Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LG has decided the best way to give people a top notch trouble free experience on their newest flagship is to use an oddball 2:1 aspect ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe their target market is fans of Panascope and Superscope movies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

LG has decided the best way to give people a top notch trouble free experience on their newest flagship is to use an oddball 2:1 aspect ratio.

Wake me when they stop pussy-footing around like the amateurs they are, and use the big boy 2.35:1 ratio.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Maybe they want to incorporate their second screen bullshit into the main panel.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

Wake me when they stop pussy-footing around like the amateurs they are, and use the big boy 2.35:1 ratio.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MikeJF posted:

But lacking the astonishing software optimisation the pixel got. It's intangible so it's easy to forget or overlook but it's something that shouldn't be disregarded.

True it's not as optimized as the Pixel, it was close to the Performance Crown with the SD820 until the Pixels arrived.

Really it vs any other OEM phone not a pixel, it still is one of the fastest and leanest out there and gets leaner after every update as Sense is made into more of a Launcher App instead of full OEM Rom Theming.

Though with the HTC11 right around the corner, if they can make it closer to the M7-9 design with Stereo speakers without so much wasted front space, I might be tempted.

Look forward to their announcements at least.

Also wouldn't that LG G6 announcement mean the screen would be 16:9 when the on-screen buttons are up? Not like it's a huge thing but a few Honor phones do the same thing don't they?

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 10, 2017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
iOS guy here, knows nothing about Android tablets but now I want one to watch movies on. Specifically my personal BD rips which can be taxing on the CPU but I'm assuming CPUs are fast enough these days that's not really an issue anymore? Anyway, 8-10"+ IPS screen 1080p or better. HDMI output. Decent construction. Must take some form of external/expandable storage.

Any decent apps for playback? Can I playback on the tablet as well as output over HDMI at the same time? Is that even an issue?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 10, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why aren't you using Plex? Would offload the CPU usage to a PC and make organization much easier.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Endless Mike posted:

Why aren't you using Plex? Would offload the CPU usage to a PC and make organization much easier.

That kind of setup doesn't work for my use case which is in a car/plane/boat/space ship/hotel. It needs to be its own self contained system.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Surface. My brother uses one for his kids when he's driving. Just wedges it in between the front seats, so they can't reach it. :haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

That kind of setup doesn't work for my use case which is in a car/plane/boat/space ship/hotel. It needs to be its own self contained system.
Plex lets you download stuff in a format that will run optimally on your device.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mister Macys posted:

Surface. My brother uses one for his kids when he's driving. Just wedges it in between the front seats, so they can't reach it. :haw:

Isn't that windows? I've never tried to use something like that on the go.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's well built, has card storage, decent battery life, is widescreen, and uses VLC player, which does everything.

Win10 may not be OSX, but it's not hard to figure out if it's just file swapping and media playback.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
A surface tablet might be a bit overkill. By on the go I meant in a moving vehicle. I've used plenty of windows laptops in hotels but my only exposure to windows has been the desktop interface. I haven't messed with the tablet stuff.

Anyway, how about the Nvidia Shield? $200 and seems to be able to do everything I want with microSD, HDMI and Kodi.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is it common for a phone losing/finding wifi to interfere with Bluetooth connectivity?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

A surface tablet might be a bit overkill. By on the go I meant in a moving vehicle. I've used plenty of windows laptops in hotels but my only exposure to windows has been the desktop interface. I haven't messed with the tablet stuff.

Anyway, how about the Nvidia Shield? $200 and seems to be able to do everything I want with microSD, HDMI and Kodi.

Great if a bit dated tablet at this time. Though the only major complaint is the battery life is sub par, but if you have access to power all the time then that is pretty much moot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ - Yeah, had Nintendo not contracted them, nVidia would probably be launching new Shield before April, because they had to cancel the one they were working on at the time.

The Surfaces Pro use full Windows 10. Those big color squares are (arguably) optimized for a touch interface, too. :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Great if a bit dated tablet at this time. Though the only major complaint is the battery life is sub par, but if you have access to power all the time then that is pretty much moot.

Also it's probably never getting updated again.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Also it's probably never getting updated again.

