Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's japanese for 'strange beast'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Brother Entropy posted:

it's japanese for 'strange beast'

No, you're thinking of a three line poem.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This didn't get excerpted from the FF7 retrospective and I think it's hilarious so I'm posting it:

quote:

Tetsuya Nomura:
OK, so maybe I did kill Aerith. But if I hadn’t stopped you, in the second half of the game, you were planning to kill everyone off but the final three characters the player chooses!

Yoshinori Kitase:
No way! I wrote that? Where?

Tetsuya Nomura:
In the scene where they parachute into Midgar. You wanted everyone to die there!

Yoshinori Kitase:
Really? Wait, I’m starting to remember …

Tetsuya Nomura:
Yeah, remember? You and [writer] Nojima-san were all excited about this. I was the one who said “No way!” and stopped you guys. You wanted to kill everyone except the final three characters the player chose for the endgame.
Can you imagine how people would have reacted?

edit: also this:

quote:

Keith Boesky [President, Eidos (1997-1999)]:
Well, there was the Barret stuff. … There was the controversy around Barret’s language, that he was speaking Ebonics.

Alexander O. Smith:
I probably wasn’t as aware of those issues then as I hope I am now. So it didn’t — I mean, I thought, “Why is this Mr. T?” … That did strike me. I remember that.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 10, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God bless you, Tetsuya Nomura.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That Street Fighter one someone linked is a pretty pro click too:

quote:

Jeff Walker:
The game just took off. ... Even the LA riots worked out for me because when they were looting the street, they were running down the streets from the 7-11 stores with Street Fighter games in their hands. ... [We got lots of] press because there were the cameras going up on these guys running down the street with Street Fighter games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This didn't get excerpted from the FF7 retrospective and I think it's hilarious so I'm posting it:

Can you imagine how people would have reacted?

I unironically wish we'd gotten that now. Imagine the arguments about who the "canon" final/survivor group is. And the possible rage if Square had something random like Cloud/Cid/Red as the official trio who lives. :laugh:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Has Square confirmed a PS4 Dissidia release? Googling gives me lots of 'its coming at some point maybe' with no hard date.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

victrix posted:

Has Square confirmed a PS4 Dissidia release? Googling gives me lots of 'its coming at some point maybe' with no hard date.

It has not been confirmed at all but is insanely likely.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean if you look at the controller

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It has not been confirmed at all but is insanely likely.

This frustrates me deeply, Dissidia is one of my favorite games, I'd play the ever loving poo poo out of an updated PS4 version. I had to stop watching the arcade vids, too painful :ohdear:

It's been what, a bit over a year since the arcade release now? :saddowns:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It seems like they're taking their time since they're trying to get the original base roster back in the game with a few newbies here and there before they actually probably say anything about a PS4 port.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean if you look at the controller

Finally, the first arcade cabinet with a built-in JO crystal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0busxQ35-Q

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

It seems like they're taking their time since they're trying to get the original base roster back in the game with a few newbies here and there before they actually probably say anything about a PS4 port.

Didn't they say that in an interview before even the core arcade release happened? I seem to remember reading something like that they wanted X number of characters before they gave it the home treatment so they weren't constantly doing the update/DLC cycle thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think it was said in an interview, but it's something that just makes sense. They could prob pop out a PS4 port by now but beyond the fact it'd be missing a few characters the base game let alone 012 it would also be pretty scattered feature wise.

It's best to just keep waiting for announcements, the game will be out when it's ready.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've never played a Dissidia game, should I get this one when it comes out? It looks fun.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think anyone can say short of people who've actually played it in JP arcades, which I don't know if anyone here has.

That said, even if you had played the other ones, this one is more of an EXVS style team fighter thing so it's not like it'll have the same game flow as the others so :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah. Yeaaah that's the good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVd6AvzGJP0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S-E is probably taking the time to devleop Dissidai because they can push a PS4 port out during a dry release period and they're in no particular rush since the arcade version is a convenient prototype and money maker.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The next Dissidia game will be exclusive to the Switch.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't think anyone can say short of people who've actually played it in JP arcades, which I don't know if anyone here has.

I played it for like 5 minutes but didn't understand enough Japanese to get much from the tutorial. :v: Farting around was fun enough. :shrug: I'll be buying a hypothetical PS4 port because I enjoyed the poo poo out of the other 2 Dissidias, even though I know this one is different.

The buttrock Dark Messenger isn't terrible, but other things we've heard in the trailers varyingly have been.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The best part of new Dissidia, from what I've seen, is all FFV-related. Bartz's new moveset is really neat, the Rift stage is beautiful, the electro-remix of the boss theme is... interesting, and it's got probably the best version of Clash on the Big Bridge ever (although that remix might've originally come from Record Keeper, not sure).

