Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
drat, you are a good brother. Nice find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Is there an evidence that DSG's fail more often than comparable manual or automatic transmissions?

I'm looking at a 2012 DSG GTI with 107k miles

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think that model is sort of okay. It's the early 7 speed in low powered models you need to really watch out for.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The DSG is fine, the mechatronic unit in some of the earlier models liked to poo poo themselves though.

In theory buying a used DSG is probably safer than a used manual. It's much harder for an idiot to break a DSG than wear a clutch out early.

e: 107k in 4 years is also likely a lot of highway driving.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

willroc7 posted:

Is it really that much bigger than a 4 door GTI? Also, strongly recommend continental DW tires.

I'm just getting around to getting tires because the tires on this thing are absolutely horrible in the snow (bridgestone potenza re97a). I would normally get a set of winter tires on steelies and a set of summer tires on the OEM wheels but I'm used to rear wheel drive cars and I'm not sure I need to go to that extreme. When you said Continental DW did you mean the DWS all season tires? If so, how are they in the snow? I live in Utah and it's been pretty snowy lately and my car hass been slip-sliding everywhere. I've never had such a hard time driving in the winter as I have with these bridgestones.

I'm leaning towards Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ though, as the price is right, and the Pilot Super Sport is my go-to summer tire for RWD.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I meant DW's for summer. I've read good things about the DWS all-seaons, but I don't have first hand experience with them. They have decent ratings on tirerack for snow, though. I run blizzaks and conti wintercontact SI's personally in the winter.

The Michelins should be good as well, I just though the contis were a bit cheaper.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
DWS is great in snow, for about the first 10k miles. After that they might as well be summer tires.
Get a winter set.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I got a good deal on the pilot sport a/s 3+ which get a 7.8 rating on tirerack in the snow category. My current all seasons get a 3. We are having a particularly bad winter here this year so I think these will be ok for what we typically get and will be way better than what I've got.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 5, 2017

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
2009 mk5 GTI. Some internet searching suggests there are 3 motor mounts: transmission, right side, and front. I'm confused because Rock auto lists more. It's the TSI engine with dsg. Anyone more knowledgeable know for sure without me doing a scavenger hunt in the engine bay?

Edit: ok, finally got it straight. Was getting thrown offby naming convention. Has a motor mount, then the other side is a transmission mount, and a pendulum mount on thebottom.

PabloBOOM fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 7, 2017

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I know we've got a youtube thread, but since this is the TTRS assembly line I thought I'd share this here. Fun watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXI7K3GX0BM

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mods please change thread title to "itty bitty TT committee"

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Anyone know what's going on with the buybacks? I submitted my paperwork back In November and have not received a final offer.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Withnail posted:

Anyone know what's going on with the buybacks? I submitted my paperwork back In November and have not received a final offer.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798332

That is the buyback thread. For me, it took about 3 weeks from submitting to get the paperwork looks good notification. It was then another 6-7 weeks to get the offer. Once I got the offer, I got the approval to set up a turn in date the same day that submitted the notarized form. The earliest turn in date was about 6 weeks out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

GutBomb posted:

I got a good deal on the pilot sport a/s 3+ which get a 7.8 rating on tirerack in the snow category. My current all seasons get a 3. We are having a particularly bad winter here this year so I think these will be ok for what we typically get and will be way better than what I've got.

Just like the comment above about the DWS these are ok winter tires for some undetermined amount of miles and then they're really terrifying. First winter with mine I wondered why I even bothered switching to my winter tires. Then this winter rolls around and I managed two days of being ultimate drift champion before I broke and ended up putting on the winters in 20F.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Apparently I need to replace my battery for a 08' GTI. Any idea what's a good battery? It doesn't snow where I live (if that matters?).

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Surprisingly enough, Walmart has the best car batteries; the Everstart Maxx series comes with a 3 years free replacement warranty and another 2 years pro-rated after that. https://www.battfinder.com

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Absolutely infuriated by the inability to disable traction/stability control on my '16 Jetta. I drove in snow the other day and it was horrid. Completely incapable of having any fun whatsoever. I'm about to get rid of my lease just because of this.

Can't even do an e brake turn without it intervening. gently caress you VW forever.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Voltage posted:

Absolutely infuriated by the inability to disable traction/stability control on my '16 Jetta.
~$100

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Or you could use VAGCOM or that one new thing that is super cheap.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Voltage posted:

Absolutely infuriated by the inability to disable traction/stability control on my '16 Jetta. I drove in snow the other day and it was horrid. Completely incapable of having any fun whatsoever. I'm about to get rid of my lease just because of this.

Can't even do an e brake turn without it intervening. gently caress you VW forever.

