Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

gay picnic defence posted:

Pretty impressive by the Russians

If the FSB didn't have a tape, they will be sure to create such a tape shortly.

If the CIA dosn't have such a tape, they are telling Trump that they can create such a tape if needed. Don't touch their budget or power or there WILL be consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Judging from the texts from the people I know at DFAT, the entire department was paralyzed by poring over Trump's kremlin pissplay all day

Though to be fair, he buried the TPP, so he's the dude who's responsible for them having nothing to do

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 11, 2017

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Not iinet/internode/any sub company of them as they're being tanked by TPG management. You'd actually get better service direct from TPG, which isn't saying much.
Aussiebroadband.com.au have done me well if they're in your area.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Comstar posted:

If the CIA dosn't have such a tape, they are telling Trump that they can create such a tape if needed. Don't touch their budget or power or there WILL be consequences.

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/818958829375340546

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Rod Did Nothing Wrong

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

G-Spot Run posted:

Not iinet/internode/any sub company of them as they're being tanked by TPG management. You'd actually get better service direct from TPG, which isn't saying much.
Aussiebroadband.com.au have done me well if they're in your area.

pity a few people say TPG is poo poo, they have some pretty affordable plans

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They're fine if you just want to be online and are not particularly picky about quality or capacity to get support if there's a problem but you really do get what you pay for. The cost advertised is not entirely accurate either. They make you pay an extra $20 at signup on the cheap month to month plans but it's not listed as a setup cost because it's 'prepaid call credit'. "I don't want to use the phone service, or even own a physical phone, I just need a line for ADSL" you say, but they won't create the line without it as you might make a phone call so there has to be $20 credit available for that 40c opportunity even though they already DD your credit card for monthly billing and could just as easily add call charges as they occur. Also that $20 is not refundable if you don't use it so it's basically a gently caress you charge. Also their plan cancellation 30 or whatever days notice in writing, I'm sure everyone does something like that but in practice it's an extra fee you have to take into consideration if you want to churn away. Also they're just a poo poo company generally.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've had a decent experience with Exetel. The speed is nothing special, but it's enough for me and they don't dick you around. Their tech support line tells you where you are in the queue and how long it ought to take to get through, and is fairly accurate about it too. Can't overstate how nice that is.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I switched from iinet to Belong and they're cheap as anything and have decent plans since I can't get TPG or whatnot. Haven't had to deal with their support but they recently doubled the plan DL limit so that was nice.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's a well known fact that the best internet you can get in Australia is a Kookaburra with a USB stick tied to its leg.

It's catching the bastard so you can download your windows updates that gets a bit tricky.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm on Engin, and while I had a tonne of trouble at the start with the DNS loving up, after switching to Google's no troubles. Their support was pretty decent too.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

If you are lucky enough to have FTTP, TPG is a fine choice. Their best plan was $40 cheaper than Telstra's equivalent when I swapped. This easily makes up for the cost of replacing the lovely router they give you. Haven't really had any other problems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sparticle posted:

If you are lucky enough to have FTTP

Hahah!

:negative:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if you're in canberra you might be able to get VDSL which is pretty fast compared to ADSL

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
So with the expenses scandal still in full swing how long until some more Security theatre? Or will it be something else this time?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

starkebn posted:

So with the expenses scandal still in full swing how long until some more Security theatre? Or will it be something else this time?

Or the expenses scandal is the diversion

what happened with that christmas eve thing in Melb?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

starkebn posted:

There was an article already about a mega portfolio for counter terrorism but it didn't get traction with the expenses stuff starting to drag in other Libs.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

Or the expenses scandal is the diversion

any horrendous deals being signed right now? Is the money to Adani going through?

Mr Chips posted:

what happened with that christmas eve thing in Melb?

Probably found some airsoft guns and plastic "ritual" swords and quietly let them go? I don't know. Maybe they stopped something disgusting.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

norp posted:

There was an article already about a mega portfolio for counter terrorism but it didn't get traction with the expenses stuff starting to drag in other Libs.

:bahgawd:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

norp posted:

The government has been trying to bring in legislation to hold terrorism suspects indefinitely if you need something to really scare you.

EDIT: Here we go, it was in relation to the terrifying terrorists who were totally going to set a fire at a Shiite prayer hall, but there was someone there so they ran away. Then they were totally going to stab a bunch of people "in the kidneys" but didn't.

Better make sure they never see daylight again, right?

