Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

(Posting here as it's probably more relevant here than in the D&D Unicorn thread...)

Yesterday, in honor of the 10th anniversary of the original announcement, a friend re-posted the original iPhone announcement presentation. It's very interesting to watch in retrospect. Some highlights...

Jobs talks about "3 revolutionary products" (that of course turned out to all be in the iPhone). The applause was huge for the first product, a "widescreen iPod with touch controls", then everyone went crazy for the second product, a "revolutionary mobile phone", finally, there was only tepid applause for the third product, a "breakthrough internet communication device". Of course, we all now know that final part is about 91% of what made the iPhone such a revolution (and another 7% is the camera, which isn't even in the intro).

Also, when he demos "slide to unlock" and swipe-to-scroll, the crowd "ooh"s and "aah"s like cavemen who have just been shown a bic lighter. When he finally shows off pinch-to-zoom for the first time (at the 33:27 mark) everyone just loses their drat minds.

There's a lot made about the iPhone's email functionality that is demo'd through Yahoo's IMAP service. So there's a good chance that the email accounts that Jobs, Eddy Cue, and a half-dozen other Apple people set up for use in that demo were part of the massive data breach.

After Jobs demonstrates the Google Maps app, Eric Schmidt comes out on behalf of Google and makes some interesting comments about where they saw themselves in the mobile space. In retrospect, this could almost be considered him low-key announcing Android because everything he says here can apply to that.

Seeing the iPhone with the Cingular logo as the carrier throughout the demo was weird. Having the Cingular CEO come out and talk about the fact that they were just acquired by ATT was weirder.

At 1:15:15 Job's clicker stops working so to stall for time he goes to his anecdote about "Woz and me, but mostly Woz" building a TV jammer.

Oh yea, and his goal for the first year of the iPhone was to get 1% market share by selling 10 million units. I don't believe the original iPhone actually hit that mark, but of course it seems like a cute goal now.

And at the end, the company name gets changed from Apple Computer, Inc to Apple, Inc.

So yea, interesting piece of history there.

I worked for AT&T at the time and from that announcement to the release were 100% iPhone promos on all the building TV's.

When it finally came out only one guy on our floor managed to nab one. And yes, touch-to-zoom was the absolute poo poo. Also the onscreen keyboard - which seems so pedestrian now, but was incredibly exotic then.

I have an old first gen-iPhone I got for $50 as part of a corporate clearance. No idea if it'd still work or not. The early ones couldn't even be reverted to iPod Touches without some tinkering. It'd be interesting to force my kids to use iOS 3 or 4 just to see them freak out about no multi-tasking or having to drill down 3 or 4 menus just to access wifi settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

What kind of crazy person doesn't charge their phone constantly while in the car?

I don't charge my 7 plus every night and only end up charging it once every three days or so. The battery life on it is crazy and I don't use my phone that much throughout the day.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I was definitely a "I charge my phone at night okay :colbert:" type person, but now my 6S's battery is getting bad enough that I charge it in the car all the time. :( (Not recall-eligible, FYI.)

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My 7+ has applecare+ which covers battery degradation apparently. How do I check that my battery only ever recharges to 80%?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You take it to the Apple Store and have them run a diagnostic.

EDIT: :chiyo: DA FROOT STANDE :chiyo:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

LanceHunter posted:

(Posting here as it's probably more relevant here than in the D&D Unicorn thread...)

Yesterday, in honor of the 10th anniversary of the original announcement, a friend re-posted the original iPhone announcement presentation. It's very interesting to watch in retrospect. Some highlights...

Jobs talks about "3 revolutionary products" (that of course turned out to all be in the iPhone). The applause was huge for the first product, a "widescreen iPod with touch controls", then everyone went crazy for the second product, a "revolutionary mobile phone", finally, there was only tepid applause for the third product, a "breakthrough internet communication device". Of course, we all now know that final part is about 91% of what made the iPhone such a revolution (and another 7% is the camera, which isn't even in the intro).