Don't think it will get 7.X? The Shield K1 is still a relatively "new" release and they keep selling out showing that there is still demand for a not lovely android tablet. And I agree that the Shield Tablet 2 probably got canned by the Switch coming out, but hopefully will make another appearance later in the year or I guess, next year.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Was the K1 always $200?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shaocaholica posted:

Was the K1 always $200?

The K1, yes. The original Shield Tablet was $300. The K1 is pretty much the same thing but I think it foregoes the stylus slot and some other poo poo.

It still has the same screen and K1 chip, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Don't think it will get 7.X? The Shield K1 is still a relatively "new" release and they keep selling out showing that there is still demand for a not lovely android tablet. And I agree that the Shield Tablet 2 probably got canned by the Switch coming out, but hopefully will make another appearance later in the year or I guess, next year.

Nvidia has publicly announced they are abandoning both the phone and tablet market. So, no Shield 2 was going to happen regardless of Nintendo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
FYI Pixel owners (no idea if this affects other phones, my S7 Edge is fine), there's something wrong with the Facebook and Messenger apps that was changed server side to cause battery drain. Bunch of posts on reddit confirm it.

To get it out of the way, yes, an option is to use a web container app like Metal.

Whatever they broke is apparently causing CPU cores to sit at 100% thus the drain

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Yep, Messenger was definitely draining my battery today until I killed the process. Way to go, Facebook.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Yeah, uh, thanks Facebook. I guess I should have noticed that my phone was running a little hot.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Facebook apps are literally malware. Do not install them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now I'm feeling justified in confusing the Facebook and Messenger apps a while back when I was saying the Messenger app drained battery but it was actually the Facebook app that was historically garbage. Now they're both garbage!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is a company that has in past deliberately broken the app for some users in order to see if people would keep using it despite it being frustrated. gently caress em. Google should've threatened to boot them from Google Play over that.

Then again, this is the same company that was found out to be manipulating people's wall posts to see if they could drive them to depression.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

MikeJF posted:

Then again, this is the same company that was found out to be manipulating people's wall posts to see if they could drive them to depression.

Uhhh, what was this?!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhhh, what was this?!

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/everything-you-need-to-know-about-facebooks-manipulative-experiment/all/1

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Holy that is hosed up, I can't believe I need read details about that at the time. I wish Facebook wasn't so drat useful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy that is hosed up, I can't believe I need read details about that at the time. I wish Facebook wasn't so drat useful.

"Useful" isn't sometihng I hear Facebook called very often.

Anyway, you can just stop using it. Other methods of communicating end up taking up the slack

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thermopyle posted:

"Useful" isn't sometihng I hear Facebook called very often.

Anyway, you can just stop using it. Other methods of communicating end up taking up the slack

That's not helpful, just because something applies to you doesn't mean it does to everyone. Facebook is incredibly useful for keeping in touch with lot of my friends and family in various circles from various geographic locations, as well as sharing photos and planning events with them. It would make me a massive pain in the rear end to try and force my friends to use some other service, and I would end up not communicating certain things or certain ways as much.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

OK

Just because I made a suggestion doesn't mean I'm not aware of the possibility that everyone doesn't have the exact same experience.

I also know that i also felt the exact same way before I mostly gave up FB a few years ago when someone told me to try not using it for awhile.

So sorry to make the suggestion...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Beyond Facebook, who are just blatantly evil, I'm actually kinda annoyed that the journal that received the paper didn't reject it for unethical practices and publish an article about why they made that decision instead. The scientific community should've made a stand on unacceptable ethics there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

OK

Just because I made a suggestion doesn't mean I'm not aware of the possibility that everyone doesn't have the exact same experience.

I also know that i also felt the exact same way before I mostly gave up FB a few years ago when someone told me to try not using it for awhile.

So sorry to make the suggestion...

I've heard the same experience from others who gave it up. They all felt like it was absolutely necessary, no way anyone else would go along with it, too difficult, blah blah and then when they did it it turned out none of that was true. It turns out, life existed before Facebook and it was actually better.

e: vvv Well yeah, there's nothing to be done there.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 11, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My main issue isn't giving up Facebook, it's giving up Messenger. Well, more about other people and them not giving up Messenger.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

e: vvv Well yeah, there's nothing to be done there.

Sever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I stopped using Facebook a few years back, and I haven't missed it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

While it's obviously not as bad as disabling the entire service, Google have done similar things like adding latency into the search results webpages to see when people get mad.