Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Welp, gonna hafta try TNFCEZ now. Thanks, Vib Rib!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huh?
Jul 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Vib Rib posted:

If you've never played TFC but always wanted to, there's no better time to start! This pack will guide you through how to play and get you running in no time. If you've never wanted to, maybe this will make you reconsider! If you've never even heard of it or cared until now, I hope something catches your eye!
I haven't put out Minecraft content since Sky Den and it's my first time working with HQM so I'm pretty excited. So please, if you do try this pack, let me know what you think of it. Share your stories, interests, concerns, bugs, etc., whether with my specific additions or with TFC in general!

I've looked at TFC a few times, but never managed to seriously start it up. I'm giving this a shot. Thanks for the effort!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It took me three attempts to find a map that had my basic needs covered (first two, no fresh water or seaweed anywhere), but I now have a thatch hidey-hole surrounded by jack-o-lanterns near a small pond, which is a hell of a lot further than I got with the original pack. Thanks Vib Rib!

Now I just need to find clay and figure out how it wants farming to work! :buddy:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

TFC farming: gathering wild plants gives you ranks up in your agricultural skill. Once you've got it high enough, you can use a metal hoe to see soil nutrients. If you don't get enough skillups and need to plant stuff, use the TFC Wiki to determine the soil nutrient (A, B, or C) and plant like plants together. Make signs to label which plot is which (or spell it out in blocks or whatever.) Rotate crops as needed. Soybeans and green beans replenish not-B nutrients in the soil in which they're planted, so they are good crops to gather when you see them.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus

I literally just got to the point where I was staring red steel in the face on my first go with TNFC (after years of playing a game of "vanilla" TFC every ~12 months without ever getting that far), and I'm totally dropping that world to check out this modpack.

I was thinking of using that TFCOre.cfg.sparse file you left in the config folder, since when I've tried to lower ore gen rarity to the 20 range, it made the propick almost useless as I would get 4+ veins' readings on top of each other. One of the few skills I can claim in this life is being able to prospect video game ore with a pick, so that noise really irritated my spergbone. Was that file a previous version you had tried?

edit: good seed is "willows", which indeed has willows nearby. it's also at a sweet spot altitude where there's pigs everywhere, cows every once in awhile, and sheep in the high hills/mountains. I eventually set up camp about 1500 blocks west of world spawn that covered all the bases for getting both Blue and Red steel within 1000 blocks of said spot. Basically, lots of land everywhere with a good selection of top layers, and I only had to dig down to layer 3 to get to Gabbro for Garnierite.

Leavy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 8, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Correct answer.

On my ... third attempt or whatever, I did manage to secure myself, and I started to dig out a 9x9x9 volume for a tree area. My air ran low and nothing was helping. I punched out of my hovel and still wouldn't get any air. I didn't get much of a chance to figure out what or why before a gravity creeper blew me up through my bronze armor and knocked out one of my chests. So yeah, gently caress that.

But now what am I going to do?
I feel like I'm in a live cooking show where the finished roast is ready to go in the second oven and I just have to pull it out. This shall be the new toy.

sapling will give you air.

so drop some dirt then put a tree down, it doesnt have to have room to grow.

Edit- rubber saplings dont give air though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I should probably have mentioned ahead of time but between the HQM quest book and the in-game-wiki mod, TNFC EZ drops a lot of information on your head kind of all at once, and unfortunately neither resource pauses the game for you. As a result the best thing you can do is go through HQM (push the first few quests ASAP, then review more at leisure during the nights when you're otherwise huddling in a hiding space) and browse the IGW while you've got similar downtime and/or as you run into topics that tell you to check it. Trying to read the entire IGW at first is just going to give you an information overload.