I was in that room and these were spot on my feelings. At the time I was using a Treo 650 and just didn't see why you would ever want to try to browse the internet from a mobile device, but I was sold on the iPod since it meant I wouldn't have to lug two devices around.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
⚠️ Trigger warning ⚠️ :

I got a leather case for my 7+ it isn't saddle brown it's the storm grey and it 100% suits my needs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

⚠️ Trigger warning ⚠️ :

I got a leather case for my 7+ it isn't saddle brown it's the storm grey and it 100% suits my needs

You made the correct choice.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

⚠️ Trigger warning ⚠️ :

I'll allow it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

⚠️ Trigger warning ⚠️ :

Your needs, to me, sound like "I wanna get a great case for my phone but it must be the wrong color"

Nah Storm Grey good too tho. The guy who checked me out at DA FRUOT STAND had his in a Storm Grey leather case, and the aging contrast looked really good (read: blackening.) I think the product(RED) is like the only bad color for leather cases this time around. The red leather looks like absolute poo poo once it's worn in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah my launch storm grey looks great.

Storm grey is the new saddle brown.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wish the thread would shut the gently caress up about insignificant circle jerking over loving cases and share more awesome 3D Touch hidden features and other actual useful info.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Laserface posted:

I wish the thread would shut the gently caress up about insignificant circle jerking over loving cases and share more awesome 3D Touch hidden features and other actual useful info.

uhhh.... whoa? bro? cool your JETS big dog

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Laserface posted:

Nice meltdown :grin:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Is there any way I can tell Apple Music to gently caress off? Whenever I plug my phone into my car it starts playing music, which I'm ok with, but it automatically starts playing Apple Music, and I use Amazon Music.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is there any way I can tell Apple Music to gently caress off? Whenever I plug my phone into my car it starts playing music, which I'm ok with, but it automatically starts playing Apple Music, and I use Amazon Music.

"delete" the app

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

"delete" the app

Huh. I just assumed that was an app that couldn't be removed. Thanks.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Huh. I just assumed that was an app that couldn't be removed. Thanks.

I had the exact same problem for years, it was harrowing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Laserface posted:

awesome 3D Touch hidden features

The keyboard cursor's already been mentioned and that's the only one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can 3D touch the X on the top right of your Notifications window to clear all Notifs :smug:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can 3D touch your saddle brown leather case and feel good about your life decisions.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can 3D touch the X on the top right of your Notifications window to clear all Notifs :smug:

I TAKE IT ALL BACK

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weedle posted:

I TAKE IT ALL BACK

Is it possible to do this with one touch?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I didn't realize how cool the regular-rear end iPhone 1 year warranty was. The home button on my SE had been mushy for several months (it worked but didn't really "click" anymore, led to intermittent annoying behavior like accidental Siri activations and stuff). Finally made a store appointment and they just replaced the front display of the phone for free. I was ready to just deal with the flaky button if a repair would've cost more than what I paid for the phone ($50 on Sprint contract) so that was sweet.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Holy poo poo - this is fantastic.

Why isn't that sort of thing made more obvious? Thanks Steve!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because no one has figured out how to provide clues that 3D touch does a thing in a GUI yet. So we have an interface presented as a bog standard 2D surface and you gotta fish around for the spots where pressing hard does something cool.

But not just pressing hard. Sometimes you have to touch lightly and THEN press hard to do something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the peek pop gestures in particular are pretty nonsensical. They work one way for photos, another for music. It's really annoying and badly thought out.

Buttttttt 3D Touch trackpad is the best.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alright, I'll share a cool trick that I don't think a lot of people know about. Or maybe they don't care. But I do.

This applies to 6S and newer, with the "too fast for its own good" Touch ID sensor. Apple addressed this in two ways; the first was adding Raise to Wake, and the second being a toggle in Settings that changes how the home button behaves when unlocking. The trick is to disable that toggle, "Rest Finger to Unlock" or something. Do whatever you want with Raise to Wake, but I don't like it. Tap to Wake would be the poo poo but I digress.

