Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Some random Blue Jays fans on twitter are suggesting that Stroman and Sanchez arn't on speaking terms because they don''t follow each other on Twitter/instagram anymore and there havn't been videos of them hanging out during the off season. Sounds like dumb bullshit but it would suck if it were true.

IT GOES DEEPER! Stroman tweeted "Be extremely cautious of who you let in your life and put on your wave." shortly after it was revealed that Sanchez now has Boras representing him. What else could it mean??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Visited my uncle today for his birthday and he's upset about the world juniors hockey being decided by a shootout . He said its like if a baseball game was tied and after one extra inning they went to a home run derby. That would actually be kinda cool

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Lumpy posted:

He'd be deadly silent during every non-White Sox contestant's dingers. Which I think would be a big improvement.

DAGGUM RIGHT WE'RE DOING THIS HOME RUN DERBY UNDER PROTEST

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Hawk Harrelson to call the derby, and Angel Hernandez to officiate the derby.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Visited my uncle today for his birthday and he's upset about the world juniors hockey being decided by a shootout . He said its like if a baseball game was tied and after one extra inning they went to a home run derby. That would actually be kinda cool

Is your uncle 1/3 of my Facebook friends, because I've heard this sooo much over the last few days (also I kinda think it's true too tbh)

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

New Concept Hole posted:

Hawk Harrelson to call the derby, and Angel Hernandez to officiate the derby.

Why do you hate the world so. I think the 2 worst announcers in sports are Hawk and Micky Redmond (Red Wings). Probably cause I'm in Michigan and exposed to them a lot, but holy poo poo the whining and complaining they dish out is unbearable.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Why do you hate the world so.

I want to watch two old men engage in a fist fight over a home run derby.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

New Concept Hole posted:

I want to watch two old men engage in a fist fight over a home run derby.

Now I understand, I would watch this as well.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Julio Cruz posted:

Rum, sodomy and the lash.

Quality Pogues album.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Murray Chass submitted a blank Hall of Fame ballot

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Does Murray Chass even write for anything other than his website anymore?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Why do you hate the world so. I think the 2 worst announcers in sports are Hawk and Micky Redmond (Red Wings). Probably cause I'm in Michigan and exposed to them a lot, but holy poo poo the whining and complaining they dish out is unbearable.

You must have never listened to one Marty Brenneman. Dude just constantly poo poo talks all the Reds good players, is convinced the bad ones just weren't given a fair shot and never had anything good to say about on-field or upper level management. It's just a constant stream of negativity.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i actually like listening to hawk and how homery he is. he's a great foil to stone. hudler's hilarious too.

and i'm with you, chief. marty is the worst announcer in all of sports. absolutely zero redeeming qualities. he actually used to do cubs games when i was a kid and i remember despising him then. only got worse.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mike_V posted:

Does Murray Chass even write for anything other than his website anymore?

he is a blogger, op. he blogs.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Abel Wingnut posted:

i actually like listening to hawk and how homery he is. he's a great foil to stone. hudler's hilarious too.

and i'm with you, chief. marty is the worst announcer in all of sports. absolutely zero redeeming qualities. he actually used to do cubs games when i was a kid and i remember despising him then. only got worse.

Wasn't that Thom, his kid? Or did Marty do them too even before that?

I know Thom and Steve Stone did the middle innings when Harry would go over to the radio side.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Manny Ramirez just signed with an independent Japanese baseball league team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

:getin:

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us

Rand alPaul posted:

Manny being Manny

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Taint posted:

Wasn't that Thom, his kid? Or did Marty do them too even before that?

I know Thom and Steve Stone did the middle innings when Harry would go over to the radio side.

That was Thom. Marty Brennaman has been with the Reds for his entire career.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Rand alPaul posted:

This would make such a beautiful mini-series on espn

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rand alPaul posted:

If baseball if anything like MMA he can do all the PEDs he wants over there.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...50a6a2ed9c.html

such a shame.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Best Fans 'Bama

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does baseball even exist anymore? This has been the worst month.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Amen.

Come on, DiPoto. Rearrange some chairs and entertain me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Does baseball even exist anymore? This has been the worst month.

The bad hall of fame voting gets revealed next week!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bob James posted:

Get Gilbert Gottfried to do it.

