Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

it was real weird, though. She addressed a room full of multi-millionaire showbiz freaks and declared them the real enemies of the multi-millionare showbiz freak's America, because of ... MMA?

Also that we should all get along in these trying times, but that's not really a hot take

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Chant outside the whitehouse:

LESS MMA,
MAMA MIA? YAY

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

simmyb posted:

Is there a range of dates/financial years known to be covered by centerlink debt fuckup?

I've been overseas for a year and can just picture a debt letter sitting unread for another year causing some drama...

I believe it's up to 7 years.

The stuff they asked me to confirm was for fy11/12 being when I changed from newstart to casual work to full time work, a complicated and unforeseen set of events which their system can't handle.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

VodeAndreas posted:

The stuff they asked me to confirm was for fy11/12 being when I changed from newstart to casual work to full time work, a complicated and unforeseen set of events which their system can't handle.

An unemployed person getting a new job? That's definitely unforeseen and not how things are meant to work at all

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Optics

Political expenses: Julie Bishop charged taxpayers for Portsea Polo trip, Mathias Cormann claimed for AFL final

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop charged taxpayers $2,716 to attend the Portsea Polo for "official ministerial business".

The revelation comes as pressure mounts on Health Minister Sussan Ley over her travels at the expense of taxpayers, which have sparked calls for reform to the entitlement system.

Ms Bishop was invited to the January 9, 2016 event on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula as a guest of Peroni and Jeep.

She was pictured at the event in an exclusive marquee hosted by Mercedes Benz where her fellow guests included models, socialites and former prime minister Tony Abbott's daughter, Frances.

A Department of Finance report shows Ms Bishop spent $2,177 on flights to Melbourne for the event, $416 on a car and claimed a $123 travel allowance.

In response to questions from the ABC, her office issued a short statement.

"The Minister was invited and attended in her official capacity as Minister for Foreign Affairs and Deputy Leader of the Liberal Party," it read.

Ministers are allowed to claim for travel relating to their office, but the Ministerial Standards prohibit travel for private purposes.

"Ministers must be scrupulous in ensuring the legitimacy and accuracy of any claim for entitlement to ministerial, parliamentary or travel allowance," the standards state.

"Although [ministers'] public lives encroach upon their private lives, it is critical that ministers do not use public office for private purposes."

Ministers charge for AFL grand final trip

It has also been revealed two Federal Government ministers and a Tasmanian senator charged taxpayers more than $2,500 for a trip to the AFL grand final in 2013.

The men were guests of the National Australia Bank and received complimentary tickets and hospitality.

One of the ministers, Senator Mathias Cormann, is in charge of the department that oversees politicians' entitlements.

He billed taxpayers $3,533 for he and his wife's airfares to attend the match.

In a statement his office said he had, "official commitments before, during and after the AFL grand final weekend".

"As well as portfolio-related meetings on Friday, the Minister had Melbourne-based media commitments — both on Saturday and Sunday — morning as well as a series of other portfolio-related commitments in Melbourne," the statement said.

Trade Minister Steve Ciobo charged taxpayers $1,102 for an airfare to the match.

His office has not responded to a request for comment.

Tasmanian senator David Bushby billed $863 for flights from Hobart to Melbourne and back again. The ABC has contacted him for comment.

Senator Mitch Fifield also attended the grand final as a guest of the National Australia Bank but did not charge taxpayers for any travel. He lives in Victoria.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-10/julie-bishop-charged-taxpayers-for-trip-to-polo/8173542

and there's a big chart of each MPs expenditure at the bottom.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First dog:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Amazing

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Remember when James Ashby said Peter Slipper used some Cabcharge vouchers wrong in 2012?

He was investigated by the Federal Police and had to through years in court to clear his name. Ashby later dropped everything but the Federal Police found a Yarra Valley trip that could be tried.

Slipper argued he should have been able to just pay back the, wait for it, $954, before eventually being found not guilty at appeal in 2015.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

But Slipper was a traitor. Ley is a valuable member of the team.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Muppet doubles down on Centrelink fiasco

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/centrelink-automated-debt-system-will-continue-tudge/8174668

quote:

Centrelink automated debt system will continue: Tudge Wednesday 11 January 2017 7:36AM (view full episode)

The Turnbull government is resisting mounting calls to shelve Centrelink's deeply flawed debt recovery program. The automated system has produced 170,000 notices of potential overpayments with thousands of people incorrectly told they have outstanding debts, some running into the tens of thousands of dollars. The Commonwealth Ombudsman is investigating what many are calling a fiasco and a parliamentary inquiry is also likely. Labor's Linda Burney says Centrelink is at breaking point and that the Human Services Minister Alan Tudge must suspend the scheme without delay. But the Minister has made no admission of any flaw in the Centrelink automated debt system. 'The system is working and we will continue with that system', he says. 'I'm not aware of individuals who are completely convinced that they don't owe money but have been given a debt notice'. 'People are given the opportunity to update their records when a discrepancy is found to be present. When a debt notice is issued to them, if indeed it is, they have a further opportunity to provide further information. And then they have a third opportunity again if they want to appeal it to the tribunal', he says.