Google tells me there's also an article at the Daily Tele, but gently caress if I'm reading that trash.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 11, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Comstar posted:

We're going to see a video of Trump pissing all over a bunch of Russian Ivanka lookalikes sometime in the next 4 years aren't we? :munch:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

We're going to see a video of Trump pissing all over a bunch of Russian Ivanka lookalikes sometime in the next 4 years aren't we? :munch:

Bonus points if there are several videos, each with subtle differences.

In true Russian shovelware fashion their video will use unity store assets and a camera filter to try and hide it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Rod's team has written to the ABC, too:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Krazyface posted:

I've had a decent experience with Exetel. The speed is nothing special, but it's enough for me and they don't dick you around. Their tech support line tells you where you are in the queue and how long it ought to take to get through, and is fairly accurate about it too. Can't overstate how nice that is.

Quick rant, never ever use Exetel. They had me speed capped for years, regular dropouts, many phone calls to try and fix, new modems etc, finally changed to TPG and my speed immediately tripled with not a single dropout in the couple months I've been with them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

While I'm still in ADSL2 land I was forced to use Telstra as there were simply no other providers for my address.

On the plus side they've actually been really good, I guess years of bad feedback finally filtered through. They do try to upsell you on extra cruft you don't need (thanks for the free telstra tv, it's gathering dust on my shelf) but simply get what bundle you need and you should be fine.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Who is the best internet provider these days? Looking for someone cheap but fast enough to watch youtube without hassles. No idea how much data I would go through

If you have NBN, SkyMesh.com.au is great. No contracts and pretty good plans. Quite a few people I know have moved to them and everyone seems really impressed. Steer clear of any TPG related companies though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Police should collect and publish crime statistics based on race
(a bunch of garbage)

James Newbury is the Liberal candidate for Brighton.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
They do?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Police do collect that information? I've "published" it here before

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/publications/tandi_pdf/tandi117.pdf

quote:

Race/ethnicity/country of origin has less to do with crime than the environment and the disorganised communities of alleged criminals.

quote:

Migrants generally have lower levels of education and a very low rate of participation in higher education, which limits their life chances.
• Migrants generally concentrate around poorer and disadvantaged city neighbourhoods.
• Migrants’ unemployment rate is significantly higher than that of the native-born.
• There is evidence of some bias against minority groups in their contacts with the criminal justice system.

Oh gently caress no! It doesn't support the narrative KILL IT WITH FIRE! :supaburn: KILL IT WITH FIRE! :supaburn:KILL IT WITH FIRE! :supaburn:KILL IT WITH FIRE! :supaburn:

ef;b Mine required actual research, use of smilies (etc.)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Andrew Elder's blog pointed to some fairly doom-laden pronouncements on Ley from backgrounders:

quote:

While well-liked within the party, Ms Ley is not factionally aligned to either of the Liberal Party's moderate or conservative wings, meaning she does not have a strong internal support base. She has described herself as something of a "free spirit" in the party.

Another Liberal MP said: "Her position is completely untenable.

"Most people [in the Coalition] agree she has gone way over the line on so many occasions – it's indefensible.

"She could conceivably do her penance for a year or two as a backbencher and then come back but I don't think she'd want to do that."

The lack of strong public support for Ms Ley from her ministerial colleagues – with the exception of Education Minister Simon Birmingham – has been noted by her colleagues.

The MP said there was no "great degree of goodwill" towards Ms Ley in the party.

"She's seen as a good minister but not a superstar so she's not integral to the government's agenda."

So even the moderates aren't defending her. As Elder points out, this is massively stupid given what Ley could do to the Governments majority should she decide her career is over, particularly if that's made clear to her by colleagues. It's such a bad look, she's done whatever the outcome of the investigation. A smart whip might want to give her something nice to look forward to, to keep her onside before the next election, because if she feels a sense of injustice, this could get very hilarious.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
SPLITSSSSSSSSS

quote:

Two Greens parliamentarians have publicly defied their federal leader, Richard Di Natale, on the existence of factions and whether the Left Renewal faction, which aims to replace capitalism, has a place in the party.

In an opinion piece for Guardian Australia, the federal senator Lee Rhiannon and the New South Wales upper house politician David Shoebridge argue that the Greens’ founding principles “don’t endorse or condemn capitalism” and therefore differences of opinion must be tolerated within the party.

In a reference to Di Natale’s class and former occupation the pair say the party has room for a range of people from “forest defenders to middle-class doctors and student activists” because it is “a broad and accepting social movement that has always celebrated its diversity”.

The piece responds to growing tension after the emergence in December of the Left Renewal faction, whose manifesto states it will “fight to bring about the end of capitalism” which it describes as “a violent and antagonistic relation between workers and those who exploit them”.

