Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think CW understands well most people watching this do so through Netflix or online venues, as opposed to watching it live, hence moving it to Friday. And honestly, the network understands that the shows that ACTUALLY bring in the ratings they need to sustain themselves are the DC shows + Supernatural. We can't judge CW by the standards of other networks when their highest rated show only manages to get 3 million in ratings and a 1.15 in the 18-49 demo.

Plus despite CEG's low ratings, it still manages to get critical acclaim and is one of the only shows the network has that get major award nominations. So I think they're willing to invest in a show that may not get many ratings, but is still a clear hit with the people who do watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's also one of the few shows made by CBS on a network where they are supposed to have about 50/50 CBS/WB shows on it (all the DC comic books alone are WB).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been binging season 2 and there are a bunch of standout moments but I lost my poo poo at Valencia's"She has a feminist bikini zone!" spoken with such admiration.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lotus circle posted:

I think CW understands well most people watching this do so through Netflix or online venues, as opposed to watching it live, hence moving it to Friday. And honestly, the network understands that the shows that ACTUALLY bring in the ratings they need to sustain themselves are the DC shows + Supernatural. We can't judge CW by the standards of other networks when their highest rated show only manages to get 3 million in ratings and a 1.15 in the 18-49 demo.

Plus despite CEG's low ratings, it still manages to get critical acclaim and is one of the only shows the network has that get major award nominations. So I think they're willing to invest in a show that may not get many ratings, but is still a clear hit with the people who do watch.

Remember thought by those numbers on the CW it's a blockbuster by their standards and is still getting insane key demo numbers compared to the Big 4 shows.

The CW heads are the outliers in the main network world. They've realized that the old school model does not work but are seeing insane returns on streaming and sales and getting tons of free marketing and publicity from social media. Meanwhile NBC is flinging poo poo to the wall in a desperate attempt to not become the 5th ranked network and people have said shows picked up by the CW were pitched to other networks but sent back with comments like "Can you make this more like Law and Order?"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rachel Bloom brought the cast with her to the golden globes!

Also, just a shameless plug, I made a discord for TV discussion, and feel free to talk about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The guy who said this feels like a season 5 episode where they've run out of ideas nailed it.

That guy is obviously not watching Jane the Virgin because this is what it really looks like.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I know the fact that Josh sucks has been established but I don't think we've sufficiently discussed how White Josh also sucks. Why do any of his friends even tolerate him? All he does is make snarky, judgemental comments.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Umm, are you asking how the circle of friends that included Greg tolerated someone making snarky, judgmental comments?

I like him and he's clearly just the grown up of the group and they're the sort of friends who rip on each other. He's basically the straight man (no pun intended) of the group so I enjoy the once or twice an episode he makes a crack about how nuts they all are.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It bugged me that we never really get the sense that Josh and Greg are friends. They don't even really interact with each other.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Skipped reading this thread because I hadn't caught up but there was very little discussion about the latest two episodes anyway? Not really a fan of the sudden new direction ep 9 takes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Skipped reading this thread because I hadn't caught up but there was very little discussion about the latest two episodes anyway? Not really a fan of the sudden new direction ep 9 takes.
I'm waiting to see where it goes. This show has a great track record, I'm willing to give them a chance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I said something like this before, but the abruptness struck me as a Network mandated thing, or perhaps an internal reaction to the show's f(l)ailing ratings. The end of episode 8 is a near complete reset of the show's character drama, back to what it was at the beginning of the season, only without Greg. And then episode nine comes along and throws in a Greg substitute (though the character is obviously more than that).

It's kind of out of character for the show to write Anna off so ungraciously -- even the one episode bitchy nemesis from last season got more compassion in her one episode than Anna got here -- and unlike the show not to have Rebecca and Valencia's false identities unspool in some awkward, public way. It's like they suddenly skipped to the start of the next season.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I like white josh. I don't find him mean or judgemental, just honest. He's def the most self aware and balanced with being flawed. I don't like so much Josh's descent into single figure IQ territory. He's never been smart but man is he now dumb. Its a shame IMHO, there was a lot of mileage in someone person-smart to balance out the book-smart Rebecca

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Is Greg never coming back? Was there a reason the actor left the show?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

clown shoes posted:

Is Greg never coming back? Was there a reason the actor left the show?

They were renewed late enough that Santino found work on other things before he found out there was a season 2. Since this killed the love triangle, which they had planned as an idea to shake up the show anyway, they were all for it.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Senerio posted:

They were renewed late enough that Santino found work on other things before he found out there was a season 2. Since this killed the love triangle, which they had planned as an idea to shake up the show anyway, they were all for it.

Out of curiosity, what show is he on?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I don't think it's a TV show. Might be a movie, but I think it was Broadway.Here's him talking about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought he had only signed on for one season as it was, due to not wanting to be away from the NY scene from too long, and then agreed to let them write him out naturally when the renewal came through?

e: also I actually miss Valencia more than Greg right now

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 11, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

FactsAreUseless posted:

It bugged me that we never really get the sense that Josh and Greg are friends. They don't even really interact with each other.