"People are given the opportunity to prove their innocence."

I'd say they actually have the evidential requirements arse about except, given the ground swell of opinion against the unemployed, they will almost certainly get away with it.

One can only hope that because it's the Terrorgraph that it's bullshit.

quote:

Homeland Security: PM Turnbull plans counter-terrorism ‘super portfolio’ to tackle terrorism EXCLUSIVE SHARRI MARKSON, The Daily Telegraph January 11, 2017 12:00am

TURNBULL PUTS THE TERRORISTS ON NOTICE

TERRORISTS CAN BE DETAINED INDEFINITELY

MALCOLM Turnbull is planning a major shake-up in counter-terrorism and domestic security — with a new super-portfolio to tackle the escalating threat. Mr Turnbull has held high-level talks with cabinet colleagues about a new ­department and ministry to form a co-ordinated counter-terrorism effort. It would be similar to the Home Office in the UK and Homeland Security in the US. It would bring together the AFP, ASIO and Australian Border Force into one agency, where they could better engage, communicate and share information to tackle terror threats. The department would be similar to the Home Office in the UK and the US’ Homeland Security and would combat the spread of terrorism. In the final weeks of parliament for the year, the Prime Minister’s office had discussions with senior members of the government about the idea. The Prime Minister’s ­Office is understood to be leaning towards the UK’s Home Affairs Ministry as its working model.

Asked about the discussions he had held with cabinet colleagues regarding a new home affairs ministry, Mr Turnbull would not detail them and he would not “buy into” speculation. “We do have a review of the Australian intelligence community under way,” he said. “But I’m not going to get into a discussion about government structures. The way I operate as prime minister is I run a cabinet government. We confer on a whole range of issues ­together and when we’ve made a decision, we make an announcement. ‘I’m not frontrunning ideas or thought speculating about possible changes. My job is to govern.”

Mr Turnbull would also not respond to questions about whether there would be a new minister to oversee the portfolio. A group of MPs, concerned about domestic security and the terror threat in Australia, have been agitating Mr Turnbull to forge ahead with the shake-up. Supporters of the policy change say there are strong arguments for moving Australia’s terror and security ­efforts under one roof. The new department would bring together the AFP, ASIO and Australian Border Force into one agency. The Christmas Day terror plot in Melbourne was foiled by AFP and Victorian Police following a tip-off from ASIO. Having the agencies work together more effectively in one unit would greatly improve Australia’s response to the global terror threat.

In the UK, the Home ­Office government department handles counter-terrorism, police, immigration and drugs policy. Seven ministers work together in respective portfolios of police, immigration and security. It is understood the Prime Minister has been discussing the idea of a super-portfolio for several months, however nothing is set in stone. Police investigate the scene where a house was raided in Melbourne after an alleged plot to attack Melbourne's Flinders Street Station and Federation Square on Christmas Day was discovered. A similar idea of a national security super-ministry was raised under former prime minister Tony Abbott, but did not eventuate when it became too difficult for him at a time when his leadership was unstable. Establishing the Home Affairs unit is politically fraught because it would mean four ministers — Justice Minister Michael Keenan, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton and ­Attorney-General George Brandis — may see their portfolios weakened.

Currently, counter-terrorism sits in the Attorney-General’s Department, the AFP and ASIO are in Mr Keenan’s remit and Border Force is an integral part of Mr Dutton’s portfolio. Sources said the Australian Secret Intelligence Service may remain with the Department of Foreign ­Affairs and Trade. There are concerns those ministers would be reluctant to lose parts of their portfolio and my resist a move to create a super-ministry. Discussions about the super-portfolio have coincided with manoeuvring ahead of an anticipated ­reshuffle in the new year.

Mr Brandis is tipped to take up a post as the new High Commissioner in London when Alexander Downer finishes his term midyear.

Definitely not a police state no siree Bob! Now if you wouldn't mind stepping into the van....

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

This still make's me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-lFsCfgCs

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Sup fuckers

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Liberal donor denies link to Sussan Ley Gold Coast unit sale

SUSPENDED minister Sussan Ley is unlikely to return to the frontbench, as the fallout from her taxpayer-funded househunting trips to the Gold Coast triggers action on federal MPs’ entitlements.

Colleagues believe Ms Ley, who has been stood down pending the outcome of two inquiries into her taxpayer-funded travel, will not be in Cabinet when parliament returns next month.

This is despite her insistence “no rules were broken” when she billed taxpayers for trips to inspect a Gold Coast property and to attend New Year’s Eve celebrations.

