Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

And similar signamancy doesn't mean similar loyalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nimby posted:

And similar signamancy doesn't mean similar loyalties.

If anything it probably means Albert feels the betrayal far more deeply than he would have otherwise.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Hmm, now that I think about it he does seem especially upset Don isn't in charge anymore.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Albert seems to be a little Royalist poo poo. Cut his throat, Vinny.

Parson needs to bring the guillotine to Erfworld. Royalism is a cancer that must be excised.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why didn't Vinny hammer on the fact that Jillian had been lying to Don King and taking a massive amount of cash and magic from Charlie? Why wouldn't he present it as self-defense first, double-cross second?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Albert seems to be a little Royalist poo poo. Cut his throat, Vinny.

Parson needs to bring the guillotine to Erfworld. Royalism is a cancer that must be excised.

:black101:

He will be Erfworld's Robespierre

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Why didn't Vinny hammer on the fact that Jillian had been lying to Don King and taking a massive amount of cash and magic from Charlie? Why wouldn't he present it as self-defense first, double-cross second?

Does he know? he doesn't seem to know why Caeser is Overlord now.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The name "the Spiteful Tower, or Spite" seems like a reference to something, but I'm drawing a blank.

Onmi posted:

Does he know? he doesn't seem to know why Caeser is Overlord now.

Vinny was the one they asked "is Jillian getting support from Charlie?" and who returned all the intelligence that said "yeah probably".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

The name "the Spiteful Tower, or Spite" seems like a reference to something, but I'm drawing a blank.

Vinny was the one they asked "is Jillian getting support from Charlie?" and who returned all the intelligence that said "yeah probably".

What I mean is: Does he know that Caeser didn't croak Don?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Onmi posted:

What I mean is: Does he know that Caeser didn't croak Don?
From a royalist's perspective, his lack of complete obedience for his king led directly to Don's death, so from Albert's perspective, there's probably no meaningful distinction in how that event went down whether or not Caesar did the actual croaking himself.

From Vinny's perspective, it probably doesn't matter who did the killing if he'd known the circumstances of why it happened.

tl;dr I don't think the what matters to anyone involved, and half the parties don't care about the why, either.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 5, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

From a royalist's perspective, his lack of complete obedience for his king led directly to Don's death, so from Albert's perspective, there's probably no meaningful distinction in how that event went down whether or not Caesar did the actual croaking himself.

From Vinny's perspective, it probably doesn't matter who did the killing if he'd known the circumstances of why it happened.

I mean I feel like it matters for Loyalty purposes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Onmi posted:

I mean I feel like it matters for Loyalty purposes.

Don was willfully choosing to hand Charlie a game ending victory. I dont
think Vinny would care how the deed happened.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i think Caesar leading a coup vs bunny giving her life to croak Don to save Caesar is a pretty significant difference

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Ceaser/Bunny affair was presumably a secret, and she was supposedly super loyal becuase of ponzie thing. So even assuming Vinny knows the slightest thing about how Don died, it still looks like Ceaser pulled some poo poo somehow.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

We know from Book 0 that when a Ruler is croaked, even a Royal caster doesn't get any particular clue about how it happened.

Unless Maggie offered her help (which I highly doubt, as Vinny would almost certainly have mentioned it in this update), then everything Vinny knows must come from hat messages sent by Caesar himself.

Then again, Vinny definitely seemed to have respect for Caesar, so if the latter told him the truth (as far as he himself understands it) I think Vinny would have trusted him. Again, if Vinny felt at all uneasy about working for Caesar I think that would have come up in this update too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This was kind of disappointing, it seemed like Vinny was setting up for a :master: last update, and everything just fell flat in this one. It even skipped the initial oh poo poo moment and realization from Albert.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

New side-plot time! Hope they find that wrench soon, cause this book keeps dragging on and on and ooonnnnnnn....

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

nimby posted:

New side-plot time! Hope they find that wrench soon, cause this book keeps dragging on and on and ooonnnnnnn....

Nah, I think they'll just pop up later. Or be condemned to an eternity underground.

Much more importantly (and the whole point of this update): who took all the guns? Was it Charlescomm or the Thinkamancers? And which would be worse?

Zoe posted:

This was kind of disappointing, it seemed like Vinny was setting up for a :master: last update, and everything just fell flat in this one. It even skipped the initial oh poo poo moment and realization from Albert.

What would that update consist of, though? Right now it's just Vinny capturing Faq, which after taking out the towers seems like it'll be pretty boring. The last one said pretty much all it had to about that situation.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What would that update consist of, though? Right now it's just Vinny capturing Faq, which after taking out the towers seems like it'll be pretty boring. The last one said pretty much all it had to about that situation.

Capturing FAQ doesn't need to be action packed or difficult. I'd have also been happy with it being so trivially easy as to be skipped over altogether and have the update deal with the aftermath. As it is not much was actually resolved in this one and it wasn't interesting enough in its own right to make another delay/barrier to progress sit right with me. It really feels like Book 3 is long over due in wrapping up some conflicts instead of getting side tracked onto new ones.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I hope Rob prefaces the next update with a hastily-scribbled END OF BOOK 3 / HERE STARTS BOOK 4 ALRIGHT just so y'all will stop whining that the story is "dragging" because of an arbitrary editorial marker.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I hope Rob prefaces the next update with a hastily-scribbled END OF BOOK 3 / HERE STARTS BOOK 4 ALRIGHT just so y'all will stop whining that the story is "dragging" because of an arbitrary editorial marker.