I liked the chemistry that they had performing "Tapped That rear end" together. It really was one of the only times they interacted in a way where I was like oh right, yes, these guys are supposed to be besties.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I liked the chemistry that they had performing "Tapped That rear end" together. It really was one of the only times they interacted in a way where I was like oh right, yes, these guys are supposed to be besties.
And even that wasn't really them, it was Rebecca's polterguys.

(I love that pun still.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, that was a great song.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the main reason Josh and Greg never had any real comraderie was that the love triangle was so front and center from the start. Everything they did was basically about Rebecca so they were rivals in some way or another. It's like they failed a reverse Bechdel test.

Honestly, none of the guys have had much time to just be friends. That's probably why someone might not like White Josh since most of his role before Darryl has been to note how insane Rebecca is and be confused about Josh and Greg's infatuations.

And yeah, I found Valencia's a sense as the most unfortunate part of the past two episodes. They had done so much work to integrate her into Rebecca's social circle and then she conveniently disappears when they put Rebecca and Josh back together. Hopefully they're just holding her back so she can discover it after its begun but her absence was noticed.

But yeah, I'm going to give it time before any reservations get the best of me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
YELLOW DIAMOND SONG

e:
"I don't want to bring up the holocaust
I know, I know, the holocaust
But the holocaust was a really big deal
Remember that we suffered!"

Senerio fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 13, 2017

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
I have never identified with a TV character more than with Dr.Akopian in that last scene.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"I'm just gonna Soul Train out of here."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
"I started with a hypothesis and then backed it up with a Vox article. It's a standard scientific method."

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sinistral posted:

I have never identified with a TV character more than with Dr.Akopian in that last scene.

Yes. That poor woman.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Aside from White Josh and Hector, this episode had basically all mayor side characters in them.
The work crew, Heather, Valencia, Naomi, Dr. Akopian, Audra, Father Bra. I guess that's supposed to be expected in an episode which is all about telling people your relationship status and seeing them interact with your significant other.

Just imagine how frustrated Dr. Akopian must feel. She has basically been telling Rebecca to search for her own problems from the start. Then her old rabbi gives her the exact same advice and she actually listens to her instead. But the minute she's back in therapy everything breaks down again. Bursting into a therapy session is extremely rude and awful, Josh.

And that's a weak payoff for the Garfunkel ring. I still think that Josh should have randomly stumbled on it when he was looking for an engagement ring for Valencia in season 1.

Speaking of Valencia, she will probably be quite pissed at Josh now. Apparently he can ask the question and doesn't need dozens of years.

But despite all her bad decision making, I still really feel for Rebecca. Coming back to a house with which you don't associate anything positive is an awful feeling. Worst of all, you fall back into patterns and feel exactly as you did back then.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 14, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I identify with the exact way Maya says "D-Money."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love BLAM!

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

"I'm just gonna Soul Train out of here."

God, this was so incredibly good. I need more Heather.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Thank god this has improved a bit. So glad they had a realisation that these plotlines were a) rubbish, b) going nowhere interesting, and decided to pretty much hit the reset button and start the season over again with Josh and Rebecca as a couple.

V pleased that Sunil is apparently never to be spoken of or mentioned ever again.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I still have to catch up on this week's episode because I refuse to watch it without my bestie and I am the worst at scheduling but the double bill that came out was super meh and disjointed. Like everyone else has pointed out how the show handled Anna(?) was really terrible. She went from being so hot for Josh she rode him in the bathroom on the sink (not even a stall) to dumping him five minutes later for literally nothing. It was really bad and abrupt writing from a show that normally excels at subverting that lazy kind of plot device. Rebecca losing Tommy being totally fine was weird to me as well. Paula forgives her because "I lost him at a mall!" but the issue isn't just that Rebecca lost Tommy it's that she was so wet for Josh she took him to a night club. Even if she hadn't lost him that's still super bad.

Nathaniel is my man and I literally cannot wait for him to bang Rebecca and ruin all that horrific cutesy talk she does with Josh. I'm super glad there's finally a character who is directly acknowledging how dumb Josh is and that it's causing Rebecca to see him the same way I do i.e. "bwah wbah ubwahha amish bush". I mean he kept using the phrase "poo person" these last few episodes :rolleyes: Also gently caress his parents for taking a shot at Valencia, she was too good for your shortlegged overbuff moron.

e:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

V pleased that Sunil is apparently never to be spoken of or mentioned ever again.