Leavy posted:

edit: good seed is "willows", which indeed has willows nearby. it's also at a sweet spot altitude where there's pigs everywhere, cows every once in awhile, and sheep in the high hills/mountains. I eventually set up camp about 1500 blocks west of world spawn that covered all the bases for getting both Blue and Red steel within 1000 blocks of said spot. Basically, lots of land everywhere with a good selection of top layers, and I only had to dig down to layer 3 to get to Gabbro for Garnierite.
Probably the biggest change, and something I wanted to mention, is that ore spawning is no longer restricted to just a few rock types. Garnierite here is the best example: in the original TFC, this vital ore only spawned in Gabbro -- just one of the 21 rock types. So you had to wander far and wide, digging down to test the various enormous stone layers from time to time, hoping to find gabbro, and then hoping to find garnierite in it. Kimberlite, too, was restricted to JUST gabbro. Or maybe you were looking for lapis lazuli, which only spawned in marble. You could search an entire world for hours on end just looking for new stone layers and never happen to find the stone you needed, let alone the ore.
In TNFC EZ, ore distribution is wildly changed. Ores are now distributed by stone group, rather than specific stone, so minerals and ores can be found in many more types. For instance, the once-exclusive Garnierite now spawns in ALL igneous layers, 14 total, rather than just one igneous intrusive layer. The goal was to make it less a game of memorizing/wiki-matching ores to rare stones and hunting for both, and more making each category of stone offer a different profile of ores to give each their own sort of theme or feel.
It's specifically to avoid the sort of "hey this is a great seed but in 8 hours of wandering I haven't found marble so I'm going to just restart" thing that I made the distribution changes for. I want this pack to feasibly be completed by a single player, if possible.

Leavy posted:

I was thinking of using that TFCOre.cfg.sparse file you left in the config folder, since when I've tried to lower ore gen rarity to the 20 range, it made the propick almost useless as I would get 4+ veins' readings on top of each other. One of the few skills I can claim in this life is being able to prospect video game ore with a pick, so that noise really irritated my spergbone. Was that file a previous version you had tried?
Ore density is greatly down in this pack, but it's not so dense you can't find spaces in between. This is a shot of the underground with only ores visible:

This is out to render distance, too. As you can see they're noticeably denser than TFC's default, but while there are a few patches that overlap, there's still plenty of space between most deposits such that prospecting should work just fine. Finding large cliffs and mountains will usually get you some exposed ore here.
If you like it more spread out, I definitely recommend switching to TFCOre.cfg.sparse (it's mentioned down the line in the IGW, I think, under one of the Ore pages). It uses the same distribution rules (i.e. no longer restricting vital ores to a single type of stone you may never find because "that's how it is in real life", but the density is much closer to original TFC, so you'll still have to do a fair deal of hunting. It's more slow paced, while the TNFC EZ default is intentionally erring on the side of generosity.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It took me three attempts to find a map that had my basic needs covered (first two, no fresh water or seaweed anywhere), but I now have a thatch hidey-hole surrounded by jack-o-lanterns near a small pond, which is a hell of a lot further than I got with the original pack. Thanks Vib Rib!
It's funny, there's not a lot that can really sabotage a start (dry grass is basically the worst thing you can run into other than a teeny tiny island in a huge sea), and in the 10+ times I started for testing I never got a bad spawn.
Then when the pack was done and I was just test running it on fresh worlds I got about five in a row that were basically uninhabitable.
So yeah, if you get a bad spawn, don't feel bad about rerolling your world. I mention as much in a quest pretty early on in the hopes that people who need to restart can do so before they get too attached to their world.

E: Also for whatever reason the game starts you with 16 vanilla apples you can't use or eat, and in typical modpack style, nobody ever bothered to fix it. I tossed in apples as a first-quest reward to address it, since there's no way to actually turn it off.
One of the biggest hurdles, oddly enough, was that any time-specific items couldn't be given as quest rewards. If I gave food as a reward it would have a "creation date" on it based on when I spawned it, and if you ended up turning in that quest months after the date I'd created it in MY world, it would age instantly and rot into dust. On the other hand I have an animal delivered as a possible quest reward and on claiming it the first time it de-aged into a calf. :psyduck:
Hopefully those errors have all been knocked out.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 8, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

It's funny, there's not a lot that can really sabotage a start (dry grass is basically the worst thing you can run into other than a teeny tiny island in a huge sea), and in the 10+ times I started for testing I never got a bad spawn.
Then when the pack was done and I was just test running it on fresh worlds I got about five in a row that were basically uninhabitable.
So yeah, if you get a bad spawn, don't feel bad about rerolling your world. I mention as much in a quest pretty early on in the hopes that people who need to restart can do so before they get too attached to their world.
It's funny, but the world I was able to actually use started me in a dry grass area. I managed to stumble into a forest while looking for trees, though.