You mean gently caress you safety standards that almost every single vehicle you buy new in tyool 2016 has? Btw, my car will let me completely disable traction control, but it was also a 15000 dollar option over a regular golf.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

You mean gently caress you safety standards that almost every single vehicle you buy new in tyool 2016 has? Btw, my car will let me completely disable traction control, but it was also a 15000 dollar option over a regular golf.

Sup Golf R buddy

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I couldn't disable it by default in my (last gen) R but a VagCom and laptop later wow I most certainly can. Also I turned on the ability to roll up and down my windows with the keyfob because what the gently caress VW why can't I do that normally?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So you can set up turning stability control off on the fly with VCDS? Might have to actually buy it then.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I've got an OBDEleven coming in the mail for my Skoda. The main feature I'm after is the traffic data on the head unit as I hate having a button which does nothing. It's funny how the VW group has features you can enable for $80.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

fknlo posted:

So you can set up turning stability control off on the fly with VCDS? Might have to actually buy it then.
If by "on the fly" you mean pulling over, turning off the car, hooking up the cable and your laptop and spending a couple minutes changing settings. If you want to be able to flip it on and off at will you'll need a physical switch.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is incorrect, at least on the MK7 GTI. With Vagcom and obd11 you can set the TC off button to completely disabled TC.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

That is incorrect, at least on the MK7 GTI. With Vagcom and obd11 you can set the TC off button to completely disabled TC.
We're talking about the Jetta, which has no TC off button.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

bizwank posted:

We're talking about the Jetta, which has no TC off button.

fknlo has a mk7 GTI

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Reading comprehension is hard.

What kind of car do you guys think veedubfreak has?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He has a MK7 Golf-R

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

willroc7 posted:

Reading comprehension is hard.

What kind of car do you guys think veedubfreak has?

a nice GTI

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahahahaha.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

a nice GTI

It used to be nice, then some fuckhead with no insurance caused 12k worth of damage, now I have a repaired AWD GTI.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

It used to be nice, then some fuckhead with no insurance caused 12k worth of damage, now I have a repaired AWD GTI.

:hfive:

I'm up to about $12k on the damage estimate on mine. Still only a FWD GTI though. At least my dude has insurance!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

:hfive:

I'm up to about $12k on the damage estimate on mine. Still only a FWD GTI though. At least my dude has insurance!

At least he was cited for no insurance and the county it happened in sued him by default, so I'm getting my rental overage and deductible back. 100 bucks a month.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you know if it's possible to set it up like the R where you hold it down different lengths to disable traction control and then stability control or is it an all in one deal? Either way it's still something I'd find interesting for when I want to play in snow or whatever. When I'm not crashing into people of course.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I took out my non navigation factory stereo and put in a jvc unit that has apple CarPlay but what's really cool is that it ties into OBDII and can display gauges like a boost gauge and g-meter, etc right on the stereo screen. It retains all of the factory functionality with the climate control pop ups, steering wheel controls, and the little screen in the gauge cluster. Of course it adds navigation with apple maps through CarPlay. JVC/Kenwood have Android Auto capable units too that do the same poo poo.

Not sure if anyone's interested in a blow by blow but here's how I did it. I had to order the stereo, a dash kit to get it to fit in the cavity left by the factory unit, a computer module that lets it tie into all of the systems called idatamaestro rr, and an idatamaestro vw1 interface cable. You take the idatamaestro rr module and hook it up to your computer via USB and flash it with a firmware downloaded from idatamaestro's website after telling it what car it's going into and which stereo you have. Once you've done that you solder the wires from the wiring harness included with the stereo to the wires on the idatamaestro vw1 cable following the guide they give you. You pull out the factory head unit, put the new head unit in the dash kit, plug all the cables in to the back of it, and connect everything up. The final piece is to snake the ODBII wires that come off the vw1 cable under the dash to the back of the ODBII connector and splice in to the two orange wires on the back of it (orange in the case of the GLI anyway)

Everything works really well. The only problem I had was getting the gauges to work. It asks what engine type you have and I put in 2.0L TSI and it didn't work but on a random forum post I saw someone with a GTI with the same issue that tried 2.0L FSI and it worked which worked for me as well.

You'll also need an antenna cable adapter if you listen to the radio, and a rear view camera converter cable which only seems to be available on aliexpress.

Now I have USB ports, good phone integration, navigation, and a more comfortable commute being able to listen to and dictate texts.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone have experience with the D2 A8L? I'm going to look at a cheap one tomorrow with 160K. Timing belt and trans rebuilt already, which are the main things i found from some light googling.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I've inherited a 96 Golf and the drivers seat feels like its had half its stuffing removed. Would it be possible to swap the driver and passenger seat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Spaseman posted:

I've inherited a 96 Golf and the drivers seat feels like its had half its stuffing removed. Would it be possible to swap the driver and passenger seat?

Likely easier to find a junk yard seat or have it redone. Switching seats in cars is kind of hard these days.