He was terrible and real bitch, was pretty clear why his wife killed herself tbh.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

EmmyOk posted:

I still have to catch up on this week's episode because I refuse to watch it without my bestie and I am the worst at scheduling but the double bill that came out was super meh and disjointed. Like everyone else has pointed out how the show handled Anna(?) was really terrible. She went from being so hot for Josh she rode him in the bathroom on the sink (not even a stall) to dumping him five minutes later for literally nothing. It was really bad and abrupt writing from a show that normally excels at subverting that lazy kind of plot device. Rebecca losing Tommy being totally fine was weird to me as well. Paula forgives her because "I lost him at a mall!" but the issue isn't just that Rebecca lost Tommy it's that she was so wet for Josh she took him to a night club. Even if she hadn't lost him that's still super bad.

Nathaniel is my man and I literally cannot wait for him to bang Rebecca and ruin all that horrific cutesy talk she does with Josh. I'm super glad there's finally a character who is directly acknowledging how dumb Josh is and that it's causing Rebecca to see him the same way I do i.e. "bwah wbah ubwahha amish bush". I mean he kept using the phrase "poo person" these last few episodes :rolleyes: Also gently caress his parents for taking a shot at Valencia, she was too good for your shortlegged overbuff moron.

e:

He was terrible and real bitch, was pretty clear why his wife killed herself tbh.

I agree, normally CXG is better at making their plot devices well rounded people. And what happened to Trent??
I just feel that the actors were good, and the characters could have been used in a more natural manner. It was necessary for Sunil to show Paula how crappy bex could be (boy was I rooting for it) , but "poof now gone" is a bit lovely. Same with Anna.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I already made this argument but I didn't have a problem with the Anna stuff. The whole subtext of their relationship was that she was "too good" for Josh and just seemed to be blind to it because she was attracted to him. That absurd mall model thing just opened her eyes and embarrassed her. It was kind of a douchey thing to just walk out like that but there's no real nice way to say "you're a giant man child and I'm embarrassed that I didn't see that and was attracted to you." It was sudden but I think we're kind of deluding ourselves by saying CXG doesn't work like that sometimes.

Sunil's absence felt a little more "unexplained" but I felt the same way about Valencia and they dealt with that neatly enough. I'm willing to assume that Paula still hangs with him before and after class but now that poo poo's gotten crazy at home and work and she's reconnected with Rebecca she just doesn't have the time to hang with him. But they could tie it up neatly with a scene at school.

Trent coming and going is the one that bothers me. You'd think that after sleeping with Rebecca he'd be more obsessed and ever present. That seems like a character that the show just wants around as a joke and it makes me a little sad since he was fun.

But also, a lot of this is that these are just the characters who aren't connected to the center of Rebecca's social circle. Like, Darryl never disappears because Rebecca works for him. If Darryl and White Josh broke up WJ probably wouldn't disappear because he's friends with Josh. When you cut the connection Anna, Sunil, or Trent have they can disappear more easily because its the only one they have. That's kind of why I was ok with the "I needed a few days" excuse for Valencia disappearing because her ties have been cut with pretty much everyone but Rebecca so if she didn't want to be around Rebecca because of Josh she kind of does naturally disappear.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 16, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

Rebecca losing Tommy being totally fine was weird to me as well. Paula forgives her because "I lost him at a mall!" but the issue isn't just that Rebecca lost Tommy it's that she was so wet for Josh she took him to a night club. Even if she hadn't lost him that's still super bad.

Paula's attitude to her kids has always been very blasé and laissez-faire. I wouldn't expect her to react any other way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Paula not being a very attentive/good mom has been the joke all along.

Its why I think the stuff about Anna coming off bad and it being unlike the show are odd. Like... everyone comes off bad on this show if you think about it. Except maybe White Josh.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I'm just glad Glenn got his job back.

Season is improving due to better plot focus and funnier jokes. Rachel's RL husband wrote this last episode.. it was pretty tight. Also, "I'm So Maternal" is a thing of beauty, and I am wearing that outfit to the next wedding I attend..

Also, the water polo poo poo in the office slays me.

Also, I need to go back and check now.. is there a poop reference in every single episode?

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 16, 2017

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Except maybe White Josh.

Judgemental vain dorkus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That was a much better episode than the previous two. I thought this episode was going to confirm Rebecca and Josh staying together but now I'm not sure due to the proposal which is definitely a really bad thing for Rebecca's growth. I thought Nathaniel was being set up to torpedo their relationship but maybe not or perhaps he will only be a factor in it. I could see Heather and Nathaniel being FWB an that really upsetting Rebecca too. The season definitely seems to be tightening up and improving now though the songs have been weaker.

e: Also I spent last season telling everyone how great Valencia is and every scene with her this season has vindicated me.

e2: Love Kernels is the best song this season and one of the best satires of modern pop song music videos.

e3: Also I totally agree with whomever called Nathaniel this season's Greg because that's totally how I pegged him at first too. Definitely his own character and different from Greg but very much filling the role of the cool (temperature and :coal:) outsider who honestly critiques Rebecca.

e4: This is also the first episode in long time that shows why someone might be in to Josh.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 18, 2017

• Locked thread