I still get a kick out of the FFXIII stage being a corridor.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Forget Dissidia, give me a new Theatrhythm

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theatrhythm: future tone

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Grozz Nuy posted:

Forget Dissidia, give me a new Theatrhythm

That's also an arcade game. If this ever does come to portable, you will need new fingers. And probably a new DS/Switch every other song from button failure.

Example tracks:

Ominous Prognostics (FF14: Heavensward) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SegPjhEb50g

Dancing Mad (DFF:AC ver) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJdG0vyQJs

Final Battle (FF9): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrkI-zA-XmQ

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 11, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just want to say that I really like how FFXIII-3's bonus dungeon both rewards you for being thorough by becoming easier, and acts as a perfect way to measure just how seriously you took the task of completing the game. By the end of the bonus day, I had eradicated half of the dungeon!

I also still think it's weird that Skeletons are an enemy type you can render extinct. Hell, they're an enemy type the game tells you by sidequest to render extinct. But I do love that I eventually did, indeed, murder all skeletons.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 16, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I just want to say that I really like how FFXIII-3's bonus dungeon both rewards you for being thorough by becoming easier, and acts as a perfect way to measure just how seriously you took the task of completing the game. By the end of the bonus day, I had eradicated half of the dungeon!

I also still think it's weird that Skeletons are an enemy type you can render extinct. Hell, they're an enemy type the game tells you by sidequest to render extinct. But I do love that I eventually did, indeed, murder all skeletons.

I assume that it's supposed to be 'magically enchanted skeletons' and there's a finite number of them actually enchanted in the world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Or in a world where people stopped dying there is a limited number of corpse bones to use that Lightning hasn't pounded to fine dust.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I just got a "congratulations on winning a prize" email from the company running the Carbuncle Surprise promotion. Did FFXV's delay plus the people who didn't claim the first wave of prizes really push it out that long?

(is it one of the good prizes and not just DLC? I don't even know what the good prizes are beyond the car :ohdear:)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I just got a "congratulations on winning a prize" email from the company running the Carbuncle Surprise promotion. Did FFXV's delay plus the people who didn't claim the first wave of prizes really push it out that long?

(is it one of the good prizes and not just DLC? I don't even know what the good prizes are beyond the car :ohdear:)

I never even got my Cindymobile DLC code from that.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I got an email like that this morning. I completely forgot about the whole carbuncle surprise thing since XV was released. Won't know what I got (if anything) for another couple weeks anyway.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shoren posted:

I got an email like that this morning. I completely forgot about the whole carbuncle surprise thing since XV was released. Won't know what I got (if anything) for another couple weeks anyway.
Right, it says "Congratulations on winning a prize [...] Your prize will be delivered in approimately 2-3 weeks." which makes me think it's not DLC, which is the really confusing thing.

Good to know I'm not the only one that got one, must be a whole 'nother wave going out.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Does anyone have a link to a good explanation of XIII's ending? I plan on moving on to XIII-2 and LR soon, but I'm pretty confused about everything past the first fight of the final sequence.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its deliberately obtuse, the 13 post game hints at some things and 13-2 ties up other things, and Lightning Returns calls the entire thing dumb.

The one line of blanks worth filling is that there are creator deities and the one most attuned to humans did some divine intervention.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The goddess of time and death dispels the cieth transformation and then vanille and fang sacrifice themselves to stop cocoon from falling

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
13's ending is a deliberate deus ex machina, and the second and third games both deal with how that was an insanely stupid thing for god to do

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
ETRO'S GATE

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Etro is the embodiment of "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good explanation of XIII's ending? I plan on moving on to XIII-2 and LR soon, but I'm pretty confused about everything past the first fight of the final sequence.

Orphan and the other Fal'Cie want to drop Cocoon, killing all life of the world, in order to get the attention of the Creator, who they miss real bad. The gang go "screw it" and kill Orphan because they have no way to go but forward. To noone's surprise, killing Orphan causes Cocoon to fall. Through some extremely quick thinking, Vanille and Fang combine into the monster Ragnarok, which destroyed their home btw, create a pillar of lava which encircles Cocoon, then turn into crystal, their focus fulfilled. The Fang/Vanille crystal saves Cocoon as well as Gran Pulse. The whole gang has turned into crystal in the meantime. Thankfully, the goddess Etro takes pity on them and turns them back, as well as everyone else they care about. Fin

Just note that Etro, while a goddess, is NOT the creator the Fal'Cie wanted to meet. You have to do the hunts if you want to get even a hint of the existance of Etro before XIII-2. When I first beat the game I just assumed they were turned to normal by the power of friendship or something.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's okay to skip straight to LR. Encouraged even.