By the way, Vib Rib, if you could make something similar for SkyExchange I'd love you forever.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey Vib Rib, I wasn't really double-checking the quest book, so this might be covered, but I can't eat the vanilla apples that are given out right at the beginning. Is that the plan? I was assuming that was supposed to be some starter food, and then you give some TFC apples I can eat.

(there will be a lot of stuff like that)

I am checking to see if jack-o-lanterns come up in the TFC quest book. I was going to bring up they are an easy way for me to put unobtrusive lighting in a starter hut because torches apparently like to set poo poo on fire--or that's whatever TFC pack I've tried to use in the past.

Meskhenet posted:

sapling will give you air.

so drop some dirt then put a tree down, it doesnt have to have room to grow.

Edit- rubber saplings dont give air though.

Sorry man, but that's too little, too late. Vib Rib's my hookup now and his stuff is the poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am checking to see if jack-o-lanterns come up in the TFC quest book.
Yes they do, right after you make 16 torches.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey Vib Rib, I wasn't really double-checking the quest book, so this might be covered, but I can't eat the vanilla apples that are given out right at the beginning. Is that the plan? I was assuming that was supposed to be some starter food, and then you give some TFC apples I can eat.
Yeah, the apples thing is hardcoded into the pack and I couldn't find how to turn it off, clearly an attempt at starter food but I just threw in some actual food as the first quest reward.
Also TFC torches don't start fires, that's Enviromine, I think, though they do have to be relit every few days. TFC firepits don't even start fires. Pit kilns WILL, though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, the apples thing is hardcoded into the pack and I couldn't find how to turn it off, clearly an attempt at starter food but I just threw in some actual food as the first quest reward.
Also TFC torches don't start fires, that's Enviromine, I think, though they do have to be relit every few days. TFC firepits don't even start fires. Pit kilns WILL, though.

Heh I'll take a look myself then. Something must be throwing it in.

Another thing: I think the minus key somehow is controlling lighting. It got dark and everything was still quite bright in my little hole. I hit minus again and it all got dark. I hit it one more time and it got bright again. I'm not sure what's doing it; nothing in the controls jumped out at me.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
So I'm jumping on the TFCEZ bandwagon, I did the ropes+ rope arrow quest, and the text says to use it with the bow, but since I've never used that mod before I couldn't figure out any way to get the bow to work with the arrow.

Other than that I haven't had any real problems, aside from spiders being the only way to get string, which doesn't make sense since jute is right there in the pack and would make just as much sense for anyone wanting to try to play the game for the surivorman kind of experience instead of hunting monsters all the time.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Well this is gonna have to be queued for after I've got my fill of SkyFactory. It'll give you goons some time to beta test it. Good work getting it all done though Vib Rib.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've been checking out Mekanism v9 and it has some real cool stuff in it. I think it also takes the new top spot for most powerful energy generation. I'm talking 50+ million rf per tick.

Is there a list of every mod and which version TFCEZ uses?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
hahaha i thought sapling drops got turned way down because i couldn't get a single one after breaking a shitload of leaves in the acacia stand i spawned by

turns out acacia saplings can only be cheated in :suicide:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

immoral_ posted:

So I'm jumping on the TFCEZ bandwagon, I did the ropes+ rope arrow quest, and the text says to use it with the bow, but since I've never used that mod before I couldn't figure out any way to get the bow to work with the arrow.