I was literature just thinking about this, hah

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I just want him to finish the current storylines before he loses another artist.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

nimby posted:

I just want him to finish the current storylines before he loses another artist.

They get paid per-update now through crowdfunding. Those artists aren't going anywhere. Hell, that's probably why the story is taking so long.

The pace of Erfworld doesn't bother me, due to the fact that it at least updates regularly. I love Order of the Stick but the huge wait between updates has slowly drained my enthusiasm for it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Y'know, I hadn't considered that. I'm still in the mindset that the plot can end at any moment to be replaced with a prequel webnovel. Guess I'll stop complaining and enjoy the story :)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah it does occur to me now with the new system having a breaks is probably not productive for their wallets. And the book ends tended to symbolize a new break coming on.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
When they get paid by the fans for each on-time update I wonder if a :words: like this one counts as an update.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"voodoo sex doll"

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

scuba school sucks posted:

When they get paid by the fans for each on-time update I wonder if a :words: like this one counts as an update.

I remember reading this article a while back by the author of an indie graphic novel about how much of the time-effort came from him vs the artist:

http://nomediakings.org/publishing/a_graphic_division_of_labour.html posted:

A lot of people find quantifying the creative process to be distasteful somehow, but I dig hour logging — I keep track of how much time I’m spending on most of my projects. It gives me a way to predict timelines for similar projects in the future, and there’s something geekily satisfying about all that addition at the end of a day. It didn’t really work well with the movie project I’m working on, too many people and too many working styles, but it worked well with Shannon and I on the Sword of My Mouth graphic novel.

[Shannon, by the way, is currently on tour on the west coast — she’s doing a book launch at Lucky’s on Aug. 24th in case you live in Vancouver!]

So here’s a breakdown of how much time we each spent working on the book.

Jim’s hours: 283.8 (writing: 23%, revisions and editing: 16%, publicity: 20%, publishing business: 38%)

Shannon’s hours: 1000+ (drawing)

So basically, Shannon put in 80% of the time even considering I took on publicity and publishing roles. (If I was just doing the writing, it would have been closer to a 90/10% split.)

We’re dividing the money we make 80/20%, but it still feels weird. I mean, I knew it took a long time to draw, but it really takes a long time to draw. This wonky division of labour is something to keep in mind when if you’re ever approaching someone to draw a comic. Even if you’re a slow writer and they’re a fast drawer, you’re still asking them to spend much more time realizing something than you spent creating it. What are you bringing to the project beyond amazing ideas and sparkling prose?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Welp. So much for having an update buffer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

shock and surprise

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Those roughs are very, very rough.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Probably better than what I can do.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
tbh they're actually pretty good for somebody untrained in drawing. The composition and perspectives are pretty good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wow, The Great Minds are really risking the Wrath of Parson with one of those decision trees.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The Great Minds will start openly plotting against Parson the second he starts seriously beating Charlie. They want only themselves as superpower and can tolerate no equals.

It does look like Jed isn't the first sentient item in Erfworld, though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This page, for now at least, feels like filler. Like, yeah they got the pliers back, but I felt like that was something we didn't need to see. Unless something extra happens with Janice which... well it's most likely going to.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

There's so much goddamn filler lately. It really destroys my hope that Balder knows where he's going with this. The occasional flashes of brilliance are the only thing keeping me here; I miss the tight plotting of Book 1. It really feels like a beloved franchise that's been turned over to fans, or something like the Star Wars prequels where the creator is just wallowing around in his creation jerking off.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There's so much goddamn filler lately. It really destroys my hope that Balder knows where he's going with this. The occasional flashes of brilliance are the only thing keeping me here; I miss the tight plotting of Book 1. It really feels like a beloved franchise that's been turned over to fans, or something like the Star Wars prequels where the creator is just wallowing around in his creation jerking off.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the series is crowdfunded per update now. He's in no rush to finish the series as it allows him to run a webcomic for a living without having to get another job. I'd probably do the same if I was in his position. The series would need to take a nosedive in quality to stop people from reading a free comic. Erfworld has also been really good about regular updating, so it's not like they are abusing their fans. It's hard to feel slighted when you have people in the world like Noah Antwiler, who make lots of money on Patreon for almost no content. I'd rather deal with occasional filler than someone like Rich Burlew, who doesn't need the cash but only updates Order of the Stick a couple of times a year.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I actually really like all the text updates. Erfworld is really strong on characterization and I have fun seeing what they do about that, and going into depth about topics like the various caster specializations.

I should probably start dropping them a dollar a month or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I actually really like all the text updates. Erfworld is really strong on characterization and I have fun seeing what they do about that, and going into depth about topics like the various caster specializations.

I should probably start dropping them a dollar a month or something.

Yeah I contribute. I have no idea why everyone is so butt hurt about the pacing and there being, basically, a patreon for the comic.