Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The other day I learned that Parrots are mostly left-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

cursed image

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Whoops my finger slipped and now this is my super scary desktop background at work how did this happen?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Did you give him the sunnies

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxnq85sQKHM

Look at those birds :3:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

no

one

looms like gaston

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
So there is a pretty great video on facebook right now of a guy performing CPR on a drowned kookaburra (don't worry, it lives), the noises it makes are loving hilarious.

I was a bit concerned when he hooked the kookaburra up to an air compressor though :stare:

(I am phone posting so no link, I will try to post a link on my lunch break).

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I found a link! It's a bit sad, because the kookaburra is quite out of it at first, and also alarming because jfc that sure is an air compressor.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1389957/Amazing-moment-man-performs-CPR-kookaburra.html

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

I've seen another video of these two (on Facebook, sadly, so it's lost to the deep web somewhere), the way one of them says Gabriel in the ringneck voice is so cute :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Can someone direct me to the website with a background of fantasy rpg birds, like the cockatoo valkyrie and spirit mage ringneck?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Narrator posted:

I've seen another video of these two (on Facebook, sadly, so it's lost to the deep web somewhere), the way one of them says Gabriel in the ringneck voice is so cute :3:
He says it a few times in this one and it's adorable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coVhwOC7_GI

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Clary posted:

Good bird, best friend.

I think the bird is trying to eat the fries, but he owner is moving the bird to the left each time under the presumption that the bird wants to share.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

I think the bird is trying to eat the fries, but he owner is moving the bird to the left each time under the presumption that the bird wants to share.

Yes, that's what it looks like to me. Stop moving the bird! Let him eat! :saddowns:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

While stuck in traffic on the drive to work today, I noticed out the corner of my eye a bird at a feeder in a nearby garden that was larger and more colourful than I'd expect to see here in sunny Yorkshire and quickly realised it must be a wild (probably escaped) parrot. Dark green, looked like a Ringneck from the distance I was seeing it. Flew right over my car to the park on the other side of the road and the underside of its wings was a really strong yellowish colour like my Senegal but it was definitely notably larger. Any ideas what species it might be? Should I try and find it and see if I can locate an owner?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Noxville posted:

While stuck in traffic on the drive to work today, I noticed out the corner of my eye a bird at a feeder in a nearby garden that was larger and more colourful than I'd expect to see here in sunny Yorkshire and quickly realised it must be a wild (probably escaped) parrot. Dark green, looked like a Ringneck from the distance I was seeing it. Flew right over my car to the park on the other side of the road and the underside of its wings was a really strong yellowish colour like my Senegal but it was definitely notably larger. Any ideas what species it might be? Should I try and find it and see if I can locate an owner?

Wings like that? Did it look like a really big ringneck? An alexandrine maybe?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Noxville posted:

If it looked like an indian ringneck but larger, maybe an alexandrine?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

Wings like that? Did it look like a really big ringneck? An alexandrine maybe?

Yup, very definitely could be an Alexandrine, thanks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bored birbs :(

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Noxville posted:

Yup, very definitely could be an Alexandrine, thanks.

That birds a ringneck, sorry to be confusing

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

That birds a ringneck, sorry to be confusing

Well. Probably one of the two then. It flew over fast enough that I couldn't tell if it was beneath the wings or the body that was yellow.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

There are wild ringnecks but you could check your local Gumtree, local Facebook pages, etc and see if there's mention of anyone losing a parrot-Amazons are often green with yellow, though a bit larger still than ringnecks/Alexandrines

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Blurb

Edit: More

This spot at the base of neck between the shoulders is magical, at least for the conures

Hand birb.

Shower potato

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 12, 2017

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Potato Salad posted:

Can someone direct me to the website with a background of fantasy rpg birds, like the cockatoo valkyrie and spirit mage ringneck?

Birdly Default?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Theme of Putni (Night Song)

Sometimes he sings these vaguely musical things, sometimes he just makes noises :derptiel:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Hair on the back of my neck stood up when he made the bass drop. The next Skrillex

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Sometimes he sings these vaguely musical things, sometimes he just makes noises :derptiel:
I love :derptiel:s

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

nielsm posted:

I really liked the back and forth between a car having trouble starting and Mary Poppins. That whole thing was adorable.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

Steve chirped back a bit at first but stopped at the ehhhHHHhhheehhh noises around 0:30 and looked kind of startled, Inko took his place and yelled at the sounds. He sounded so upbeat and happy in his whistles!

Ohtori's turn for a bath this morning

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 13, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's an amazing picture. Steve :3:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is like an IKEA assembly manual step.

Clary
Jan 6, 2011

What are birds?
We just don't know.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Blurb

Shower potato

These are such beautiful birds!

This bird always cracks me up. I feel like his singing suddenly changes into horror movie music. Might check behind the shower curtains to be safe!

Also gently caress broccoli.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hand birb

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
my bff's bird, spice, apparently likes to get weird.

http://curieousdreamer.tumblr.com/post/155833620628/be-be-be-be-bebebebebebebebebebebebebebebebebebe

((vibrating intensifies))

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Kinda looks like Spice is trying to feed from your friend's fingers as if they were a regurgitating mommy bird

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that is deffo a bird thinking pinchy fingers is mummy bird's beak. Baby birds love to do it and a lot of grown up pet birds will do it, especially if they see it gets a reaction.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I don't know what they're called and google isn't instantly giving the answer, but there are these little fleshy circles inside the beak, at the join of the upper and lower mandible. When you press on them or gently squeeze them it makes them do that automatically, sometimes useful to get your birb to drop things they refuse to relinquish. :v:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
This is a phenomenon I have scientifically researched and is officially known as the "gobble gobble reflex".

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

It's really hot.

http://gph.is/2jILVFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

had 2 of these in the yard this morning (corellas)

the cockies were cool with it except for gaston, who charged them repeatedly

i don't think they are coming back :(