He'd work the Arisotcrats into HR calls, I'm in

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
1. Cubs and Rangers are the favorites to sign Tyson Ross. Ross for his part is intentionally stalling on making a decision, presumably to try and get a better deal.
2. Trade talks for Dozier between Twins and Dodgers have stalled, apparently around the complementary pieces the Twins want on top of De Leon. Rosenthal says the deal isn't likely to happen any time soon.
3. The White Sox are apparently still demanding a king's ransom for Quintana, so much that nobody is seriously making an offer. The Yankee's GM today said the price is "beyond what [he] would be willing to pay."

So basically the only news to come out of baseball today is how a bunch of cool things aren't happening. :mad:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will say that if you told me a year ago that a bunch of relievers would get $80+ mil contracts and guys like Bautista/Trumbo/other sluggers would sit on the market for months, I would have said you were insane

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

it's still not spring training yet :(

enjoy 40 minutes of fights and rear end-whippins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhdSQHpb6-w

E: it's been a long time since I've seen video of that George Brett/Graig Nettles fight

Sydin posted:

1. Cubs and Rangers are the favorites to sign Tyson Ross. Ross for his part is intentionally stalling on making a decision, presumably to try and get a better deal.
2. Trade talks for Dozier between Twins and Dodgers have stalled, apparently around the complementary pieces the Twins want on top of De Leon. Rosenthal says the deal isn't likely to happen any time soo
3. The White Sox are apparently still demanding a king's ransom for Quintana, so much that nobody is seriously making an offer. The Yankee's GM today said the price is "beyond what [he] would be willing to pay."

So basically the only news to come out of baseball today is how a bunch of cool things aren't happening. :mad:

a rumor I saw from a couple of guys/gals that cover the Rockies is that the White Sox asked for all of Dahl/Hoffman/Marquez/Brendan Rodgers/Ryan McMahon for him. The White Sox can gently caress right off if that's what they are asking for.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 11, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
did that Verlander to Dodgers trade happen or did I just fever dream it?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will say that if you told me a year ago that a bunch of relievers would get $80+ mil contracts and guys like Bautista/Trumbo/other sluggers would sit on the market for months, I would have said you were insane

Maybe people are finally starting to understand that pitching wins championships? (But also hitting and also managing and also stolen bases by reconstructed knees.)

EDIT: (And actually the best pitching team lost so)

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Plouffe! :silent:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

IcePhoenix posted:

The bad hall of fame voting gets revealed next week!

Can't wait to not read the Murray Chass thinkpiece on it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

did that Verlander to Dodgers trade happen or did I just fever dream it?

There were a ton of rumors like two months ago but nothing every materialized. I think it was a lot more "this would be a good fit" musings than any genuine talks.

The hold up with any and all Dodger trades is over complementary pieces to De Leon. Dodgers are convinced De Leon has enough upside that 1-2 lotto tickets would suffice, while other clubs aren't convinced and want at least one other top prospect, I've heard Bellinger's name in particular be thrown out. Unsurprisingly, the Dodgers are uninterested in gutting their farm when they're already projected to be a top three team in the NL.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
NLCS participant flags fly forever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

rickiep00h posted:

Maybe people are finally starting to understand that pitching wins championships? (But also hitting and also managing and also stolen bases by reconstructed knees.)

EDIT: (And actually the best pitching team lost so)
Yes but I thought we got over the 'pay dumb contracts to relievers' thing years ago

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

There were a ton of rumors like two months ago but nothing every materialized. I think it was a lot more "this would be a good fit" musings than any genuine talks.

The hold up with any and all Dodger trades is over complementary pieces to De Leon. Dodgers are convinced De Leon has enough upside that 1-2 lotto tickets would suffice, while other clubs aren't convinced and want at least one other top prospect, I've heard Bellinger's name in particular be thrown out. Unsurprisingly, the Dodgers are uninterested in gutting their farm when they're already projected to be a top three team in the NL.

Their starting pitching depth chart on their team site (determined by MLB.com) is 8 players long. They have 6 unique outfielders on the page, 3 catchers, and 15 relievers.

They're the other football team in LA right now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies signed three-year extensions with the Cubs. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies signed three-year extensions with the Cubs. :woop:

I know there has been talk of Ryan Dempster gunning for Deshaies spot but I really like Deshaies and think him and Kasper work really well together. Good news!

• Locked thread