worst in tier, get over it.

(Shiny Horse >) Colorado > Gneisenau > Nagato
Bismarck > North Carolina > Amagi

The reason Fuso is fun is that it's the final heir to the really good blaster boats in New York and Wyoming.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 10, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm making a new account to reserve a name, someone send me an invite link. I might not actually play this though.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

McGavin posted:

I'm making a new account to reserve a name, someone send me an invite link. I might not actually play this though.

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/Ee9vqnY

I got a drat Emden and Marblehead out of all those boxes so I am just desperate to get free stuff in this game.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Amagi and Nagato are worst in tier, get over it.

(Shiny Horse >) Colorado > Gneisenau > Nagato
Bismarck > North Carolina > Amagi

The reason Fuso is fun is that it's the final heir to the really good blaster boats in New York and Wyoming.

Bolded for full :allears: effect

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Opened up the rest of my boxes and got a Blyskawica! and a Nikolai!!!

Really have been enjoying both also. Nikolai seems like nothing but guns.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

OSad posted:

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/Ee9vqnY

I got a drat Emden and Marblehead out of all those boxes so I am just desperate to get free stuff in this game.

Thanks! Surprised nobody had registered the English spelling of DunkinDoenitz yet. If anyone gives me poo poo about spelling it wrong I'll just say I don't recognize his Nazi name and show them this:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Now I'm mad I didn't think of that name :saddowns:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Turns out the Belfast is good

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I quit way back when carriers just destroyed anything past tier 8, is the game better now and you don't have to worry so much about just being smoked helplessly by carriers at tier 8 and up?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

T9 and T10 carriers can still erase you from map, but it's a little harder now. Also there are a lot less of them.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Vengarr posted:

6 is the worst tier because you're getting uptiered constantly into tier 8 games. Tier 8 AA will murderfuck your planes. Even DDs at that tier can do real damage.

My advice on the Ryujo is to focus squarely on enemy DDs. Get good at manually torping and divebombing them. You can still have a huge impact on the game if you sink or heavily damage a DD or two, and keep the rest permaspotted. Ignore T8 BBs entirely, even the Amagi has enough AA to shred you. The Tirpitz and Bismarck are extremely deadly, and the North Carolina is an absolute 100% No-Fly Zone. Don't go within 5km at all, ever.

You're seriously better off going after cruisers, particularly IJN cruisers, if you have no other targets.

Note that the Hiryuu has the same problem the Ryujo does. You get the exact same low-health TBs on the Hiryuu that you have in the Ryujo.

I would love it if there was a display on the carrier view that showed the max aa range of each ship. So you know the distances to keep away instead of the current method of going "are they getting shot?"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Out of idle curiosity, is the Edinburgh really that much better than the Fiji? It gets the super heal and better AA, but in other respects they seem the same or the Fiji is better (turning circle). Plus the Fiji has better matchmaking.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
In case anyone missed this:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/pt060-2-electric-boogaloo/

Wargaming posted:

Commander Skill Updates - Since Part I, we tweaked the Commander Skill tree:

Fire Prevention: the skill was moved to Tier 4 (+1). Fire prevention value was increased from -7% to -10%. New feature of this skill that was introduced during Public Test 1 (-1 fire point in central part of ship) proved to be very efficient. We decided to make survivability build more dedicated, so this skill became even more powerful, with increased cost.

Survivability Expert: the skill was moved to Tier 3 (-1). Health points increase was lowered from 400 to 350 per ship tier. Thus, it got more accessible at the cost of slightly reduced efficiency.

Inertial HE Fuse: Chance of Fire penalty was reduced from -6% to -3%. Penetration bonus was increased from +25% to +30%. The skill proved to be too specific because of penalty and caused too much “no effect” situations. Now, it does lower Fire Chance noticeably without removing it almost completely.

Evasive Maneuver: concealment bonus was reduced from -40% to -20%. Survivability bonus was increased from +15% to 75%. We decided to shift the focus of this skill to survivability in order to make it more general-purpose and exclude some concealment abuse scenarios.

Adrenaline Rush: efficiency bonus was increased from 0.1% to 0.2% for each percent of HP lost. While the general idea behind the skill worked, we decided to make it more competitive at its tier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Would that be enough to make HEAP worthwhile?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So refresh my memory of what's realistically in the $1 boxes again? I physically can't snag any more ships, but if I could drop $20 and get a few million in silver and extra flags/etc...that might be worth it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Would that be enough to make HEAP worthwhile?

Probably. It's still going to be a tough choice because you'll likely have to give up either AFT or Concealment Expert as a destroyer, but I'd say it's an okay one now.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Note that the current .6 patch notes, as they are, will be huge buffs to battleships. I'll make effort post on this in a bit.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Another thing the Graf Spee is great at - stealing kills. 20 hits, 4 kill, including a First Blood and a Double Strike. Never load HE, just pen DDs bow to stern with your pinpoint 11inchers.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

considering all the money spent on boxes clan name should be Dallas Buyers Club

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lord Koth posted:

Probably. It's still going to be a tough choice because you'll likely have to give up either AFT or Concealment Expert as a destroyer, but I'd say it's an okay one now.
Someone made this to show what difference the +pen makes:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Graf Spee early trip report: it's as versatile as a swiss knife with all the doodads they've shoved in it (heal + sonar/defensive AA + torps) but it feels like the guns get reeeal temperamental depending on what you're shooting at. Atlantas, Emeralds, cruisers in general? Easy citadels, usually for half their HP pool. Kongos, New Yorks, Warspites? A mix between 2k damage and zero-damage broken shell volleys.