Other than that I haven't had any real problems, aside from spiders being the only way to get string, which doesn't make sense since jute is right there in the pack and would make just as much sense for anyone wanting to try to play the game for the surivorman kind of experience instead of hunting monsters all the time.
Rope arrows should be used automatically if you have them in your inventory and just draw your bow as normal. They might need to be placed before/after regular arrows to get priority, though? Quiver might interfere.
As for string, there's a lot of things that jute fiber can be used for, but bowstring isn't one of them.

Edminster posted:

hahaha i thought sapling drops got turned way down because i couldn't get a single one after breaking a shitload of leaves in the acacia stand i spawned by

turns out acacia saplings can only be cheated in :suicide:
Acacia, Kapok, and Sequoia, apparently. I didn't know this. Whoops. :shobon:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

As for string, there's a lot of things that jute fiber can be used for, but bowstring isn't one of them.

as opposed to slaying giant spiders and harvesting their silk, which is what we do irl

that said, i am greatly enjoying the pack, and the book is a pretty decent guide to getting started

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

as opposed to slaying giant spiders and harvesting their silk, which is what we do irl

that said, i am greatly enjoying the pack, and the book is a pretty decent guide to getting started
I learned it all from this informative documentary.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Perversely, I kind of want to hear what the grinding=difficult=fun Gregtech crowd thinks of TNFCez if it ever goes full public. There's something about balancing for playability and documentation that seems to make some MC mod fans remarkably angry, and despite not usually being into trolling I want to see them rail against the Vib Rib enjoyment machine.

Please post any EZ hatemail you get from the non-goon public in the thread please, Vib. And thanks for your enormous effort in putting this together regardless of greggy tears.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Perversely, I kind of want to hear what the grinding=difficult=fun Gregtech crowd thinks of TNFCez if it ever goes full public. There's something about balancing for playability and documentation that seems to make some MC mod fans remarkably angry, and despite not usually being into trolling I want to see them rail against the Vib Rib enjoyment machine.

Please post any EZ hatemail you get from the non-goon public in the thread please, Vib. And thanks for your enormous effort in putting this together regardless of greggy tears.
There is a subset of gamers who really do enjoy "work simulators" and for some reason, the more tedium and grind they have to do, the more they love it. The idea people might play games purely for fun seems to escape or enrage them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

There is a subset of gamers who really do enjoy "work simulators" and for some reason, the more tedium and grind they have to do, the more they love it. The idea people might play games purely for fun seems to escape or enrage them.

I think another side of it is that when you gate end game content behind endless grinding they feel like they've earned it and are offended at people who have that level of fun with less effort.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I never got a peep from anybody complaining that BFSR was too easy. I expected it too. Instead, some kid wanted me to do a similar pack for GregTech and I had to be all "Awww hell naw!"

In related news: I finally saw the note that cave-ins were disabled, which explained why I was winning every game of chicken I was playing with this one tetrahedrite-laden cliffside.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 9, 2017

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I started work on a Gregtech EZ pack but quit working on it. It's a cool and big mod that is just plain stupid about a few things.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Anyone know of an app like minecraft structure planner but for android?
Plenty of apps out there that show you how to build structures from the play store but cant seem to find a builder.
Doesn't need to have a schematic export or anything.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TFEZ has keepinventory set to false as default!!!

now i gotta smelt a new saw to build a boat to go overseas to find my corpse :mad:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

TFEZ has keepinventory set to false as default!!!

now i gotta smelt a new saw to build a boat to go overseas to find my corpse :mad:
You can make a boat with a stone axe. One of the first quests specifically tells you to.

Also I don't know how to set a pack to have keepInventory on by default, since it's a map setting and I don't know where that setting would be.