It can now be revealed the Liberal Party donor who sold his luxury apartment to Ms Ley, at a loss, was given a $109,977 grant for his daycare business when she was childcare minister.

Education Department contract documents reveal Children First Learning Centres, owned by vendor Martin Corkery, received the government grant for three daycare centres in November 2014, when Ms Ley was Assistant Education Minister.

Six months later, she bought his luxury De Ville apartment “on a whim’’ during a taxpayer-funded trip.

But Mr Corkery said he never discussed his apartment with Ms Ley and she had not even seen it until the May, 2015 auction.

The recent furore has forced the government to act on 36 reforms to MPs’ travel entitlements which were recommended 10 months ago, following former speaker Bronwyn Bishop’s notorious helicopter trip from Melbourne to Geelong.

So far, only three recommendations have been implemented.

By July, federal MPs will be banned from using helicopters for short trips, could be forced to share a shuttle bus around Canberra instead of using chauffeur-driven cars and eligibility for interstate family reunion travel will be tightened.

Acting Special Minister of State Kelly O’Dwyer said on Tuesday the “parliamentary expense system needs to change” and all recommendations would be implemented in the first half of the year.

“A clear definition of what official business is obviously at the centre of the changes,” Ms O’Dwyer said.

She would not be drawn on whether Ms Ley, should resign or be sacked, saying: “There is an independent investigation ... it’s not appropriate for me to speculate.”

Crossbench senators said the proposed changes were “weak” and will push for stricter rules when parliament returns on February 7.

The Greens have renewed calls for a federal anti-corruption commission.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/liberal-donor-denies-link-to-sussan-ley-gold-coast-unit-sale/news-story/abc2ebe4ef382ec3e1db20708b9966a3

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

holy poo poo

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Think it's abbott trying to get back in?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Think it's abbott trying to get back in?

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/570589112652201984

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/liberal-donor-denies-link-to-sussan-ley-gold-coast-unit-sale/news-story/abc2ebe4ef382ec3e1db20708b9966a3

By July, federal MPs will be banned from using helicopters for short trips, could be forced to share a shuttle bus around Canberra instead of using chauffeur-driven cars and eligibility for interstate family reunion travel will be tightened.

:lol: I bet they'll love that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

open24hours posted:

It would be gold. Seeing all their pissed off faces jammed into a Toyota Hiace or Coaster

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

Make 'em take public transport. "Wait, why are these buses and roads in such lovely condition? Shouldn't someone do something about that?"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

It would be gold. Seeing all their pissed off faces jammed into a Toyota Hiace or Coaster

"Tony did you fart in the bus again?"

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

VodeAndreas posted:

Thank you!!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

7 years is the statuary limit for most documentation. Banks routinely destroy records older than that. Tudge is not only embarking on illegal predatory invoicing, he's also breaking the statue of limitations.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rehosting so I can actually see it:

open24hours posted:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rod is bankrupt for real this time.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Synthbuttrange posted:

He's always been morally bankrupt.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Here is a bloody good article about the travel rorts fiasco http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2017/01/pox-parliamentary-privileges-entitlements/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Maybe he can write a letter to Father Christmas this time so that Santa can fly over on his magical sleigh to declare him solvent.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Maybe he can write a letter to Father Christmas this time so that Santa can fly over on his magical sleigh to declare him solvent.

Depends how much he's in the hole.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

DancingShade posted:

He's written a letter to the Queen instead.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 11, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/derrick_krusche/status/819070817392693248

https://twitter.com/derrick_krusche/status/819072448452665345

Also if you haven't caught up with the latest Trump fiasco you should, you'll be pissing yourself laughing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lol @ the font change early on

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

also holy gently caress whats the loving point of that letter? It's some really rambling/incoherent poo poo hahaha

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Recoome posted:

also holy gently caress whats the loving point of that letter? It's some really rambling/incoherent poo poo hahaha

He is legit crazy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jfc I've never seen a Senator actually lose his mind. I don't count Roberts, he was crazy already.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Culleton's been on about this for years apparently.

ewe2 posted:

Jfc I've never seen a Senator actually lose his mind. I don't count Roberts, he was crazy already.

I know it's a glib comment, but Mary Jo Fisher resigned a few years ago because of mental illness and kleptomania, and when you watch videos like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLVMMxzSaMc
it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 11, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Who is the best internet provider these days? Looking for someone cheap but fast enough to watch youtube without hassles. No idea how much data I would go through

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Also if you haven't caught up with the latest Trump fiasco you should, you'll be pissing yourself laughing.

Pretty impressive by the Russians

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

gay picnic defence posted:

Who is the best internet provider these days? Looking for someone cheap but fast enough to watch youtube without hassles. No idea how much data I would go through

Pretty impressive by the Russians

I'd recommend not TPG, I've had heaps of problems with them

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Unfortunately, Optus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The only problem I've had with tpg is their billing