Disabling that toggle makes the home button more versatile: a click with a registered finger will Wake the screen and unlock the phone (but won't bypass the lock screen, so you can do this to check notifications and not have to resort to using an unregistered finger, which iOS doesn't like after too many failed unlock attempts.) Another click will go to the home screen. Alternatively, you can click and rest your finger for about half a second to go straight to the home screen. It essentially mimics the speed and behavior of the first gen Touch ID, and is the only real solution to accidentally skipping the lock screen in my eyes.

Now let me tell you about my Saddle Brown Apple Leather case.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

enojy posted:

Now let me tell you about my Saddle Brown Apple Leather case.

How's your patina and marks of life? I accidentally put my Saddie on top of the coffee maker one day and it got steam burned to hell but given some time to heal and a lot of luxurious oils along with a healthy does of hope and prayer; I am happy to say the Saddie made a full recovery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Raise to wake actually owns as does the default home button behavior. Anyway here is my fully sick saddle brown case with a few months of patina Cheetos grease

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How's your patina and marks of life? I accidentally put my Saddie on top of the coffee maker one day and it got steam burned to hell but given some time to heal and a lot of luxurious oils along with a healthy does of hope and prayer; I am happy to say the Saddie made a full recovery.

I'm on my third one and it's the first one that isn't metamorphosing into a platter of disgusting black pimples. I'm a goon so I don't warsh my hands. I think the real culprit was the Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative I applied to the last two, which probably penetrated the paper-thin leather too well and had a chemical reaction with the glue Apple uses to bond the paper leather to the inner shell. Here's a piccie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is big, dark, and veiny, just like my case.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

enojy posted:

Alright, I'll share a cool trick that I don't think a lot of people know about. Or maybe they don't care. But I do.

This applies to 6S and newer, with the "too fast for its own good" Touch ID sensor. Apple addressed this in two ways; the first was adding Raise to Wake, and the second being a toggle in Settings that changes how the home button behaves when unlocking. The trick is to disable that toggle, "Rest Finger to Unlock" or something. Do whatever you want with Raise to Wake, but I don't like it. Tap to Wake would be the poo poo but I digress.

Disabling that toggle makes the home button more versatile: a click with a registered finger will Wake the screen and unlock the phone (but won't bypass the lock screen, so you can do this to check notifications and not have to resort to using an unregistered finger, which iOS doesn't like after too many failed unlock attempts.) Another click will go to the home screen. Alternatively, you can click and rest your finger for about half a second to go straight to the home screen. It essentially mimics the speed and behavior of the first gen Touch ID, and is the only real solution to accidentally skipping the lock screen in my eyes.

Or just push the button with the tip of your finger.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You'll never believe what the button on the right side of the phone does!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iphone 8 will remove the side buttons and we have to take screenshots with 3d touch. Also to power off you will need to draw the "off" symbol in 3d touch.

Volume? 3d touch!!

None of these functions will be documented anywhere.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

iphone 8 will remove the side buttons and we have to take screenshots with 3d touch. Also to power off you will need to draw the "off" symbol in 3d touch.

Volume? 3d touch!!

None of these functions will be documented anywhere.

You're 3d touching it wrong.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How often do you guys need to rescan your fingerprints for touch id. It feels like at the end of each month my Touch ID just stops working for unlocking my phone. It's really pissing me off. I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus. I use touch id on my ipad pro and it works flawlessly. I'm thinking my phone might be broken.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

How often do you guys need to rescan your fingerprints for touch id

never

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

edit: just oiled up the Saddie, will post pics later!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I deleted my fingerprints and shut off the 3 touch id sliders. Rebooted, wiped the home button with a microfiber, turned on touch id, and rescanned my thumb and index. Seems to be working properly again. We'll see for how long.

You think a booger got stuck to the ridge of the home button? Maybe I should invest in fancy touch screen gloves and a neti pot.