E: Duly noted. I'll throw it into the pack as soon as I get a chance.
E2: Done. I couldn't find where the .cfg file it generated was but the mod's default setting is to turn keepInventory on so it should be fine anyway.
vvvv

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 10, 2017

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Vib Rib posted:

Also I don't know how to set a pack to have keepInventory on by default, since it's a map setting and I don't know where that setting would be.
There's a few mods that do it:

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/default-gamerules

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey Vib Rib, I managed to mine my first ruby and some kaolinite. I teleported back to my base and found I could run super fast and jump really high. Is there some key binding I might have hit? I couldn't see anything. The super powers are kind of cool, but it's making it hard to be precise. Maybe my player died in the mine and these are just his last hallucinations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey Vib Rib, I managed to mine my first ruby and some kaolinite. I teleported back to my base and found I could run super fast and jump really high. Is there some key binding I might have hit? I couldn't see anything. The super powers are kind of cool, but it's making it hard to be precise. Maybe my player died in the mine and these are just his last hallucinations.
Possibly the R key.
The very first push of the pack still had a noclip/xray vision mod in it that I used to fly around and check things like ore distribution or crop spawning. There's a 'speed' key or something in there.

It's out of the pack now but if you downloaded it, you can turn it off manually with the LiteLoader in game menu (the little tab on the right with a chicken icon on it when you pause).

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I have a problem with technic launcher.

I can open it, download/install packs

but when i hit play the green bar moves a bit then goes away and nothing happens.

I guess ill try reinstalling the launcher.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The only thing I can think of is that you need to devote more RAM to the launcher.

In the upper right of the window is Launcher Options. Click that, then Java Settings. There's a dropdown box for Memory. A lot of packs want at least four gigs. Make sure that you have 64 bit Java installed too. For some reason, the automated installer only ever does 32 bit, so you'll have to get 64 bit manually.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I was gonna give TechNodeFirmaCraft EZ a spin but the modpack is hidden on technic now. Bummer.

edit: Nevermind I figured it out!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

The only thing I can think of is that you need to devote more RAM to the launcher.

In the upper right of the window is Launcher Options. Click that, then Java Settings. There's a dropdown box for Memory. A lot of packs want at least four gigs. Make sure that you have 64 bit Java installed too. For some reason, the automated installer only ever does 32 bit, so you'll have to get 64 bit manually.

that may be the problem, 32bit (ive given it 5gig min)

And it used to work fine before, then i did something with java and that killed it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Can't 32bit programs only use 3.3 gig of ram?

Unrelated:
Big Reactor fuel reactivity upto 931% 1.4 million rf/t @ 3.5 mb/t, max output 8.5 million rf/t using 880 mb/t of fuel. (17 yellorium ingots per second)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 10, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Possibly the R key.
The very first push of the pack still had a noclip/xray vision mod in it that I used to fly around and check things like ore distribution or crop spawning. There's a 'speed' key or something in there.

It's out of the pack now but if you downloaded it, you can turn it off manually with the LiteLoader in game menu (the little tab on the right with a chicken icon on it when you pause).

I think it's still there. I haven't been prompted for updates yet, but I'll make sure to restart the launcher tonight and see if a new one pops up. I'm surprised I didn't run into it until now because I'll hit R when I'm trying my damnedest to make room to cram one more item into my inventory. Of course it happened all the time in my one session after you brought it up.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hammering nuggets of ore is causing hammers to barf out of me. :raise:

Oh and Vib, Mod suggestion: Better Rain. Because default's rain sound is loving awful and rain actually matters in TFC (dont let your drying foodstuffs get wet!) so turning off the sound is a bad idea.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I had my Mojang account hacked this week and I'm not sure how, so I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities. I use a randomly generated password on it that I don't use anywhere else. Maybe a dumb question, but both Technic and MultiMC are considered safe right? I can think of anything I used that would have been able to sniff my password. I use a pile of mods, but as far as I know, those shouldn't have password access.

I recovered the account, so it's not a huge deal, but I'm a little confused how it happened and I want to be careful not to use whatever compromised it again.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I've been talking about Minecraft modpacks with a friend of mine and he mentioned there was one pack that he had heard about that we could try, but he's sadly forgotten the name and such of it. Supposedly the modpack had stuff like RPG-style classes in them and was more focused on exploration than the usual ressource managment and optimisation. Was hoping anyone here had an idea what pack that might've been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
That sounds like hack slash mine, a modpack that's sadly been dormant for years.