Di Natale hit back at the group, telling them to consider finding a new political home. He said the Greens do not support the overthrow of capitalism, describing it as a ridiculous idea.

But Rhiannon, who is the federal democracy spokeswoman, and Shoebridge, who holds various portfolios including justice and industrial relations, suggest no such universality of opinion exists.

The pair said that, given the diversity of opinion in the Greens, “it is pretty hard to understand all the anger being expressed by some at the establishment of a small self-organising group within the Greens that calls itself Left Renewal”.

Shoebridge told Guardian Australia he didnt think this amounted to contradicting Di Natale because he was correct that “the overwhelming majority don’t support the overthrow of capitalism”, but added: “Our principles allow for members to have a different view”.

Rhiannon and Shoebridge say: “Left Renewal has every right to exist in the Greens along with less obvious, but no less real, rightwing groupings in the party.”

The statement is a further repudiation of Di Natale, who said he would never support a formal factional system and also said the Greens have “never had factions”.

The pair said it was “perfectly natural” for like-minded people in a party to coalesce into groups to achieve common goals and a “healthy political party” would combine these groupings with an ability to “build bridges internally”.

Shoebridge said groupings in the Greens “wouldn’t satisfy the definition of a faction in the Liberal or Labor party” but “being ignorant or wishing it wasn’t the case” that like-minded members coalesced around common goals “isn’t going to help build those bridges”.

He has publicly argued the “No Nastiness” grouping set up by a staff member of his fellow NSW Greens parliamentarian Jeremy Buckingham, who is con
sidered more rightwing than the so-called “Eastern bloc” MPs in the state, could be considered a faction.

Candidates backed by Buckingham have met with success in contests for NSW upper house vacancies, with his pick Justin Field being chosen as the successor for John Kaye, and Dawn Walker defeating Kelly Marks, the pick of the more leftwing grouping, for another position.

Shoebridge addressed calls from the former party leader Christine Milne for him to repudiate an office-holder who suggested forming an anti-establishment left populist party. He said it was “not the role” of MPs to condemn members’ views but a person “can’t hold” an office-holder position and advocate competition.

n their piece, Rhiannon and Shoebridge reiterate that they are not members of Left Renewal because it “steps beyond what either of us believes both economically and politically”. “In their blanket opposition to capitalism and their denunciation of state power Left Renewal go much further than most Greens members are comfortable with.”

Rhiannon and Shoebridge adopt a more balanced view of capitalism, crediting it with “an extraordinary capacity to organise resources and innovate”. “Whether it is delivering the iPhone or Facebook, cornflakes or solar panels, there is an energy and creativity in capitalism that anyone can see and we support.

“However capitalism has also put our planet in danger, as the conditions for life are degraded by an economy in which fossil fuels, profit and the market reign supreme.”

They conclude by calling on the Greens to “challenge and change the status quo”, including by taxing the rich, retaining public ownership of the national broadband network and ending a range of subsidies to corporations.

“In short we need to come together as a society and say that people are more than customers and our natural world is more than a collection of exploitable resources. We need transformative change. Passing laws and changing government programs cannot alone deliver the level of change that is needed.”

quote:

Left Renewal: since when has taxing the rich and saving the planet been so controversial?

We are not members of the Greens faction but it’s hard to understand the anger expressed at people who believe capitalism is a problem

David Shoebridge and Lee Rhiannon

Thursday 12 January 2017 06.21 AEDT

If you believe that unrestrained capitalism is the solution to our planet’s environmental and social challenges, or that democracy is enhanced by two major parties bickering about personality and management style, then you are currently well served by the Liberal, National and Labor parties and might choose not to read on. If you think there might be better ways to make the planet more sustainable, just, peaceful and democratic, then there is certainly a place for you in the Greens.

The Greens party was founded on four broad principles of ecological sustainability, social justice, participatory democracy, and peace and nonviolence. Over the past 20 years those principles have guided the party in campaigns as diverse as ending the logging of native forests, defending and participating in local government, tackling climate change, opposing war and promoting more progressive policies on public education, industrial relations, taxation and welfare.

However the principles don’t answer every political issue by themselves. They don’t tell us the best way to reduce carbon emissions, they don’t endorse or condemn capitalism, they don’t say if we should have an inheritance tax and they don’t tell us how to end animal cruelty. These are all issues where there is room for debate within the Greens. From forest defenders to middle-class doctors and student activists, the Greens party is a broad and accepting social movement that has always celebrated its diversity.

This is why it is pretty hard to understand all the anger being expressed at the establishment of a small, self-organising group within the Greens that calls itself Left Renewal.

