Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Grayshift posted:

If you get a good arena he's still easy to chump, but on bad arenas I'll actually stop firing to focus purely on dodging for that attack.

If I get that loving arena with the two vertical water channels on Gatling gull I will just reset. The problem with the gull is that his spray pattern doesn't really end up working as intended for his machine gun. If you stand still you will notice that he just sprays back and forth making a reasonable pattern to dodge through. So if you start at medium distance and avoid moving its actually really easy to dodge. The problem is as mentioned that once he rotates it messes up the pattern, which makes you move more, which messes up the pattern more. Which causes the pattern to turn into a wall of bullets with 0 spaces in it to dodge. I just can't help feeling like this was intentional, but maybe the dev team just decided to roll with it.

He still isn't as bad as the bullet king. I feel like I always use all my blanks on the old chair and I am just hosed if he decides to move toward me so I have to cross over him and fire off the double exploding balls at that moment over and over. I tried going under him but I found that much riskier compared to going over the top and maybe having to use a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Agent355 posted:

. You can use the number buttons to swap weapons just like any ole FPS game.

:aaaaa:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Scruffy, in the last video you started talking about using the tables for cover and why you don't do that and then got cut off by something else and unless I missed it completely, you didn't pick that thread back up. I know there's a lot going on between here and there, but do you recall what that was?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

CzarChasm posted:

Scruffy, in the last video you started talking about using the tables for cover and why you don't do that and then got cut off by something else and unless I missed it completely, you didn't pick that thread back up. I know there's a lot going on between here and there, but do you recall what that was?

I don't think Scruffy has ever used a table for cover so far in this LP.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Cover is for folks who can't keep track of a number of small moving dots

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's an early game crutch, as it means you probably aren't moving, they aren't in any of the boss arenas and they break rather easily, though learning them does have advantages, especially with the braziers.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

If you have a time stamp I might be able to elaborate, assuming I can pick the thought back up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

berryjon posted:

I don't think Scruffy has ever used a table for cover so far in this LP.

and isnt kicking over certain explosive barrels.
Which incidentally are both my favorite things to do. Especially with certain table techs (TT Sight hnnnnnng)

Shame there isnt a character all about kicking.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I hope Scruffy gets a chance to show off table tech rocket now that he unlocked it. It's not you know, objectively good or anything, but it is amazing and needs to be seen.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I found Table Tech Money the other day and was sorely disappointed when it gave me one casing every three or four tables flipped instead of every single table. Wish I had known that before I spent all my money on it.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Green Intern posted:

I found Table Tech Money the other day and was sorely disappointed when it gave me one casing every three or four tables flipped instead of every single table. Wish I had known that before I spent all my money on it.

TTMoney is one of those things that's just awful on it's own, but synergises really well if you get other table techs because they all flip at once. (except for Rocket...). Once had that, TT-Blank, and the Gold Ammolet. Instant room clears when you flip a table.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
So, something that amazes me about this game is the hidden synergies.
Full disclosure, I'm pretty bad at this game, but I had finally had a good run where I got the composite gun in the first chest, and just kept rolling from there.
Eventually, I picked up a heart of ice (extra heart, releases a flurry of ice projectiles when you get hit), the super soaker and a battery gun (looks like a duracell and shoots electricity).
I got to the boss of the 4th floor and it's the gun priest. I figured I would spray the arena down with water, shoot some voltage for a constant DPS and then use the Composite gun for main damage.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the heart of ice also turns the water that you spray into ice on the floor and it became impossible for me to control my character effectively and I died VERY quickly.
The other downside is that the gun priest floats....
So, yeah... SYNERGIES!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That is some Dwarf-Fortress-tier game-object-interaction right there. I really do like that they programmed that sort of thing in.

...can you still electrify ice?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

vdate posted:

That is some Dwarf-Fortress-tier game-object-interaction right there. I really do like that they programmed that sort of thing in.

...can you still electrify ice?

I don't think so. They did think about the whole water+electricity thing though, there's a ~secret character~ whose starting gimmick is water and electricity.

I got a special guest who did co-commentary with me, so it should be up in the next few days!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
As I am playing along, I just managed to kill the first past, Hunter.

Special thanks to holster (fire another round on reload), 100 spent on the multiple bullet blessing, mental cannon and hexgun... Did you guys know, that multiple bullet blessing can trigger of the holster fire? That + mental cannon meant that every room on 5th level was cleaned out before it even started. :v:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

The last several posts posted:

In-game strategies and synergies

I think it's working, Scruffy.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
One irritating thing I rediscovered was that you can't dodge roll over the tables.
It feels like it should be the first thing when one thinks of major shootouts. Jumping the table and flipping it quickly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This talk of synergies and people suddenly starting to get more interested in the game thanks to someone really good at it showing it off is really reminding me of the early days of Isaac, back around when Wraith of the Lamb came out for the original build. Like, people had stopped worrying about the "git gud" portion of strategy, and started learning how to have fun with all the weird things you could do in it. Honestly, this thread is starting to make me interested too, and I have such a full plate already...