Not bounces, not overpens, the shells usually straight up break.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Someone made this to show what difference the +pen makes:

To be fair, the comment regarding piercing T8+ BB plate is relevant for a few Russian cruisers and, uh, that's about it. IJN, US, and German cruisers already have 203mm guns, and thus already pen that, and RN cruisers obviously gain no advantage from it (aside from Belfast). Which only leaves like Budyonny, Chapayev and Donskoi where it's relevant. I suppose Kutuzov captains have a new tool as well. There is some interesting stuff regarding smaller guns though.

I am surprised they didn't break down the penetration of battleship HE as well though, German especially. People were talking about being able to citadel cruisers with their HE now, and it works out to something ~130mm of penetration for the 16" German guns.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

To be fair, the comment regarding piercing T8+ BB plate is relevant for a few Russian cruisers and, uh, that's about it. IJN, US, and German cruisers already have 203mm guns, and thus already pen that, and RN cruisers obviously gain no advantage from it (aside from Belfast). Which only leaves like Budyonny, Chapayev and Donskoi where it's relevant. I suppose Kutuzov captains have a new tool as well. There is some interesting stuff regarding smaller guns though.

I am surprised they didn't break down the penetration of battleship HE as well though, German especially. People were talking about being able to citadel cruisers with their HE now, and it works out to something ~130mm of penetration for the 16" German guns.

There is some heavier deck armor that HEAP can enable 203mm HE pens on, but its not a big deal compared to the benefit 152mm+ get. And 100mm Akizuki :getin:
But nothing done to RPF is... troubling.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Nothing will be done to RPF until they can profit from people spending a small fortune to re-spec captains with it.

Especially since people will get a free re-spec with the patch, probably.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So refresh my memory of what's realistically in the $1 boxes again? I physically can't snag any more ships, but if I could drop $20 and get a few million in silver and extra flags/etc...that might be worth it.

Useless new year camo. Nothing but useless camo.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A friend got me 20 bucks worth of 1$ boxes, I ended up with a few camos/flags, four emdens and nearly 11000 gold.

I don't know if that amount is close enough to 20 bucks but it seemed pretty good to me.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I can't

:suicide:

Durendal fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 11, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My Chapayev was just one shot from full health by a single AP shell from an Iowa, and it was not a detonation :thumbsup:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

EU weekly mission can only be completed in Destroyers and it's a long one. Expect walls of torps, masses of team killing, inflammatory chat and cruisers farming idiot DD kills.

Holy gently caress, I just reread it. You have to cause ramming damage for one of the missions!!! Oh this is going to be GLORIOUS!!!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

First Chapayev battle team gets cap rushed by a Benson and it's over before it starts, second Chapayev battle one shelled by an Iowa, third Chapayev battle the client locks up - audio still playing, graphics frozen - halfway to an objective for no loving reason at all, and by the time I get back in I have 50% hp and staring down the barrel of 4 battleships. gently caress wargaming.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

My Chapayev was just one shot from full health by a single AP shell from an Iowa, and it was not a detonation :thumbsup:

Are you sure it was one shell and not a detonation? Because that's literally impossible unless it's a bug.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I am thinking of going down a DD line as they seem to have more fun to them, then Cruisers. What would be a good avenue to go down DD wise? I was thinking either the US or German ones and I am not sure which'd be more fun. I am not particularly fussed about torps vs guns in this respect. What are the two lines like?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El Disco posted:

Are you sure it was one shell and not a detonation? Because that's literally impossible unless it's a bug.

Definitely not a detonation; it's entirely possible more than one shell hit as far as the server was concerned, but client side the only shell that connected was the last one in the salvo.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I have gotten citadels from 0 hits before in my Yamato. It was probably like that.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

SkySteak posted:

So I am thinking of going down a DD line as they seem to have more fun to them, then Cruisers. What would be a good avenue to go down DD wise? I was thinking either the US or German ones and I am not sure which'd be more fun. I am not particularly fussed about torps vs guns in this respect. What are the two lines like?

Definitely go for US Destroyers. They're the perfect all-rounders and give you the biggest versatility in the DD package. Very fast, okay range torps (which become more standard stealth-torping torps at tier 7 and become pretty ridiculous at tier 9), fast turning and firing guns with good range, sits in between Japs and Russians as far as concealment and maneuverability goes, but most importantly, they have the best smoke in the game, which makes it far more forgiving to deny areas and do consistent damage to enemy ships compared to the other DD lines. Plus they can now equip anti-air defensive AA at tier 6 which I don't recommend anybody do but it is pretty funny to see a CV send all his squadrons in a furious attempt to sink you and flunk everything into the water while your cooldown is activated, and you even end up shooting down some planes, to boot! US Destroyers are a barrel of fun all the way up the line due to how consistently good all of them are.

Germans seem very underwhelming as they give up a lot of good stuff to fit in the hydro in the already tight DD package. Underwhelming AP and HE at lower tiers, bad maneuverability in higher tiers, worst smoke of all nations, torps with lower-than-average range and very mediocre damage, cannot stealth fire... you give up too much for the ability to see ships through smoke. It's still a DD so it's still pretty powerful in the right hands, but substantially *less* powerful than the other nations with a gimmick that enemies can play around if they have a brain. I've already given up on the line at tier 4 though so I'm definitely not the best person to give you advice on this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just got my Graff Spee, it's a fairly straight forward mission as far as they go. I have to say it doesn't seem too bad really. the Torpedo layout especially allows for some pretty weird shots. Now to see if I can get any nice T6 ships before the mission runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So when are we getting a dd with the heal gimmick and another with radar?