Left Renewal members believe that capitalism is a major problem and express a belief in socialism and collective enterprise. They don’t much like the state and want grassroots collective decision-making and reduced police powers. In its blanket opposition to capitalism and denunciation of state power, Left Renewal goes much further than most Greens members are comfortable with.

Just to be clear, neither of us are members of Left Renewal. Having read the group’s opposition to top-down decision-making, it probably wouldn’t have us if we tried. The group certainly steps beyond what either of us believes both economically and politically. However, what it is putting forward is one of many views that is consistent with the Greens’ four principles and is a legitimate contribution to political debate in the party.

Left Renewal has every right to exist in the Greens along with less obvious, but no less real, rightwing groupings in the party. It is perfectly natural for like-minded people in a party to coalesce and seek to achieve common goals. It’s equally natural for people to seek to build bridges internally and adopt more moderate or conciliatory positions. A healthy political party will have all these elements and be able to contribute to broader debates about how society should work.

Before the mid 1980s and the political ascendancy of neoliberalism in Australia’s state and federal parliaments, this country had a much more moderate economic position. It was common political ground that Australia should have a mixed economy with distinct roles for the private market as well as for public ownership and public enterprise. We had publicly owned banks which delivered profits back to government, public ports and railways that stitched our cities, towns and regions together, and a public health and education system that delivered for everyone to world-class standards.

We still have elements of this but they survive on borrowed time in the face of unrelenting political attacks from both the Coalition and Labor. As members of the Greens, we are happy to place a stake in the ground and say we will always support public before private education and public health over private hospitals. However if we are going to make the place fairer and more sustainable we need to support public and social enterprise more broadly.

Of course capitalism has an extraordinary capacity to organise resources and innovate. Whether it is delivering the iPhone or Facebook, cornflakes or solar panels, there is an energy and creativity in capitalism that anyone can see and we support. But capitalism has also put our planet in danger, as the conditions for life are degraded by an economy in which fossil fuels, profit and the market reign supreme.

Markets can’t price a species and they don’t know the value of compassion. They don’t respect the fact that we have a finite planet with finite resources. Markets only respect customers with money, not citizens with rights or a planet in need.

That’s why it is well and truly time to openly reject neoliberalism and the major parties’ uncritical acceptance of market-based solutions to literally every challenge we face.

Let’s remember how in the 1950s Australia led the world with the publicly owned Snowy Hydro scheme for renewable energy. We are a lot richer now than we were then so there is no question that we can build the 21st century public solar and windfarms we need to end our reliance on coal.

t’s time the public stopped subsidising corporations to destroy our native forests and that we redirected the billions of tax dollars from private educators to public schools and Tafe. We can discuss how to future-proof fair internet access by retaining the NBN in public hands. Perhaps we can remember how to tax the rich while we are about it?

In short, we need to come together as a society and say that people are more than customers and our natural world is more than a collection of exploitable resources. We need transformative change. Parliamentarians and elites passing laws and changing government programs cannot alone deliver the level of change that is needed. As always positive change will come about only when grassroots movements have sufficient momentum to drive that change.

If this makes our current leaders uncomfortable then that’s hardly a surprise. It’s about challenging and changing the status quo and that, surely, is what the Greens are here for.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

adamantium|wang posted:

Rod's team has written to the ABC, too:

Rod's going to keep claiming he's totally a senator years from now, wondering the streets of Canberra demanding people listen to him.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Konomex posted:

Rod's going to keep claiming he's totally a senator years from now, wondering the streets of Canberra demanding people listen to him.

Good thing Senator is on the restricted names list or he would just do it by deed poll

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

all crime reports should be accompanied by a 3d model of the accused perpetrator's head, so that the public may 3D print them out and conduct their own phrenological examination.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So is RDN the good guy or the bad guy here?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Anidav posted:

he is the politician, so he's in a state of superentangled good-badness until we collapse the wave function (by destroying capitalism)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

He's the living in a bubble guy trying to stop reality from getting in. Seriously, he's the kind of pragmatic technocrat idiot that got us into the mess we're in in the first place and he thinks he's playing the middle ground when in fact he's only just to the left of the ALP personally. I'm not a fan, anyway but his attitude to this is just lol.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If the Left Renewal are so determined to wipe out capitalism they should join up with the far right wing of the LNP.

Totalitarian autocracy all the way.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

If the Left Renewal are so determined to wipe out capitalism they should join up with the far right wing of the LNP.

Hello Sir do you have a moment to talk about the horseshoe theory of politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gorilla Salad posted:

Idiot. We'll still need capitalism so we can have something to put in the stripper's panties.

• Locked thread