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Count me as another who started this game recently due to the thread. Using tables and such is really useful, but I understand how troublesome it is to get into the habit. What helped me learn was to assign one of my mouse's side buttons to "use". After that table flipping became much more fluid since it took the task away from the hand using WASD.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
So here's a question. How does the game work with a controller? More standard top-down twin stick shooter, where your character aims in the direction you push the right stick?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

KieranWalker posted:

So here's a question. How does the game work with a controller? More standard top-down twin stick shooter, where your character aims in the direction you push the right stick?
You can set it up however you want, but I normally go with movement on the left stick, aim with the right, and shooting on the shoulders. But yeah, they allow you to setup it up however you want though it feels a bit inaccurate compared to mouse and keyboard.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

discworld is all I read posted:

You can set it up however you want, but I normally go with movement on the left stick, aim with the right, and shooting on the shoulders. But yeah, they allow you to setup it up however you want though it feels a bit inaccurate compared to mouse and keyboard.

There is option to set aim assist for controller, depending how much of a crutch you need.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I killed the dragun for the first time. I'd say I got better, but the run involved wax wings, a metronome, and all the ammo for an elephant gun i could ever want. Still felt pretty good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So I haven't done much in the way of bullet hell roguelikes but during the Steam Christmas sale I picked up both this and Nuclear Throne and have about 6-7+ hours in each so far, having gotten to the Hollow in Gungeon and the Labs in Nuclear Throne.

Here's the fundamental difference I noticed between the two; in Nuclear Throne poo poo can happen really fuckin fast, and your health can go down correspondingly fast as well, whereas in Gungeon enemies only ever really do a single half-heart of damage (barring exceptions of course) and things feel less frantic and hectic. On the other hand in Nuclear Throne pickups and opportunities to regain health and ammo through mutations are much more common, while in Gungeon random drops are much rarer and things like heart containers are gated behind either spending keys on chests or no-hitting bosses, to say nothing of things like ammo scarcity.

So, at least to me, Nuclear Throne feels more like a roller coaster, it has more ups and downs but it ultimately feels a lot more generous about letting you claw your way back up from 1 health and being almost out of ammo with a brief killing spree and when you die you die all at once, whereas Gungeon feels like a death spiral where once you start taking damage the odds of your run being successful go down and tend to stay down.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Well that took a lot longer than it should have. Hot tip if you're doing live commentary: don't delete it and then commentate with another person who also deletes it.

The Convict's Past/Polsy

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Wow, that guy you got with you sounds like a total chumpus.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That version of LotR was the Ralph Bakshi version btw, a version long reviled for weird animation (it was all rotoscoped, giving it a weird uncanny valley look) and the fuzzy slippers Balrog.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That version of LotR was the Ralph Bakshi version btw, a version long reviled for weird animation (it was all rotoscoped, giving it a weird uncanny valley look) and the fuzzy slippers Balrog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kylnv0eTsGc

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Wow, it really does look like fuzzy slippers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kylnv0eTsGc

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So uh, when you got the second piece of trash, did it make the garbage cannon even stronger? Cause uh, you never tried it out again.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I never thought I'd find something that made Jackson's Warhammer reject Balrog look cool by comparison,but there we go.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
An inside source tells me the other guy asked this and the answer is no, only one piece of scrap makes a difference.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

VolticSurge posted:

I never thought I'd find something that made Jackson's Warhammer reject Balrog look cool by comparison,but there we go.

Yeah, Bakshi's LotR movie is... something. I got it in a "trilogy" pack with the Rankin/Bass Hobbit and RotK and the shift in animation style/quality is quite jarring.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I lost it when the Hot Lead ducks started showing up. Something about the fact that you were firing fire ducks. :laugh:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do you get anything extra for beating jammed bosses?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Is this that rocket launcher you were talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggMwkGnbhw&t=33s
It's the first scene in the supercut, if the timestamp doesn't work, I just skip some slow buildup.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

IMJack posted:

Is this that rocket launcher you were talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggMwkGnbhw&t=33s
It's the first scene in the supercut, if the timestamp doesn't work, I just skip some slow buildup.
That's clearly meant to evoke the FLASH but is just a four tubes prop held together with some brackets. The actual thing and on-model props have an outer box, flip-down covers, and is held in a square position with the sights on the side rather than a diamond with sights on top.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was so hopeful with that crazy combo you'd finally get all five master rounds.

Oh well. Power Ducks were a nice consolation prize.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fish Noise posted:

That's clearly meant to evoke the FLASH but is just a four tubes prop held together with some brackets. The actual thing and on-model props have an outer box, flip-down covers, and is held in a square position with the sights on the side rather than a diamond with sights on top.

I just really know it from Commando in my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, thank heavens that's over with. I would consider the Convict to be the worst gungoneer by far - even tho she's the coolest of the bunch.

• Locked thread